St. Louis Blues Offer Sheet Oilers Holloway and Broberg

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Theres zero moves St Louis would be making right now, doubt they’re worried.

They’re probably fairly confident they’re gonna get at least Broberg at this point.

Wait… so all rosters are set and there aren’t any players or trades available?

Wierd, I missed that article.

It seems so odd that a team willing to put out two offer sheets in an effort to improve their roster has no interest or ability to consider or make any other moves.

1 minute ago, Provost said:

It seems so odd that a team willing to put out two offer sheets in an effort to improve their roster has no interest or ability to consider or make any other moves.

Do you see any other trades happening right now?

Theres your answer. 😉

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

So here's the thing, they can put Kane on LTIR and sign Holloway without trading anybody. 

They would the have 13 forwards (Hamblin being the 13th)

They could even have Troy Stecher come up as the 7th D and still have just over 1.5m in LTIR relief. 

Now here's the problem. 

Once this happens, they need to find a way to clear cap once Kane returns. 

In fact they are 341k over right now so they would need to clear like 5.5m mid season when he returns lol. 

Funny thing is, they are so top heavy, to clear 5.5m means they either need to get rid of Hyman Nugent Hopkins or even Kane himself plus another fringe player OR, they need to get rid of like 4 roster players making under 1.2m

No GM should bail them out. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, DeNiro said:

But keeping Broberg would cost them Kulak and Ceci which would hurt them even more.

Broberg is far from proven and I imagine they wanna keep the roster that made it to the finals mostly in tact.

Keep broberg and Holloway both and try to move out a few contracts to balance their back end out to fit their fire offence is the only sensible option at this point should have never got to this but apparently skinner and Arvidsson are bringing them to the promise land 🤣

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Provost said:

A team being bullish about acquiring prospects for pennys on the dollar isint the same as a team trying to better their roster for this season, also Stlouis can make other moves if they present themselves just not aloud to trade the 2nd or 3rd and must stay cap compliant meaning no more than 10% over the cap currently holding over 7.3 million in space under the cap…. That is my understanding you must have more info the rest of us havnt heard yet? Care to share? 

• Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

So here's the thing, they can put Kane on LTIR and sign Holloway without trading anybody. 

They would the have 13 forwards (Hamblin being the 13th)

They could even have Troy Stecher come up as the 7th D and still have just over 1.5m in LTIR relief. 

Now here's the problem. 

Once this happens, they need to find a way to clear cap once Kane returns. 

In fact they are 341k over right now so they would need to clear like 5.5m mid season when he returns lol. 

Funny thing is, they are so top heavy, to clear 5.5m means they either need to get rid of Hyman Nugent Hopkins or even Kane himself plus another fringe player OR, they need to get rid of like 4 roster players making under 1.2m

No GM should bail them out. 

I believe Kane would have to have his surgery for the team to be able to place him on LTIR? And a hernia surgery recovery time is 6-12 weeks suggesting he will be ready to lace them up mid November at the latest, doesn’t sound like Kane is willing to lift his NMC anyhow so would have to be a different route 

5 minutes ago, Captain insano said:

I believe Kane would have to have his surgery for the team to be able to place him on LTIR? And a hernia surgery recovery time is 6-12 weeks suggesting he will be ready to lace them up mid November at the latest, doesn’t sound like Kane is willing to lift his NMC anyhow so would have to be a different route 

and it does not solve the cap issue for long. Unless they are ordering more injuries at training camp. I think they make a move now or give up both players. Since they have to clear more when Kane gets back, it makes sense for them to do something big now 🙂

1 minute ago, Gurn said:

Can Edmonton buy out any players, to make room?

I miss Cap

friendly

Geek

Nurse is the best buyout for them but will hurt them more than OEL hurt US!

https://puckpedia.com/player/darnell-nurse/buyout?s=2024-2025

11 minutes ago, EastCoastExpress said:

Ive always been a bit confused on the whole buyout process, isint their a buyout window before free agency? I think it allows players to make a new deal before teams are all cap strapped but i could be wrong about this. Could someone here possibly be able to explain the buyout rules? 

that being said, even with the buyout you would have to use that money to fill the hole left by nurse, not that he’s good but he’s still a middle pair dman which usually cost around the 4-5 million range 

5 minutes ago, Captain insano said:

Ive always been a bit confused on the whole buyout process, isint their a buyout window before free agency? I think it allows players to make a new deal before teams are all cap strapped but i could be wrong about this. Could someone here possibly be able to explain the buyout rules? 

that being said, even with the buyout you would have to use that money to fill the hole left by nurse, not that he’s good but he’s still a middle pair dman which usually cost around the 4-5 million range 

Correct, the buyout window is june 15 or end of playoffs, until June 30. But just speculating if they can even do that next year, Nurse is the best bang but also even more years cap hit than OEL is. at peak, the cap hit for nurse is over 5.5 for 3 years right when they have to pay McDavid!

