[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks Vs. Edmonton Soilers, Rogers Arena, September 30, @ 6PM PST, Preseason Game #4 Redemption

Truefan99

Who will win?  

126 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

2. 2. Which team opens scoring?

3. 3. How many goals will Vancouver score?

This poll is closed to new votes

What an opportunity for McWard.  

Didn’t exactly steal the show with Woo and Juulsen really struggling, but he has a chance to run with it here.

If McWard holds down the fort I could see us circling back on Bear later in the season based on his recovery vs team injuries / cap situation.  

• Upvote 1

Bottom 6 looks like a pain to play against.  Undersized maybe, but good energy and some guys who can score.

Bleuger really adds class to that 4th line - and you have to love how Aman and Studnicka came in and fought for jobs.

You’d have to hope Joshua and/or Podkolzin try and claw their way back into the lineup but so far this makes sense.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Well BJ MacDonald scored 40 goals once with Gretzky feeding him.  Now EP might not be as good as Gretzky, Boeser is a heckuva better player than BJ.  He's got the potential... it's on his shoulders to take that next step.

We've already seen time and time again that they don't play well together.  Bowser isn't a player we don't know anything about.  I think he can be serviceable player and maybe supply some secondary scoring, but he shouldn't be anywhere near Petey's line.

33 minutes ago, The Duke said:

Well.. this is about how I saw it shaping up with Mikheyev out and McWard in over Juulsen / Woo.

Tocchet going all in here - hopefully the team responds.

Let's hope that's not the team.to start the season

31 minutes ago, The Duke said:

Didn’t exactly steal the show with Woo and Juulsen really struggling, but he has a chance to run with it here.

If McWard holds down the fort I could see us circling back on Bear later in the season based on his recovery vs team injuries / cap situation.  

I feel like Hirose could be good enough that Bear would not be needed here again.

• Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

Let's hope that's not the team.to start the season

Genuinely curious - What would you change up? 

If Mikheyev is out, I’d prefer Joshua on the 3rd line instead of Hoglander.. and I don’t love Soucy/Myers but the team seems to want Cole-Hronek.

11 minutes ago, Vollmilch90 said:

I feel like Hirose could be good enough that Bear would not be needed here again.

Hirose is great but he’s also a lefty.  

Bear’s biggest plus is he’s a righty.  He’s not a perfect fit by any means but they played well last year and it’s a premium position.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Seems like McWard is a placeholder until better options become available through trade/waivers.

Or he could turn into a mainstay?

Scouts were high on him and Allvin landed him. McWard picked Van afterall.

Could be like found money, the same way they got Chris Tanev.  Certainly good to curb high expectation, but who knows right. I like what I've seen so far at least

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, Huggy Bear said:

It’s hard to argue that’s not the most optimal lineup.

forwards

• Last year’s top six, with proven chemistry, and our best chance of scoring
  • End the Höglander experiment, but use his energy/skill on the third line
  • Reward Åman and Studnicka for big Summers, keeping the 4th line intact

defence

• Continue the McWard-Hughes experiment with sheltered deployment
  • Build on the Cole - Hronek chemistry, and test their shutdown ability
  • Soucy-Myers is a big, quality 3rd line with complimentary styles 

goalies

• No more tryouts, these are (obviously) our two goalies 

Excellent call. I have the same read. I wrote down my preferred line-up yesterday and this is it. The biggest question mark is obviously McWard. But this is the experiment I would try for now. One issue is that the guys pushed out of the starting 6: Irwin, Wolanin, Brisebois, and Juulsen, have not looked particularly good. Juulsen has been disappointing and the other three guys have been ok but have not really make a claim on the #6 spot. (And the other guys --Woo, Rathbone, and Johansson) have not made a serious bid to make the NHL roster.

With the forwards, it makes sense to drop Hogs down the line-up. He has not shown the same level of finishing skill as Beau. The big questions there are i) can Joshua force his way into the line-up and ii) what happens when Mik is healthy. Joshua probably plays the next game and will have a shot to displace Aman, Studnicka, or maybe Hogs.

As for Mik being healthy, the odds suggest that someone else will pick up an injury soon, but if everyone is healthy, Mik goes to the first line and Beau probably goes to the 3rd line with Garland and Suter and we have 4 guys battling for two wing positions.

• Cheers 1

20 hours ago, Strawbone said:

Apparently there's still a bunch out there, but they haven't been in circulation for some time. I remember them though because I'm old. My brother in law bought a car with $1000's once, the only time I've seen them in person. I'd still be pretty excited to find one in my pocket today. I assume it's still legal tender.

1988-1000-dollar-verso_John-Crow-1200x400.jpg

Given how Trudeau has run the economy to the toilet, this bill will soon end up just paying for a tank of gas 

1 hour ago, The Duke said:

True unless McWard plays well enough to stick.So far he might just do that.

I feel like a 3rd line of

Hoglander-Suter-Garland be a solid pest line. Hope the boys start to gel. I'd go

Beauvillier-Petey-Kuz

DI Giuseppe-Miller-Boes

Hoglander-Suter-Garland

Bains-Bluegar-Stud

Hughes-McWard

Cole-Hronek

Soucey-Myers

Demmer 

DeSmith

Replaces Di Giuseppe with Michayev first chance of him healthy. Like to see Hirose or Juulsen as extra D rotating in and out at some point

1 hour ago, Vollmilch90 said:

Hirose is a lefty though. Tocc said he wants lefty/righty pairings. They still need a righty (unless Willander jumps up that fast...?) Once Myers (TDL) and Coles contract expire there will be full time jobs avail. Hopefully Hirose can earn one next year but until then he's seems like a great 7th man. Really like his calm and collected game.

Just now, Bobby Lou said:

I feel like a 3rd line of

Hoglander-Suter-Garland be a solid pest line. Hope the boys start to gel. I'd go

Beauvillier-Petey-Kuz

DI Giuseppe-Miller-Boes

Hoglander-Suter-Garland

Bains-Bluegar-Stud

Hughes-McWard

Cole-Hronek

Soucey-Myers

Demmer 

DeSmith

Replaces Di Giuseppe with Michayev first chance of him healthy. Like to see Hirose or Juulsen as extra D rotating in and out at some point

So far looks like Hirose is the next as he has played better that are not in the lineup.

• Like 1