St. Louis Blues Offer Sheet Oilers Holloway and Broberg

21 minutes ago, HKSR said:

End of the day, it's a GM's job to make their team better.  If it means acquiring 2 stud 1st rounders for a 2nd and a 3rd round pick, then you do it.  Just make sure your own top tier RFAs are locked up well before the free agent market opens next year.

chances are the creep Bowman matches on Bro, but I like that someone is trying this. 

But if StL can actually bring in this much 1st round value, it's a big win for them. A team leaving itself this vulnerable at this stage of the offseason is asking for it. 

• Like 2
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Nucks780 said:

Broberg is probably excited about leaving edmonton. Didnt he ask for a trade earlier in the year.

I suspect the offer sheets were signed as they were coming out of the fax machines...🤪 ... nicely done Armstrong.

• Like 2

Another team could/should do an offer sheet for a dollar more per year, then another team, force St Louis to go up $20 bucks per year.

As long as it doesn't trigger extra compensation, that is.

Edited by Gurn

7 minutes ago, HKSR said:

The only thing I'm upset about regarding all of this is that STL didn't wait until tomorrow when the Leafs are apparently gonna make a big announcement about Matthews being the new captain.  If this news came out tomorrow, it would have totally overshadowed the Leafs news lol

I thought the compensation was based on total contract. I’m guessing that’s wrong, and it’s the AAV? 

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I thought the compensation was based on total contract. I’m guessing that’s wrong, and it’s the AAV? 

Yeah compensation is based on AAV.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Hilarious that the Blues put an offer sheet on both players! Edmonton can’t match either guy can they?

If I were betting on it, I'd say EDM likely matches both.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

I think they'll match at least one, possibly both.  However, it's going to hit them hard any way you paint it

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I doubt there is much of a market for Ceci.  Edmonton would probably need to add to make a trade.  Also, that doesn't really help Edmonton to trade Ceci just to keep Broberg.  They would still be down one RHDman and Broberg would be forced to play top 4 minutes with Nurse as a RHD.  Broberg must be praying that Edmonton doesn't match, I doubt he wants to play with Nurse...

If Broberg is getting paid 4.5m a season; he better be playing in a top 4 role.

I’m almost certain they don’t match Broberg’s offer sheet. Stecher can easily fill the void. He played pretty well, before his infection, that cost him his season and I also think they value Holloway way more than Broberg. Especially, at their given price. 

Edited by shiznak
  • Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Matching puts them 7.5 million over the cap. Maybe offer sheeting both forces Edmonton to only match one. Even after finding a way to move some salary around onto IR or whatever I can’t see them being able to clear enough to match both. Shouldn’t have signed the FA’s this year before their young guys. Could have signed both these guys for much less at the start of the FA period.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Another team could/should do an offer sheet for a dollar more per year, then another team, force St Louis to go up $20 bucks per year.

As long as it doesn't trigger extra compensation, that is.

If St. Louis had put a dollar more on both contracts then the compensation would've been higher

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

Wow 4.5mil is only a 2nd round pick? Now that the cap has risen so much, we'll probably see more offer sheets. 

The blues are essentially robbing the Oilers of their 2 former first round picks #8 and #14. lol, brutal. 

Edited by Drakrami
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, grumpyone said:

except it relieves them of 6.8 million in Cap ....yea yea yea they lose 2 players but sometimes I'd rather have the cap space

No it doesn't. They haven't spent that money yet and St. Louis is purposely overpaying so that it puts Edmonton in a bind.

Edited by The Lock
  • Like 3

Just now, JeremyCuddles said:

Can Edmonton go 10 or 15% over the cap during the off season? Cause according to PuckPedia (I miss you capfriendly) they are 7.225mil over the cap already. Gotta be pushing that 10/15% limit.

10% I believe in the off-season. (Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong)

• ThereItIs 1