heart failure

smithers joe

Joe, this is amazing news! You're very important to us so please keep kicking butt!

My daughter in law's parents (divorced) each had mild heart attacks within a short time span and are both underdoing surgery/treatment. I will pass this message of hope along to them, it's very encouraging.

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 2
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I hear ya Joe....

I'm now back at the gym at 63, after a layoff of 3 decades. Gotta get that blood pressure down and the meds only do so much....

we can be our own worse enemies, especially when we are  young. i never thought of protecting my heart, i'm paying for it now.

i was always active, playing sports, that wasn't enough i guess. everyone in my family have had heart trouble. maybe it's inherited.

• Huggy Bear 1

Just now, smithers joe said:

we can be our own worse enemies, especially when we are  young. i never thought of protecting my heart, i'm paying for it now.

i was always active, playing sports, that wasn't enough i guess. everyone in my family have had heart trouble. maybe it's inherited.

I believe it is. I'm lucky in that way. My parents both lived to a fairly advanced age without significant heart issues. (Dad passed at 93 and Mom at 89)

I was the same in my younger days. Played all the sports. It's only in the past few years (starting with Covid) that I haven't been doing much in the way of hockey, football and softball....

So the gym it is....

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

12 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I believe it is. I'm lucky in that way. My parents both lived to a fairly advanced age without significant heart issues. (Dad passed at 93 and Mom at 89)

I was the same in my younger days. Played all the sports. It's only in the past few years (starting with Covid) that I haven't been doing much in the way of hockey, football and softball....

So the gym it is....

keep it up lad.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

keep up the fight.

from someone who has had triple bypass, kidney failure, major heart attack with 3 stents installed ( separate incident from bypass ) and gall bladder attack & removal all since 2011. Since Jan 2023 I've started on a Ketovore diet ( following Dr. Ken Berry's proper human diet ) and lost over 60 lbs. I still don't have the energy that I want, but for the most part feel better. 

You can do this. Fight the good fight. 

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 1

Glad to hear good news Joe (sorry to hear you even suffered those issues)

Good Advice as well Joe

My friend just sold his company and retired young last year and wanted to join Army reserves

He is so fit, they ran tests and found this out and he had No idea or symptoms,

We were to go on a long Adventure Ride (like Itchy Boots) this year and now he has to wait for operation and recommended not to  go off-road or where no cell service

(I'm just packing right now to go last minute on an overnight now a friend just called to do and hopefully hit we hit no forest fires in the off-road area towards Okanogan)

stephen.jpg

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, Ballisticsports said:

Glad to hear good news Joe (sorry to hear you even suffered those issues)

Good Advice as well Joe

My friend just sold his company and retired young last year and wanted to join Army reserves

He is so fit, they ran tests and found this out and he had No idea or symptoms,

We were to go on a long Adventure Ride (like Itchy Boots) this year and now he has to wait for operation and recommended not to  go off-road or where no cell service

(I'm just packing right now to go last minute on an overnight now a friend just called to do and hopefully hit we hit no forest fires in the off-road area towards Okanogan)

stephen.jpg

they gave me a chart like that of my blockages but i may have thrown it away. i thought that after that i'ld be 100% better.

3 minutes ago, nux_win said:

I always knew you had a functioning heart Joe.  Keep it going.  Diet, exercise, sleep, and stress management are the four pillars to good health in my opinion.  All of us need to wisely manage all four elements.  And of course watch hockey.  GCG!

i agree bu i still can't excert myself, even to do simple exercises. i walk a little on my treadmill but feel sick to to stomach and dizzy upon easy exercises and everyday living.

• Huggy Bear 1

10 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

i agree bu i still can't excert myself, even to do simple exercises. i walk a little on my treadmill but feel sick to to stomach and dizzy upon easy exercises and everyday living.

You don't have to climb Hudson's Bay Mtn., just do what you can do.  And slowly, very slowly, increase the intensity.  Stop when you're feeling dizzy but do what you can when you don't.  My dad is 92, lives in an assisted living situation, has a very weak heart, has had quadruple bypass surgery, is unstable on his feet without his walker, is on quite a lot of medication, but I've got him on a weight training program anyway (I have a background in Kinesiology).  One has to be careful under those circumstances, use very small weights, and listen to one's doctor's advice, but it's possible to regain strength at any age.  He doesn't feel up to it on some days, and in that case it's OK to skip workouts, but when he is able to he feels better for having done his very simple workout.  Just knowing that it's possible to regain strength is often a help.  Good luck.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, grumpyone said:

keep up the fight.

from someone who has had triple bypass, kidney failure, major heart attack with 3 stents installed ( separate incident from bypass ) and gall bladder attack & removal all since 2011. Since Jan 2023 I've started on a Ketovore diet ( following Dr. Ken Berry's proper human diet ) and lost over 60 lbs. I still don't have the energy that I want, but for the most part feel better. 

You can do this. Fight the good fight. 

I was going to bring this up, I don't have heart conditions, that I know of at least but I do have Arthritis all over mostly in my knees and lower back.  Carbs are very inflammatory, when eat them my Arthritis kicks in, if I do my best to avoid them it goes away in a couple of weeks.  Cardiovascular disease is also largely an inflammatory disease, so it makes sense that avoiding carbs would also help with it.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

My father-in-law is in the quintuple bypass club.

Way to go Joe.

Keep at it.

i believe that is 5. same as i had.good luck to him.they do so many. they say it can add 10 years to your life. i had mine in 2017, still got 3 more years.

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

28 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

i believe that is 5. same as i had.good luck to him.they do so many. they say it can add 10 years to your life. i had mine in 2017, still got 3 more years.

Pretty sure he's 86 now. Had the 5x a while ago, probably around the same time as you. Had a heart attack in his 50's too. a few strokes along the way

he's a Bruce Willis character ( Die Hard)

you're one of my fav things about being around this site, I'm gonna have to go ahead and ask you for more than 3 more years. 😉

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Thanks 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 1

Joe, we’re all here for you. 

Take the meds. Go for prescribed walks/exercise and stay positive! 

Laugh. It’s ‘good medicine’. Literally and figuratively. 

Always know that you have a Community of folks from all walks of life and from all parts of the world that adore you. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 1