St. Louis Blues Offer Sheet Oilers Holloway and Broberg

12 hours ago, Hogs and Podz said:

They were thinking so short term that they mistakenly chose to sign offensive vets first, leaving themselves exposed to losing their own cost effective, young up and coming players... for pennies on a dollar. 

They live day to day. Hmm where have I heard that before lol

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

4 hours ago, DeNiro said:

But keeping Broberg would cost them Kulak and Ceci which would hurt them even more.

Broberg is far from proven and I imagine they wanna keep the roster that made it to the finals mostly in tact.

They already lost Mcleod and Foegele so if they're unable to keep Holloway that'll hurt them even more. 

• Cheers 2

6 hours ago, Rocket-68 said:

I really hope for $33M-ish for Dry-my-bitchpad and McJesus combined  .... with these 2 (Hall &Bro) leaving I would hazard a guess the Coilers will start to delve into the "SHOW ME THE JERRY MAGUIRE MONEY" coming in if they want to retain these 2 (Bitch & Dry) ... who will demand trades later to contenders once they have their bag.

Jim "I have never seen an UFA I didn't like" Benning appeared to have had to overpay to attract talent to come here in our doldrums." Hope it happens to the Coilers.

GO MY BELOVED CANUCKS GO!

I’ll have what you’re having 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Rocket-68 said:

I really hope for $33M-ish for Dry-my-bitchpad and McJesus combined  .... with these 2 (Hall &Bro) leaving I would hazard a guess the Coilers will start to delve into the "SHOW ME THE JERRY MAGUIRE MONEY" coming in if they want to retain these 2 (Bitch & Dry) ... who will demand trades later to contenders once they have their bag.

Jim "I have never seen an UFA I didn't like" Benning appeared to have had to overpay to attract talent to come here in our doldrums." Hope it happens to the Coilers.

GO MY BELOVED CANUCKS GO!

This post is put gold. 
4D31A02F-A294-409F-BE37-B150D2A01073.gif.a4f0463b1e46add278070203a6e0ef56.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Pears said:

They already lost Mcleod and Foegele so if they're unable to keep Holloway that'll hurt them even more. 

They also didn't have an NHL quality blueline.  Broberg was the only guy in their system that had the chance to turn into a legit NHLer other than Ekholm.  They're going to get absolutely ventilated playing multiple ECHL quality D.

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

16 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

This is the elephant in the room. 

I never understood the praise for Jeff Jacksons moves earlier (adding Skinner and Arvidson) while ignoring the real issues.  Adding Skinner ($3M aav) and Arvidson ($4M aav) are fine up front.  Scoring depth was a need but it was secondary.  The D is what they really needed to improve this offseason which didn't happen and now this..... 

Broberg looked like a future top 4 D in the playoffs but they can't afford to pay him $4.5M.  Broberg, according to Friedman, wanted $1.8M which the Oilers were unwilling to pay.  Add to that the loss of Desharnais and their big weakness is weaker.  The good news for the Oil is that they have a couple of months left to cobble something together but since they have no cap room to play with I wish the new GM luck 😁.

Oilers fans, and I presume management seem to think they're a lock to come out of the west again.  I find this delusional.  Meanwhile, their competition (the Canucks) are deeper.  They're in tough in their own division.

Well said. I’ve been on this tangent from day one of free agency. The Oil have been crowned already by many in the media, including many in our city, and I’ve never understood it. Not that these takes will have any influence on what happens on the ice come October.

And now there seems to be the sentiment on these forms that this heated division rival, an organization that isn’t completely delusional despite some of the moves they’ve made this summer, are now going to package up serviceable defenceman and a high draft pick and send them our way when numerous other teams outside of their own division that they could deal with. Call me highly dubious.

37 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

This is the elephant in the room. 

I never understood the praise for Jeff Jacksons moves earlier (adding Skinner and Arvidson) while ignoring the real issues.  Adding Skinner ($3M aav) and Arvidson ($4M aav) are fine up front.  Scoring depth was a need but it was secondary.  The D is what they really needed to improve this offseason which didn't happen and now this..... 

