St. Louis Blues Offer Sheet Oilers Holloway and Broberg

4 hours ago, PureQuickness said:

I'm not. However, I did refer to sources like Rishaug (Edmonton reporter for TSN), along with Steve Dangle (Toronto fan). The two have very different approaches to the topic, but they both generally agree that Edmonton is not in a good spot. Both players are former first round picks. Dangle specifically said that Broberg is a good young defenseman. And if you put the pieces together of what we all know - that Edmonton is not chock full of defensive prospects - one can readily see that Broberg is not a player that you can just give up for a 2nd rounder. And to be clear, it's not a high 2nd rounder most likely. You're looking at potentially a LOW 2nd rounder, bordering a 3rd round pick. That's NOT a good return at all.

The defenseman was a former 8th overall pick who had a very good season + playoffs at 23 years old. It's clear as day that Edmonton can't afford to let Broberg walk.

Absolute best case scenario for Edmonton it is a mid 2nd round pick, they’re too good of a team to bottom out. 

• Cheers 1

The Oilers haven't matched yet have they? Puckpedia has them on the Oilers roster as signed.

I'm wondering - if they are unable to move a player, are they in a position that they can't match the offer? There must be some GM's trying to play hardball with them.

7 minutes ago, gizmo2337 said:

The Oilers haven't matched yet have they? Puckpedia has them on the Oilers roster as signed.

I'm wondering - if they are unable to move a player, are they in a position that they can't match the offer? There must be some GM's trying to play hardball with them.

Any gm not demanding their 2026 1st should be fired.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2
  • chaos 1

Random article in the province said Kulak for Poolman’s cap hit.  

Would help accrue as you could send someone down since Kulak can actually play hockey games.  

2.75 x 2 left on Kulak who’s 6’2 200.  Left handed guy. Possible upgrade on Forbort and adds some depth that side either way. 

It’s interesting. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, gizmo2337 said:

No. Although Broberg and Holloway signed the offer sheets for St. Louis, they have them signed to the Oilers roster because no transfer of rights has happened yet.

Yes, they are pretty fucked. They could match and be under the max offseason cap, but that would make them even more vulnerable in a cap dump trade they would absolutely have to make by season start, and they'd need to clear $7m+. They would have no draft picks left.

Edited by Chickenspear
  • ThereItIs 1

8 hours ago, Bob Long said:

is moving Kane enough tho? 

No. That saves one. 

Some speculation that they actually trade Arvidsson, Henrique, Kulak or Ceci to make it work, but they may not be able to get anything other than LTIR contracts. I would be 100% on board with Kulak for Poolman as I’ve stated already. 

I know a lot of Oil fans want to qualify Holloway and let Broberg walk, but Ekholm is 34 and they don’t have anyone else in the pipeline. They may have to let Holloway walk and call up Savoie or Lavoie for that role if they can’t find a dance partner. 

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

17 minutes ago, The Duke said:

Would help accrue as you could send someone down since Kulak can actually play hockey games.  

2.75 x 2 left on Kulak who’s 6’2 200.  Left handed guy. Possible upgrade on Forbort and adds some depth that side either way. 

It’s interesting. 

Kulak is a solid defensive defenseman and the perfect #5 for this team. He’s close to being as good as Soucy just without the reach and, as you said, we’d accrue cap space while the Oilers are stuck in LTIR 

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, Honkin Hronek said:

No. That saves one. 

Some speculation that they actually trade Arvidsson, Henrique, Kulak or Ceci to make it work, but they may not be able to get anything other than LTIR contracts. I would be 100% on board with Kulak for Poolman as I’ve stated already. 

I know a lot of Oil fans want to qualify Holloway and let Broberg walk, but Ekholm is 34 and they don’t have anyone else in the pipeline. They may have to let Holloway walk and call up Savoie or Lavoie for that role if they can’t find a dance partner. 

