heart failure

smithers joe

There have been some really good advances in understanding and treatment of heart failure. 
‘A lot of the paradigm shifted about a decade ago with the realization that progressive scarring of overtaxed heart muscle is what pushed failure and figuring what meds could help. 
‘The recent use of SGLT2 medications like Jardiance has also made a huge change as well as a few other new meds.  I frequently see people recover significant heart function with the current gold standard  standard HF regiment.

Glad things are improving for you Joe. Hope it is a continuing trend. 

• Like 1

my brother had the same surgery that i did. canucks training camp that year was in the okanagan. his doctor advised him, he was not strong enough yet. he said, i've never missed one yet, he went. i don't know how much of training camp he saw, but in his motel room, he had a massive heart attack and died. he loved the canucks so much, that it killed him. he had season tickets almost every year. i think from 71 or 72. he was the glue that held us make through our foster home.

• Sad 1
  • Huggy Bear 2

I joined the heart attack club in late April 2023. Was at the neighbours (flames fan) letting the dogs out for a bathroom break. Suddenly felt nauseous and started getting tight in the chest then the left arm started getting numb followed by the right. Got the dogs in the house and climbed the hill back home. My wife said get in the car let’s go to the hospital 30mins away instead of calling 911 as they would take at the very least 30mins to get to me and then another 30mins back. (Unlike a long time friend who headed to the hospital but stopped for a beer on way. Made it to the morgue)

I arrived at the hospital emergency just in time to crash into the emergency holding my hand on my chest saying I am having an attack. The nurse led me to a bed. I said I am going down and proceeded to flatline. Got jumped on by the nurses and had to be zapped twice. 
(Always dreamed of having a couple nurses jumping on me. Careful what you wish for.) 10 minutes later I was on the phone letting the extended family know that I was on my way to Kelowna. 
There I had 2 stents put in. 90% blocked in the main line off the heart and 70% in a smaller vein/artery. Widow maker term was used. 
I am really hoping the Canucks can get as lucky and win a cup before I go. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Spur1 said:

I joined the heart attack club in late April 2023. Was at the neighbours (flames fan) letting the dogs out for a bathroom break. Suddenly felt nauseous and started getting tight in the chest then the left arm started getting numb followed by the right. Got the dogs in the house and climbed the hill back home. My wife said get in the car let’s go to the hospital 30mins away instead of calling 911 as they would take at the very least 30mins to get to me and then another 30mins back. (Unlike a long time friend who headed to the hospital but stopped for a beer on way. Made it to the morgue)

I arrived at the hospital emergency just in time to crash into the emergency holding my hand on my chest saying I am having an attack. The nurse led me to a bed. I said I am going down and proceeded to flatline. Got jumped on by the nurses and had to be zapped twice. 
(Always dreamed of having a couple nurses jumping on me. Careful what you wish for.) 10 minutes later I was on the phone letting the extended family know that I was on my way to Kelowna. 
There I had 2 stents put in. 90% blocked in the main line off the heart and 70% in a smaller vein/artery. Widow maker term was used. 
I am really hoping the Canucks can get as lucky and win a cup before I go. 

when i first went into the hospital, they were going to put in stents but i had a huge lump on my groin, where the would go in to. three nurses saw that and were pushing on it to see if there was a growth there. one nurse said, you must love three women poking around in your groin? i said well it be a long time since that occurred.

• Haha 3
  • ThereItIs 1

12 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

when i first went into the hospital, they were going to put in stents but i had a huge lump on my groin, where the would go in to. three nurses saw that and were pushing on it to see if there was a growth there. one nurse said, you must love three women poking around in your groin? i said well it be a long time since that occurred.

You must have cracked then up 

• Haha 1

I was getting out of breath walking up and down the stairs about 10 years ago now I think.  Had an EKG which showed major blockages.  Did the stress test and some other test.  Still no real answers.  Then I had an MRI on my heart and lo and behold it came back perfectly clear.

They never did find out whet happened.

I believe the reason was at the gym I was doing heavy weights on the pec machine.  At the time I thought I felt something but never gave it a second s thought

The problems started shortly after but I never made the connection..

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

I was getting out of breath walking up and down the stairs about 10 years ago now I think.  Had an EKG which showed major blockages.  Did the stress test and some other test.  Still no real answers.  Then I had an MRI on my heart and lo and behold it came back perfectly clear.

They never did find out whet happened.

I believe the reason was at the gym I was doing heavy weights on the pec machine.  At the time I thought I felt something but never gave it a second s thought

The problems started shortly after but I never made 

My team while getting my 2nd CPAP machine looked at my overnight stats and declared in rather excited tones "Oh wow, you qualify for oxygen therapy right now!"

I furrowed my brow at them and said I don't want to lug around a tank until it is the only thing keeping me alive, thanks anyways.

Now i am second guessing my choice... Maybe i should consider it. 

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1