St. Louis Blues Offer Sheet Oilers Holloway and Broberg

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Certainly the caveat that I have no idea how much mutual interest there was with us and say Tanev/Roy/Pesce et al. But I'd far rather have applied his $3m to them if it was an option personally. But if not, no, I don't have a big issue with extending Myers (the best of the rest? 😂). It is a not small, $3m, 3 year barrier from actually upgrading that right side though. Which is a bit irksome.

And yes, that likely would have meant that to also upgrade the LD (Marcus Pettersson?) at some point, we'd almost certainly need to move out Garland.

I'd give up a toe to have chris tanev on the canucks, but that's a lotta years. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Certainly the caveat that I have no idea how much mutual interest there was with us and say Tanev/Roy/Pesce et al. But I'd far rather have applied his $3m to them if it was an option personally. But if not, no, I don't have a big issue with extending Myers (the best of the rest? 😂). It is a not small, $3m, 3 year barrier from actually upgrading that right side though. Which is a bit irksome.

And yes, that likely would have meant that to also upgrade the LD (Marcus Pettersson?) at some point, we'd almost certainly need to move out Garland.

I never thought Tanev would come back, I assumed he'd end up in Toronto or Dallas. Never really thought Pesce would be interested in coming here, and I'm not sure he'd have taken the 5.5M and term he took in Jersey here; born in New York state, hard to say whether he was interested in Canada at all. 

Roy was the guy I wanted but I'm not sure we could have offered him that 5.75Mx7 Washington gave him. It didn't seem like a great offseason to be fishing for top 4D via UFA. 

3x3M ain't small, but I don't view it as a massive stopgap to upgrading our RD, Desharnais is 2x2M and that's not a ton of commitment, he doesn't have trade protection and is probably movable at that price without us having to pay for the privilege. 

I was wondering if we might move Garland out, but it seems they want another go round of him with Blueger and Joshua, which I get. 

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I never thought Tanev would come back, I assumed he'd end up in Toronto or Dallas. Never really thought Pesce would be interested in coming here, and I'm not sure he'd have taken the 5.5M and term he took in Jersey here; born in New York state, hard to say whether he was interested in Canada at all. 

Roy was the guy I wanted but I'm not sure we could have offered him that 5.75Mx7 Washington gave him. It didn't seem like a great offseason to be fishing for top 4D via UFA. 

3x3M ain't small, but I don't view it as a massive stopgap to upgrading our RD, Desharnais is 2x2M and that's not a ton of commitment, he doesn't have trade protection and is probably movable at that price without us having to pay for the privilege. 

I was wondering if we might move Garland out, but it seems they want another go round of him with Blueger and Joshua, which I get. 

Yup, and we're here now so.... If we can snag Pettersson at some point here, I'll feel a lot more comfortable about our D core heading in to the playoffs.

Hughes, Hronek

Pettersson, Myers

Soucy, Desharnais

Forbort, Juulsen

Then we just need Willander and D-Petey to displace a couple of those guys over the next couple years. Would LOVE to be able to bump Hronek down to 2nd pair though... so much more balanced...

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yup, and we're here now so.... If we can snag Pettersson at some point here, I'll feel a lot more comfortable about our D core heading in to the playoffs.

Hughes, Hronek

Pettersson, Myers

Soucy, Desharnais

Forbort, Juulsen

Then we just need Willander and D-Petey to displace a couple of those guys over the next couple years. Would LOVE to be able to bump Hronek down to 2nd pair though... so much more balanced...

Pettersson would be intriguing, could be available if Pittsburgh flames out

Upgrading the LD is probably more realistic than upgrading the RD

I like the idea of both young D stewing, I'd rather be patient, if they can show they deserve spots at some point I'm sure space would be made

• Like 1

And a big FU to the Coilers and their fans. Two very important young players gone because their GM thought it wise to lowball bothers these young guys while signing UFA’s. Very much a Benning (the moran) type move. Losers. 

• Like 2

I'm happy enough with the Canucks D.  I'd certainly prefer to have Zadorov back but not at $5.5M.  I'm over it already.

On to the Oilers, this is an Oilers thread after all. 

I really wonder what Bowman's next move is?  Surely he doesn't think a cup run is in the offing with that D line up.  The top pair is good but the rest is trash.  Is it free agency?  There are a few bottom pair possibilities like Dermott on the available list but they have less than $1M in free cap.  I don't really see an upgrade on Ceci there.  Even so, this means running with Kane on LTIR indefinitely and it doesn't look like he wants to do that.  So why not just run with Ceci?  That's spilled milk obviously but what was the plan?

Trade a forward for D?  Who? 

To those who think the Oilers are out of the woods now, they are not.  If I were Draisaitl, McDavid, or Bouchard, I wouldn't be signing anything until Bowman does something competent that says win now.

It really looks like the No Plan Plan.  🤣

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the Oil score more than us but I do think our forward group is more balanced. We've got some sandpaper, some higher end talent, some utility guys, guys who can provide depth scoring, and for the most part most of them can play capable defense (although I do think Sprong could look better if deployed and coached right). 

Our defense is a bit more questionable imo, but I think management did the best they could given the cap constraints. I'd have preferred another top four D and Myers bumped down to the third pairing but it's hard to have everything. 

