St. Louis Blues Offer Sheet Oilers Holloway and Broberg

Is there a chance that the coilers traded Ceci and will not match Broberg / Holloway contracts because they are going to have to come up with a lot of cap to sign Drai, Bouchard next year while still having some cap flexibility? This is a team that might have 50 million tied up in 4 players soon.

• Haha 2
  • ThereItIs 1

7 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

Yes he can be put onto LTIR in the off season. Just need a note from a doctor stating that he is injured and will miss at least 24 days and 10 games when the season begins.

The bigger issue is what happens when E Kane returns to the roster. He has a NMC and can't see him waiving for it.

I guess I was wrong? I miss CapFreindly.

Puck Pedia says you can.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Provost said:

… or, you know, the exact opposite of that.

965C5F7F-3C7E-475C-BA5D-D56C903957FF.png

Thank you, will take that as definitive. What is interesting then is that:

1) Coilers are about $5.93M over the cap right now;

2) Have about $2.87M of "cap space" left before they hit the 10% overage allowance before needing to be compliant for the start of the season;

3) Putting Kane on LTIR now would get them short of full utilization of the $2.87M (I would assume); AND

4) Retaining both Holloway and Bro-Job will put them in a real pickle to start the season as they put themselves in the "Backstrom" scenario 

Will be interesting to see where the chips fall once the season is upon us.

EDIT: Oh ya 5) Dry-my-Saddle will have his hand out for his bag followed by McWhiner

Edited by Rocket-68
  • ThereItIs 1

If they match both these players I can imagine the conversation requesting Leon and Connor taking discounts will be a little awkward. If the leaders of the team take a discount everyone else should follow behind them or play somewhere else. The rest of the bottom 6 all took discounts. 

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Happy to report confirmation of same, just looked on the Coiler website for their team roster.

Well done St Louis! ... Fingers 🤞 

Edited by Rocket-68
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1

In the event they do decide to match:

Oilers Pathway Toward Cap Compliancy

August 19th, 2024 at 6:00pm CST • By Brennan McClain

If their cap struggles weren’t already bad enough this summer, the Edmonton Oilers were struck a significant blow last week when the St. Louis Blues signed defenseman Philip Brobergto a two-year, $9.16MM offer sheet and forward Dylan Holloway to a two-year, $4.58MM offer sheet. Oilers’ general manager Stan Bowmanhas until tomorrow to match both or either respective offer but could allow both to walk and receive draft compensation in return.

PuckPedia gave a solid breakdown of how Edmonton could find its way back to salary cap compliance after the separate trades that brought Vasily Podkolzin to Alberta and sent Cody Ceci to the San Jose Sharks. The salary cap website asserts that if the Oilers place Evander Kane on long-term injured reserve to start the year, send down Troy Stecher and Derek Ryan, and call up prospect Matt Savoie to the NHL, they will be compliant to start the 2024-25 NHL season if they choose to match both offer sheets.

All things considered — this is a decent scenario for Edmonton. Savoie gives the team a low-cost option to plug into the top six and allows the team some flexibility with newcomers Jeff Skinner and Viktor Arvidsson on the wing. By moving either Skinner or Arvidsson down to the third line, Holloway could play the wing on the team’s fourth line while moving Mattias Janmark to fourth-line center in this scenario.

The team would still have seven available defensemen to choose from to start the year and Stecher likely would have been light on playing time regardless. Josh Brown and Ty Emberson could split time based on matchups leaving Edmonton’s only glaring hole at the fourth-line center position.

Edmonton is not necessarily out of the woods just yet as it’s uncertain when Kane will ultimately return from his offseason surgery. It’s expected he will be placed on LTIR to begin the season which will keep him out of the lineup for the first 10 games and 24 days of the 2024-25 NHL season. Once the season begins, however, the Oilers will again be in a situation where tough decisions must be made. The Oilers could still allow both players to walk giving them just over $6MM to start the year after placing Kane on LTIR.

It will be interesting to see how aggressive GM Bowman is in bringing back two pieces that haven’t had much opportunity with the organization up to this point. All in all, even with clearing Ceci’s salary and having a clear pathway toward cap compliance to start the year —  it will take some time for Edmonton to exit this precarious scenario.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2024/08/oilers-pathway-toward-cap-compliancy.html#ref=home

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, RWJC said:

In the event they do decide to match:

Oilers Pathway Toward Cap Compliancy

August 19th, 2024 at 6:00pm CST • By Brennan McClain

If their cap struggles weren’t already bad enough this summer, the Edmonton Oilers were struck a significant blow last week when the St. Louis Blues signed defenseman Philip Brobergto a two-year, $9.16MM offer sheet and forward Dylan Holloway to a two-year, $4.58MM offer sheet. Oilers’ general manager Stan Bowmanhas until tomorrow to match both or either respective offer but could allow both to walk and receive draft compensation in return.

