St. Louis Blues Offer Sheet Oilers Holloway and Broberg

38 minutes ago, HKSR said:

That's not even the return because in order to keep Holloway, the Oilers would basically have to give away Broberg and Ceci for absolutely nothing.

That's why Broberg won't be given up, as he is harder to replace. I'm gonna bet that Broberg will be the one kept.

19 minutes ago, EastCoastExpress said:

to me, Ceci seemed like he learned to skate backwards in Mexico on rollerblades.

I didnt understand why Oils never used Stecher. Stech is probably one of their most reliable stay at home d-men.

Stecher is a good depth guy but he shouldn’t be a regular top 6.

Oilers speed up front means their D men don’t have to be that great at skating. 

Ceci was a big part of their insane pk they rolled in the playoffs. Doubt they wanna lose him.

21 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Stecher is a good depth guy but he shouldn’t be a regular top 6.

Oilers speed up front means their D men don’t have to be that great at skating. 

Ceci was a big part of their insane pk they rolled in the playoffs. Doubt they wanna lose him.

Stecher is still the only legit NHLer they have on D other than Ekholm.  Oilers will have to package up a lot of picks to get rid of AHL trash like Ceci at his salary.

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

Stecher is still the only legit NHLer they have on D other than Ekholm.  Oilers will have to package up a lot of picks to get rid of AHL trash like Ceci at his salary.

I hate the Oilers as much as the next guy but, come on now ...

Their D was pretty good in the playoffs and Bouchard is a beast. Sure he's no Nik Lindstrom defensively but the guy had a historic playoff offensively and was a difference maker.

Like another posted alluded too as well, Ceci was huge for their PK

Losing Broberg and Desharnais will be a huge blow though

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, bh90 said:

Their D was pretty good in the playoffs and Bouchard is a beast. Sure he's no Nik Lindstrom defensively but the guy had a historic playoff offensively and was a difference maker.

Bouchard isn't even good enough to play on a good AHL team with his refusal to learn how to play defence.  He's worse than useless.  Ekholm was the only proven NHLer in that group and he's getting on in years l.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, PureQuickness said:

That's why Broberg won't be given up, as he is harder to replace. I'm gonna bet that Broberg will be the one kept.

They'd have to find a way to unload Kane then.  Moving Ceci and walking from Holloway won't be enough to keep Broberg.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bh90 said:

lol literally everyone that plays with mcdavid will have a historic playoff offensively.. if u stick Hughes or Makar there instead of bouchard.. they'll literally blow the record out of the water.. Bouchard have a good shot but he's only getting those shots thru coz mcdavid opens up the lane for him.. it's not like bouchard does anything with the puck.. he literally just stand at the point wait for a mcdavid pass 1 timer.. kinda like hyman standing next to the net for tap in... literally anyone that have a big accurate 1 timer from the point will get as much points as bouchard.. stick bouchard on a team without mcdavid? 30-40 points tops and a defensive liability because he's not in the offensive zone 24/7 with mcdavid

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol literally everyone that plays with mcdavid will have a historic playoff offensively.. if u stick Hughes or Makar there instead of bouchard.. they'll literally blow the record out of the water.. Bouchard have a good shot but he's only getting those shots thru coz mcdavid opens up the lane for him.. it's not like bouchard does anything with the puck.. he literally just stand at the point wait for a mcdavid pass 1 timer.. kinda like hyman standing next to the net for tap in... literally anyone that have a big accurate 1 timer from the point will get as much points as bouchard.. stick bouchard on a team without mcdavid? 30-40 points tops and a defensive liability because he's not in the offensive zone 24/7 with mcdavid

Quit drinking with @King Heffy!

5 minutes ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

Quit drinking with @King Heffy!

quit drinking long ago XD but it's true anyone that thinks bouchard is a star in this league.. wait till u see what bouchard is without mcdavid.. then decide if he's a star.. good player.. hardly a star.. and hardly even worthy be mentioned in the norris conversation.. unlike karlsson hughes and makar.. he doesn't create offence by himself.. and as seen many times in the playoff.. they are great at shot supression coz they are hardly in the defensive zone when mcdavid is out there.. but when they are in the defensive zone.. bouchard is lost and the puck does end up in the net quite a bit the rare times they are playing defence.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

On 8/13/2024 at 4:15 PM, Ghostsof1915 said:

Best part, is they will be middling 2nd and 3rd round picks. 

