Canadian Military Thread

Gurn

2 hours ago, Bob Long said:

@Optimist Prime just having fun, I'm actually in awe of what you guys do. 

For every hour of cool sounding bits there were 24 hours of sitting on hot airport tarmac, like Aviano Italy, or Brize Norton in England, smoking cigarrettes and drinking coffee waiting while the adrenaline rush cooled off and ultimately 9 times out of ten going home after being stood down early. Then for every hour of cool sounding bits there was another probably 10 minutes of shitting your pants stuff. But they never put the bathroom stuff in the movies, just the guy in the pizza van telling Tom Cruise what is what. 

OOO in fact I just remembered one of my favourite movies of the genre, Will Smith and Jason Lee... Enemy of the State. 

I highly recommend anyone interested to watch that movie, it is fantastical, like the bond flicks, but it sort of nails down what the NSA and CSE and CFIOG can do..in a way. The tech side is the cool shit, the door kicker operators usually just have a communicator in their ear so the guy in the pizza van can tell them what is up in real time. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

For every hour of cool sounding bits there were 24 hours of sitting on hot airport tarmac, like Aviano Italy, or Brize Norton in England, smoking cigarrettes and drinking coffee waiting while the adrenaline rush cooled off and ultimately 9 times out of ten going home after being stood down early. Then for every hour of cool sounding bits there was another probably 10 minutes of shitting your pants stuff. But they never put the bathroom stuff in the movies, just the guy in the pizza van telling Tom Cruise what is what. 

I actually had a neighbour when I was a kid, who was part of CSIS. I remember him saying some similar stuff to this, the long stretches of waiting. Before that he was undercover RCMP. Super nice fellow, looked scary as hell but took time to talk to an awkward teen (thats me) and tell me cool things. 

• MillerTime 1

14 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

image.png.795123125d10f335cbe23822eede7279.png

As much as I malign the insane costs of the shipbuilding program.  Our docks on both coasts desperately needed these contracts and the upgrades made to them and experience the labour force is given making these vessels will undoubtedly allow for more building in the future.  Being ableto build and maintain our own fleet is kind of a big deal

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

As much as I malign the insane costs of the shipbuilding program.  Our docks on both coasts desperately needed these contracts and the upgrades made to them and experience the labour force is given making these vessels will undoubtedly allow for more building in the future.  Being ableto build and maintain our own fleet is kind of a big deal

While it is expensive the gained employment and knowledge to be had, plus it is being made here in Canada are benefits that are very hard to measure. IMO; well worth the expense.

28 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

It had been so long since we built ships this large, the industry kinda had to learn to do it all over again (contributing to the high costs). Ship 5 from that picture went from cutting of the first steel to launching a full 12 months faster than ship 1 did. It was a bumpy start as they tried to scale up and re-learn how to build big ships, but they are humming along nicely now.

• ThereItIs 1

Good news on the recruiting issues: General Erye told a Senate Hearing that:

"We are entering this fiscal year with more recruits in the processing pipeline than we have for the last three. February had the greatest number of monthly applicants in the last five years."

Also that there have been 21,000 applications by permanent residents since the rule was changed to allow them to serve. But they are very slow to process as they have additional security screening requirements than citizens do. DND and Immigration finalized an information sharing agreement that is intended to speed things up a bit.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/bill-blair-nato-defence-spending-eyre-recruitment-1.7168748

On 4/8/2024 at 2:19 PM, Optimist Prime said:

Hope i don't sound like a know it all,

This will likely be my only post in this thread (because I'm more of a lurker ITT than a participant due to my lack of knowledge in this area), but I can assure you that you're nowhere close to coming across as a "know it all", unlike some posters who aim to show their prowess of "knowing it all" in other threads.  :hurhur:

...anyways, back to lurking in this thread for me.  :classic_ninja:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 1

7 hours ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Sorry, but it really begs the question - if it's Arctic class, why is it taking the Panama Canal when it'd be a much shorter distance to just circumnavigate Canada's northern coast?

...whoops, posted in this thread again.  Back to lurking for me.  :classic_ninja:

3 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Sorry, but it really begs the question - if it's Arctic class, why is it taking the Panama Canal when it'd be a much shorter distance to just circumnavigate Canada's northern coast?

...whoops, posted in this thread again.  Back to lurking for me.  :classic_ninja:

Ask someone in power.

• Cheers 1

58 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I just tried a quick measurement, by Google earth, and found the distance surprisingly close.

