[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks Vs. Edmonton Soilers, Rogers Arena, September 30, @ 6PM PST, Preseason Game #4 Redemption

Truefan99

Who will win?  

126 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

2. 2. Which team opens scoring?

3. 3. How many goals will Vancouver score?

This poll is closed to new votes

1 hour ago, iinatcc said:

I think we have to set expectations that this could be a reality for Podkolzin. I get he's a 1st round pick but maybe he is just one of those 1st round picks that never lives up to his draft position.

His KHL numbers don't look great and that should already have given us a hint what his NHL ceiling might look.

I think, more likely, if he does become an NHL player he's going to be more a bottom 6 winger than a regular top 6. If he does become a Top 6, this is basically gravy.

I'm hoping the organization takes Pods to a new defensive role in Abby. If he can define a solid D role he can be an NHLer. I have some hope his offence will kick in at some point, but he needs to find an identity in case it doesn't. 

1 hour ago, Goal_thecup said:

Ah yes.  Asses Management. 

Like JR's personal mandate to Manage Up and keep the asses in their seats, and leave the team to him.

That was my post; you left out some bits.

I admit I should have phrased it better to mean that JR had to manage the asses (owners et al) above him.

Keep those asses in their own executive seats, keep them from interfering.

That sort of thing, and I liked the Asses Management tag too.

I really like new management and the ways they are improving the team.

Cheers  GCG

1 hour ago, Canuckle said:

Lol. Succinct.

I don't think it's the same with Jim Rutherford tho, tbh. He wouldn't tolerate it. Jim was at home enjoying his retirement; doesn't really need the job. Aqua even flew out to his house in North Carolina to ask him to do it.

Afterall, Rutherford has been in the  biz over 50 years in virtually every position.  Multiple cups, knows what it takes to win, and how to do it.

72 years old and too old for bullshit. And if there was any interference he'd leave the drop of a hat. I have no doubt.

Of course asses in seats (selling the procuct) is the bottomline in any billion dollar company, but he took over at a time the majority of the heavy lifting was already done. The new stars were already acquired. Now he and Allvin  get to complete the fun part.

• Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, Goal_thecup said:

That was my post; you left out some bits.

I admit I should have phrased it better to mean that JR had to manage the asses (owners et al) above him.

Keep those asses in their own executive seats, keep them from interfering.

That sort of thing, and I liked the Asses Management tag too.

I really like new management and the ways they are improving the team.

Cheers  GCG

Ah my bad. Lol

And 100% with you.

Cheers indeed. Thats a beer for you, good human.

5 hours ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

So it can just be forgotten that he didn't work hard in the summer like most of the players did and come into the season in the best shape possible? He shouldn't be gifted a spot because they don't have anyone else to fight. Just says that what he decided to not do is ok which is work hard and prepare himself to battle.

If that is true and he showed up out of shape, after exit meetings in the Spring and with opportunity presented  and commitment expected in return, we don't need to groom another JV 2.0 and maybe he should have been sent down in the 1st group? (He must have given RT a great excuse for the benefit of doubt)

I thought we were past excuses and country club ( more especially when you are a role player)

• Jess unfeatured and unpinned this topic
16 hours ago, Outsiders said:

Went to the game last night as I wanted to see a game not from a TV screen. I found a noticed a lot more being in person.

My thoughts:

Myers - good lord he is complete chaos out there. Every time he went on the ice it was an experience. I cannot wait until we get rid of him and can't believe he's carved out a 1000 game career. Scary 

Boeser - The fall off on his game is just something else. He'll be lucky to score 20 this season the way he's going. Always laughing and joking around out there. He is the last "country club" member that needs to go.

PDG - Man I shit on the guy but he's doing something. No way he should be in the top 6 (which is why I think he bothers me) but gotta give credit where it is due. Making the most of it.

Aman/Stud - were ok but for a fourth line I'd like to see some sandpaper. Joshua isn't that guy, friendly giant. Find one on waivers. 

Cole/Soucy - Played fine nothing fancy which is what we need. Physically needs to be upped but I assume they are saving that for reg season.

