St. Louis Blues Offer Sheet Oilers Holloway and Broberg

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

It somehow makes the whole thing funnier.

No way around it, EDM screwed themselves by signing Perry and Skinner instead of prioritizing younger depth.

Look at that d group now and imagine what happens if/when Ekholm gets an injury.

Ekholm is a stud.  The entire D core is laughable though.

I hope they lose but Stecher does well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Ekholm-Bouchard

Nurse-Brown

Kulak-Stecher

Honestly its not THAT much different than last year with a healthy Stecher.  PK likely won't be as elite though.  And they lose some serious size.

Ekholm-Bouchard

Nurse-Ceci

Kulak-Desharnais

I think you’re underrating Emberson here. He’s a sneaky good shutdown defensemen in the limited time we saw of him. He was playing some heavy minutes for SJ before injuries got to him, that ended his season. Plus, he’s reunited with Knoblauch, back when he coached him in Hartford. 

Edited by shiznak

1 hour ago, Nucker67 said:

Oilers (and specifically Draisaitl) got crushed physically against the Canucks in the playoffs. So what do they do?  Gave away a 6'7" Dman (to Vancouver) and a 6'1" winger who played well in their run and then brought in smaller players - Skinner and Arvidsson. 

Crush 'em again Canucks

Most of that came from zadorov sooooo…..

19 minutes ago, Grinch said:

Most of that came from zadorov sooooo…..

Nah Myers took out Draisaitl. He was never the same after.

Plus our forwards were all very physical. We only got more physical with our signings.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, shiznak said:

I think you’re underrating Emberson here. He’s a sneaky good shutdown defensemen in the limited time we saw of him. He was playing some heavy minutes for SJ before injuries got to him, that ended his season. Plus, he’s reunited with Knoblauch, back when he coached him in Hartford. 

Yeah he's hard to judge because of how bad SJ was.  Overall I don't think the Oilers D took as big of a step back as some people do.  I think the PK is where they took the biggest hit, and that's pretty significant given how it was one of their keys to making the finals last year.

57 minutes ago, shiznak said:

Out of curiosity, why would Sharks trade a good D man for Ceci?

32 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Nah Myers took out Draisaitl. He was never the same after.

Plus our forwards were all very physical. We only got more physical with our signings.

My only concern is that we went from a big hitter who laid heavy hits to a pack mentality of aggressive players that don't necessarily cause damage. 

Like I used to love Motte but his hits rarely caused damage. In fact his physical style was equally a detriment to him as well as to those he hit. 

I think our D was rather healthy this year (minus Soucy). And I think it's because of the size. Taking and absorbing hits didn't cause damage like previous years.

Good news is we replaced the size with Desharnais, Forbort so hopefully we stay rather injury free

19 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Because Ceci is more established, I’m guessing?

Even though Emberson looked good, he’s still a rookie who can’t stay healthy.

• Cheers 1

Oilers maintain cap space and get two mid round picks.

They are going to be dangerous players at the TDL this coming season. If the mandate is to win the next 2 seasons, they are going to use that draft capital and accrued cap space to ensure McDavid and Draisaitl have two deep cup runs.

Sucks in the long term, but this makes a load of sense for them to let Holloway and Broberg go. 

23 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Well in 30 games, he did fine on spot duty with 10 pts and a minus 4 on a horrible team. 

Our very own Kyle Burroughs was 73 games and minus 42. Ferraro was 78 games and a minus 38

Im curious to see how sheltered Emberton's minutes were... 

There's no denying Cece is the better player between the 2 so sharks made the trade. 

Edmonton did get worse by trading Cece for Emberton but the question is how much worse? They lowered their cap which was the goal. Now the question is whether Emberton can be a regular contributor on the bottom pairing. 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, shiznak said:

Because Ceci is more established, I’m guessing?

Even though Emberson looked good, he’s still a rookie who can’t stay healthy.

Ceci will probably get SJ another 3rd rounder at the deadline as an experienced RHD.

1 hour ago, shiznak said:

I don’t agree with that, I was picking on this kid last year watching sharks games with the boys, we were all laughing how he kept getting pigeon tossed from the big forward, him and that Addison kid both look horrendous 

16 minutes ago, canucks curse said:

Yeah but broberg could end up being a top RD in a few years 

think of us losing willander this way 

both drafted 11th OA

broberg vocally doesn't want to be an oiler anyway. 

Definitely not surprised the Oilers didn't match Broberg, $4.5M is a ton of money for a guy that hasn't cracked the NHL full-time yet (regardless of his potential). I am surprised they didn't match Holloway though. I thought Holloway looked great in the series against us; he's physical, a good skater, and clearly has more offensive potential. While $2.3M is a slight overpayment for Holloway at the moment, that's still a very manageable cap hit.