St. Louis Blues Offer Sheet Oilers Holloway and Broberg

7 hours ago, Diamonds said:

I'm not even sure they would need a center back as they still have RNH to play 2C and Henrique now to slot in at 3C. But a top pair capable defenseman would be a must.

Edmonton's best trade partner might be the Islanders. Something like Draisaitl for Pulock, Varlamov, and Wahlstrom. Pulock can babysit nurse while Varlamov gives them insurance if Skinner struggles again. For the Islanders, they get a much needed offensive boost and they don't need Pulock anymore with how Dobson has developed (plus they still have Mayfield on the right side and Romanov can also play the right side). Wahlstrom could also be a draft pick.

Draisaitl is by far the best player in that deal but at least Edmonton wouldn't lose him for nothing, would balance out their roster better, and wouldn't wreck their cap.

Draisaitl's trade and sign market would be pretty huge.    Mathew Tckchuk got Weager and Huberdough.   I'm sure Dobson would come back the other way in a trade and sign.  Whalstrom is a meh.     Not much more than Podz really.  A top five center the past 7 years,  and most agree a more reliable playoff performer then McJesus.   I'd think he'd be the biggest name center traded in decades.   Going to get an 8 year deal over 12.   A team like CHI might be happy to swing a deal too.   OTT as well, they need more offense and Giroux could come back to mitigate with retention.   One defenseman, Zub or Chychrun (with a contract and retention this year) and maybe Norris instead of Giroux,  plus picks (capital for trades later, at least one first). 

Edit:  And a hypothetical that won't happen, what about us?  Trade EP straight across in a trade and sign.    They'd be over the cap so would need to figure something out there but would you do it?   Draisaitl would mean we could add another top four D or at least a 3C to start the year that can move up and not hurt us, and accrue space for the D later.   Like chances a lot more with Draisaitl at 8.5 over EP at 11.6.  Next year likely 14.5%  of the cap to re-sign.   So 13.4 x 8 or so.   We know what we get with Draisaitl.   And his timeline is closer to JT Millers.   Can start the rebuild in 5-6 years ...

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

7 hours ago, IBatch said:

Draisaitl's trade and sign market would be pretty huge.    Mathew Tckchuk got Weager and Huberdough.   I'm sure Dobson would come back the other way in a trade and sign.  Whalstrom is a meh.     Not much more than Podz really.  A top five center the past 7 years,  and most agree a more reliable playoff performer then McJesus.   I'd think he'd be the biggest name center traded in decades.   Going to get an 8 year deal over 12.   A team like CHI might be happy to swing a deal too.   OTT as well, they need more offense and Giroux could come back to mitigate with retention.   One defenseman, Zub or Chychrun (with a contract and retention this year) and maybe Norris instead of Giroux,  plus picks (capital for trades later, at least one first). 

Edit:  And a hypothetical that won't happen, what about us?  Trade EP straight across in a trade and sign.    They'd be over the cap so would need to figure something out there but would you do it?   Draisaitl would mean we could add another top four D or at least a 3C to start the year that can move up and not hurt us, and accrue space for the D later.   Like chances a lot more with Draisaitl at 8.5 over EP at 11.6.  Next year likely 14.5%  of the cap to re-sign.   So 13.4 x 8 or so.   We know what we get with Draisaitl.   And his timeline is closer to JT Millers.   Can start the rebuild in 5-6 years ...

I'd be more angry if Dobson went to Edmonton, than them getting Podz. 

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, IBatch said:

There certainly could be a bidding war but it also feels like you're underrating Pulock. I think Pulock is more valuable than Chychrun or Zub and has a longer track record as a top pair defenseman (and Zub has never been used as one). Plus Pulock is locked in a a very good $6.15M cap hit. Chychrun still has a higher ceiling but seems to be a head case (has had a hard time fitting in on two teams now) and will likely be asking for a hefty raise.

Norris' value has been going down. He's probably still a 2C but his injury concerns (3 shoulder surgeries) and playing below his $8M cap hit when healthy don't make him the strongest asset in a trade. Wahlstrom I added because I was trying to think of a valuable young player to add but the Islanders honestly don't have any. Maybe Holmstrom is slightly more valuable than Wahlstrom, but yes this is a weak point. Varlamov also isn't a scrub. He's getting older but still a very good goalie and NY trusted him over Sorokin this past playoffs.

Edited by Diamonds
  • Cheers 1

8 hours ago, IBatch said:

Doesn’t Chychrun play for Washington now?