Edmonton deserves this. It really doesn't make St. Louis look very good either. 

Its one of these small gifts in life... they are screwing one another, and we get to sit back and enjoy watching it unfold. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

7 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Don’t think the Oilers can afford to part with Ceci. He was a big part of their run.

They don’t have any reliable D men other than Ekholm if they trade him. 

But, but, but they have Nurse at 9.25 the upcoming 6 years...?

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, bh90 said:

Bouchard, who was kicked in the head by a cow at age 10, is a puck sucker. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

20 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Nah, let em suffer and pay their way out

20 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

In a vacuum I like that swap, but as far as helping the Oil? F em 

It doesn’t help the oilers do anything but keep their players. It ensures they’re stuck in LTIR money for the TDL and can’t make a big add without subtracting from their roster. They also wouldn’t be able to use Broberg or Holloway as trade chips because they have to remain Oilers for a year. They keep one guy but it almost kills their cup chances

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

10 hours ago, HKSR said:

They'd have to find a way to unload Kane then.  Moving Ceci and walking from Holloway won't be enough to keep Broberg.

LTIR? Ryan Rishaug of TSN (Edmonton) was refreshingly honest. The team COULD keep both, but they'd be very uncomfortable doing so. The team would be shorthanded and that is not how they should start the season. It's kind of a blessing that Kane is not healthy and can be put on LTIR for the next little bit.

Of course, a trade is in the works for sure to make space.

7 minutes ago, PureQuickness said:

LTIR? Ryan Rishaug of TSN (Edmonton) was refreshingly honest. The team COULD keep both, but they'd be very uncomfortable doing so. The team would be shorthanded and that is not how they should start the season. It's kind of a blessing that Kane is not healthy and can be put on LTIR for the next little bit.

Of course, a trade is in the works for sure to make space.

That's only a temporary solution unless they feel Kane will be gone for the entire season.  As soon as he returns, they'll be in the same spot they are right now.

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, HKSR said:

That's only a temporary solution unless they feel Kane will be gone for the entire season.  As soon as he returns, they'll be in the same spot they are right now.

If they have to do a retention of some player, I'm sure they'll consider it. However, giving up Broberg for a 2nd IMO is a no-go. It's not a good nor exact comparison, but it's like early version Quinn Hughes being let go for a 2nd rounder. You just won't do it. As people have mentioned, the Oilers blueline is thinner than ever. They can't afford to let Broberg walk, especially someone who played as well as he did.

Edited by PureQuickness
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

20 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Yea I doubt they wanna back themselves into a corner like that. Who’s gonna do them a favour when Kane is ready to return? Unless they try and pull a Vegas and keep him on LTIR till playoffs, but I doubt a Canadian team could get away with that.

They also have Draisaitl and Bouchard extensions to consider. Matching Broberg would be another 3 mil they didn’t plan on spending.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 2

11 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Yea I doubt they wanna back themselves into a corner like that. Who’s gonna do them a favour when Kane is ready to return? Unless they try and pull a Vegas and keep him on LTIR till playoffs, but I doubt a Canadian team could get away with that.

They also have Draisaitl and Bouchard extensions to consider. Matching Broberg would be another 3 mil they didn’t plan on spending.

Broberg's too young and too much potential to give up for a very low 2nd rounder (if St. Louis does well). No shot that they'll let him walk.

28 minutes ago, PureQuickness said:

If they have to do a retention of some player, I'm sure they'll consider it. However, giving up Broberg for a 2nd IMO is a no-go. It's not a good nor exact comparison, but it's like early version Quinn Hughes being let go for a 2nd rounder. You just won't do it. As people have mentioned, the Oilers blueline is thinner than ever. They can't afford to let Broberg walk, especially someone who played as well as he did.

They might not want to, but the math doesn't work.  Kane has to be traded.  If it means retaining a bit on him, then that's what they'll have to do if they wanna keep Broberg.  

Here's what it could look like with $1M retention on Kane, and walking away from Holloway:

image.thumb.png.3c97dd1755b2ac7ee350d56129f31d82.png

They'd be carrying 8 defencemen, so moving on from Brown or demoting him would get them onside with the cap, but then they'd only have 11 forwards.  Moving Ceci AND Kane would be the only realistic way of keeping Broberg.

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

they will pull a Vegas. Who would stop them? 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Yeah, the math simply doesn't work unless Kane is traded.  It's either Kane or Broberg.  You can't have both.