Broberg looked like a future top 4 D in the playoffs but they can't afford to pay him $4.5M.  Broberg, according to Friedman, wanted $1.8M which the Oilers were unwilling to pay.  Add to that the loss of Desharnais and their big weakness is weaker.  The good news for the Oil is that they have a couple of months left to cobble something together but since they have no cap room to play with I wish the new GM luck 😁.

Oilers fans, and I presume management seem to think they're a lock to come out of the west again.  I find this delusional.  Meanwhile, their competition (the Canucks) are deeper.  They're in tough in their own division.

Good take, to add to your point of “failed offseason” in my eyes oilers PK was their biggest weapon in the playoffs they could play on the edge and be fine with penalty’s now they removed close to half of their elite PK (foegel, Mcloud, desharnais) and removed half of their team toughness to add two one dimensional soft wingers to their top 6, don’t think people understand Jeff skinner is a power play guy oilers power play is already set regardless of the 5th player added (mcdavid, drai, Hyman, Bouchard) is skinner going to get lots of points? The answer is yes! Is nuge going to have a major impact on his points losing the power play time the answer is yes, if this was us in Edmontons position I would want to keep the kids rather than putting all my eggs in one basket this season

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

According to Elliotte Friedman, Edmonton will match the offer sheet to Dylan Holloway but will not match the offer sheet to Philip Broberg. 

Makes the most sense.

Probably see a Kulak or Ceci trade shortly.

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

According to Elliotte Friedman, Edmonton will match the offer sheet to Dylan Holloway but will not match the offer sheet to Philip Broberg. 

Makes sense, Broberg was rumoured to have wanted out last Novemberish if I remember correctly, upside or not it's easier to just move on given what it'd cost to keep him.

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Didn't he say Edmonton is trying to trade both Ceci and Kulak? That makes no sense if they are letting Broberg walk. 

7 minutes ago, Provost said:

Leaving St. Louis to stew is probably the plan.

Stlouis stewing about a mid 3rd round pick going the other way? I don’t think they are capable of making the money work as of yet, they are desperate to find a suiter to take kulak or ceci which makes 0 sense to me, why would someone who already has a questionable back end trade another d away in their final year of their window to keep a winger with a ceiling of middle 6?? Back end will look like 

ekholm Bouchard 

nurse Stetcher 

brown ceci/kulak 

And they will still be up against the cap with no trade capital heading into the season 

58 minutes ago, Grandmaster said:

How much longer does Edmonton have to match this? Weird how they are so slow to figure this out.

Nah it’s not weird, it’s as much of an FU to St. Louis as they can give - St. Louis doesn’t know what’s going to happen until they match or walk away, so they'll respond at the 11th hour.

20 minutes ago, Captain insano said:

Stlouis stewing about a mid 3rd round pick going the other way? I don’t think they are capable of making the money work as of yet, they are desperate to find a suiter to take kulak or ceci which makes 0 sense to me, why would someone who already has a questionable back end trade another d away in their final year of their window to keep a winger with a ceiling of middle 6?? Back end will look like 

ekholm Bouchard 

nurse Stetcher 

brown ceci/kulak 

And they will still be up against the cap with no trade capital heading into the season 

They can't make any other moves on their roster until they know the outcome.

27 minutes ago, Honkin Hronek said:

Nah it’s not weird, it’s as much of an FU to St. Louis as they can give - St. Louis doesn’t know what’s going to happen until they match or walk away, so they'll respond at the 11th hour.

I'm sure stl has planned for this to take the max time.

I'm happy for broberg if the Friedman thing is true. 

21 minutes ago, Provost said:

They can't make any other moves on their roster until they know the outcome.

Theres zero moves St Louis would be making right now, doubt they’re worried.

They’re probably fairly confident they’re gonna get at least Broberg at this point.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1