St. Louis Blues Offer Sheet Oilers Holloway and Broberg

Just now, CanucksJay said:

That would be the only way it doesn't hurt Edmonton. 

But then again, your robbing Peter to pay Paul as losing Kane would take the grit out of the top 6 and I would think more liberties would be taken on Mcdavid draisaitl nuge and Hyman without a guy who plays with his screw lose like Kane. 

Not like anybody on D can do much to fight back besides Nurse. 

They are alrwady soft but losing Kane would make them softer 

yep. Its fun from several angles.

5 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

it was fun to watch.

Was listening to 650 today, with one guy saying he doesn't think it hurt EDMs chances much, but I don't see how. Maybe they have some kind of deal in the works to move Kane, a ton of picks, for a defensive upgrade?

In the near future, maybe not, but losing a couple young high picks isn't a recipe for longevity 

The Ceci trade created cap space and they’ll spend that later in the season, Oil will try to gun for a cup before they have to pay Bouch, Draisaitl AND McDavid 

Their firepower will likely keep them in a playoff spot til then, but a 2nd and a couple 3rds is a lousy return

They’ll likely have to ride out Kane 

I'm not convinced they get back to a final sooner than later, getting there once during a player's career is more than most guys get

2 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Lol I think the forward lines are ok. 

Podz may impress with the right opportunity this year and may be the right catalyst for Perry and Henrique. 

That defense though... Woof

Looks pretty bad. 

Let's see if the oilers can outscore their troubles on D. 

We all know that's a great recipe for the playoffs. 

Their forward group should be alright, but it's very much leaning towards scoring

Their D doesn't look great but they'll try and upgrade that later probs

I don't think it'll matter though, I doubt they win a cup before all of Bouch, Draisaitl, and McDavid's next deals are on the books

Spending assets the way they have will catch up with them eventually 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

In the near future, maybe not, but losing a couple young high picks isn't a recipe for longevity 

The Ceci trade created cap space and they’ll spend that later in the season, Oil will try to gun for a cup before they have to pay Bouch, Draisaitl AND McDavid 

Their firepower will likely keep them in a playoff spot til then, but a 2nd and a couple 3rds is a lousy return

They’ll likely have to ride out Kane 

I'm not convinced they get back to a final sooner than later, getting there once during a player's career is more than most guys get

Their forward group should be alright, but it's very much leaning towards scoring

Their D doesn't look great but they'll try and upgrade that later probs

I don't think it'll matter though, I doubt they win a cup before all of Bouch, Draisaitl, and McDavid's next deals are on the books

Spending assets the way they have will catch up with them eventually 

if the league keeps giving them weak calls, which I expect Rogers will want,  they can probably score their way out of trouble for much of the regular season.

But it's such a thin depth chart now. Any significant injury to just one guy could send them into a spiral.

One of the things I love about our new F group is it should be very resilient. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

if the league keeps giving them weak calls, which I expect Rogers will want,  they can probably score their way out of trouble for much of the regular season.

But it's such a thin depth chart now. Any significant injury to just one guy could send them into a spiral.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Oil score more than us but I do think our forward group is more balanced. We've got some sandpaper, some higher end talent, some utility guys, guys who can provide depth scoring, and for the most part most of them can play capable defense (although I do think Sprong could look better if deployed and coached right). 

Our defense is a bit more questionable imo, but I think management did the best they could given the cap constraints. I'd have preferred another top four D and Myers bumped down to the third pairing but it's hard to have everything. 

I expect Edmonton will be a playoff team, maybe even the division leader when it's all said and done, but I don't expect them to repeat their march to the final. If we can bolster our D at some point I think we'd be a more well rounded playoff team than the Oil are today, but it's hard to say what their additions will look like down the road. They have their 2026 and 2027 1st's and 2nd's, they also have the Blues 2nd this year, I imagine they will all be in play the next couple seasons; that's their window before all of the Bouchard, Draisaitl, and McDavid extensions are on the books. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

I wouldn't be surprised if the Oil score more than us but I do think our forward group is more balanced. We've got some sandpaper, some higher end talent, some utility guys, guys who can provide depth scoring, and for the most part most of them can play capable defense (although I do think Sprong could look better if deployed and coached right). 

