Canadian Military Thread

Gurn

5 hours ago, Gurn said:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/sending-canadian-vessel-to-cuba-alongside-russia-s-was-carefully-planned-minister/ar-BB1okfiG?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=5fc52605fc0f49588ab110dad3a12ff9&ei=44

OTTAWA — National Defence Minister Bill Blair's office is defending the decision to send a Canadian ship to Cuba where it docked alongside some of Russia's fleet, calling it a "carefully" planned move to increase its presence in the region.

Spokesman Daniel Minden issued a statement on Sunday saying the visit to Havana's port "was carefully and fulsomely planned," and the minister authorized it on the advice of the Royal Canadian Navy and Canadian Joint Operations Command.

--------------------------------------

mal

----------------------------------------------

Seems the Conservatives believe Trudeau personally authorized and signed off on this mission- otherwise- why mention him at all?

Because ‘Trudeau’, from the playbook of ‘Blame Obama’. 

The Right Wing Conservatives have been infiltrated by the Right-Wingers from the US. 

This is already a known known. 

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

On 6/7/2024 at 11:31 PM, Sharpshooter said:

My grandmother and many of our grandmothers deserve much respects and accolades for fighting in their own ways, and for raising our parents in wartime so that ‘we’ could be here to argue about a buncha stuff online. 

Wish they could get medals too. 

"All of us command" 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Sharpshooter said:

The Right Wing Conservatives have been infiltrated by the Right-Wingers from the US. 

PP is milking it for all he can.

• Upvote 1

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/james-k-irving-dead-at-96/ar-BB1oFyqG?bncnt=BroadcastNews_BreakingNews&ocid=UCPNC2&FORM=BNC001&pc=U531&cvid=fcc0c898521a4ceb83ea68afd5ca7cbf&ei=20

James K. Irving died peacefully Friday in Saint John, the release said.

He was the son of Irving patriarch K.C. Irving, who died in 1992, the industrialist who turned a single gas station and sawmill into a family-controlled business conglomerate, making him and his three sons among Canada's wealthiest businessmen.

That business, based in Saint John, includes forestry, energy, agriculture, transportation, retail, food, construction and shipbuilding, its website says. It was founded in 1882 and operates in Canada and the United States. 

-------------------------------

bit more at link

work starts on the first of 15 surface combatants- now designated as "River Class" destroyers

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/n-s-shipyard-begins-work-on-new-destroyers/vi-BB1p5fpp?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=313ee68a12da451384ba0242268da8fe&ei=48

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5 per coast?

provided a northern port is viable?

• Cheers 1

A different video, about the new ships

1:34 long- gives the names of the first 3 ships

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/video/news/defence-minister-announces-new-fleet-of-warships/vi-BB1p5Z1O?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=2d4467b10b1e4408b87ee8028cad4429&ei=29

---------------------------

voice over- says it could take decades to reach Canadian waters, and when they state the price, it is not mentioned that this is the total cost, not the just the construction cost?

• Cheers 1

On 6/29/2024 at 8:25 AM, Gurn said:

A different video, about the new ships

1:34 long- gives the names of the first 3 ships

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/video/news/defence-minister-announces-new-fleet-of-warships/vi-BB1p5Z1O?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=2d4467b10b1e4408b87ee8028cad4429&ei=29

---------------------------

voice over- says it could take decades to reach Canadian waters, and when they state the price, it is not mentioned that this is the total cost, not the just the construction cost?

Yeah the voice over missed the crucial "all" in that statement. It could take 20+ years for all 15 to be comissioned. 1st ship is expected to be commissioned in 2030-2031, even if one was delivered every year after that (ambitious, more likely ~15 months) it would be 20 years before the last one was delivered

• Upvote 1

On 6/28/2024 at 2:43 PM, Gurn said:

work starts on the first of 15 surface combatants- now designated as "River Class" destroyers

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/n-s-shipyard-begins-work-on-new-destroyers/vi-BB1p5fpp?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=313ee68a12da451384ba0242268da8fe&ei=48

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5 per coast?

provided a northern port is viable?

I don't think a Northern Port is viable, not any time soon. It took 10 years and $115 million just to build a Naval refueling station that is only operated in the summer months in the Arctic. If you wanted a propper deep water port, maintenance facilities, a supply depot for other consumables, the kind of security needed for a Navy base, and all the civilian infrastructure and ammenities needed to perminantly station people there, it would probably be tens of billions. (Not to mention how unpopular that would be as a posting location!)