McWard - I thought he was our second best D after Hughes in terms of moving the puck. He was making all the right reads and was vocal out there. His transition game is very good and kept it simple. Reminds me of a young Ben Hutton. I thought 1 or 2 of the penalties he took were soft "pre-season" calls by the refs. Tough break for the kid. Whether he makes the team or not, he looks to be a good future player for us. 

Hronek - didn't really notice him. Not sure if thats a good thing or bad. We gave up a lot for him. Hoping his offensive game translates here.

Team as a whole we are way too soft. I know it was pre-season but we have to play heavier. Some guys looked like they were out there for a skate. You noticed it. I just don't see the killer instinct in our group. It might be another long season if toughness/grit isn't addressed

I think we are in assessment mode still and there are definitely changes still to be made. 

I wanted so much for Myers to work out, mainly because he is not "smurf like" and because he tuned up one of our most hated enemies in Duncan Keith. Its not going to happen though.

Although I think Boeser has tried to overcome his "Country Club" membership, he is a life time member. He will need to go eventually along with Myers.

PDG sure surprised me as well. I didn't see it last year but he has made an impression which I am sure he will be rewarded for. His willingness to get involved with the Miller incident had me sold.

Joshua I thought was going to be a part of the solution but man what a big disappointment this year. Another fail in that player we have been searching for , for ever. 

Luckily for us though that this management group hasn't overpaid our checkers so we can interchange them when needed and send down or let go of underperformers. 

1 hour ago, EdgarM said:

Although I think Boeser has tried to overcome his "Country Club" membership, he is a life time member.

Oooo are we sharing Canucks fanfic?? Coooool! Did you also hear the one about how Petey should be in the AHL? Or how Martin should be the new starter? And of course there's the classic "Burrows do we really need him?" stuff. So, thank you for continuing this amazing tradition. Never seizes to make me chuckle.

22 minutes ago, Canuckle said:

Oooo are we sharing Canucks fanfic?? Coooool! Did you also hear the one about how Petey should be in the AHL? Or how Martin should be the new starter? And of course there's the classic "Burrows do we really need him?" stuff. So, thank you for continuing this amazing tradition. Never seizes to make me chuckle.

😄 Lets just see what happens to him in the very near future and we will have our answer. I thought Bo was a great guy too, just not a fit in this organization. Same with Myers. Sometimes you have to make decisions which are tough but are in the best interest of the team.

Petey in the AHL? Thats a new one.😊

2 hours ago, Canuckle said:

1 hour ago, EdgarM said:

😄 Lets just see what happens to him in the very near future and we will have our answer. I thought Bo was a great guy too, just not a fit in this organization. Same with Myers. Sometimes you have to make decisions which are tough but are in the best interest of the team.

Edgar, there was a lot of senseless blabber on here after Petey was drafted (before training camp or his first NHL game) that he should spend time in the A to get experience and until he ‘filled in’. That is the reference Canuckle is alluding to, I believe?

As for Boeser, I still have hope. The dude has been through a lot the past two years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EdgarM said:

Brocks 4 assists last game didn't do anything for you? Forget the "future" signs. Look at the present. Yeah, preseason and all, but his game looks really good and points on the page show contribution... and a lot of it.

And we know what Brock was dealing with the last while. And even with his poor start last year AND dealing with what he was dealing with, he still ended a stones throw from his career high in points. Even in an "bad" year that's what he managed to do.

And yep. I recall the "Petey to the AHL" squawking after he came back from his wrist injury and Bubble season before Bruce got here. Petey didn't look great or meet similar fan expectation for his game and we saw the same kind of disparaging remarks.

Funny stuff.

1 minute ago, Captkirk888 said:

Edgar, there was a lot of senseless blabber on here after Petey was drafted (before training camp or his first NHL game) that he should spend time in the A to get experience and until he ‘filled in’. That is the reference Canuckle is alluding to, I believe?

Omg I forgot about that one!! Lol. There's been quite a few

I was talking about when he came back from his wrist injury in the bubble season and started slow before Boudreau came on.

Straight into the comedy vault.