A Draisaitl trade would be difficult for any team.  His ask would be $14 million.  Not many playoff teams could accommodate that without talking apart a good chunk of their team.  I don’t see a fit with either Ottawa or NY Islanders.  The one team I think fits the best is Boston.  Problem with Boston is the assets going the other way.  Would have to be McAvoy +.  Losing McAvoy would be huge.  

Chicago could work as well if Edmonton wanted young assets in return.  But I’m assuming in order to keep McDavid, Edmonton would need to get a top Dman and/or centre back in the trade.  Montreal could also swing a deal with Edmonton.  Slafkovsky + Reinbacher might intrigue Edmonton.  Montreal needs a centre badly.  With Laine and Demidov and Caufield on the wings, Draisaitl would help Montreal take the next step.  Also puts less pressure on Suzuki to be the guy.  

For Vancouver, honestly I’d rather just keep Petey.  We would save on the cap only for this season and then Draisaitl would be getting $14 million.  Hughes is gonna also get $13 million+, so I don’t think that would work for us.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Doesn’t Chychrun play for Washington now?

A Draisaitl trade would be difficult for any team.  His ask would be $14 million.  Not many playoff teams could accommodate that without talking apart a good chunk of their team.  I don’t see a fit with either Ottawa or NY Islanders.  The one team I think fits the best is Boston.  Problem with Boston is the assets going the other way.  Would have to be McAvoy +.  Losing McAvoy would be huge.  

Chicago could work as well if Edmonton wanted young assets in return.  But I’m assuming in order to keep McDavid, Edmonton would need to get a top Dman and/or centre back in the trade.  Montreal could also swing a deal with Edmonton.  Slafkovsky + Reinbacher might intrigue Edmonton.  Montreal needs a centre badly.  With Laine and Demidov and Caufield on the wings, Draisaitl would help Montreal take the next step.  Also puts less pressure on Suzuki to be the guy.  

For Vancouver, honestly I’d rather just keep Petey.  We would save on the cap only for this season and then Draisaitl would be getting $14 million.  Hughes is gonna also get $13 million+, so I don’t think that would work for us.  

Wasn't paying attention enough to notice he was traded, guess they couldn't agree on terms for his next deal (OTT), so Zub it is.    His contract is up at the END of this season.   8.5 this year, and i'm going to be, 13.4 (14 is fine too) is about where it will come at, or 14.5% of a cap of around 92.     A lot of teams can make a trade for him this year, and deal with that the following summer.   OTT would be easy, Giroux (with retention)  up at the same time, and he's still a pretty good player himself - so EDM gets 80% of Draisaitl plugged for this season,  Zub one of the better defensive defenseman in the league,  on a great deal for 3 years, plus picks - or Norris and Zub and lesser picks.   That's not bad.   Ottawa's biggest need going into the off season was goaltending, second to that was offense.     With Chychrun gone, doubt they'd be into moving Zub  so that deals unrealistic.   They could afford to move one of them, which they did but not two.

NYI it would be Dobson for sure.   Huberdeau was a blue chip performer, a little older but wow who'd expect MT for him and Weager (a solid too pairing RHD) to send CAL into a spiral.    On paper that deal looked pretty fair.   Huberdeau was used to FLD tax rates and wanted a raise which for sure he'd earned.   MT makes the same take home at 9.5.  

Im with you on EP.   But it does make one wonder what we could do with Draisaitl this season, that's 3.1 extra in cap space, we could accrue for awhile and then add something pretty great later for this season.    13.4 -14 is a lot of money.  

Think Draistal will take a hit on his production given the power play he's going to, won't be as good, but it won't be astronomical either, not in Vancouver anyways, plays the same spot as EP.   95-100 instead of 110 plus.   Bet he's good for 40-50 goals a season until he's 34-35 playing with us (assuming we can re-up QHs).    Haven't seen many players put 7 100 plus points a season 106-128 points up per season in a row, fall off a cliff (his covid year 31 goals and 84 points in 56 games his pro-rated in there).    What we could do this year would be something.   Draisaitl for sure has proved himself many times in the post season, 41 goals, 108 points in 74 games.    That's 7 more goals, 9 more points in 50 less games than our best post season performer all-time.   Plus 10, to Lindens plus 7.    Both playing against the best in the world in their respective eras.    A couple seasons ago, had 13 goals in 12 games.  Was going to shatter Reggie Leaches/Kurri's best efforts, if they made it to the third round.   Even Bure didn't manage anything like that, aside from Nagano. 