Not really an option, but hey, we did OEL so you never know!

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

29 minutes ago, Gurn said:

I miss Cap

friendly

Geek

No, the window has passed. Opens 48 hours after the finals for 2 weeks. 2nd window opens if they have an RFA who's been awarded a contract via arbitration, but only those making $4m+/year are eligible.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Captain insano said:

A team being bullish about acquiring prospects for pennys on the dollar isint the same as a team trying to better their roster for this season, also Stlouis can make other moves if they present themselves just not aloud to trade the 2nd or 3rd and must stay cap compliant meaning no more than 10% over the cap currently holding over 7.3 million in space under the cap…. That is my understanding you must have more info the rest of us havnt heard yet? Care to share? 

The statement was that St. Louis is definitively not making or contemplating other moves.  I was just responding that there is no actual basis for that assertion.  The burden of proof would be on proving that they aren’t… not that it is possible that they could be.

4 hours ago, Gurn said:

I miss Cap

friendly

Geek

Yes I really miss Cap Friendly. 

Here is a good tool to work out player buyouts.

https://puckpedia.com/buyout-calculator

I wonder if it a " coincidence " that Darnell Nurse heads the list at the bottom of the page of people researching player buyouts.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

17 hours ago, EastCoastExpress said:

and it does not solve the cap issue for long. Unless they are ordering more injuries at training camp. I think they make a move now or give up both players. Since they have to clear more when Kane gets back, it makes sense for them to do something big now 🙂

Nurse has a buyout proof contract mostly because the last 4 years have huge signing bonuses ($6M) so, while years 1 & 2 look decent, years 3, 4, 5, & 6 will have a $9.5M cap hit regardless.  Also, he has 6 years remaining on his contract so the buyout period is extended to 12 years.

• ThereItIs 1
  • chaos 3

1 hour ago, Crabcakes said:

Nurse has a buyout proof contract mostly because the last 4 years have huge signing bonuses ($6M) so, while years 1 & 2 look decent, years 3, 4, 5, & 6 will have a $9.5M cap hit regardless.  Also, he has 6 years remaining on his contract so the buyout period is extended to 12 years.

Ahhhh Holland, the gift that keeps on giving. Coilers did reach the WCF twice and SCF once, so can't completely shit all over him but looking at the mess the Coilers are in right this very second ...

gif-borat.gif   jTAaL6wB8jtt.gif

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

14 hours ago, Ilunga said:

Yes I really miss Cap Friendly. 

Here is a good tool to work out player buyouts.

https://puckpedia.com/buyout-calculator

I wonder if it a " coincidence " that Darnell Nurse heads the list at the bottom of the page of people researching player buyouts.

What is even more enticing than this, is seeing so high on that list too, Jesperi Kotkaniemi.

If Hurricanes want to get rid of that 8 year contract for a 24 yr old center, maybe they would do a trade with retention instead: its under $5mil, so if they retained %50 over the remaining 6 years its still cheaper than a buyout!

• Cheers 1

I think EDM are in trouble on this one. They might have to take their lumps and lose both players.

Their focus should be icing a contending roster, not depleting it to keep 2 young players who really aren't contributing much yet.

It has been bad mgmt to reach this point. If it was me I would take the compensation and use it to improve the roster that is left.

I would target trading Ceci and look to replace him with a capable vet RHD with a low salary cap.

Something like this...

To EDM: Trevor van Riemsdyk (50% retained by CHI so $1.5m cap hit to EDM)

To WAS: 2025 3rd round pick (from Holloway offer sheet)

To CHI: Ceci + 2025 2nd round pick (from Broberg offer sheet)

WAS needs to clear some cap space. If he stayed in WAS, TVR is likely bumped down to 3rd pair due to the addition of Matt Roy. WAS also has Ethan Bear to step up to 3rd pairing RD for a lower cap hit. CHI takes on Ceci because they are short on RD and want to ice a competitive roster. They get the bonus of a 2nd round pick for retaining salary on TVR.