Moving poolmans contract is an interesting idea... Not sure I want to help EDM tho, but that's a good deal for us. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Honkin Hronek said:

Kulak is a solid defensive defenseman and the perfect #5 for this team. He’s close to being as good as Soucy just without the reach and, as you said, we’d accrue cap space while the Oilers are stuck in LTIR 

Yeah, I hate the idea of helping the Oilers out, but I’m not convinced either option for them (letting Broberg walk / moving vets on good contracts to retain him) really helps them at all.

Broberg walking for a paltry 2nd or at 4.5 hurts either way - the damage is done. May as well add a solid player and help us accrue space. I like the idea.

43 minutes ago, gizmo2337 said:

They haven't matched or declined yet. They still have 5 days

31 minutes ago, Honkin Hronek said:

No. That saves one. 

If they traded Kulak to us for Poolman then Oilers better add their 1st round pick

7 minutes ago, Bure10Kuzmenko96 said:

If they traded Kulak to us for Poolman then Oilers better add their 1st round pick

There's got to be 31 teams trying to fleece the Oilers right now. Predictions - which team will buckle and help them out by taking their draft picks? 😁

I'm going to call Red Wings.

45 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Moving poolmans contract is an interesting idea... Not sure I want to help EDM tho, but that's a good deal for us. 

You’re thinking to narrow-sighted. The two teams are clearly quite close together as shown by the series and standings last year. A healthy Demko negates the Oilers adds, so I imagine it’s still quite close. Whoever goes further in the playoffs will likely be decided at the Trade Deadline, which is what we should be looking towards. If Edmonton matches both Broberg and Holloway, not only will they be in LTIR all season, but they’d also lose two of their biggest trade chips because both players would need to remain oilers until 1 year from their signing date. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, The Duke said:

It’s interesting. 

I think we do it and then put Kulak in ABBY to see what Forbert can do! then we Accrue Poolman's space till TDL.

Abby can afford one fancy Dman.

lol that would stick daggers in Edm. I wish we had CapFreindly but PuckPedia shows minors salary info on Kulak

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, Chickenspear said:

Edmonton deserves to suffer, so I don't want to help them. I want them to burn, and waste McDiver's prime.

Yea why would we help Edmonton out for a measly return of Kulak?

We can find someone else to take the Poolman contract.

• Cheers 2
  • chaos 1

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Yea why would we help Edmonton out for a measly return of Kulak?

We can find someone else to take the Poolman contract.

ok then, how about Poolman's 2.5M LTIR for Ryan Nugget-Hopkins and Edmonton retains %50. Works for our cap, and theirs.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, EastCoastExpress said:

ok then, how about Poolman's 2.5M LTIR for Ryan Nugget-Hopkins and Edmonton retains %50. Works for our cap, and theirs.

Or something like:

Vancouver trades:

Tucker Poolman

Edmonton trades:

Kulak

Savoie

I'd much rather try to get savoie than a late first round pick. This is what the Canucks should do. We don't need to move poolman. Oilers need space or they can let 2 top 15 draft picks ( that they developed) for a measly 2nd and 3rd. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Honkin Hronek said:

You’re thinking to narrow-sighted. The two teams are clearly quite close together as shown by the series and standings last year. A healthy Demko negates the Oilers adds, so I imagine it’s still quite close. Whoever goes further in the playoffs will likely be decided at the Trade Deadline, which is what we should be looking towards. If Edmonton matches both Broberg and Holloway, not only will they be in LTIR all season, but they’d also lose two of their biggest trade chips because both players would need to remain oilers until 1 year from their signing date. 

Good points.

12 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

Kane is already going to LTIR and they may be banking on being able to suspend him before he gets back. 
Never really liked the Blues before now.

lol banking on suspending him?? If they can suspend him they already suspend him. Unless it’s an nhl issued suspension it’s still counting on the cap.. they are not going to wait till he’s off ltir before suspending him to help the oilers out lol