St. Louis Blues Offer Sheet Oilers Holloway and Broberg

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

10% I believe in the off-season. (Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong)

Yeah they're F'd. I don't think they have 10ish mil in players to slap on LTIR even if they did/could match both offersheets. I am also surprised Broberg got such a heft offersheet. Obviously, they both had to be in different compensation tiers. But still. 4.5mil for a guy who played 12 games last year and was the 7th D in the playoffs? 2 years isn't the end of the world though. So if he stinks they can just not keep him. Just found it wild he is going to get so much. No way Edmonton matches the Broberg offer sheet, but they'll probably try match the Holloway one.

2 minutes ago, Since82 said:

Edmonton could still match the offers and then trade one or both of them; likely for more than a 2nd and 3rd. 

I love that St Louis is sticking it to them though 😊

Can't trade a player for one year if Edmonton matched.

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 3

You knew something had to happen and think the Blues saw it as a win.

The Oil would have to trade Kane plus in the next few days.Would still cost them more so way I see it they won't match.

Next year's team won't be as good.

Only way I see them matching is trading Leon to make room.

3 hours ago, HKSR said:

Ok, now that I've had a chance to laugh at this... <still laughing btw>... here's some reality...

Oilers are at $95.225M with 13 F, 8 D, and 2 G.  This includes Broberg and Holloway.

Sounds like Kane will be placed on LTIR, which means the Oilers could technically have an overall cap hit of $93,125,000 if they maximize their LTIR space.

That means they need to free up about $2.1M.

They technically could send Corey Perry and Josh Brown to the minors and basically bury $2,150,000 which brings their overall cap hit to $93,075,541.

TLDR:  Sad to say, but the Oilers could match and just send down 2 guys to run with a 21 man roster to start the season and keep both Holloway and Broberg.

image.jpeg.5c5482219f06377f2e9bb695196876de.jpeg

But what do they do when Kane returns? 

If no teams in the league help them what happens? They forfeit the season? 

That's be a VERY dangerous game to play if they move Perry and Brown down just to match those offersheets. 

They would need a major bailout once Kane comes back whether it's be another player making 5m and above going on LTIR or another team saving them... 

Like what really happens if no one helps them? 

I don't think that's ever happened  where a team couldn't be cap compliant

They'd have to play the season with 3 lines and 5D or something and waive everyone that is below the burying threshold which I believe is 1.15m

Edited by CanucksJay

1 minute ago, CanucksJay said:

Yea that’s not really a solution.

And how do you think Perry and Brown will feel about playing in the minors? Good way to alienate your players.

I hope they trade Ceci and keep Broberg. Ceci was a very underrated player for them. Having Broberg then struggle to replace him would be perfect.

They have to assume Kane will be back at some point, so his going on LTIR doesn't really solve the problem his cap hit presents 

He's in the driver's seat regarding any trade too

If they're moving someone it'll probably have to be Ceci

13 minutes ago, Bure10Kuzmenko96 said:

10%

I think Edmonton is currently just 341k over the cap. They can match the offersheets and then decide what to do with Kane and future trades to bring down the cap but then they would be highly exposed and vulnerable to other GMs taking advantage of them. 

Unless they can trade Cece, I think they'll at most match Holloway. Anything else would be way too risky. 

35 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Yeah they're F'd. I don't think they have 10ish mil in players to slap on LTIR even if they did/could match both offersheets. I am also surprised Broberg got such a heft offersheet. Obviously, they both had to be in different compensation tiers. But still. 4.5mil for a guy who played 12 games last year and was the 7th D in the playoffs? 2 years isn't the end of the world though. So if he stinks they can just not keep him. Just found it wild he is going to get so much. No way Edmonton matches the Broberg offer sheet, but they'll probably try match the Holloway one.

