Mid Season moves (Proposal/Discussion)

There are two areas of concern for me going in to the 2024-25 season.

1.Top 4 minute munching LHD that can play shutdown minutes, above average skating, good puckmover. Preferably a player you can lock down long term or a player with term. 

2. Right shot centerman that has good defensive metrics and can chip in offensively. 

Here we go. 

Move 1: 

Pittsburgh: Hoglander 

Forbort

Kudryavtsev 

2nd round pick 2025

Van: M.Pettersson (1 million retained) w/extension probable.

I think with Sprongs recent addition, I can't see him playing on the 4th line. I see him playing with Pete and Debrusk. This makes Hoglander expendable, especially with him surely wanting a salary increase next offseason. Forbort is just for matching salary purposes. M.Pettersson provides us with some stability on the left side and honestly I think a pairing of him & Hronek could be a very dominant second pairing. 

Move 2: 

Vancouver: N.Dowd 

Washington: L.Karlsson

J.Woo

2nd 2026

Nic Dowd has had excellent defensive metrics for multiple seasons. I think he would be a perfect addition between Joshua and Garland. 

Move 3: 

Van: 3rd round pick 2025

Playoff team: P.Suter 

This would free up the center ice position, while also recouping a mid round draft pick. 

This would give us a lineup of 

Debrusk Pete Sprong 

Heinen/Podz Miller Boeser 

Joshua Dowd Garland 

Podz/Heinen Blueger Sherwood

Ex: Aman, PDG

Hughes Hronek 

Pettersson Desharnis 

Soucy Myers 

Ex. Juulsen 

Demko

Silovs 

Thoughts?

Looks good on paper, but I'm hesitant to add Pettersson.  As good as he is, it's risky to trade so many assets for a pending UFA, and even if he comes back, losing an inexpensive young forward in Hoglander when we already have a defensive top-4 D in Soucy (and possibly another expensive extension in MP which, along with Boeser's can eat up the cap we have) seems a bit much, when we're also giving up a 2nd.  If Hronek is on the 2nd pair, I'd be more than fine with Soucy as the 2nd pair LHD, but we can agree to disagree.

Dowd appears more solid than I thought; if we can't find another RH center with strong defense for the 3rd line I'd be down for that move, IF we're going all in (though I also dislike giving away prospects and early picks like candy).

Edited by Phil_314
  • ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, Devron said:

I don’t like any of these moves. Hoglander is going to have a great season for us 

I think its kinda funny that people think we need more changes, when we haven't even seen what our new players can do or will affect lineups.

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Toccfather said:

There are two areas of concern for me going in to the 2024-25 season.

1.Top 4 minute munching LHD that can play shutdown minutes, above average skating, good puckmover. Preferably a player you can lock down long term or a player with term. 

2. Right shot centerman that has good defensive metrics and can chip in offensively. 

Here we go. 

Move 1: 

Pittsburgh: Hoglander 

Forbort

Kudryavtsev 

2nd round pick 2025

Van: M.Pettersson (1 million retained) w/extension probable.

I think with Sprongs recent addition, I can't see him playing on the 4th line. I see him playing with Pete and Debrusk. This makes Hoglander expendable, especially with him surely wanting a salary increase next offseason. Forbort is just for matching salary purposes. M.Pettersson provides us with some stability on the left side and honestly I think a pairing of him & Hronek could be a very dominant second pairing. 

Move 2: 

Vancouver: N.Dowd 

Washington: L.Karlsson

J.Woo

2nd 2026

Nic Dowd has had excellent defensive metrics for multiple seasons. I think he would be a perfect addition between Joshua and Garland. 

Move 3: 

Van: 3rd round pick 2025

Playoff team: P.Suter 

This would free up the center ice position, while also recouping a mid round draft pick. 

This would give us a lineup of 

Debrusk Pete Sprong 

Heinen/Podz Miller Boeser 

Joshua Dowd Garland 

Podz/Heinen Blueger Sherwood

Ex: Aman, PDG

Hughes Hronek 

Pettersson Desharnis 

Soucy Myers 

Ex. Juulsen 

Demko

Silovs 

Thoughts?

The only thing I like is another Pettersson, when DPetey is also up, there will be so much confusion, Petey might get open finally on coverage errors.

Maybe they can all wear 40, and just have a small 1 or 2 like an astrix

Edited by EastCoastExpress

59 minutes ago, EastCoastExpress said:

I think its kinda funny that people think we need more changes, when we haven't even seen what our new players can do or will affect lineups.

Title says Mid Season moves. It's based purely on assumptions. 

