St. Louis Blues Offer Sheet Oilers Holloway and Broberg

Reports say Oils are trying to move Ceci and/or Kulak which makes sense. But even though Ceci is not a good d, he still logged in top 4 minutes for basically the whole season. Betting on Broberg to do that on his off side is a big risk and might actually hurt his development. Then they'll essentially have zero depth in RHD after Bouchard. I get why they want to match but not sure if they can make another deep playoff run with that defense.

Moving Kulak would make sense to create a spot on the third pair left side, but is moving Kulak's salary enough to keep Broberg?

9 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol banking on suspending him?? If they can suspend him they already suspend him. Unless it’s an nhl issued suspension it’s still counting on the cap.. they are not going to wait till he’s off ltir before suspending him to help the oilers out lol

It was mostly a joke but give this guy 3 months off and who knows what kind of trouble he will get in. 

• ThereItIs 1

For any team that is over the cap, there are risks for the Blues but a perfect time to grab any player you want when they are up against the cap and higher chance to getting that player you wanted in your system.   2-year contract effectively ruined their next off-season plan for a free agent should they match and they needed or need to sign Drasi to a new contract and might be a million dollar short of his new demand.  They need to be able to clear the space to meet his demand.  Tough decision to make.  Holloway was effective against the Canucks with his speed.  I can see why the Blues wanted him.   The Oilers are screwed in term of depth role player on forward and defence.  

30 minutes ago, Wing said:

Reports say Oils are trying to move Ceci and/or Kulak which makes sense. But even though Ceci is not a good d, he still logged in top 4 minutes for basically the whole season. Betting on Broberg to do that on his off side is a big risk and might actually hurt his development. Then they'll essentially have zero depth in RHD after Bouchard. I get why they want to match but not sure if they can make another deep playoff run with that defense.

Moving Kulak would make sense to create a spot on the third pair left side, but is moving Kulak's salary enough to keep Broberg?

If I were a GM of other team, I would not be helping the Oilers in any way and shape with this type of players to be able to find a way to keep their RFA by matching their offers.   They should not have made all of their recent free agent signing to improve their forward depth.  

16 minutes ago, coolboarder said:

If I were a GM of other team, I would not be helping the Oilers in any way and shape with this type of players to be able to find a way to keep their RFA by matching their offers.   They should not have made all of their recent free agent signing to improve their forward depth.  

Depends on how hard you can squeeze EDM. 

11 hours ago, Michael Scott said:

Or something like:

Vancouver trades:

Tucker Poolman

Edmonton trades:

Kulak

Savoie

I'd much rather try to get savoie than a late first round pick. This is what the Canucks should do. We don't need to move poolman. Oilers need space or they can let 2 top 15 draft picks ( that they developed) for a measly 2nd and 3rd. 

If this deal happens, it probably won’t be for Kulak+. Ultimately neither side would be happy with helping the other team out so 1 for 1 is the most likely option - my problem for your problem

6 minutes ago, Honkin Hronek said:

If this deal happens, it probably won’t be for Kulak+. Ultimately neither side would be happy with helping the other team out so 1 for 1 is the most likely option - my problem for your problem

I personally don't see the "problems" as being equal, especially with the Canucks being under the cap without putting Poolman on LTIR to start the season with while Edmonton sat on their own balls hoping no one would notice. Poolman for Kulak is at the very least 1 for 1 with no pound of flesh extracted with Edmonton the desperate one here. 

I would consider something like 

Poolman goes to Edmonton with Hoglander thrown in

McDavid goes to Vancouver

image.gif.b798bb102595d4dccaf71f3c56dcda88.gif

Edited by Rocket-68

1 hour ago, Wing said:

Nope.  It'll take more than just Kulak or Ceci to keep Broberg.  The likelihood is they will need to walk from Broberg unless they find a way to move Kane.  Or what they COULD do is bank on Kane going on LTIR and move one of Kulak or Ceci to buy them some time to move Kane.  As others have alluded to... that's a dangerous game.  Although they do have options if Kane stands firm on his NMC... Arvidsson, Henrique, or Skinner could be moved if push comes to shove.

image.thumb.png.406cd29afec8d2547200a07715f134f1.png

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Nope.  It'll take more than just Kulak or Ceci to keep Broberg.  The likelihood is they will need to walk from Broberg unless they find a way to move Kane.  Or what they COULD do is bank on Kane going on LTIR and move one of Kulak or Ceci to buy them some time to move Kane.  As others have alluded to... that's a dangerous game.  Although they do have options if Kane stands firm on his NMC... Arvidsson, Henrique, or Skinner could be moved if push comes to shove.

