Guitar Players Thread

-dlc-

I don't play but am starting this thread on behalf of someone who wondered if there was a thread. @Nucker67  😉

I wanted to play....I got a guitar, went out and bought a "book" to start learning. LOL...."The Led Zeppelin Complete Songbook". Not sure that Jimmy Page was beginner level but it was Stairway to Heaven or bust for me (ftr, bust won).

I also was thrilled when I worked for a moving company and got a call from a guy really interested in how we'd pack/treat "his babies". Had them for years, they were his life blood. As we chatted, I'd learn it was Geoff Lloyd of the Matthew Good band. I oversaw the entire move (to Ontario) and he was thrilled with how well it turned out...no damage, everything arrived on time. He joked with me that his new home had everything he needed...a liquor store, record store and Lush (for his partner).

He actually was in the process of moving back (through me) when he was tragically taken from us too soon. He was a lovely man.

Anyhow, please feel free to use this area to share your stories.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

I actually just recently got back into guitar after about 10 to 15 years of not playing. I don't really consider myself that great at it as my main instrument was piano, but I'm trying to make sure I stay consistent in practicing every day so I actually get better this time around.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I've been playing guitar longer than most of you have been alive.   You'd think I'd be good at it by now.  🙂   Like who knows how many North American kids, I got a guitar the Christmas after The Beatles played on Ed Sullivan.   That'll be 60 years ago this coming Christmas.  My how time flies.

I love them.  I love how each one sounds so different from another.  I love how my wife accepts that owning 9 guitars, 5 basses, countless pedals, and 6 amps is ok (maybe it's because I don't bug her about her massive shoe collection too often).

I've had my greatest fun playing in bands though just playing alone in my music room is pretty fine too and I almost never watch a hockey or baseball game without an unplugged electric in my hands.  

For those just starting out, or those just getting back to it, my motto has always been You only have to be good enough to entertain yourself.  (That rule needs some modification if you are getting paid to play.)

While I'm mentioning my music mottos, others are How the song used to go is not as important as how you want it to go now and Just do it. You'll suck for a while and then get better at it.

• Like 2

I had great aspirations to play the guitar when I was but a teenager. Bought the guitar...took the lessons... I was bound and determined to learn how to play Country Roads or bust and was then treated to the stark realization that as much as I love music and know music, I was not born, nor destined, to EVER play a musical instrument of ANY kind let alone a guitar! lol  Millions of future bleeding ears have rejoiced in that fact over the years. I found that going out with guitar players who played in bands worked almost as well as being about to play myself! 😂 😜

• Like 2

I have 3 guitars.....a Japanese Squier (Strat copy), an acoustic/electric Breedlove and a 12 sting Yamaha acoustic. Been playing for about 50 years, but TBH, I never got past the "rhythm guitar" stage. (Too lazy for scales) The photos below match pretty closely what I have:

image.thumb.png.bcc7b264e324426bc3156eaa6878fb40.pngimage.thumb.jpeg.08e0ebc885348030ee55dd6d8b9754da.jpegs-l1200.thumb.webp.ca752bafbb84ce2e8c9274293f734024.webp

Now I play more keys than I do guitar. I have 2 Korgs and a Yamaha synth, but a lot of times I'll learn a tune on guitar and then transfer that knowledge to the keys.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Somebody likes Marshall amps....^^^^ :classic_cool:

Anyway, you reminded me....I also have a Samick acoustic/electric. I completely forgot about it. (Probably because I never play it now that I have the Breedlove)

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Somebody likes Marshall amps....^^^^ :classic_cool:

Anyway, you reminded me....I also have a Samick acoustic/electric. I completely forgot about it. (Probably because I never play it now that I have the Breedlove)

Ya I guess I do haha, it's just a classic sound combo with Marshall and Stratocasters....but I also like Peavey and Fender too (Deluxe, Twin)

And Samick are great, especially the older ones, your E/A must be sweet

• Cheers 1

I just recently decided to build a studio/drum room in the back of my garage. 

I have a set of sweet custom Ayottes and some old Ludwig drums.