Just now, EastCoastExpress said:

the only mid season change they should do is  extend Boeser to 8 years before he is worth more than we can afford.

I'd be inclined to see how he plays this season before committing long-term.   He had a 20% shooting percentage last season. Doubtful he can repeat.  I think he'll still do well but I wouldn't pay him based only on last seasons numbers 

• Wiener 1

12 minutes ago, qwijjibo said:

I'd be inclined to see how he plays this season before committing long-term.   He had a 20% shooting percentage last season. Doubtful he can repeat.  I think he'll still do well but I wouldn't pay him based only on last seasons numbers 

you know what Brock is going to do.

Can we afford to wait till he gets up to JT numbers? thats all the sudden a 11 mil contract. He is 4 years younger than JT but showing a better trajectory if you compare. Anyone who thinks BB06 will regress is not really paying attention.... which is fair because no one seems to notice him under the lights of petey.

yeah i gave you a wiener icon

compare Brock rookie season with Petey, then consider injuries and personal hardships Boeser went through, and came out stronger. Guy is only going to get better with age. And he is nice. He is a nice guy. Well liked in the room but also by everyone in the league.

11 minutes ago, EastCoastExpress said:

Can we afford to wait till he gets up to JT numbers? thats all the sudden a 11 mil contract. He is 4 years younger than JT but showing a better trajectory if you compare. Anyone who thinks BB06 will regress is not really paying attention.... which is fair because no one seems to notice him under the lights of petey.

compare Brock rookie season with Petey, then consider injuries and personal hardships Boeser went through, and came out stronger. Guy is only going to get better with age. And he is nice. He is a nice guy. Well liked in the room but also by everyone in the league.

Time will tell.  20% shooting efficiency isn't sustainable.  

• Wiener 1

13 minutes ago, qwijjibo said:

Time will tell.  20% shooting efficiency isn't sustainable.  

Dont really see too many All star player of the game making less than 8.... There are other teams that would love to have Boeser.

Shooting percentage is a better indicator of smart shots than whatever you think it is

All goaltenders feed saves to their defenders as much as possible and Canucks did well to avoid easy saves/turnovers by holding till there was a high risk oppertunity.

I like that everyone thinks because we dont get shots on goal we are weak. even on PP I know we all are shouting SHOOT the F,ikin puck but the goalies are too good, and shooting on Demko in practice probably caused this.

I think the Shot efficiency is Sustanable.  Especially when you see it also applies to many other team-mates. Its not a fluke, its a plan.

Kessell hot dog for you too. 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EastCoastExpress said:

Dont really see too many All star player of the game making less than 8.... There are other teams that would love to have Boeser.

Shooting percentage is a better indicator of smart shots than whatever you think it is

All goaltenders feed saves to their defenders as much as possible and Canucks did well to avoid easy saves/turnovers by holding till there was a high risk oppertunity.

I like that everyone thinks because we dont get shots on goal we are weak. even on PP I know we all are shouting SHOOT the F,ikin puck but the goalies are too good, and shooting on Demko in practice probably caused this.

I think the Shot efficiency is Sustanable.  Especially when you see it also applies to many other team-mates. Its not a fluke, its a plan.

Kessell hot dog for you too. 🙂

Just like kuzmenko was definitely going to repeat the 39 goal season he had last year right? Outlier seasonal are a thing. Boeser has never shot at 20 percent in his career prior to this sesdin. He's fitted between 16 and 10.  It's going to come back down to earth. He'll likely be above the league average  but he's not going to sustain 20% 

9 hours ago, EastCoastExpress said:

Borser is a far superior player to Cole (the mouse) Caufield. So he will certainly deserve more than him. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, EastCoastExpress said:

I'd put money on the Canucks not wanting to split-up Miller and Boeser. I also think, regardless of what his agent may advise, that Boeser will stay 

with the Canucks, at a lesser amount then he could get.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have doubts about Myers in the top four so assume we will be picking up a RHD by Christmas.

I still hold out hope for Trouba with salary retained.  Maybe with only a few months left in the season he would be more amenable to a move.

Hughes-Trouba

Soucy-Hronek

Forbort-Myers 

Desharnais

1 hour ago, Provost said:

I have doubts about Myers in the top four so assume we will be picking up a RHD by Christmas.

I still hold out hope for Trouba with salary retained.  Maybe with only a few months left in the season he would be more amenable to a move.

Hughes-Trouba

Soucy-Hronek

Forbort-Myers 

Desharnais

If we target a RHD, I would hope it's A.Larsson, W.Borgen. 

But I think a more long term approach would be Gavrikov, A.Pelech, M.Pettersson.