I would most heartily agree with this. I can't help but think that Edmonton going this way basically alerts everyone in the league that no lube will be needed to pry prime assets away from Edmonton to move Kane because they absolutely would HAVE to - setting aside the unlikely event that Kane misses 82 games but comes back game 1 round 1 should Edmonton make the playoffs. Even trying to move assets other than Kane would still require sweeteners off of the roster. 

Edmonton really stepped on a landmine on this one and I for one love it. Any GM doing a "favor" for Stan Bowman should be fired for corporate malpractice. The NHL is a business and the billionaire owners are all looking to maximize a return on their investment so I would hope Allvin would be the one to fleece Edmonton if anyone does.

Love it (x2) 

Edited by Rocket-68
  • Cheers 1

49 minutes ago, HKSR said:

image.thumb.png.406cd29afec8d2547200a07715f134f1.png

Is Broberg really worth this kind of effort though?

I get that he’s young and he was drafted high but they’d have to dump a good amount of depth to keep him.

What if his playoffs was just an anomaly and he can’t handle the duties of a top 4?

No easy answer for the Oilers.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I get that he’s young and he was drafted high but they’d have to dump a good amount of depth to keep him.

What if his playoffs was just an anomaly and he can’t handle the duties of a top 4?

honestly if they take pride out of it there kind of is. Let Broberg go, use the pick and cap space to help pick up a better d man (better today) at the TDL. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

honestly if they take pride out of it there kind of is. Let Broberg go, use the pick and cap space to help pick up a better d man (better today) at the TDL. 

They still over the cap tho and correct me if I’m wrong they are already without their 2025 first and 2nd, all they really got for trade capital is savoie which would be the equivalence of a late first round pick, I just don’t see how the oilers have the assets to not only shed bad cap but bring in impact players, going after skinner and Arvidsson was some very poor moves by their management team… yes same one that was being praised up till about 4 days ago 🤣

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

44 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Ekholm is 34 and they have nobody else coming up. They can’t lose him. 

25 minutes ago, Captain insano said:

They still over the cap tho and correct me if I’m wrong they are already without their 2025 first and 2nd, all they really got for trade capital is savoie which would be the equivalence of a late first round pick, I just don’t see how the oilers have the assets to not only shed bad cap but bring in impact players, going after skinner and Arvidsson was some very poor moves by their management team… yes same one that was being praised up till about 4 days ago 🤣

I think you could pick up a decent left side d in the tier of Cole eg with a 2nd at the tdl. 

33 minutes ago, Honkin Hronek said:

Ekholm is 34 and they have nobody else coming up. They can’t lose him. 

Their window is the next two seasons though.

They gotta be thinking very short term and maximizing their depth. Paying 4.5 mil to a guy they probably expected to sign for 1.5 mil probably isn’t the best way to do that.

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Their window is the next two seasons though.

They gotta be thinking very short term and maximizing their depth. Paying 4.5 mil to a guy they probably expected to sign for 1.5 mil probably isn’t the best way to do that.

They were thinking so short term that they mistakenly chose to sign offensive vets first, leaving themselves exposed to losing their own cost effective, young up and coming players... for pennies on a dollar. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Hogs and Podz said:

They were thinking so short term that they mistakenly chose to sign offensive vets first, leaving themselves exposed to losing their own cost effective, young up and coming players... for pennies on a dollar. 

Pretty much.

Who even signed those deals? Jackson?

Maybe let your new GM take care of the cap?

6 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I think they should re-sign Draisaitl first for 14M. That should be their number 1 priority.  IMHO

Do it for the children. 

Are.. are we the children?

• Haha 2