[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks Vs. Edmonton Soilers, Rogers Arena, September 30, @ 6PM PST, Preseason Game #4 Redemption

Truefan99

Who will win?  

126 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

2. 2. Which team opens scoring?

3. 3. How many goals will Vancouver score?

This poll is closed to new votes

1 hour ago, -dlc- said:

Major takeaway is the team is almost set right now.  Unlike last year under Boudreau and the year before under Green, where they left a bunch of bubble guys  on the team until the last minute.  This year they are serious about setting the team early and having the last 3 home games with virtually a set roster. Juulsen Wolanin Brisebois and McWard will battle for 3 spots.  And that's about it. Forwards are basically set right now. 

This needed to happen to avoid a slow start. Smart.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, stawns said:

Disappointed with hogz?  I thought he played great last night

He's looking good out there but again, not producing - a lot like Garland. He played on our top line for big parts of the pre-season and hasn't scored which is a shame. I think he's got a spot in our team, at the very least on the 4th line, but hopefully he's not snake-bitten all season long like he has been.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

i’d like to see Rathbone moved maybe he’ll get a chance elsewhere, I just don't see a fit here 

Someone may claim Woo or Rathbone but I really doubt it. Rathbone just can’t seem to wrap his head around playing the type of game he needs to for an NHL job. Maybe somewhere else he would get a different opportunity who knows. 

1 hour ago, Odd. said:

Joshua has a spot on this team because of his physicality and willingness to fight. Especially when no one else among our forwards except Miller is capable of doing so.

So it can just be forgotten that he didn't work hard in the summer like most of the players did and come into the season in the best shape possible? He shouldn't be gifted a spot because they don't have anyone else to fight. Just says that what he decided to not do is ok which is work hard and prepare himself to battle.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82

2 hours ago, Goal_thecup said:

IBM ThinkPad says you won the Sunday Morning Think Post Challenge: 5 thinks!

I still have one in The Forgotten Works (my basement 'den'):

Ibm laptop hi-res stock photography and images - Alamy

Thing weighed about 8 pounds without the 3 or 4 pound adapter, cords, etc; just a frick'n beast.

To be fair...... "I thinks" x3

"Podz thinks" x2.... 😄 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, -dlc- said:

Thing is, this is where the league's supposed to have it covered.

It's one thing to be able to take a good solid hit or even fight. But this dirty stuff has no business in hockey anymore and retaliating never gets us anywhere except suspended. The Oilers are complete trash, that's become obvious. They're Mcdirty as can be yet the biggest whiners when they're penalized (Bouchard, Nurse). They cry.

Ya I thought they are trying to take out the dirty stuff - I heard they’re gonna take out fighting eventually - I think the Quebec Major Junior league has taken it out completely… I think that’s good because it leads to concussions… brain damage 

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

So it can just be forgotten that he didn't work hard in the summer like most of the players did and come into the season in the best shape possible? He shouldn't be gifted a spot because they don't have anyone else to fight. Just says that what he decided to not do is ok which is work hard and prepare himself to battle.

It shouldn't be forgotten.  When they get more players with size, grit and speed they will cut him.  

Tocchet has let him know that not showing up to camp in shape is not ok particularly when every player was told.

If it takes a year, and does it again, he will be cut.

All of the other players had good summers.  They all know.  

42 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

He's looking good out there but again, not producing - a lot like Garland. He played on our top line for big parts of the pre-season and hasn't scored which is a shame. I think he's got a spot in our team, at the very least on the 4th line, but hopefully he's not snake-bitten all season long like he has been.

Put them in the top 6, they'll get points.  It's unfortunate that they both have multifaceted games that allows them to play different roles, where Boeser and AB (to a degree) are one trick ponies and have to be top 6 or be invisible.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

i’d like to see Rathbone moved maybe he’ll get a chance elsewhere, I just don't see a fit here 

Some guys just are unable to take that last step and or need a change of scenery.  Not going to knock the Benning acquisition because you sign guys like Rathbone all the time if you can.  But he's been given enough time unlike say Forsling who never had the opportunity here.  Not all solid prospects become NHLers.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, stawns said:

Put them in the top 6, they'll get points.  It's unfortunate that they both have multifaceted games that allows them to play different roles, where Boeser and AB (to a degree) are one trick ponies and have to be top 6 or be invisible.