Our defense is a bit more questionable imo, but I think management did the best they could given the cap constraints. I'd have preferred another top four D and Myers bumped down to the third pairing but it's hard to have everything. 

I expect Edmonton will be a playoff team, maybe even the division leader when it's all said and done, but I don't expect them to repeat their march to the final. If we can bolster our D at some point I think we'd be a more well rounded playoff team than the Oil are today, but it's hard to say what their additions will look like down the road. They have their 2026 and 2027 1st's and 2nd's, they also have the Blues 2nd this year, I imagine they will all be in play the next couple seasons; that's their window before all of the Bouchard, Draisaitl, and McDavid extensions are on the books. 

yea its probably too much to ask to see much more d depth, I'm thinking maybe a PTO with Shultz. We should be able to finally bank cap space this year so thats a huge help.

The only "now" move would be sending Garland away in a deal. If they could swing that for a deal for Andersson from cowtown I'd be happy. Not sure what the "+" is with Garly, probably another 1st. 

8 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

If teams study Florida's Pk against them then they will be in trouble..It's been their bread and butter.

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Just now, Bob Long said:

yea its probably too much to ask to see much more d depth, I'm thinking maybe a PTO with Shultz. We should be able to finally bank cap space this year so thats a huge help.

The only "now" move would be sending Garland away in a deal. If they could swing that for a deal for Andersson from cowtown I'd be happy. Not sure what the "+" is with Garly, probably another 1st. 

I'd really prefer to not move out more 1st's, I understand going for it but I do think we need to keep adding higher end talent the prospect pool. But I suppose it depends on what's out there, I'd prefer to not go after another pending UFA a la Lindholm though. If they must move out high picks I'd prefer it be for a D with term attached. 

I understand that we can look at the Lindholm trade as paying to get playoff reps in, and that's important, but we'd be better served acquiring an asset with more term attached going forward if we're moving out 1sts. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

I'd really prefer to not move out more 1st's, I understand going for it but I do think we need to keep adding higher end talent the prospect pool. But I suppose it depends on what's out there, I'd prefer to not go after another pending UFA a la Lindholm though. If they must move out high picks I'd prefer it be for a D with term attached. 

I understand that we can look at the Lindholm trade as paying to get playoff reps in, and that's important, but we'd be better served acquiring an asset with more term attached going forward if we're moving out 1sts. 

I could live with it since RA has two years left on his deal. I think Cowtown can probably move him for more valuable assets than we can provide. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Canuck You said:

If teams study Florida's Pk against them then they will be in trouble..It's been their bread and butter.

Edmonton's PK itself could be an issue this season, having so many skill guys up front could come back to bite Edmonton. Their PK was quite good this past playoffs for the most part, and a big part of why they got as far as they did. 

Their PK was 94.3% if I'm not mistaken, absurdly effective and likely not sustainable. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

I could live with it since RA has two years left on his deal. I think Cowtown can probably move him for more valuable assets than we can provide. 

For Andersson? Probably. If he were available there are teams with better asset stockpiles than us out there.

Calgary would be best served extending him imo, someones' gotta play defense in their top 4. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Canuck You said:

Two guys pressure on the wall with a high-zone/near blue line pinch. Edmonton couldn’t figure it out for the life of em. It was so satisfying to see!

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Bure10Kuzmenko96 said:

The roster of the Oilers after walking away from Holloway and Broberg. Yikes

FB_IMG_1724188243171.jpg

39 year old Perry as a 3rd line winger.

If that was a Vancouver signing, fans and media  would be screaming for a new G.M.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I really think it's an "or" not "and". Lose any one of those guys for 6 weeks, and it makes that team so much easer to beat. 

And the other ones more prone to injury/exhaustion from overplaying.