The first ship, in this class, The Harry Dewolfe did the roughly 10,500 km North route a couple years back. Did some sonar towed sonar testing along the way.

https://www.navalreview.ca/2021/10/hmcs-harry-dewolf-transits-northwest-passage-tests-asw-towed-sonar/

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Because they cruise at 12 knots in open water and 3 knots in ice. Going 400% faster more than makes up the 30% longer trip.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

• 4 weeks later...

Another hit piece by the national Post-no mention of the Patrol ships, the supply ships, the new frigates, the new cargo planes, the new surveillance planes or the new F-35s.

no mention of any of the new equipment

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/our-nato-allies-are-despairing-retired-general-says-trudeau-government-failing-on-defence/ar-BB1mfD2l?ocid=00000000&pc=U531&cvid=99ae65f60d0148ac83854b0b02af308f&ei=5

14 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Another hit piece by the national Post-no mention of the Patrol ships, the supply ships, the new frigates, the new cargo planes, the new surveillance planes or the new F-35s.

no mention of any of the new equipment

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/our-nato-allies-are-despairing-retired-general-says-trudeau-government-failing-on-defence/ar-BB1mfD2l?ocid=00000000&pc=U531&cvid=99ae65f60d0148ac83854b0b02af308f&ei=5

funniest part is the right wing likes Leslie if he says something negative about Trudeau.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

funniest part is the right wing likes Leslie if he says something negative about Trudeau.

You are so anxious to defend the Liberals that you won't even acknowledge the serious national security issue posed by an extremely weak Canadian military. Whether it is Leslie or any number of military people and CSIS the concern is widespread. The standard refrain is that this situation predated Trudeau and it did. That said this administration has had over 8 years to make a difference and has not. I don't understand the thinking. At one point Anan was told to cut $1 billion from the current military budget and a few weeks later there is a news article of a $4 billion military spend. A nice thought of where we might be in 10 - 20 years but Canada is currently at 1.22% of GDP. As a Canadian I am not comfortable with this. 

The country's security should be a apolitical exercise in securing our self defense. If the CPC forms government I am not sure if they will be any better. Politically parties have been more willing to buy votes and military sending doesn't sell well. It is a serious weakness in the Canadian public's view of the world. There is a willingness to have Big Daddy down south take care of our security. A country that hands off this vital aspect of national identity allows others to make decisions on our behalf. It is happening already. We know that American interest in Canada is qualified. 

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

You are so anxious to defend the Liberals that you won't even acknowledge the serious national security issue posed by an extremely weak Canadian military. Whether it is Leslie or any number of military people and CSIS the concern is widespread. The standard refrain is that this situation predated Trudeau and it did. That said this administration has had over 8 years to make a difference and has not. I don't understand the thinking. At one point Anan was told to cut $1 billion from the current military budget and a few weeks later there is a news article of a $4 billion military spend. A nice thought of where we might be in 10 - 20 years but Canada is currently at 1.22% of GDP. As a Canadian I am not comfortable with this. 

The country's security should be a apolitical exercise in securing our self defense. If the CPC forms government I am not sure if they will be any better. Politically parties have been more willing to buy votes and military sending doesn't sell well. It is a serious weakness in the Canadian public's view of the world. There is a willingness to have Big Daddy down south take care of our security. A country that hands off this vital aspect of national identity allows others to make decisions on our behalf. It is happening already. We know that American interest in Canada is qualified. 

its a standard refrain, because its true. Ask the serving members on here like @Optimist Prime what it was like under Harper.

And no I'm not anxious to defend the Libs, I have said many times on here how I want far more put into our military. 

Edited by Bob Long

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

its a standard refrain, because its true. Ask the serving members on here like @Optimist Prime what it was like under Harper.

And no I'm not anxious to defend the Libs, I have said many times on here how I want far more put into our military. 

I don't know how we can make that happen? It is almost like there is a thought process that we will have years to upgrade our military as it was prior to WW2. If nothing else the war in Ukraine should be a serious wake up call. Many European countries are now hitting and even exceeding their 2% spending. 

1 minute ago, Boudrias said:

I don't know how we can make that happen? It is almost like there is a thought process that we will have years to upgrade our military as it was prior to WW2. If nothing else the war in Ukraine should be a serious wake up call. Many European countries are now hitting and even exceeding their 2% spending. 

IMO it should be a big investment in drone tech, that we build ourselves. Its going to take a tech startup that just wants to be in that game, and whatever government that happens to be in power sees it as an easy win. It won't come from any party as an initiative. 

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

IMO it should be a big investment in drone tech, that we build ourselves. Its going to take a tech startup that just wants to be in that game, and whatever government that happens to be in power sees it as an easy win. It won't come from any party as an initiative. 