EP is so good, he can bank it off a guys helmet so that guy could get a secondary assist (as well as Hughes or Miller)

• Vintage 1

23 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Forsling who never had the opportunity here.

The Forsling stuff is extremely overblown.

Canucks traded him to Chicago. Chicago didn't want him either and moved him to Carolina. Carolina put him on a waivers. And he cleared! Basically any team could have claimed him but nobody did. Then Carolina put him on waivers A 2ND time and Florida finally picked him up.

Forsling had plenty of opportunity to find his game. Somewhere. Anywhere.

It just didn't happen until 4 teams and 7 years later.

It's a common tale. Doesn't mean much.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, fanfor42 said:

Major takeaway is the team is almost set right now.  Unlike last year under Boudreau and the year before under Green, where they left a bunch of bubble guys  on the team until the last minute.  This year they are serious about setting the team early and having the last 3 home games with virtually a set roster. Juulsen Wolanin Brisebois and McWard will battle for 3 spots.  And that's about it. Forwards are basically set right now. 

This needed to happen to avoid a slow start. Smart.

Kind of goes to show I think PA is doing a better job in 2 years, than Benning did in 8. We actually have some depth. Our players are learning in Abby.

He's getting a lot of under the radar signings. But he's improved the defence a lot over the summer. But the proof is in the pudding.

• Cheers 1

38 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Not going to knock the Benning acquisition [Rathbone]

They drafted him in the 5th round in 2017.  Kids drafted that late are a long shot to become NHL players anyway. But Rathbone has been plagued by injuries and concussions on top of that. Totally sidelined his career.

5 minutes ago, Canuckle said:

The Forsling stuff is extremely overblown.

Canucks traded him to Chicago. Chicago didn't want him either and moved him to Carolina. Carolina put him on a waivers. And he cleared! Basically any team could have claimed him but nobody did. Then Carolina put him on waivers A 2ND time and Florida finally picked him up.

Forsling had plenty of opportunity to find his game. Somewhere. Anywhere.

It just didn't happen until 4 teams and 7 years later.

It's a common tale. Doesn't mean much.

I don't give a **** about other teams, I'm specifically referred to *THIS* team.

And for the umpteenth time, he did find his game under Quennville in Chicage (first team he was traded to).  But his game went south after coach Q was gone.  He couldn't stick in Carolina because they were deep on the blueline (and still fairly are today).  He regained his form in Florida under...coach Q.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Canuckle said:

They drafted him in the 5th round in 2017.  Kids drafted that late are a long shot to become NHL players anyway. But Rathbone has been plagued by injuries and concussions on top of that. Totally sidelined his career.

Sure guys drafted that far are bound to have warts (else they likely would've been drafted earlier).  But he had real skill.  Just hasn't been able to 'take that next step'.  You still take chances on these kind of prospects even if most of them will likely fail.  Better to 'swing for the fences' at at round than go for a 'safe pick' that likely will be no better than a minor leaguer (if that).  Imho.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Sure guys drafted that far are bound to have warts (else they likely would've been drafted earlier).  But he had real skill.  Just hasn't been able to 'take that next step'.  You still take chances on these kind of prospects even if most of them will likely fail.  Better to 'swing for the fences' at at round than go for a 'safe pick' that likely will be no better than a minor leaguer (if that).  Imho.

Benning seemed to be in a rush to retool and made some really poor decisions with his trades.Makes you wonder if he was pressured to do so.

Just now, Joe King said:

Benning seemed to be in a rush to retool and made some really poor decisions with his trades.Makes you wonder if he was pressured to do so.

Yeah I'm willing to cut him some slack because I think he had pressure from ownership.  Seems like the owner thinks he's Jerry Jones (except at least that guy has a few SuperBowl rings (granted now a long time ago).