St. Louis Blues Offer Sheet Oilers Holloway and Broberg

11 minutes ago, Wing said:

Wow this actually happened. Thanks blues for something to talk about other than Leafs in an otherwise uneventful August. 

I think there's a way for Oils to keep Broberg by using similar assets to get rid of Ceci's contract. The risk is paying Broberg this much money after such a short sample size. This also assumes Kane will remain on LTIR for the whole season. 

Kane better not stay LTIR the entire season... 

Its only August. 8 months from playoffs.. 

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

It's funny because this came out yesterday, Oil management almost certainly knew he wasn't gonna be on LTIR all season

Well this forces oilers to LTIR Kane and make some decisions quickly. 

The fact they don't even know what is wrong and how to fix Kane is laughable... 

5 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Good luck unloading Ceci. He is horrible in the playoffs. 

That's the only route I think unless they throw Kane on LTIR somehow.

If they put Kane on LTIR and trade Ceci with sweeteners, they'll keep both of Holloway and Broberg.

59 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I've said it often enough. It's a stupid part of the CBA. And every team that does it, gets retaliation. And it doesn't help teams reputations either.

Look at Montreal how they got shafted by Carolina after trying and Carolina matched their offer sheet. 

Ever notice most GM's who do offer sheets, long term lose their jobs? 

I like it, if we're going to allow the scam that is LTIR, teams should have this option. 

I don't think retaliation is much of an issue for St Louis either.

EDM likely matches on Bro, lets Holloway walk imo. Kane will stretch out his "injury" but at least EDM doesn't get out of this consequence free. 

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, Devron said:

Fun fact. I used to like the Oilers back in the Ryan Smyth days. Team wasn’t talented but had heart. Started hating them once they kept getting gifted first overall picks 

I didn't mind them either.  CuJo in his prime was something else in goal.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

Ok, now that I've had a chance to laugh at this... <still laughing btw>... here's some reality...

Oilers are at $95.225M with 13 F, 8 D, and 2 G.  This includes Broberg and Holloway.

Sounds like Kane will be placed on LTIR, which means the Oilers could technically have an overall cap hit of $93,125,000 if they maximize their LTIR space.

That means they need to free up about $2.1M.

They technically could send Corey Perry and Josh Brown to the minors and basically bury $2,150,000 which brings their overall cap hit to $93,075,541.

TLDR:  Sad to say, but the Oilers could match and just send down 2 guys to run with a 21 man roster to start the season and keep both Holloway and Broberg.

image.jpeg.5c5482219f06377f2e9bb695196876de.jpeg

Edited by HKSR
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I'd rather fix LTIR to be honest. 

NHL: Good news NHLPA we're going to pay you in the playoffs.

NHLPA: YAY!

NHL: Bad news is salary cap is in force even during the playoffs. 

GM's: BOOOOOOOOOO!

likely accurate.

I like the offer sheet option because I don't believe reputation means much in the NHL. Sure there are GMs who have good individual relationships, but they'd all sell their first born to win a cup. Its 32 mercenaries that will do what they have to.

• Like 2
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, Nucker67 said:

I see that one lady stuck her leg out to try and trip McWhiner. Surprised he didn't take a dive. 

Covert Flames Fan? Is it me or is the majority of NHL wives all blonde? 

Edited by Ghostsof1915
  • Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Such a terrible contract lol

Makes Louie Eriksson look like a bargain

We weren't going to win the cup without even the Louie Eriksson contract.  The contract of Nurse is costing Oilers the cup.  9 million spent effiently elsewhere would make them unstoppable, instead they have Nurse lol.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, shiznak said:

I would imagine they would just put Kane on LTIR and trade Ceci, if they were to match?

Am I the only one who thinks Broberg is a bit overrated, because he shown flashes during their playoff run? He couldn’t even be a regular in their lineup, despite being thin on defense. He’s certainly not worth 4.5m.

I doubt there is much of a market for Ceci.  Edmonton would probably need to add to make a trade.  Also, that doesn't really help Edmonton to trade Ceci just to keep Broberg.  They would still be down one RHDman and Broberg would be forced to play top 4 minutes with Nurse as a RHD.  Broberg must be praying that Edmonton doesn't match, I doubt he wants to play with Nurse...

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I'd rather fix LTIR to be honest. 

NHL: Good news NHLPA we're going to pay you in the playoffs.

NHLPA: YAY!

NHL: Bad news is salary cap is in force even during the playoffs. 

GM's: BOOOOOOOOOO!

I would like to see them close the LTIR loophole (any player in LTIR during the last game of the season can't play in the playoffs or something) but open up bonus cap space for every team say three weeks before the TDL. For example, every team gets an additional $2 - $3M of space for the remainder of the season. It would disappear at the end of the season (i.e. heading into the next season) but it would allow more trades and flexibility.

Edited by NoCupSyndrome

1 hour ago, Nucker67 said:

Thankfully, the Canucks have very competent management and will plan ahead so that won't happen.

What a complete 180 from the Benning era.

36 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Such a terrible contract lol

Makes Louie Eriksson look like a bargain

Makes OEL's initial contract look like a bargain too

• Vintage 1