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, Canuckle said:

Brocks 4 assists last game didn't do anything for you? Forget the "future" signs. Look at the present. Yeah, preseason and all, but his game looks really good and points on the page show contribution... and a lot of it.

And we know what Brock was dealing with the last while. And even with his poor start last year AND dealing with what he was dealing with, he still ended a stones throw from his career high in points. Even in an "bad" year that's what he managed to do.

And yep. I recall the "Petey to the AHL" squawking after he came back from his wrist injury and Bubble season before Bruce got here. Petey didn't look great or meet similar fan expectation for his game and we saw the same kind of disparaging remarks.

Funny stuff.

I don't really look at point totals this time of the season as I don't pay attention to the score. Its all a form of practice at this point.

I am looking at what he does without the puck as what he does with it. I do agree his playmaking ability has definitely improved its the continuation of his shooting ability(or lack of) and willingness to sacrifice the body and his defensive play which concerns me. 

I put him in that one dimensional category which does not bode well in this new age of Hockey.

28 minutes ago, Captkirk888 said:

As for Boeser, I still have hope. The dude has been through a lot the past two years.

Many people have endured advercity throughout their lfe its how you deal with it that counts. Mental toughness is an attribute a professional athlete must have. Brock should be no different. Maybe he fights through it, who knows, I am not seeing yet though. 

• Cheers 2

27 minutes ago, Canuckle said:

Omg I forgot about that one!! Lol. There's been quite a few

I was talking about when he came back from his wrist injury in the bubble season and started slow before Boudreau came on.

Straight into the comedy vault.

Professional athletes go through a multitude of ups and downs, especially when they are still young. Some make it? Some don't. Some look promising? Some fail. 

Its funny we look at Brocks and Petey's trajectory when they were younger and look where we are now?  😊

I truly thought Brock was going to be our next Bure.........................

1 minute ago, EdgarM said:

I don't really look at point totals this time of the season as I don't pay attention to the score. Its all a form of practice at this point.

I am looking at what he does without the puck as what he does with it. I do agree his playmaking ability has definitely improved its the continuation of his shooting ability(or lack of) and willingness to sacrifice the body and his defensive play which concerns me. 

I put him in that one dimensional category which does not bode well in this new age of Hockey.

Points still mean a lot, and he's on PP1 for good reason. Did you watch last game? All those things you just listed are looking good. Again, preseason and all, but the signs are already pointing in that direction. And those 4 points still indicate his involvement and active contribution to the play so I'm not sure why you'd try to disregard that. Points on the scoreboard are still things that do bode well in this new age of hockey.

4 minutes ago, Canuckle said:

Points still mean a lot, and he's on PP1 for good reason. Did you watch last game? All those things you just listed are looking good. Again, preseason and all, but the signs are already pointing in that direction. And those 4 points still indicate his involvement and active contribution to the play so I'm not sure why you'd try to disregard that. Points on the scoreboard are still things that do bode well in this new age of hockey.

Do points really matter when they are in a preseason and its only ONE GAME? REALLY? 

Watch him when he is not on the PP or has the puck. He still skates slow and misses the net on clear shots on net. MISSES THE NET!

Give it a few games and a few games in the regular season to see where he is at.

26 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Many people have endured advercity throughout their lfe its how you deal with it that counts. Mental toughness is an attribute a professional athlete must have. Brock should be no different. Maybe he fights through it, who knows, I am not seeing yet though. 

Should.

Ought to.

Yes, adversity is part of life but who are you judge anyone on how they "should" handle ANYTHING? Especially when it comes to the grieving process and what that looks like for the individual. You have no idea what you're talking about and you have no place to say anything of the sort.

For example you SHOULD know better than that. But we all aren't equipped with the same tools, experience or EDUCATION now are we. That much is glaringly apparent.

Edited by Canuckle

7 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Do points really matter when they are in a preseason and its only ONE GAME? REALLY? 

Watch him when he is not on the PP or has the puck. He still skates slow and misses the net on clear shots on net. MISSES THE NET!

Give it a few games and a few games in the regular season to see where he is at.

Hahahahha did you see the passes DJ Zappy gave him and why he couldn't accurately connect ??  No. Of course not. Too busy blaming Brock for missing.

