St. Louis Blues Offer Sheet Oilers Holloway and Broberg

3 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

But what do they do when Kane returns? 

If no teams in the league help them what happens? They forfeit the season? 

That's be a VERY dangerous game to play if they move Perry and Brown down just to match those offersheets. 

They would need a major bailout once Kane comes back whether it's be another player making 5m and above going on LTIR or another team saving them... 

Like what really happens if no one helps them? 

I don't think that's ever happened  where a team couldn't be cap compliant

They'd have to play the season with 3 lines and 5D or something and waive everyone that is below the burying threshold which I believe is 1.15m

Not being compliant is not an option at any time. I recall a team (Washington if memory serves me correctly) had to play a number of games with 15 players or so and send the rest down to the minors to get under the cap. Don't recall if any were lost.

Buttman would shit a giant brick all over Edmonton if they refused to be compliant 3/4 of way through season by not trading players, waiving players, losing players on waivers, ... etc... in order to be compliant. Edmonton would be relegated to the WHL by the time the league was done with their intentional non compliance mid season.

Good thing I bought a few bags of Chicago Mix popcorn from Costco on the weekend, this will be a fun week. 

Edited by Rocket-68
  • Haha 3

32 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

its too bad, because moving Ceci makes them better. 

Oh well, they'll have to bleed a 1st at least to do it. 

Maybe, but I'm not sure paying assets they'd have likely used closer to the deadline will 

Almost any way this goes, other playoff teams in the Pacific may benefit

They're already down their 2025 1st and 2nd

Edited by Coconuts
  • chaos 1

3 minutes ago, Rocket-68 said:

Not being compliant is not an option at any time. I recall a team (Washington if memory serves me correctly) had to play a number of games with 15 players or so and send the rest down to the minors to get under the cap. Don't recall if any were lost.

Buttman would shit a giant brick all over Edmonton if they refused to be compliant 3/4 of way through season by not trading players, waiving players, losing players on waivers, ... etc... in order to be compliant. Edmonton would be relegated to the WHL by the time the league was done with their intentional non compliance mid season.

Good thing I bought a few bags of Chicago Mix popcorn from Costco on the weekend, this will be a fun week. 

So, the only thing Edmonton has going for them on this is, they CAN go as much as 10% over cap during off season and then hope that they can become cap compliant in camp. It's a dangerous game, basically hoping that you can make a trade or counting on there being an injury that will account for a LOT of cap space.

If we assume that Kane sits out the first couple of months and they decide to match. If I'm doing math right, that would still leave them needing to find about 2.5 to 3 million in LTIR to start the season

Basic math, they have 21 guys and are 341k over cap

Kane would give them 5.125 LTIR relief leaving them about 4.78 space with 20 guys

Match the contracts offered by the Blues, adds almost 6.9 million but now 22 guys

Leaves them about 2.1 million over cap with 22 guys.

If they can find a taker for Ceci with a sweetener would dree up 3.25 million but back to 21 guys but now with 1.15 million in space.

Dial in Stecher as their extra RD would give them 22 guys and about 360....ish k to play with.

It's workable, but not ideal for a team that is trying to chase a cup next season.

• Cheers 1

BREAKING NEWS! THIS JUST IN!

Dry-my-saddle and McJesus have agreed to a 1 year contract for the league minimum when they are able to sign in order to help the cap space situation.

Source: my 3rd pint.

Edited by Rocket-68
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

So, the only thing Edmonton has going for them on this is, they CAN go as much as 10% over cap during off season and then hope that they can become cap compliant in camp. It's a dangerous game, basically hoping that you can make a trade or counting on there being an injury that will account for a LOT of cap space.

If we assume that Kane sits out the first couple of months and they decide to match. If I'm doing math right, that would still leave them needing to find about 2.5 to 3 million in LTIR to start the season

Basic math, they have 21 guys and are 341k over cap

Kane would give them 5.125 LTIR relief leaving them about 4.78 space with 20 guys

Match the contracts offered by the Blues, adds almost 6.9 million but now 22 guys

Leaves them about 2.1 million over cap with 22 guys.

If they can find a taker for Ceci with a sweetener would dree up 3.25 million but back to 21 guys but now with 1.15 million in space.

Dial in Stecher as their extra RD would give them 22 guys and about 360....ish k to play with.

It's workable, but not ideal for a team that is trying to chase a cup next season.

We could always trade them Poolman for Future Considerations ... being a First Round pick if they manage to squeak into the playoffs. Not sure exactly on the mechanics of a player on LTIR and trading but this may be one of those rare situations were we can offload to gain accruable cap space. 

Someone more knowledgeable can explain if I am correct or out to lunch.

Edited by Rocket-68
  • Like 2

Hahaha love that they got offer sheeted.

So screwed and wait till cry cycle is extended.