I think Canada is already a world leader in drone tech, both, military and civil. Military tactics have been upended by drone warfare in Ukraine. Much equipment will be outdated. 

Yes, it is a long standing issue that both parties are guitly of. I think the frustration from some close observes (maybe I shouldn't speak for them, but for me at least) at these recent articles is that the last few years have seen a nearly unprecidented (in peace time) re-capitalization of the Air Force and Navy. The Army could use for more love for sure, but the current gov't is actually doing a lot to buy new hardware.

We have had 2 deliveries and have 7 more on order for new strategic airlift and air-to-air refueling aircraft, we have ordered long-range surveilance and strike drones, we have ordered new fighter jets, we have ordered new anti-submarine warfare/ISR aircraft. These aren't press releases, these are signed contracts. That's all since 2020 and just for the Air Force.

The Navy is doing just as well, we have comissioned 3 new ships since 2021, and have 3 more Ice breakers and 2 at sea replenishment ships under construction at Canadian ship yards. As soon as the ice breakers are done, the frigates go into production. That contract is signed.

Crewing all the new equipment will be a challenge, no doubt. Recruitment is up in 2024, but not enough to make up the losses from 2018-2022.

So it's frustrating to read the 'same old story' of no investments into the Military be repeated when the facts have actually changed over the last couple of years.

and re: the bolded, yes they cut about $1 billion from travel and casual employees then added about $4 billion in investments in new capital.

18 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

Yes, it is a long standing issue that both parties are guitly of. I think the frustration from some close observes (maybe I shouldn't speak for them, but for me at least) at these recent articles is that the last few years have seen a nearly unprecidented (in peace time) re-capitalization of the Air Force and Navy. The Army could use for more love for sure, but the current gov't is actually doing a lot to buy new hardware.

We have had 2 deliveries and have 7 more on order for new strategic airlift and air-to-air refueling aircraft, we have ordered long-range surveilance and strike drones, we have ordered new fighter jets, we have ordered new anti-submarine warfare/ISR aircraft. These aren't press releases, these are signed contracts. That's all since 2020 and just for the Air Force.

The Navy is doing just as well, we have comissioned 3 new ships since 2021, and have 3 more Ice breakers and 2 at sea replenishment ships under construction at Canadian ship yards. As soon as the ice breakers are done, the frigates go into production. That contract is signed.

Crewing all the new equipment will be a challenge, no doubt. Recruitment is up in 2024, but not enough to make up the losses from 2018-2022.

So it's frustrating to read the 'same old story' of no investments into the Military be repeated when the facts have actually changed over the last couple of years.

and re: the bolded, yes they cut about $1 billion from travel and casual employees then added about $4 billion in investments in new capital.

Thanks for this.

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)

Just for shits and giggles, here's some data from https://www.macrotrends.net/global-metrics/countries/CAN/canada/military-spending-defense-budget that shows the % of GDP of Canada's military spending.  Some very interesting and identifiable trends below, especially how Mulroney started a trend that Chretien decided to continue with great vigour, followed by a Harper "look at me ma!  no hands!" post-election bump of defense spending and then quietly doing a 180, decimating the military funding to under 1% of GDP.

image.thumb.png.6e477fba3d48f6b60b28b896a804359c.png

image.thumb.png.60ed8fc6dd49c6cd478f7a2ff00559f7.png

image.png.66b3e1c9fda6b27be81dd015d03b069f.png

I don't think we'll ever get back to early '60 military spending, though.  :hurhur:

Edited by 6of1_halfdozenofother

Posted (edited)

government of Canada- from 1958 to current

from wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Canadian_federal_parliaments

75px-Chambre_des_Communes_1958.png 24th Canadian Parliament
Elected 1958
5 sessions
Apr 30, 1958

Apr 19, 1962
Progressive Conservative Party 208 of 265 House seats Liberal Party none
75px-Chambre_des_Communes_1962.png 25th Canadian Parliament
Elected 1962
1 session
Jul 18, 1962

Feb 6, 1963
Progressive Conservative Party 116 of 265 House seats (minority) Liberal Party
75px-Chambre_des_Communes_1963.png 26th Canadian Parliament
Elected 1963
3 sessions
May 8, 1963

Sep 8, 1965
Liberal Party 128 of 265 House seats (minority)[nb 13] Progressive Conservative Party
75px-Chambre_des_Communes_1965.png 27th Canadian Parliament
Elected 1965
2 sessions
Dec 9, 1965

