St. Louis Blues Offer Sheet Oilers Holloway and Broberg

Awesome. Will be fascinating to see how Oilers respond. 

Broberg is a name with some serious upside, but he averaged under 16 minutes a night in the playoffs. And has less than 82 total games in the NHL.  Coil gotta be SURE he’s a #3-4 in a hurry if they’re giving him 4.5 mil.  Being young is nice, but this is a win-now group: and if he’s making veteran money, that takes a lot of shine off the age factor.  

Basically same goes with Holloway as well.. this is a team that just got Skinner for 3 mil. Guys chasing a cup are who they can try and fill the roster with. 

I doubt it happens but if I’m Bowman I’d let them both walk. (Assuming I can’t move contracts like Kane or Nurse.)

Edited by The Duke
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, The Duke said:

Awesome. Will be fascinating to see how Oilers respond. 

Broberg is a name with some serious upside, but he averaged under 16 minutes a night in the playoffs. And has less than 82 total games in the NHL.  Coil gotta be SURE he’s a #3-4 in a hurry if they’re giving him 4.5 mil.  Being young is nice, but this is a win-now group: and if he’s making veteran money, that takes a lot of shine off the age factor.  

Basically same goes with Holloway as well.. this is a team that just got Skinner for 3 mil. Guys chasing a cup are who they can try and fill the roster with. 

I doubt it happens but if I’m Bowman I’d let them both walk. (Assuming I can’t move contracts like Kane or Nurse.)

Might be time for them to package up Draisaitl and Nurse.  They can't afford to go into the season with an aging Ekholm as their only NHLer on the blueline.

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

Jeez, this deal is super interesting. I have nothing to add to this discussion, aside from the fact that the Oilers are screwed either way, as many other posters before me has written before. Just like other people, I'd really be curious as to how Oilers proceed with this. Maybe they'll end up trading someone with a higher cap space for a cheap price in order to make room. Maybe Nurse with 50 percent retention lol.

• MillerTime 1

4 hours ago, HKSR said:

When they try to unload cap, it'll probably COST them 2nd and 3rd round picks haha

Nobody is gonna do them any favours when they just went to Game 7 of the Finals.  To move a guy like Ceci, it'll probably be at least a 2nd round pick attached.  To move Kane, it'd be a 1st+ lol

perhaps Canucks can offer to bail them out by taking Nugent-Hopkins if they retain %50. they would then be able to match without going over %7 of the cap in off season. (LTIR not available for Kane till start of season)

5 hours ago, shiznak said:

I would imagine they would just put Kane on LTIR and trade Ceci, if they were to match?

Am I the only one who thinks Broberg is a bit overrated, because he shown flashes during their playoff run? He couldn’t even be a regular in their lineup, despite being thin on defense. He’s certainly not worth 4.5m.

This is where the 2 years comes in they can’t afford to match without unloading more 

• ThereItIs 2

7 hours ago, grumpyone said:

except it relieves them of 6.8 million in Cap ....yea yea yea they lose 2 players but sometimes I'd rather have the cap space

What cap?

They're over the cap and about to lose arguably their two best NHL young talents

• Haha 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

They have to assume Kane will be back at some point, so his going on LTIR doesn't really solve the problem his cap hit presents 

He's in the driver's seat regarding any trade too

If they're moving someone it'll probably have to be Ceci

its too bad, because moving Ceci makes them better. 

Oh well, they'll have to bleed a 1st at least to do it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EastCoastExpress said:

perhaps Canucks can offer to bail them out by taking Nugent-Hopkins if they retain %50. they would then be able to match without going over %7 of the cap in off season. (LTIR not available for Kane till start of season)

Do we really want The Nuge?

Heard coming out of Stan Bowman's office in Edmonton ".... Can someone PLEASE find me the number for Tonya Harding?"

Remember when we said that Edmonton was going to regret signing Kane long term??? Ahhhhhhh memories....

Remember Old Lady GIF by IFHT Films

Edited by VegasCanuck
  • Upvote 1