Losing Broberg and Holloway and making the above trade would put EDM's cap space at $1.39m with a 21-man roster.

That should be enough to sign a UFA such as Kubalik, who is 28, has not yet signed anywhere yet, and scored 11 goals last season (compared to Holloway who scored just 6 goals). Offer him 1 x $1.35m.

22-man roster with $40k of cap space becomes:

RNH McDavid Hyman

Skinner Draisaitl Arvidsson

Kubalik Henrique Kane*

Janmark Ryan Perry

(Brown)

Ekholm Bouchard

Kulak TVR

Nurse Stecher

(Brown)

Skinner

(Pickard)

*with E Kane expected to be on LTIR to start the season, should be able to afford a couple of fill-in guys at 13th forward and 8th D, who can both be waived when Kane returns.

• ThereItIs 1

11 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

I think EDM are in trouble on this one. They might have to take their lumps and lose both players.

Their focus should be icing a contending roster, not depleting it to keep 2 young players who really aren't contributing much yet.

It has been bad mgmt to reach this point. If it was me I would take the compensation and use it to improve the roster that is left.

I would target trading Ceci and look to replace him with a capable vet RHD with a low salary cap.

Something like this...

To EDM: Trevor van Riemsdyk (50% retained by CHI so $1.5m cap hit to EDM)

To WAS: 2025 3rd round pick (from Holloway offer sheet)

To CHI: Ceci + 2025 2nd round pick (from Broberg offer sheet)

WAS needs to clear some cap space. If he stayed in WAS, TVR is likely bumped down to 3rd pair due to the addition of Matt Roy. WAS also has Ethan Bear to step up to 3rd pairing RD for a lower cap hit. CHI takes on Ceci because they are short on RD and want to ice a competitive roster. They get the bonus of a 2nd round pick for retaining salary on TVR.

Losing Broberg and Holloway and making the above trade would put EDM's cap space at $1.39m with a 21-man roster.

That should be enough to sign a UFA such as Kubalik, who is 28, has not yet signed anywhere yet, and scored 11 goals last season (compared to Holloway who scored just 6 goals). Offer him 1 x $1.35m.

22-man roster with $40k of cap space becomes:

RNH McDavid Hyman

Skinner Draisaitl Arvidsson

Kubalik Henrique Kane*

Janmark Ryan Perry

(Brown)

Ekholm Bouchard

Kulak TVR

Nurse Stecher

(Brown)

Skinner

(Pickard)

*with E Kane expected to be on LTIR to start the season, should be able to afford a couple of fill-in guys at 13th forward and 8th D, who can both be waived when Kane returns.

So pretty much saying trade ceci broberg and Holloway for a 3rd pair guy that has taken some major steps back recently and kubalik another defensive liability to add to their skinner and Arvidsson signings that were already defensive step backs from foegel and mcloud…. Edm is going to have to get super creative on adding in one of their top 6 contracts (not named Kane with a NMC apparently hes not willing to waive) in a block buster trade, upgrade D down grade forward. Maybe a nurse jones swap in Chicago with other moving parts might be the move they need to make ?? 

Seth jones 9.5

Dickinson 4.25

darnell nurse 9.25

RNH 5.125

it makes the oilers cap compliant and they already replaced RNH on power play one with skinner 

2 hours ago, Captain insano said:

So pretty much saying trade ceci broberg and Holloway for a 3rd pair guy that has taken some major steps back recently

No they're not trading Broberg and Holloway. Those guys were lost to them when they fucked up getting them signed. Reality is that EDM cannot really afford to pay those two players what STL is offering.

2 hours ago, Captain insano said:

Edm is going to have to get super creative on adding in one of their top 6 contracts (not named Kane with a NMC apparently hes not willing to waive)

McD, Drai, Hyman, RNH, Skinner, Nurse and Kane all have NMC. Can't see anyone waiving. 

46 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

No they're not trading Broberg and Holloway. Those guys were lost to them when they fucked up getting them signed. Reality is that EDM cannot really afford to pay those two players what STL is offering.

McD, Drai, Hyman, RNH, Skinner, Nurse and Kane all have NMC. Can't see anyone waiving. 

old-man.gif.cdb795111c8ac2b933ed4e9123cfa77d.gif

• Haha 1