38 points in 49 games in the AHL last year, i think Broberg will have a great year next year

probably an overpayment for next year but if not matched, st louis is potentially getting a future top pair defenseman for a 2nd round pick

• Vintage 1

That extra year really hurts them though, given Draisaitl and both need new deals after this season 

Whether they find a way to retain Broberg or not, they're gonna lose assets that they likely would have otherwise spent at the deadline and that's a win for the Canucks in itself 

These offer sheets back the Oil into a corner and any GM worth their salt is going to charge Bowman a premium to get out of this mess

10 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

That's be a VERY dangerous game to play if they move Perry and Brown down just to match those offersheets. 

They would need a major bailout once Kane comes back whether it's be another player making 5m and above going on LTIR or another team saving them... 

Like what really happens if no one helps them? 

I don't think that's ever happened  where a team couldn't be cap compliant

They'd have to play the season with 3 lines and 5D or something and waive everyone that is below the burying threshold which I believe is 1.15m

It buys them time to find a way to trade Ceci.  End of the day, Ceci is a RHD being paid $3.25M.  Retaining $500k on him to make him a $2.75M RHD would make him a very tradeable asset.  They're gonna be better off hanging onto Holloway and Broberg than to let them go for a 2nd and 3rd round pick. 

Just now, HKSR said:

It buys them time to find a way to trade Ceci.  End of the day, Ceci is a RHD being paid $3.25M.  Retaining $500k on him to make him a $2.75M RHD would make him a very tradeable asset.  They're gonna be better off hanging onto Holloway and Broberg than to let them go for a 2nd and 3rd round pick. 

So they lose Ceci and still have to run with a 21 man roster?

How do you bring Perry and Brown back up?

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

That extra year really hurts them though, given Draisaitl and both need new deals after this season 

Whether they find a way to retain Broberg or not, they're gonna lose assets that they likely would have otherwise spent at the deadline and that's a win for the Canucks in itself 

These offer sheets back the Oil into a corner and any GM worth their salt is going to charge Bowman a premium to get out of this mess

Yeah, and if Edmonton matches, they aren't allowed to trade either player until August 2025 - well after a Draisaitl deal needs to be completed.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

So they lose Ceci and still have to run with a 21 man roster?

How do you bring Perry and Brown back up?

Oh man, please don't make me figure out the cap mess for the Oilers... I do that enough for the Canucks lol

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Maddogy said:

Is it correct that the Oilers must be cap compliant by the opening day of the season BEFORE putting any players on LTIR?

No, they are allowed to have someone already on LTIR and their replacement in place for the opening day roster.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

As of now, they are 341k above cap. 

Once they LTIR Kane, with the way LTIR relief works, they would have (5.125-341k) in relief overage.

This means they would have just under 4.8m in cap relief to spend to replace Kane's salary. 

Matching Broberg and Holloway is just under 6.9m so they'd be 2m above cap even with Kane on LTIR. 

You may make it work if you retain 500k of Cece and trade him. 

It is possible but highly risky. 

Then yes you can keep Holloway and Broberg, get rid of Cece and LTIR Kane and just barely make it work. 

If they did all of the mentioned then they would be running with 6D and 13 forwards. 

One D injury where its not LTIR and they'd be screwed as they are right against the cap and cant replace him unless you waive Hamblin

And then what happens when Kane comes back? 

How do you clear 5m of cap when you are such a top heavy team and there's only 6 guys making that much? 

Matching those offersheets means you are going into the season knowing there may be games you are only dressing 5D and 11 forwards... 

And then you are praying that a GM does you a favor and bails you out when Kane returns because you'd need to clear 5m at one point in the season while already playing such a risky game. 

20 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I think Edmonton is currently just 341k over the cap. They can match the offersheets and then decide what to do with Kane and future trades to bring down the cap but then they would be highly exposed and vulnerable to other GMs taking advantage of them. 

Unless they can trade Cece, I think they'll at most match Holloway. Anything else would be way too risky. 

Yeah, I can see Oilers matching Holloway, but letting Broberg walk. It would create a hole on D for them though