If the North West Passage gains legitimate commercial traffic in the summer months, some of that infrastructure is going to be needed regardless. There will have to be at least bare-bones ports a ship can tuck into if they have a mechanical issue. I know a few ships have been using it but they must be very self sufficient or have huge insurance premiums.

I really don't know what container ships and tankers do when they have a crew member with a medical emergency when they're beyond the range a helicopter can get them to a hospital. That must be the case in the middle of the Atlantic or Pacific oceans, so I guess it wouldn't be that different in the Arctic. I guess they rely on a paramedic on the ship keeping someone alive for a couple days before they can be airlifted? 

• Upvote 1

On 6/21/2024 at 5:24 PM, Gurn said:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/james-k-irving-dead-at-96/ar-BB1oFyqG?bncnt=BroadcastNews_BreakingNews&ocid=UCPNC2&FORM=BNC001&pc=U531&cvid=fcc0c898521a4ceb83ea68afd5ca7cbf&ei=20

James K. Irving died peacefully Friday in Saint John, the release said.

He was the son of Irving patriarch K.C. Irving, who died in 1992, the industrialist who turned a single gas station and sawmill into a family-controlled business conglomerate, making him and his three sons among Canada's wealthiest businessmen.

That business, based in Saint John, includes forestry, energy, agriculture, transportation, retail, food, construction and shipbuilding, its website says. It was founded in 1882 and operates in Canada and the United States. 

-------------------------------

bit more at link

Irving's grand daughter knows how to party. That is all I can say here.

• Haha 1

On 6/17/2024 at 4:40 PM, Sharpshooter said:

Just another example of how unfit PP is to govern

There is a huge difference between joint operations ( we hold many with our allies ) and docking in a port.

The docking keeps those diplomatic Channels open.  The old saying Is keep your friends close.and your enemies closer is the rule here.

If the world goes to shit and hostilities break out these individual battle field connections could be vital.  

If there was any issues at all it would have been the Americans who would have come screaming.  They didn't as I suspect they ****cough***** asked us to take good notes while.there 

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/canadian-military-makes-history-appointing-143330801.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuYmluZy5jb20v&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAL3BiiDORKYAWG_sdfTg1qRiyY3eCyiXFcA-0Phs2xPibJ8O_OjnJFbUHyWchnTBaHxDafhDH3tF9vxx2NSgmiSQDriZfPRtlmYC8idIplIS-2DdV5ZJTzekGlTqcgt853KfU3VvFkHBA8B6FHOPBENACHh7N96dnDg_apQ_bR3r

"

On Friday night, Global News discovered that there is a new chief for the defence staff of the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) – the first woman, in fact, to ever do so. Lt.-Gen. Jennie Carignan is the soldier in question and is a combat engineer by trade. Mercedes Stephenson reports.

10 minutes ago, BPA said:

I’m excited to see Canada finally buying NEW subs instead of buying old used mothballed subs like last time.

I'm also glad to see this will hopefully be a joint venture with NATO allies, which should help with maintenance and availability of parts.

• Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I'm also glad to see this will hopefully be a joint venture with NATO allies, which should help with maintenance and availability of parts.

Yeah, looks like the German/Norweigan Type 212 CD and the Korean KSS III are front runners. Outside shot for the Swedish Type A26, but I would be surprised if a sub designed for Sweden's needs would have the range Canada would want.

Edited by MattJVD

Underwater range and time without snorting/snorkeling will be an important factor- as Minister Blair says

"Through the Canadian Patrol Submarine Project (CPSP), Canada will acquire a larger, modernized submarine fleet to enable the Royal Canadian Navy to covertly detect and deter maritime threats, control our maritime approaches, project power and striking capability further from our shores, and project a persistent deterrent on all three coasts," Blair said in a media statement."

Seems the current generation of type 212 has an 3 week without snorting endurance.

The larger size of the proposed type cd will be of great benefit in extending range and endurance

https://www.navalnews.com/naval-news/2021/09/radical-new-stealth-submarine-type-212cd-will-be-much-larger/

"Outline specifications published by TKMS show the size of the new submarine. It is much larger than the current Type-212A, with surface displacement increased by an incredible 65% from 1,524t to about 2,500t. Length is increased by nearly 30%, from 57.20 m (188 ft) to 73 m (240 ft). And the width is increased by nearly 50%, from 6.8 m (22 ft) to 10 m (33 ft). Height is also increased by 2 m (6.5 ft).