Apr 23, 1968
Liberal Party 131 of 265 House seats (minority)[nb 14] Progressive Conservative Party
75px-Chambre_des_Communes_1968.png 28th Canadian Parliament
Elected 1968
4 sessions
Jul 25, 1968

Sep 1, 1972
Liberal Party 154 of 264 House seats Progressive Conservative Party
75px-Chambre_des_Communes_1972.png 29th Canadian Parliament
Elected 1972
2 sessions
Nov 20, 1972

May 9, 1974
Liberal Party 109 of 264 House seats (minority) Progressive Conservative Party
75px-Chambre_des_Communes_1974.png 30th Canadian Parliament
Elected 1974
4 sessions
Jul 31, 1974

Mar 26, 1979
Liberal Party 141 of 264 House seats

76 of 102 Senate seats

Progressive Conservative Party
75px-Chambre_des_Communes_1979.png 31st Canadian Parliament
Elected 1979
1 session
Jun 11, 1979

Dec 14, 1979
Progressive Conservative Party 136 of 282 House seats (minority)

18 of 104 Senate seats

Liberal Party
75px-Cdn1980.PNG 32nd Canadian Parliament
Elected 1980
2 sessions
Mar 10, 1980

Jul 9, 1984
Liberal Party 147 of 282 House seats

71 of 104 Senate seats

Progressive Conservative Party
75px-Cdn1984.PNG 33rd Canadian Parliament
Elected 1984
2 sessions
Sep 24, 1984

Oct 1, 1988
Progressive Conservative Party 211 of 282 House seats

23 of 104 Senate seats

Liberal Party
75px-Canada_1988_Federal_Election_seats.svg.png 34th Canadian Parliament
Elected 1988
3 sessions
Dec 12, 1988

Sep 8, 1993
Progressive Conservative Party 169 of 295 House seats

36 of 104 Senate seats[nb 15]

Liberal Party
75px-Canada_1993_Federal_Election_seats.svg.png 35th Canadian Parliament
Elected 1993
2 sessions
Nov 15, 1993

Apr 27, 1997
Liberal Party 177 of 295 House seats

41 of 104 Senate seats

Bloc Québécois
75px-Cdn1997.PNG 36th Canadian Parliament
Elected 1997
2 sessions
Jun 23, 1997

Oct 22, 2000
Liberal Party 155 of 301 House seats

51 of 104 Senate seats

Reform Party (1997–2000)
Canadian Alliance (2000)
75px-Cdn2000.PNG 37th Canadian Parliament
Elected 2000
3 sessions
Dec 18, 2000

Aug 23, 2004
Liberal Party 172 of 301 House seats

55 of 105 Senate seats

Canadian Alliance (2000–2004)
Conservative Party (2004)
75px-Elec2004.PNG 38th Canadian Parliament
Elected 2004
1 session
Oct 19, 2004

Nov 29, 2005
Liberal Party 135 of 308 House seats (minority)[nb 16]

64 of 105 Senate seats

Conservative Party
75px-Canada_2006_Federal_Election_seats.svg.png 39th Canadian Parliament
Elected 2006
2 sessions
Feb 13, 2006

Sep 7, 2008
Conservative Party 124 of 308 House seats (minority)

23 of 105 Senate seats

Liberal Party
75px-40th_Can_House.svg.png 40th Canadian Parliament
Elected 2008
3 sessions
Nov 4, 2008

Mar 26, 2011
Conservative Party 143 of 308 House seats (minority)

21 of 105 Senate seats

Liberal Party
75px-41st_Can_House.svg.png 41st Canadian Parliament
Elected 2011
2 sessions
May 23, 2011

Aug 2, 2015
Conservative Party 166 of 308 House seats

52 of 105 Senate seats

New Democratic Party
75px-Parliament_Of_Canada_Seating_Plan_2015_%28With_Speaker_Included%29.svg.png 42nd Canadian Parliament
Elected 2015
1 session
Dec 3, 2015

Sep 11, 2019
Liberal Party 184 of 338 House seats

0 of 105 Senate seats

Conservative Party
75px-Canadian_House_of_Commons_2019_standard.svg.png 43rd Canadian Parliament
Elected 2019
2 sessions
Dec 5, 2019

Aug 15, 2021
Liberal Party 157 of 338 House seats (minority)

0 of 105 Senate seats

Conservative Party
75px-44th_Canadian_Parliament.svg.png 44th Canadian Parliament
Elected 2021
Nov 22, 2021

present
Liberal Party
Edited by Gurn
  • Thanks 1