32 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Or no Myers and putting his $3m towards a better, actual #3 D...? 👀

28 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I feel like Marcus Pettersson is the (eventual) target. Expiring deal, fits the roster needs/player type, isn't too "sexy"/shouldn't cost a fortune in trade assets (or to extend), Pens connection...

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, aGENT said:

And the other ones more prone to injury/exhaustion from overplaying.

Or no Myers and putting his $3m towards a better, actual #3 D...? 👀

I feel like Marcus Pettersson is the (eventual) target. Expiring deal, fits the roster needs/player type, isn't too "sexy"/shouldn't cost a fortune in trade assets (or to extend), Pens connection...

Given the cap constraints I'm not convinced they were going to do much better at RD than Myers while making the other moves they did. I didn't really have an issue with the Myers deal. 

He was towards the bottom of what qualifies as a top 4D in regards to ATOI last season, I expect he'll be asked to do that again. Thing is, he's not paid like a top 4 guy and will probably be quite serviceable as a 5-6D going forward if we can find a way to bring in a top 4 guy; we'll have the cap space to do so closer to the trade deadline but in the meantime our D will probably do alright if it is probably our weakest link. 

I wanted a top 4RD this offseason but I understand that we couldn't afford to do everything. All things considered, I like our offseason acquisitions. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Given the cap constraints I'm not convinced they were going to do much better at RD than Myers while making the other moves they did. I didn't really have an issue with the Myers deal. 

He was towards the bottom of what qualifies as a top 4D in regards to ATOI last season, I expect he'll be asked to do that again. Thing is, he's not paid like a top 4 guy and will probably be quite serviceable as a 5-6D going forward if we can find a way to bring in a top 4 guy; we'll have the cap space to do so closer to the trade deadline but in the meantime our D will probably do even if it is probably our weakest link. 

I wanted a top 4RD this offseason but I understand that we couldn't afford to do everything. All things considered, I like our offseason acquisitions. 

With the contracts we saw handed out this off-season to #4 dmen and with Myers recent improvement in play, I think he took a market value discount to stay. Could the money have been spent better elsewhere? Time will tell.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

With the contracts we saw handed out this off-season to #4 dmen and with Myers recent improvement in play, I think he took a market value discount to stay. Could the money have been spent better elsewhere? Time will tell.

Myers could have gotten more elsewhere, certainly. He did take less to stay. 

Is it ideal having him as a 4D? Probably not. Could we do worse than a guy with his lengthy history of playing top 4 minutes for 3M? Absolutely. Ideally he'd be a 5D who can step up in event of injuries, but ideally we wouldn't have dead cap on the books too.

We'd likely have needed to move out a larger salary to bring in a legit top 4 guy and it doesn't seem like they wanted to after shipping out Mikheyev. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

He was towards the bottom of what qualifies as a top 4D in regards to ATOI last season, I expect he'll be asked to do that again. Thing is, he's not paid like a top 4 guy and will probably be quite serviceable as a 5-6D going forward if we can find a way to bring in a top 4 guy; we'll have the cap space to do so closer to the trade deadline but in the meantime our D will probably do even if it is probably our weakest link. 

Certainly the caveat that I have no idea how much mutual interest there was with us and say Tanev/Roy/Pesce et al. But I'd far rather have applied his $3m to them if it was an option personally. But if not, no, I don't have a big issue with extending Myers (the best of the rest? 😂). It is a not small, $3m, 3 year barrier from actually upgrading that right side though. Which is a bit irksome.

And yes, that likely would have meant that to also upgrade the LD (Marcus Pettersson?) at some point, we'd almost certainly need to move out Garland.

47 minutes ago, Gurn said:

39 year old Perry as a 3rd line winger.

If that was a Vancouver signing, fans and media  would be screaming for a new G.M.

Podz - Henrique - Perry

Janmark - Ryan - Brown

VS

Joshua - Blueger - Gnarly

Heinen - Suter - Sherwood

Yes, please. 

• Upvote 1