St. Louis Blues Offer Sheet Oilers Holloway and Broberg

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Best part, is they will be middling 2nd and 3rd round picks. 

Edmonton deserves this

They do.

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

It really doesn't make St. Louis look very good either. 

Why? It's part of the CBA, everything is done out in the open.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

They do.

Why? It's part of the CBA, everything is done out in the open.

I've said it often enough. It's a stupid part of the CBA. And every team that does it, gets retaliation. And it doesn't help teams reputations either.

Look at Montreal how they got shafted by Carolina after trying and Carolina matched their offer sheet. 

Ever notice most GM's who do offer sheets, long term lose their jobs? 

• Cheers 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

I disagree. This is a very smart move by St.Louis.

Edmonton has had long enough to get these guys signed. It’s fair game after awhile.

Also I hope this is the start of GMs around the NHL blackballing Bowman. Basically saying, the league may be okay with you being a GM but we’re not. We side with the players.

Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

I disagree. This is a very smart move by St.Louis.

Edmonton has had long enough to get these guys signed. It’s fair game after awhile.

Also I hope this is the start of GMs around the NHL blackballing Bowman. Basically saying, the league may be okay with you being a GM but we’re not. We side with the players.

No but if an offer sheet goes to a Vancouver player, and we have to pay more, you are going to like that? 

• Cheers 1

I would imagine they would just put Kane on LTIR and trade Ceci, if they were to match?

Am I the only one who thinks Broberg is a bit overrated, because he shown flashes during their playoff run? He couldn’t even be a regular in their lineup, despite being thin on defense. He’s certainly not worth 4.5m.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, gizmo2337 said:

Oh good, glad that somebody did it and it wasn't us. Edmonton had plenty of time to sign those guys.

It's the us part that concerns me. That last thing I want to see is Chicago, or San Jose put an offer sheet on Willander just when he starts to get good. 

9 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I like it. 

They'll most likely get at least 1 of Holloway or Broberg. 

Currently Edmonton at minus 341k with a 21 man roster and Kane not on LTIR. 

Even if he goes LTIR they'll have 4.8

If they waive Hablin, that's another 775k and they'll have 5.59m

Can't match both. 

Also if they waive Hablin and LTIR Kane, they would be running with a 19 man roster and 5.6m in cap space 

11 forwards, 6 defensemen and 2 goalies. 

This means they can match one of Broberg or Holloway for now and then figure out how to shed cap mid season if Kane comes back. 

Huge risk if they match Broberg. Kane either has to be out the entire season or if he comes back, they only have 6 players that could take his place on LTIR to make the cap work as they are such a top heavy team. 

Lol what a disaster. I love it. 

Broberg is most definitely gone. Stecher can easily fill the void for a faction of the cost. 

• Huggy Bear 1

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Depends on the player and the compensation.

I would hope we have better management that plans ahead and doesn’t get backed into that decision.

Even with better management, the team has under $1 million in cap space. Half the league is like this. 

Offer sheets made sense when there was no cap, because it was the only way to pry players away from teams. 

I'm totally fine with Karma biting Edmonton. Ancient history I know, but I'm still bitter Philly did an offer sheet for Kesler, and Toronto tried to offer sheet Ohlund. 

• Like 2

Just now, shiznak said:

Broberg is most definitely gone. Stecher can easily fill the void for a faction of the cost. 

How much would Stecher cost? 

Keep in mind adding him would add to the cap that they already don't have. They have 6D signed and are already over the cap

• Like 1