A scumbag franchise these young players will be lucky to get away from. 

good luck moving Kane or anyone at this point very GM knows your screwed your players have no value and the cost to eat cap jyst went way up. 

great job STL 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Might be time for them to package up Draisaitl and Nurse.  They can't afford to go into the season with an aging Ekholm as their only NHLer on the blueline.

That’s about what it would take to get off of Nurse! 😄

44 minutes ago, Rocket-68 said:

A couple of seasons ago Taylor Hall was ready before the end of the season but the bruins had no cap space. He never was re-activated until after the season ended. Seems like different rules for different teams.

• Cheers 1

53 minutes ago, Rocket-68 said:

Technically, you can be over the cap by certain percentage (don't remember the exact number) during offseason, which is what we see at the moment with several teams.

2 minutes ago, RomanPer said:

Technically, you can be over the cap by certain percentage (don't remember the exact number) during offseason, which is what we see at the moment with several teams.

10% and matching St Loius would put them over ... GO ARMY-BOY GO!!!!! Offer sheet everyone on the Edmonton team eligible a box of Krispy Kremes as a signing bonus just for the hell of it.

Edited by Rocket-68
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

As of now, they are 341k above cap. 

Once they LTIR Kane, with the way LTIR relief works, they would have (5.125-341k) in relief overage.

This means they would have just under 4.8m in cap relief to spend to replace Kane's salary. 

Matching Broberg and Holloway is just under 6.9m so they'd be 2m above cap even with Kane on LTIR. 

You may make it work if you retain 500k of Cece and trade him. 

It is possible but highly risky. 

Then yes you can keep Holloway and Broberg, get rid of Cece and LTIR Kane and just barely make it work. 

If they did all of the mentioned then they would be running with 6D and 13 forwards. 

One D injury where its not LTIR and they'd be screwed as they are right against the cap and cant replace him unless you waive Hamblin

And then what happens when Kane comes back? 

How do you clear 5m of cap when you are such a top heavy team and there's only 6 guys making that much? 

Matching those offersheets means you are going into the season knowing there may be games you are only dressing 5D and 11 forwards... 

And then you are praying that a GM does you a favor and bails you out when Kane returns because you'd need to clear 5m at one point in the season while already playing such a risky game. 

and would not surprise me to see CHI bail out Bowman if it comes to this…

9 hours ago, Bure10Kuzmenko96 said:

They're still over the cap right now with Broberg and Holloway not signed. Both are gonna be good players. They're screwed

Thank you Ken Holland!

Welcome to Edmonton Stan Bowman  😁

2 hours ago, Snoop Hogg said:

Do we really want The Nuge?

Nugent-Hopkins if they retain %50 is worth it.... 2.5 mil for another 4 years, he is gonna get 70-80 points per year still and is Vancouver born i think.

Would give Oils enough room to match both offers.

Then Canucks would have to make some room by opening day, perhaps getting someone to take Poolman for a 2nd rnd pick. There are teams with cap space to do that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RWJC said:

There is no way CHI does a favor that hurts CHI! Short of video footage involving Mexican Midgets, Sombreos, Tequila and the entire Chicago staff, CHI extracts 5 lbs of flesh ... anything less would be corporate malpractice... last I heard Billionaire owners and Buttman (their lackey) don't do each other favors ... prove me wrong Coiler GM and I will promise to petition a 1/2 moratorium on bashing you about the head and shoulders with a Pacific Halibut for 1/2 season.

Edited by Rocket-68
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, RWJC said:

Chicago won't. Firstly, Bowman was one of the people responsible for ownership being fined $2 million dollars. Secondly, Bowman is not cited as a good GM, even by much of the Chicago fanbase. The fans there largely think that the team won in spite of Bowman. And if you look deeper, the rosters changes made by Bowman himself (not the predecessor like Tallon) are very pale and underwhelming.

Edited by PureQuickness

2 hours ago, Rocket-68 said:

10% and matching St Loius would put them over ... GO ARMY-BOY GO!!!!! Offer sheet everyone on the Edmonton team eligible a box of Krispy Kremes as a signing bonus just for the hell of it.

It'd be close but 10% is 8.8 million because the cap is 88 million ya? So I don't think it quite reaches the 10% but they are royally screwed and are going to get bent over a barrel no matter what. This puts a smile on my face lol

• ThereItIs 2
  • MillerTime 1

24 minutes ago, nobigneil said:

It'd be close but 10% is 8.8 million because the cap is 88 million ya? So I don't think it quite reaches the 10% but they are royally screwed and are going to get bent over a barrel no matter what. This puts a smile on my face lol

This! There is a line starting with Army Boy and each GM behind Armstrong holding an ever increasing jar of KY Jelly, 

If I had to bet, this would be Bowman's ass start of the season ....

(_0_)

and down 2 or 3 prospect or picks. Welcome to the new NHL Stan!

As always, my source is: a 4th pint!

Edited by Rocket-68