I expect Edmonton will be a playoff team, maybe even the division leader when it's all said and done, but I don't expect them to repeat their march to the final. If we can bolster our D at some point I think we'd be a more well rounded playoff team than the Oil are today, but it's hard to say what their additions will look like down the road. They have their 2026 and 2027 1st's and 2nd's, they also have the Blues 2nd this year, I imagine they will all be in play the next couple seasons; that's their window before all of the Bouchard, Draisaitl, and McDavid extensions are on the books. 

If it's any comfort, Myers was already playing second pairing minutes since he got here, and twice he's done a serviceable job (last season and one with OEL). 

Yes it would be great if Soucy and Myers were the third pairing 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 3

19 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

I'm happy enough with the Canucks D.  I'd certainly prefer to have Zadorov back but not at $5.5M.  I'm over it already.

I really wonder what Bowman's next move is?  Surely he doesn't think a cup run is in the offing with that D line up.  The top pair is good but the rest is trash.  Is it free agency?  There are a few bottom pair possibilities like Dermott on the available list but they have less than $1M in free cap.  I don't really see an upgrade on Ceci there.  Even so, this means running with Kane on LTIR indefinitely and it doesn't look like he wants to do that.  So why not just run with Ceci?  That's spilled milk obviously but what was the plan?

To those who think the Oilers are out of the woods now, they are not.  If I were Draisaitl, McDavid, or Bouchard, I wouldn't be signing anything until Bowman does something competent that says win now.

Smart play: Zaitsev at league min

Stupid play: Barrie at league min

Edm play: DeAngelo at $2M

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

Smart play: Zaitsev at league min

Stupid play: Barrie at league min

Edm play: DeAngelo at $2M

Zaitsev already bolted to the KHL.

Schultz at league min would be a smart play.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

Well in 30 games, he did fine on spot duty with 10 pts and a minus 4 on a horrible team. 

Our very own Kyle Burroughs was 73 games and minus 42. Ferraro was 78 games and a minus 38

Im curious to see how sheltered Emberton's minutes were... 

There's no denying Cece is the better player between the 2 so sharks made the trade. 

Edmonton did get worse by trading Cece for Emberton but the question is how much worse? They lowered their cap which was the goal. Now the question is whether Emberton can be a regular contributor on the bottom pairing. 

Cheers

That was kind of my point. 
I'm sure that in the immidiate future Oilers D will be worse, as otherwise it would make no sense for Sharks to do the deal. 

Emberton may become a good player in time, but right now it sure weakens Oilers D. 
How much is anyones guess, but but hopefully enough to destroy their PK that worked wonders diring the playoffs. 

• Cheers 1

16 hours ago, Outsiders said:

Oilers lost a lot of speed upfront which made them effective. Mcloud,Fogele and now Holloway. All big guys with speed. They got slow Skinner and Arvy to replace lol

I actually think Arvidsson will be great for them (the 30 games he will play)

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

The only plan that makes sense is trade Drai. Get a solid centre and defence man and picks. He has a modified NTC with a 10 team trade list. 

Because it doesn't work with him getting a new contract and staying under the cap. 

• Cheers 3

3 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

The only plan that makes sense is trade Drai. Get a solid centre and defence man and picks. He has a modified NTC with a 10 team trade list. 

Because it doesn't work with him getting a new contract and staying under the cap. 

I'm not even sure they would need a center back as they still have RNH to play 2C and Henrique now to slot in at 3C. But a top pair capable defenseman would be a must.

Edmonton's best trade partner might be the Islanders. Something like Draisaitl for Pulock, Varlamov, and Wahlstrom. Pulock can babysit nurse while Varlamov gives them insurance if Skinner struggles again. For the Islanders, they get a much needed offensive boost and they don't need Pulock anymore with how Dobson has developed (plus they still have Mayfield on the right side and Romanov can also play the right side). Wahlstrom could also be a draft pick.

Draisaitl is by far the best player in that deal but at least Edmonton wouldn't lose him for nothing, would balance out their roster better, and wouldn't wreck their cap.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Gonna be interesting if EDM tried payback next season and pursues Alberta boy Jake Neighbours if STL doesn’t lock him up in advance.

I definitely don’t want to see Neighbours on EDM, and extensions might make that a little difficult to achieve anyway. 

49 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Gonna be interesting if EDM tried payback next season and pursues Alberta boy Jake Neighbours if STL doesn’t lock him up in advance.

I definitely don’t want to see Neighbours on EDM, and extensions might make that a little difficult to achieve anyway. 

I don' think the Oilers would have the amount of money really needed to offersheet Neighbours. Triple lol.

Edited by Herberts Vasiljevs
  • Cheers 4

1 hour ago, RWJC said:

They won't have the cap to do it and if they did St Louis would just match it

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Bure10Kuzmenko96 said:

They won't have the cap to do it and if they did St Louis would just match it

They have a whole season with which they can financially reposition. The season is fluid…given how quickly we’ve seen teams manage difficult  cap situations, I think there is always the possibility to create opportunity. Seems like a long shot but if they were able to move Nurse and Kane (entirely possible imho - just costly), while extending Drai and prepping for McD, and with cap rising, EDM could have a golden opportunity to restructure and actually come out a much stronger team. Nurse is a problem but if they managed a 3 way trade with two teams taking on a portion of his salary, he could be shipped out. All I’m saying is nothing is outside of the realm of possibility. It just depends on cost against necessity.