passion

smithers joe

i think mine is, also i believe is my life purpose....helping others reach their full potentials

i can't say i was that good at it but i think it was i what i was meant to do. if this isn't true, than i've wasted my life.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

i think mine is, also i believe is my life purpose....helping others reach their full potentials

i can't say i was that good at it but i think it was i what i was meant to do. if this isn't true, than i've wasted my life.

That's exactly how I see you, Joe. I think you are good at it.

Even how you show interest in others here and give us a platform to share our stories. And your interest in youth and especially the underprivileged or those who've run into trouble.

You're good people.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Can't say it's a "passion" per se..... but something I enjoy, and will do almost anytime, is hooking up the smoker. It dosen't really matter for what. Brisket. Chicken. Hell, I've even smoked off bricks of cheese. And, I've even smoked hard boiled eggs, shredded them on a cheese grater, and made smoked egg salad, its next level shit!!!........... hmm, I guess my smoker is my passion after all.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

Really feel fortunate I have had a chance to teach, to share some knowledge with others. Love to see people grow and mature before your eyes. My motivation is totally selfish as it seems I learn more from the experience than I can contribute.  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Jess said:

Hockey stuff, obviously. I've written like 200 "articles" for my blog that no one reads just because I love hockey and especially hockey history.

Keep at it, do it because you love it and see what happens.

My son was the same...then a few of his articles were picked up by different sites and things snowballed a bit. He eventually got a job at EA Sports that has led to a successful career through his sheer determination and love of hockey (and gaming).

I think part of the problem is that SM is saturated with content as everyone and their dogs are putting their opinions/articles out there. You're dealing with a sea of information now so it's harder to get noticed. 

I had a blog years ago and it connected me to a bunch of great people...some of whom I've stayed in touch with for 20 years now.

• Like 1

i once said, if i could coach and write stories for a living, i'ld be most happy.

i went on to write a sports column for our local paper in the 80's and went on to work and be like a life coach for developmental challenged adults,

then with young offenders and as silly as it seems to seniors. my life in a nut shell.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

13 hours ago, Reg said:

Really feel fortunate I have had a chance to teach, to share some knowledge with others. Love to see people grow and mature before your eyes. My motivation is totally selfish as it seems I learn more from the experience than I can contribute.  

i agree, i think everything we do is for selfish reasons. i'm sure mine was but it helps make us who we are. good or bad. thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

If I needed further proof that my smoker is my passion, this is it. I just got back from save on, my weekly shop, but I broke down and bought a full brisket. Cost me $72, cheapest one i could get. Going to trim it this afternoon and into the freezer it goes. Then I'm going to start trying to develop my own rub.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, -dlc- said:

Keep at it, do it because you love it and see what happens.

My son was the same...then a few of his articles were picked up by different sites and things snowballed a bit. He eventually got a job at EA Sports that has led to a successful career through his sheer determination and love of hockey (and gaming).

I think part of the problem is that SM is saturated with content as everyone and their dogs are putting their opinions/articles out there. You're dealing with a sea of information now so it's harder to get noticed. 

I had a blog years ago and it connected me to a bunch of great people...some of whom I've stayed in touch with for 20 years now.

i know, i sure enjoyed meeting you and going to a couple of canuck games with you. plus i always loved your passion for the team and life.

i'm a richer person for it.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

i know, i sure enjoyed meeting you and going to a couple of canuck games with you. plus i always loved your passion for the team and life.

i'm a richer person for it.

I feel the same, Joe. What an absolute privilege to attend those games with you. Honoured and so thrilled that you graced me with your presence.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, gwarrior said:

If I needed further proof that my smoker is my passion, this is it. I just got back from save on, my weekly shop, but I broke down and bought a full brisket. Cost me $72, cheapest one i could get. Going to trim it this afternoon and into the freezer it goes. Then I'm going to start trying to develop my own rub.

sounds delicious. i'm not there to taste it, that's the rub. good luck. at least you can't get cancer from that kind of smoking.

In line with this topic, are there any things that are on your bucket list? Potential/developing "passions"?

I really want to do some kind of rowing and that's one of my "to do's" when my job winds down.

I also miss water skiing and want to find a way to get back out there on the water.

I plan on learning to crochet (and make something for my kids). Old lady stuff.

I'm getting into gardening and want to learn more.

I'm writing a children's poetry book (think Shel Silverstein) or songs (Charlotte Diamond?)...we'll see what develops there. I've always had a natural talent to freestyle rhyme without much effort and so am putting stuff together. I road rage in rhyme...it feels a bit kinder than all out rage. Helps me vent.

Something like (just random off the top of my head, how I do it):

Move to the right

You're such an ass

Can't you see we're

Trying to pass?

But there you are 

Just blocking the lane

Filing your nails and

feeling no shame

Oblivious, brainless?

Don't you know

To move to the right

When you're going so slow.

MOVE OVER

I'd be singing something like this rather than just getting totally steamed. Helps me to manage my anger if I sing it. It's so silly.

Maybe I'll make a road rage album.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This is kind of silly, kind of on brand maybe, but I am passionate about progressive politics. I do work for free to advance the interests of the people around me. Seniors, First Nations, the disabled. I think we are a rich nation by global standards and we can do more for the worst off amongst us. I would like to see every senior lifted out of poverty: for our elders are those who built what we now take for granted, in the first place. First Nations folks living poor is disgusting considering all we have is at their original expense. 
The Disabled poor are not only suffering at no fault of their own, but have no way to change that outcome for themselves either. We absolutely need to raise those who suffer from disabilities above the 'poverty line' at the very least. 

If we tackle those three cohorts, we will have largely eradicated poverty in Canada. 

If I had to say I was passionate about anything it is certainly the politics that keep the Right at bay. Greedy self centered "i got mine" crowd are going to be just fine, they don't need anyone's help and they detest giving help to anyone, so I focus on the progressives and give of my time, money and expertise to effect what change I can. 

It isn't that I am noble: it is largely the selfish gene at play: I will be a senior one day, i do have disabilities, and so many people close to my heart are living on reserve or off reserve in relatively poor conditions. If my tribe is well off, I am by association doing okay. So lets protect the most vulnerable among our society and thereby elevate our society to epic levels. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1