PuckPedia gave a solid breakdown of how Edmonton could find its way back to salary cap compliance after the separate trades that brought Vasily Podkolzin to Alberta and sent Cody Ceci to the San Jose Sharks. The salary cap website asserts that if the Oilers place Evander Kane on long-term injured reserve to start the year, send down Troy Stecher and Derek Ryan, and call up prospect Matt Savoie to the NHL, they will be compliant to start the 2024-25 NHL season if they choose to match both offer sheets.

All things considered — this is a decent scenario for Edmonton. Savoie gives the team a low-cost option to plug into the top six and allows the team some flexibility with newcomers Jeff Skinner and Viktor Arvidsson on the wing. By moving either Skinner or Arvidsson down to the third line, Holloway could play the wing on the team’s fourth line while moving Mattias Janmark to fourth-line center in this scenario.

The team would still have seven available defensemen to choose from to start the year and Stecher likely would have been light on playing time regardless. Josh Brown and Ty Emberson could split time based on matchups leaving Edmonton’s only glaring hole at the fourth-line center position.

Edmonton is not necessarily out of the woods just yet as it’s uncertain when Kane will ultimately return from his offseason surgery. It’s expected he will be placed on LTIR to begin the season which will keep him out of the lineup for the first 10 games and 24 days of the 2024-25 NHL season. Once the season begins, however, the Oilers will again be in a situation where tough decisions must be made. The Oilers could still allow both players to walk giving them just over $6MM to start the year after placing Kane on LTIR.

It will be interesting to see how aggressive GM Bowman is in bringing back two pieces that haven’t had much opportunity with the organization up to this point. All in all, even with clearing Ceci’s salary and having a clear pathway toward cap compliance to start the year —  it will take some time for Edmonton to exit this precarious scenario.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2024/08/oilers-pathway-toward-cap-compliancy.html#ref=home

I keep seeing this scenario of putting Kane on LTIR to be cap compliant.

Okay and then what? Just hope a trade magically presents itself right when you need it? That’s a horrible strategy.

My guess is they leave that space open for a Kane return and try and move him at some point. Then fill the holes they have with that cap space. Better strategy than overpaying Broberg by 3 mil.

17 minutes ago, gwarrior said:

Oh fuck!! No way!!!! Fingers crossed this is the case🤞

It’s true. Podkolkin replaces Holloway. Emberson replaces Ceci. This puts them under the cap. Kane can now go on LTIR just before the season begins. They will be cap compliant through the summer. Kane only has a hernia and will be back in 3 months. There is no way he will stay on LTIR for longer and he has a NMC so they can’t trade him. 

Most importantly, Edmonton needs the cap space for next year to re-sign Draisaitl and Bouchard. No way that can happen if they overpay Broberg and Holloway. How do you get Draisaitl, Bouchard and McDavid to take discounts if Broberg is making almost $5 million?

Edmonton is basically fooked. And I love every second of it!!   😊

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Upvote 1

Will be interesting.  I didn’t think they’d match and that seems to be the way the wind is blowing at the moment.

As I said before, either way losing the players or having to pay those contracts is already a huge L for the Oilers. 

Further, losing Desharnais, Ceci and Broberg is a lot of muscle and depth off their back end.  Skinner and Arvidsson add some pop up front but really looking like they aren’t as good defensively as they (surprisingly) were last year.

Oils won't match either offer sheet after all. I wonder what was the rush to make those moves before today making it seem like they would. 

We didn't talk enough about the second year of the offer sheets. Oils can't simply just look to be cap compliant this coming season only when they will have huge raises for both Draisaitl and Bouchard.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Wing said:

Oils won't match either offer sheet after all. I wonder what was the rush to make those moves before today making it seem like they would. 

We didn't talk enough about the second year of the offer sheets. Oils can't simply just look to be cap compliant this coming season only when they will have huge raises for both Draisaitl and Bouchard.

That was the very first thing I said when I saw the two year deals.

It was meant to completely screw them on the Draisaitl front.

I am not sure whether it would have been better for us (worse for Edmonton) to match of not match.  The important thing is that it is a loss for them no matter what.  They are a weaker team with a poorer outlook for the future.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 2

3 minutes ago, Provost said:

I am not sure whether it would have been better for us (worse for Edmonton) to match of not match.  The important thing is that it is a loss for them no matter what.  They are a weaker team with a poorer outlook for the future.

That d group is so thin, and they still don't have space to add anyone good.

1 minute ago, Provost said:

Yea. And Ceci's trade is even more puzzling now especially the timing of it. He's not very good but still played top 4 min on the right side. Their defense right now look pretty bad. 

Maybe Oils is looking to use those draft picks they got to make another move, but really which top 4 RHD is available on the market now that can be traded for with just 2nd and 3rd round picks? They also have to move Kane to LTIR to make that fit unless he's part of the trade. 

Oils fan base probably on meltdown now lol