St. Louis Blues Offer Sheet Oilers Holloway and Broberg

48 minutes ago, Pears said:

My favourite part of this is how they could have offer sheeted these guys at any point but chose to wait until after Edmonton hired Bowman. 

my favourite part is even if Oils figure out how to match both and get complient by open season, Draisaitl and Bouchard contracts wreck them next season. Seems like they skipped a few oil changes signing skinner instead of their RFA's

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

I bet both guys would have signed 1.3 mil for 3 years as a bridge deal. So this is all on the Oilers management team! I love that these guys get the Bag from either team due to management not taking care of them sooner.

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, EastCoastExpress said:

I bet both guys would have signed 1.3 mil for 3 years as a bridge deal. So this is all on the Oilers management team! I love that these guys get the Bag from either team due to management not taking care of them sooner.

Well I wouldnt laugh at their management. They got the team to the finals. I'd happily lose 3 Brobergs if it means going to the finals again lol. 

9 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

Well I wouldnt laugh at their management. They got the team to the finals. I'd happily lose 3 Brobergs if it means going to the finals again lol. 

lol they lucked their way to the finals.. playing an AHL caliber offence in LA.. playing Vancouver without their starting goalie and losing their top goal scorer.. getting dominated by Dallas until Tanev got injured.. the management literally did nothing to get them to the finals.. it was literally just mcdavid and draisatal and a bunch of luck. 

as for st louis.. it's prolly a calculated move they prolly tried to offer edmonton the same compensation for the rights but edmonton say fuk off so they just offer sheet them and made the number so that even if kane goes on LTIR they still can't afford to match both without trading another player away. i don't mind it.. offer sheet is there for a reason so use it to your advantage.. if you get offer sheeted yourself?? well that's your management's problem for not getting the contracts done before they can be offer sheeted.

• Cheers 1

If the Oilers choose to match the offer sheets, they can place E Kane on LTIR at any time (as long as he is going to miss the first 10 games of next season). That saves them $5.15m until he returns healthy. They can save another $2.15m by waiving Brown and Ceci before the season starts, and they would be compliant with a 20-man roster.

However, a 20-man roster is not ideal and Kane will likely return in-season, so seems more likely that they will take the compensation for Broberg (2nd round pick) and match the offer for Holloway. Then they only need to place E Kane on LTIR in order to be cap compliant to start the season. They'd have a 21-man roster with $2.5m in cap space. Add a couple of depth guys to fill out to a 23-man roster and they will be fine to start the season.

The bigger problem is what happens when Kane is healthy? They are going to have to pay to cap dump E Kane prior to returning to full health.

16 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

If the Oilers choose to match the offer sheets, they can place E Kane on LTIR at any time (as long as he is going to miss the first 10 games of next season). That saves them $5.15m until he returns healthy. They can save another $2.15m by waiving Brown and Ceci before the season starts, and they would be compliant with a 20-man roster.

However, a 20-man roster is not ideal and Kane will likely return in-season, so seems more likely that they will take the compensation for Broberg (2nd round pick) and match the offer for Holloway. Then they only need to place E Kane on LTIR in order to be cap compliant to start the season. They'd have a 21-man roster with $2.5m in cap space. Add a couple of depth guys to fill out to a 23-man roster and they will be fine to start the season.

The bigger problem is what happens when Kane is healthy? They are going to have to pay to cap dump E Kane prior to returning to full health.

Kane has a NMC.  So they can't cap dump him.  They can't trade him period, as he won't agree to any trade.  Edmonton will 100% walk away from Broberg.  It's 50/50 with Holloway as he will screw up their cap and Edmonton also has to plan for next season.  Simply putting Kane on LTIR won't fix the problem because eventually he will need to come back on to the roster.

52 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Kane has a NMC.  So they can't cap dump him.  They can't trade him period, as he won't agree to any trade.  Edmonton will 100% walk away from Broberg.  It's 50/50 with Holloway as he will screw up their cap and Edmonton also has to plan for next season.  Simply putting Kane on LTIR won't fix the problem because eventually he will need to come back on to the roster.

Why? Broberg is one of their up and coming defenders. 4.5 is an overpayment, sure, but walking away from Broberg is 100 percent a mistake for Edmonton. I expect them to keep Broberg.

1 hour ago, BigTramFan said:

the bigger problem is next year Draisaitl and Bouchard contracts Tee Hee Hee

Edited by EastCoastExpress
had to add Tee hee hee
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, BigTramFan said:

Broberg is the big fish in this deal. Why would they take a 2nd round pick for a 8th overall that actually shows a lot of promise? People don't seem to understand how good Broberg is.

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

doesnt it just make you giggle inside? just a bit? and they got Draisaitl and Bouchard contracts next and it kinda gets uncontollable giggles. Someone should offer sheet Bouchard at 15mil next year, some teams could do it. DO IT!

• ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, Drakrami said:

Canucks were literally 2 goals short., Did not have Demko or Boeser.

Demko would have shut out Dallas 4 games strait. Enjoy your sloppy failure Edmonton, you just made the Canucks stronger.

• Cheers 1

45 minutes ago, PureQuickness said:

Why? Broberg is one of their up and coming defenders. 4.5 is an overpayment, sure, but walking away from Broberg is 100 percent a mistake for Edmonton. I expect them to keep Broberg.

Can you explain how Edmonton is going to fit Broberg's almost $4.6 million cap hit on their roster for this season and next season?

• Haha 3
  • Cheers 1