K. This is getting funny now.

Handwave the good. Focus on the "perceived" bad.

Comedy gold, baby.

1 hour ago, Canuckle said:

Should.

Ought to.

Yes, adversity is part of life but who are you judge anyone on how they "should" handle ANYTHING? Especially when it comes to the grieving process and what that looks like for the individual. You have no idea what you're talking about and you have no place to say anything of the sort.

For example you SHOULD know better than that. But we all aren't equipped with the same tools, experience or EDUCATION now are we. That much is glaringly apparent.

I am not saying anything about his personal life yoou brought that up. 

Should.

Ought to.

Judge? Who am I judging? You are judging by saying that his personal life is an issue. I just stated that professional athletes need to have mental toughness. 

• Cheers 1

Hahahahha did you see the passes DJ Zappy gave him and why he couldn't accurately connect ??  No. Of course not. Too busy blaming Brock for missing.

K. This is getting funny now.

Handwave the good. Focus on the "perceived" bad.

Comedy gold, baby.

DJ Zappy? Wow your ridiculous, and getting worse. 😄 Thanks for the chat, buh bye now. 😊

20 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I am not saying anything about his personal life yoou brought that up. 

Judge? Who am I judging? You are judging by saying that his personal life is an issue. I just stated that professional athletes need to have mental toughness. 

Yes, you are very much judging and  apparently don't realize you're even doing it.

And thats rich. Getting bent over a FUNNY nickname for PDG yet refer to Brock in a DEROGATORY manner without blinking.

The irony is thick.

Yep.

Ice Cube Friday GIF

7 hours ago, EdgarM said:

I know. But it can be a Long challenge, I speak from experience

On 10/1/2023 at 8:48 AM, DownUndaCanuck said:

I know Edmonton played everyone except their big guns but they still dressed their defence, goalie and bottom-6 essentially. Meanwhile the Canucks ice a starting-day lineup so good to see what we've got to play with.

Miller was decent but not fantastic, Boeser had a heck of a night with 4 assists - he didn't own or run the play but he makes a lot of high offensive IQ skilled plays. The last 18 months he's making really smart passes, especially on the PP, and is becoming an assist machine. Doesn't matter if he's going away from being a pure goal scorer, we can use a playmaker like Brock right now and 4 assists is nothing to laugh at. As for PDG I think he just proved to everyone that he's not going anywhere. Podkolzin and Hoglander haven't done anything near enough whereas PDG just blew the Oilers out of the water with such big plays we need - great screens (on the Hughes goal), great tip-in and what a 2-on-1. I had him in my top-6 at the end of last year and copped a lot of slack for it but Tocchet loves these kinds of players and he's producing points too which is more than what our AHLers are doing when given a chance so good on him.

Hughes looks like he's taken his game to another level, he's looking like Karlsson out there - skating and owning the puck and play a lot more than last year. I know Petey's a 100pt player but Hughes is the best player on the ice and he's skating with swagger now. He really does look like Makar out there, running the show. Last year he was a bit more of a selfless team player but from what we've seen so far he wants to be "the guy". He had absolutely no right to take the puck from the left blueline, skate diagonally across the Oilers and release a back-hand from the right half boards and score but he did. No right batting the puck out of mid air on a 2-on-1. I think he's our candidate to breakout next year which is crazy to say considering he was a PPG scorer last year, but 80-90 points isn't out of the question if he keeps playing like this. Seen a big jump from him.

Everyone else was very good but playing against pretty average forwards. Good to see the Oilers goalie and defence just crumble and our PP and defence looked good, and a pretty tidy night for Demko.

Agree on your Demko, Hugues comments.

But from what i saw, Miller set up so many plays that didnt produce because of this PDG limelite thing. Miller feeds him and Brock is open but the pass is short by a foot or wide by a foot.

I dont care what anyone says, the only reason why PDG actually gets points is because of Miller, Boeser, and when Hughes is by chance on his line.

I think if Garlund is playing there, Garlund has his best points, Boeser has his best goals, and Miller actually gets more points than Petterson this year