Yes he's the enemy.  Yes he's a pouty whiner too.  And yes it's just a thought exercise because it won't happen in million years (a blockbuster trade with EDM, or CAL for that matter).    Zadarov is the biggest deal we've ever made with an Alberta team for perspective.    Most of our deals, are like Vey, and don't come along often. 

Believe Draisaitl at 13.4-14 versus EP at 11.6 is likely a wash the first four years, then we win.    We'd have a chance at more upside, where as Draisaitl won't be able to match that cap hit, likely his best season is in the rear view mirror, but man is he consistent, even Sakic and Yzerman ... not many players ever have produced 7 years in a row like that.   I dont think he's getting more than 14.5% though.    The guys who get more are few and far between, usually generational talents only.    Mathew's got paid a lot, but it was strategic, term would have lowered it below 13.  

Only Dionne, Gretzky, Mario, Jagr, and McDavid have managed a 7 year in a row 100 plus point pace.   That's it.  McDavid 8 and counting.   Gretzky the record at 17 consecutive seasons ... yikes.   Only a lockout stopped him too.   15 in a row won't ever be broken.   It's unlikely a player is good enough (Mario/Gretzky) to break 100 in 50-60 injury shortened campaign's.   Gretzky's 64 injury shortened season, still managed 149 points.  Nuts. 

McDavid could challenge the runner up though, Mario with 12.   Although I do wonder if the break the band up,  how much both players will be impacted.    Their power play is all-time deadly. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Diamonds said:

There certainly could be a bidding war but it also feels like you're underrating Pulock. I think Pulock is more valuable than Chychrun or Zub and has a longer track record as a top pair defenseman (and Zub has never been used as one). Plus Pulock is locked in a a very good $6.15M cap hit. Chychrun still has a higher ceiling but seems to be a head case (has had a hard time fitting in on two teams now) and will likely be asking for a hefty raise.

Norris' value has been going down. He's probably still a 2C but his injury concerns (3 shoulder surgeries) and playing below his $8M cap hit when healthy don't make him the strongest asset in a trade. Wahlstrom I added because I was trying to think of a valuable young player to add but the Islanders honestly don't have any. Maybe Holmstrom is slightly more valuable than Wahlstrom, but yes this is a weak point. Varlamov also isn't a scrub. He's getting older but still a very good goalie and NY trusted him over Sorokin this past playoffs.

Pulock plays top four minutes.   Has struggled with injuries.   And Dobson is their top pairing RHD.   He's decent but not exactly spectacular at his cap hit either.    Zub plays a similar amount of minutes, his cap hit is better a lot better, and is also RHD, and he's getting noticed for his hard nosed plays - his hits hurt, plus his defensive defenseman style (which EDM could most certainly use to back up Bouchard and Ekholm's line).    I'd definitely prefer Zub over Pulock all things being equal (cap hit), but maybe that's because i've seen him play a lot more and enjoy the fans response after a sick defensive play or a heavy hit (they all chant Zuuuub).  You don't become a fan favourite, for nothing.    Our barn really has only cheered on Gino and Luongo that way.  

As for Chychrun, not sure why he was traded, wasn't  paying enough attention.   Last year he played top pairing while Chabot was out, and it didn't work out so well (there season).   

ARI and in OTT.. and should be on the second pairing  (in OTT Chabot is their guy, oft injured though, and man did their goaltending stink, worst in the league last season).   And they decided Sanderson was their second core D

.    Chychrun was a green jacket worthy -30 last season, 41 points ... Zub playing close to the same minutes, was a plus 5 (crazy really, given where they ended up in the standings) and you can bet they sure missed him when he was out.   He's arguably one of the best deals in hockey right now ... RHD to boot.   There is a reason why several on the CFF/CDC have been salivating on the idea we could trade for him.   

No way they'd trade him unless something awfully special was coming back but agree with Chychrun traded, they wouldn't do this deal.   Pulock to OTT makes some sense though.   I'm sure NYI would find something interesting,  OTT has a very good pool and extra guys in the mid tier range.  

NYI would want Dobson for sure.   I can't see Draisaitl traded without a star coming back the other way, the same thing that happened when MT was traded to Calgary.   Weager for sure wasn't chopped liver.   Huberdeau, who knows what that's all about, falling off a cliff.    

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1