I have a bunch of guitars. A PRS SE, a Kramer Baretta ( cheap but my fav), a Jaguar clone, a small scale electro acoustic, A Washburn acoustic and a few different ukes. I also have this weird but beautiful uke/mini guitar that a disturbed man ( wild story) on Salt Spring made. It's soo nice, but I have no idea how to tune it. He named it the 'happy twanger'

I have a few little amps.

I hope to dive back into the world I was part of a couple decades ago. Finally record some songs I wrote. 

So I hope my room is a nice drum, guitar, keys ( little midi set) and cpu studio.

Who knows if I will follow through but that is the latest dream. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Sophomore Jinx said:

I have so much gear I have not one, but two music rooms haha

Been playing and singing in bands since junior high school in the late 70's 

IMG_20240824_131931905.jpg

20170608_160803.jpg

My gear:

'85 Fender Strat, '88 Kramer Ferrington, Epiphone SG Special Custom, Samick Custom Pro Bass, 80's Washburn Bass, 80's Samick Custom Strat, Fender Elec./Acoustic, 80's Charvel, 80's Peavey Predator, 80's Yamaha Acoustic, Jackson Dinky, '82 Marshal 5210, Randall RG75, Vox ToneLab, TC Helicon VoiceLive, 70's Yorkville 4x12 cab, Marshall DSL 40C, 70's Peavey XR400B Head, Yamaha Stage Custom Drums, Alesis E-Drums, Yamaha Arius Keyboard, P.A., Mics., etc.

vedder.jpg

20210701_160649.jpg

Whats the black axe with the neat headstock next to the drums?

Kinda looks like a Parker Fly.

5 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Whats the black axe with the neat headstock next to the drums?

Kinda looks like a Parker Fly.

Nice eye! It is a Parker. I didn't mention that one in the post, as well as a few other items... and while it's not everyone's cup of tea with the weird looking headstock/body, it is such a sweet playing axe.

The other one on the stand is my Kramer Ferrington E/A, got it in '85 or '86, love that guitar.

Edited by Sophomore Jinx
  • ThereItIs 1

7 minutes ago, Sophomore Jinx said:

Nice eye! It is a Parker. I didn't mention that one in the post, as well as a few other items... and while it's not everyone's cup of tea with the weird looking headstock/body, it is such a sweet playing axe.

They're awsome. Still remember learing about them when Bowie did Tin Machine. His guitar player used one.

i like the funny headstocks. 

My Kramer is known for it's Hockey stick headstock. It's the Eddie VanHalen guitar...

this is mine..

20240824_165326.thumb.jpg.b1f098fccba3e2e7a65d86d3bcd7d0c0.jpg

It's my cheapest but fav to play

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

They're awsome. Still remember learing about them when Bowie did Tin Machine. His guitar player used one.

i like the funny headstocks. 

My Kramer is known for it's Hockey stick headstock. It's the Eddie VanHalen guitar...

this is mine..

20240824_165326.thumb.jpg.b1f098fccba3e2e7a65d86d3bcd7d0c0.jpg

It's my cheapest but fav to play

I had one of those too, I think I traded it for a Boss DD-3 pedal haha...I love the old Kramers and Charvels, Hamers too...all the great 80's metal guitars...they had amazing necks like the lightning bolt Ibanez's of the day...I had this exact one: (RG750, 1 pc. neck-thru body)

RG750_VP_88.webp

Edited by Sophomore Jinx
  • Cheers 1

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

For guitar players who are also coin collectors:

247902_rev-1200.thumb.webp.47607a94ee2201145a04c478747c2c91.webp

2024 $2 Fine Silver Coin - Fender® Jazzmaster® Guitar

$149.95 NO GST/HST!*

https://www.mint.ca/en/shop/coins/2024/fine-silver-coin-fender-jazzmaster-guitar?dlv-emuid=31063439-a3a9-427f-8e11-ab044435bd31&dlv-mlid=7556410

Real guitar players would immediately install a Mastery bridge and swap out the pickups for Lollar's. Many would also disconnect the tone switches and go for CTS pots.