St. Louis Blues Offer Sheet Oilers Holloway and Broberg

6 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

While I laugh my head off at Edmonton and their fans right now, I have to say, contracts like EP's puts us in a similar position down the road unless guys take pay cuts.

you have a bit of a point, however, EP contract doesnt need to be renewed for EIGHT YEARS! If we can get Brock, Demmers, Hughes signed for the next decade, at least our big contracts are between Goalie, D, and forwards. A much better mix.

• Vintage 1

31 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

While I laugh my head off at Edmonton and their fans right now, I have to say, contracts like EP's puts us in a similar position down the road unless guys take pay cuts.

Miller, Demko, and Hughes are already making way under market value.

With the salary cap going up its not an issue.

11.6 mil will be the equivalent of like 10 mil in a few years.

• Upvote 1
  • MillerTime 1

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I really hope they extend Boeser now, instead of when 8.5 is peanuts.... and before he has an even better season.

20 minutes ago, stawns said:

why would he sign now?

if Brock signs now, he can focus on hockey instead of all the Media crap and Fan discussions and speculations that happened with Petey.... extend him now like they did with JT. some of us thought JT @ 8 was an overpay, geez I was wrong. Best deal in the League almost!

Instead of having to "prove" something BB06 can just go play hockey and love every minute of it.

And I can buy a 06 jersey finally.

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, stawns said:

why would he sign now?

- Security

- He is willing to fit into the cap structure that management need to stay with in

- eliminate any sort of distraction (most of his career he has been battling distraction)

- recognizes that if he signs now there is more clarity on what management can do with trades to improve depth and role players

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • MillerTime 1

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

This is a lesson to take care of your RFAs early. 

Don’t nickel and dime them and leave yourself exposed to offer sheets.

And don’t spend 7 mil on two wingers that you don’t need, unless anyone was worried that the Oil wouldn’t be able to score enough next year.

Lose Foegle, trade McLeod, possibly miscalculate Holloway and the oldest team in the league gets, what? Slower and older 3rd and 4th lines?

What bugged me was how aggressively this team was ceremoniously crowned after the draft and free agency periods, even by the media heads in this town, and all I could see were confusing maneuvers that didn’t move any needles in my view and were likely not going to age well going forward.

Maybe if they become somehow aggressively “all in” this year it will all make sense but how all in have they allowed themselves to go?

• Cheers 1

54 minutes ago, EastCoastExpress said:

I really hope they extend Boeser now, instead of when 8.5 is peanuts.... and before he has an even better season.

They will. He and JT were one of the best duos in the NHL last year. No reason to think that'll change for 24-25.

I'm thinking Brock will advise his agent that he want's to stay in Van for a few more years, even though he could get more on the open market...

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

They will. He and JT were one of the best duos in the NHL last year. No reason to think that'll change for 24-25.

I'm thinking Brock will advise his agent that he want's to stay in Van for a few more years, even though he could get more on the open market...

I still think we can get Boeser extended for $7.5-$8 with term

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

43 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Could have gone to Walmart but went to the the Bay instead. Live and learn, sometimes the hard way. 

jack-nicholson-laughing-hysterically-tq8

Oh; One more thing.

Now they'll have to trade a high pick to get rid of that AHL trash and still only one proven NHLer on the blueline.

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Our management with their 3D chess strategy has it in the bag, they've staggered their contracts so only one of the stars is expiring each year (Boeser next year, Demko after that, Hughes after that; the guys they've locked up are Miller, Petey, DeBrusk, Joshua and Hronek).  What a difference it makes with a management team that understands roster composition (construct the core, find savvy complementary acquisitions below age 30 to build around the fringes).

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

16 hours ago, BTueyCanucksFan said:

If we had the cap available next year, it would be hilarious to sign Bouchard to an offer sheet this time next year...

Not us lol, but if some other team needing young RFA RD decided to do that, lemme know where to send the gift basket.
Leon and Evan both expiring in the same summer when they only have $18 million in cap space must be the stuff of nightmares, and they might even be worse run than the Leafs (Tavares at $11 million is bad, but Nurse at $9??).  They're so top heavy in general that they're bound to get screwed over again.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Phil_314 said:

Our management with their 3D chess strategy has it in the bag, they've staggered their contracts so only one of the stars is expiring each year (Boeser next year, Demko after that, Hughes after that; the guys they've locked up are Miller, Petey, DeBrusk, Joshua and Hronek).  What a difference it makes with a management team that understands roster composition (construct the core, find savvy complementary acquisitions below age 30 to build around the fringes).

This management has done what the previous management couldn't - balance their books effectively. Gillis had Gilman (who is not without any mistakes), but Benning didn't compartmentalize and there were issues with communication as well.

• ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, PureQuickness said:

This management has done what the previous management couldn't - balance their books effectively. Gillis had Gilman (who is not without any mistakes), but Benning didn't compartmentalize and there were issues with communication as well.

"We ran out of time."  Glad we're done with that era of Canucks hockey.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

Not us lol, but if some other team needing young RFA RD decided to do that, lemme know where to send the gift basket.
Leon and Evan both expiring in the same summer when they only have $18 million in cap space must be the stuff of nightmares, and they might even be worse run than the Leafs (Tavares at $11 million is bad, but Nurse at $9??).  They're so top heavy in general that they're bound to get screwed over again.

We want Bouchard in our division.

36 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

"We ran out of time."  Glad we're done with that era of Canucks hockey.

Benning wasn't a terrible GM overall, all things considered. He had a not-so-good to average tenure. He made himself worse than he could've been. If he had a better leadership style (he's not cut out to be that, personality wise), he could've done a lot better. His bread and butter was scouting and he did a fine job for the most part in that department. His pro scouting wasn't as good as it could've been (with exception to the Miller trade) and his free agent signings had left a lot to be desired. That said, he did fill in holes that were left behind by the Gillis tenure (no prospects left behind). This enabled the JR/Allvin tenure to move forward at least while having to de-tangle the remnants of Benning's mistakes.

The summary of his tenure is that he was a stop-gap measure for someone better.

Edited by PureQuickness
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

I still think we can get Boeser extended for $7.5-$8 with term

This is why we shouldn't. Term and Brock is no bueno. He's injury prone and already top 10 slowest players in the league. Brocks a great guy but anything over 4 years IMO is a baaaaaad idea. 

Anyone saying he can play bottom 6 in the tail end he can't his biggest value is his IQ like a Thomas Vanek. Enjoy peak Brock for now I'm ok to pay him 8.5 x4  but 7x8 would be mistake imo. 

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

This is why we shouldn't. Term and Brock is no bueno. He's injury prone and already top 10 slowest players in the league. Brocks a great guy but anything over 4 years IMO is a baaaaaad idea. 

Anyone saying he can play bottom 6 in the tail end he can't his biggest value is his IQ like a Thomas Vanek. Enjoy peak Brock for now I'm ok to pay him 8.5 x4  but 7x8 would be mistake imo. 

Respectfully disagree 🍻

• Cheers 2
  • MillerTime 1

2 hours ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Could have gone to Walmart but went to the the Bay instead. Live and learn, sometimes the hard way. 

jack-nicholson-laughing-hysterically-tq8

Oh; One more thing.

Trading Ceci and letting Broberg go is the easiest path for the Oilers.  They'd have to run a 21 man roster.

Lucky for them, Ceci is on his last year of his deal and a pending UFA.  He's also a RHD, so that makes him a bit more useful.  Overpaid, yes, but I think a 2nd or 3rd round pick as a sweetener would get it done.

They'd basically flip the 2nd that they get as compensation for Broberg to unload Ceci.

Edited by HKSR
  • Confused 1