"The Liberal government announced Thursday that it hopes to meet NATO's military investment benchmark of two per cent of alliance members' gross domestic products by 2032."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/nato-canada-trudeau-1.7260649

Not acceptable in my opinion, another 8 years to reach the agreed upon target. The US may loose patience with members, weakening NATO at a time where we are increasing headed towards another world war. 

53 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

The US may loose patience with members, weakening NATO at a time where we are increasing headed towards another world war. 

Canadian spending was down, now it is growing, but too slowly; however the increase does mean 'NATO' and the Canadian military are actually getting stronger.

I stand by my endless statement.  That Canada should not be spending massive amounts of $ on what is clearly outdated equipment made for wars from decades ago.

If they want to increase nato/defence spending.  Do it by creating in house platforms like new unmanned subs and drones.  New defence tech to jam and disrupt electronic warfare and make drones essentially useless.  Really screw with NATO whining and spend money drafting new soldiers and training them for high tech jobs, engineering etc so they enter the work force ready to go (similar to nordic nations that train recruits for real world post enlistment life) and increase money for military wages, invest in more houses and ffs spend more on our gd vets!

That would more than bridge the gap in spending and in fact help our nation more than buying crap that the next government will immediately say wont work, who will then scrap the project waste time and money and turn around and repurchase essentially the same stuff only less of it due to increased prices.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I stand by my endless statement.  That Canada should not be spending massive amounts of $ on what is clearly outdated equipment made for wars from decades ago.

If they want to increase nato/defence spending.  Do it by creating in house platforms like new unmanned subs and drones.  New defence tech to jam and disrupt electronic warfare and make drones essentially useless.  Really screw with NATO whining and spend money drafting new soldiers and training them for high tech jobs, engineering etc so they enter the work force ready to go (similar to nordic nations that train recruits for real world post enlistment life) and increase money for military wages, invest in more houses and ffs spend more on our gd vets!

That would more than bridge the gap in spending and in fact help our nation more than buying crap that the next government will immediately say wont work, who will then scrap the project waste time and money and turn around and repurchase essentially the same stuff only less of it due to increased prices.

I agree they should target new advanced equipment and spend the extra cost, mostly from the US. There are so many areas that need upgrades. Canada should invest in military manufacturing capabilities, whether it be ammo, cruise missile capabilities, or unmanned drones. Its not really screwing with NATO though as the guidelines on what the 2% is spent on is pretty flexible. There is a lot of stuff we will have to purchase outside our capabilities as well such as additional aircraft, air defense systems, submarines, long range missile launchers, ect. 

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Subs are where Canada is lacking. 

It’s the best place to expenditure. 

I hope it’s on the US based SSN’s. 

Buying anywhere else is money ill-spent. 

37 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Look up the ghost shark from Aus.  It's got China genuinely worried because specs as stated makes their navy as useless as Russia's black sea fleet against Ukraine 

The new Northrup Grummond manta the US has is also seriously intriguing but not a GD chance they'd let that go to anyone any time soon.

UAV style warfare is in its infancy and the first nation to master it on an industrial scale will be a world power in short order 

• Like 1

On 7/11/2024 at 8:17 PM, Sharpshooter said:

It won't be SSNs for this project. US ship yards are struggling to keep up with the US and Royal Australian Navy orders as it is, they don't have the capacity for more export orders. The RAN is expecting 2032 to receive their first American Virgina Class. Then not until the 2040s for the British co-developed boats to start coming on line.

The Koreans or Germans can build us conventionally powered subs that still have ~3 weeks of submerged endurance (compared to the Victoria class's 3 days) and have them delivered a decade before we'd see our first SSN.

• Cheers 1

On 7/11/2024 at 8:17 PM, Sharpshooter said:

The war in Ukraine is also showing the value of those naval drones to sink ships. I'd probably invest in that as well as a good option for potential Russian capital ships that violate our waters.

As per retired US admiral James Stavridis:

"The Ukrainian navy is using surface boats, drones to strike Russian warships and drones go all the way to the bottom of the sea. And we're seeing the edges of [artificial intelligence warfare] emerging now in Ukraine where AI is being used to direct these drone swarms on both sides of that firing light."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/ukraine-russia-black-sea-drone-naval-warfare-1.7196566