St. Louis Blues Offer Sheet Oilers Holloway and Broberg

2 hours ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

I still think we can get Boeser extended for $7.5-$8 with term

Maybe.... if they do it now. If its after an even better season, we would be lucky to get him at 9.5x8years.

And for the brock haters out there, what you gonna replace him with? gnpretzel? who barely got 2 30 goal seasons at 9.5?

Boeser isnt slow, he is methodical and knows how to get open ice.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

This is why we shouldn't. Term and Brock is no bueno. He's injury prone and already top 10 slowest players in the league. Brocks a great guy but anything over 4 years IMO is a baaaaaad idea. 

Anyone saying he can play bottom 6 in the tail end he can't his biggest value is his IQ like a Thomas Vanek. Enjoy peak Brock for now I'm ok to pay him 8.5 x4  but 7x8 would be mistake imo. 

I dont know why you think speed equals greatness. Mikalev was super speedy. Boeser goes slow at times so the puck gets to him on his stick.

He sure gets the puck off his stick fast.

Fast hands are more important for Brock's role than fast skates. Get over it.

9 minutes ago, EastCoastExpress said:

I dont know why you think speed equals greatness. Mikalev was super speedy. Boeser goes slow at times so the puck gets to him on his stick.

Similar type of player to Brett Hull.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Ovechkin too. if you compare on

speed, and if you look at age, we would be lucky to have Boeser for 10 more years. Ovi has not really slowed down, he was always the open guy in the middle

https://edge.nhl.com/en/compare/skaters/20232024-regular-8478444-20232024-regular-8471214

5 minutes ago, EastCoastExpress said:

Ovechkin too. if you compare on

speed, and if you look at age, we would be lucky to have Boeser for 10 more years. Ovi has not really slowed down, he was always the open guy in the middle

https://edge.nhl.com/en/compare/skaters/20232024-regular-8478444-20232024-regular-8471214

He doesn't really have Ovi's mean streak.

• Tank 1

1 hour ago, PureQuickness said:

Benning wasn't a terrible GM overall, all things considered. He had a not-so-good to average tenure. He made himself worse than he could've been. If he had a better leadership style (he's not cut out to be that, personality wise), he could've done a lot better. His bread and butter was scouting and he did a fine job for the most part in that department. His pro scouting wasn't as good as it could've been (with exception to the Miller trade) and his free agent signings had left a lot to be desired. That said, he did fill in holes that were left behind by the Gillis tenure (no prospects left behind). This enabled the JR/Allvin tenure to move forward at least while having to de-tangle the remnants of Benning's mistakes.

The summary of his tenure is that he was a stop-gap measure for someone better.

I would agree that his tenure did get off to a solid start, but boy was that free agency (and the deer in headlights look at the draft table) a horrible look.

Just now, EastCoastExpress said:

Time will tell my friend. Hope you're right. Especially if he gets 7-8 years. I'm no Brock hater. I just want the team to win. I thought Brock was great in the playoffs. 

• Cheers 4

44 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Let’s give him a liiittle more defensive credit - if for no other reason than playing modern hockey under Tocchet. 

I think his injury issues are behind him and speed can be developed/maintained. He’s certainly a trigger man I’d rather have on our team than the opposition.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

Not us lol, but if some other team needing young RFA RD decided to do that, lemme know where to send the gift basket.
Leon and Evan both expiring in the same summer when they only have $18 million in cap space must be the stuff of nightmares, and they might even be worse run than the Leafs (Tavares at $11 million is bad, but Nurse at $9??).  They're so top heavy in general that they're bound to get screwed over again.

Indeed. Watching the tire fire that is Deadmonton is entertaining at least. The way things are now, if they can't extend Leon, I can almost guarantee that McDavid will ask for a trade. 

3 hours ago, HKSR said:

Trading Ceci and letting Broberg go is the easiest path for the Oilers.  They'd have to run a 21 man roster.

Lucky for them, Ceci is on his last year of his deal and a pending UFA.  He's also a RHD, so that makes him a bit more useful.  Overpaid, yes, but I think a 2nd or 3rd round pick as a sweetener would get it done.

They'd basically flip the 2nd that they get as compensation for Broberg to unload Ceci.

A 2nd round pick is a terrible return for an NHL ready young defenseman in Broberg.

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Bro won the lottery and Hollo didn't do too bad either.  Thing is, nobody will want them if their salary (and future demands) are out of whack due to QO rules.  This really sticks it to the Oilers but does little for these players unless they can live up to the new salary's 

22 minutes ago, PureQuickness said:

A 2nd round pick is a terrible return for an NHL ready young defenseman in Broberg.

Yea considering Nils Lundqvist went for a 1st and a 4th and Broberg is better and more proven than he was.

29 minutes ago, PureQuickness said:

which is why this whole situation is so sweet to watch.....

But also scary to think we could lose Podkolzin on waivers for stupid management decisions too.

31 minutes ago, PureQuickness said:

That's not even the return because in order to keep Holloway, the Oilers would basically have to give away Broberg and Ceci for absolutely nothing.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Bro won the lottery and Hollo didn't do too bad either.  Thing is, nobody will want them if their salary (and future demands) are out of whack due to QO rules.  This really sticks it to the Oilers but does little for these players unless they can live up to the new salary's 

It does little for them except guarantee them 5M and 9M over 2 years. Not bad. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

That's not even the return because in order to keep Holloway, the Oilers would basically have to give away Broberg and Ceci for absolutely nothing.

probably a pick with Ceci. likely the 2nd they get from St.Louis.

I am starting to really like that we took Desharnais from them already too!

Edited by EastCoastExpress

Broberg is so interesting in that he’s *not* worth 4.5 mil AAV … but he’s also worth a lot more than a 2nd round pick.

Considering they were planning to play him on his off side on the right, they’re probably also missing Desharnais at 2.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

8 minutes ago, EastCoastExpress said:

probably a pick with Ceci. likely the 2nd they get from St.Louis.

I am starting to really like that we took Desharnais from them already too!

Don’t think the Oilers can afford to part with Ceci. He was a big part of their run.

They don’t have any reliable D men other than Ekholm if they trade him. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Don’t think the Oilers can afford to part with Ceci. He was a big part of their run.

They don’t have any reliable D men other than Ekholm if they trade him. 

I really hope they keep Ceci and Nurse.... they provide some great scoring chances for us, especially Miller and Boeser

1 minute ago, EastCoastExpress said:

I really hope they keep Ceci and Nurse.... they provide some great scoring chances for us, especially Miller and Boeser

Nurse and Ceci together yes that is always fun.

Ceci away from Nurse was actually quite solid though.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Nurse and Ceci together yes that is always fun.

Ceci away from Nurse was actually quite solid though.

to me, Ceci seemed like he learned to skate backwards in Mexico on rollerblades.

I didnt understand why Oils never used Stecher. Stech is probably one of their most reliable stay at home d-men.