stupid and dangerous.

smithers joe

once I drove from Kamloops back to Maple Ridge via the canyon in under 3 hours. Left Kamloops @ 3am... little to no traffic. 

Man, I miss that car. 

• Like 2

I have quite a few from my youth but cant share much....however, heres one.

On tour in the winter with the band in my '66 Dodge Fargo Van.

That alone could qualify as stupid and dangerous, but wait....theres more..

The heater sucked. I often drove in my sleeping bag with my right foot sticking out at the bottom zipper to operate the pedals( also could qualify as stupid and dangerous). If you slept in the tiny loft, it wasnt uncommon for ice to form on the van roof(ceiling), that was a few inches above, from your breath.

So we thought, lets stop at Can-tire and get something. We picked up a little propane dealio, like the ones you might cook with for camping. 

If you know old vans, some have the engine inbetween the front two seats. This was as it was in the Fargo. We put the new 'heater' on top so the passenger could watch for it. 

A few days later we started smelling exhaust inside the van. After about a week we couldnt handle it, so we found a mechanic and sprung for a hotel. Middle of nowhere but the fumes were too much. 

Next day we went to get the van .

Mechanic said, "I've fixed it but wow gotta ask....do any of you smoke?"

Us: "nope"

Mec: "good, well it wasn't exhuast you were smelling...it was gas fumes. Your carb was dripping gas on to your engine creating fumes, vapourising. If you guys were smoking in there it could have been bad news"

😶

We had that propane heater... an open red hot flame...sitting on top ...of... the engine. for. over. a. week...

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Like 2
  • Vintage 1

if anyone knows the malahat, they know cliffs up on one side of the highway and cliffs down on the other side. 4 of us navy boys were headed back to the base from ladysmith. we had all been drinking. the driver was from ladysmith. it was night,dark and other than the moonlight, you needed headlight to see the road clearly. the driver said i've driven the highway so often, i could drive it blindfolded. we laughed and said BS. so he turned out his headlights and drove the malahat with just the moonlight. when we sobbered up, we shook with fear at what could have happened.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

if anyone knows the malahat

Yeah:

The Malahat was were I learned that the Honda civic, my buddy was driving us in, was not able to go around curves like the Laverda motorcycle we were trying to pace.

The 4 wheel slide, towards the downside of those cliffs convinced us to slow down.

Also note- that road can get very, very foggy, down to can't see the front of a car , foggy

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

The heater sucked. I often drove in my sleeping bag with my right foot sticking out at the bottom zipper to operate the pedals( also could qualify as stupid and dangerous). If you slept in the tiny loft, it wasnt uncommon for ice to form on the van roof(ceiling), that was a few inches above, from your breath.

So we thought, lets stop at Can-tire and get something. We picked up a little propane dealio, like the ones you might cook with for camping. 

If you know old vans, some have the engine inbetween the front two seats. This was as it was in the Fargo. We put the new 'heater' on top so the passenger could watch for it. 

A few days later we started smelling exhaust inside the van. After about a week we couldnt handle it, so we found a mechanic and sprung for a hotel. Middle of nowhere but the fumes were too much. 

Mec: "good, well it wasn't exhuast you were smelling...it was gas fumes. Your carb was dripping gas on to your engine creating fumes, vapourising. If you guys were smoking in there it could have been bad news"

😶

We had that propane heater... an open red hot flame...sitting on top ...of... the engine. for. over. a. week...

.. why can't you share much?

Completely ignoring some safety protocols while playing around with hydrofluoric acid at 2am when no one is around in case things went south. 

Surprised I still have my fingers. 

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 hour ago, grumpyone said:

once I drove from Kamloops back to Maple Ridge via the canyon in under 3 hours. Left Kamloops @ 3am... little to no traffic. 

Man, I miss that car. 

Sounds like when I got from Sparwood to Calgary in about 1:15 haha.

Pete Davidson Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

That was 15+ years ago, I can thankfully say I no longer think I am invincible. That and once you have people relying on you, putting yourself and the lives of others at risk starts to not be so palatable. 

Now to be fair, that stretch of road is as close to the Autobahn as we have in Canada.

Edited by Supreme17
  • Like 3
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 hour ago, grumpyone said:

Man, I miss that car. 

5pd manual. Only about 109 hp, but if you revved it just right you could almost fly( just not from the line )

cornered well enough. Aftermarket stereo, rocked. 

1976_Toyota_Celica_GT_Liftback_Front_1.jpg

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Does it count that I posted on these sites (here and CDC) being ultra-critical of the prc and ccp - knowing that at some point they'll figure out who I am and "eliminate"/"silence" me? :classic_ninja:

Depends, do we really know who Petey is?

• Vintage 1

I have posted this a few times Joe.

I will do it again for you. 

This is me. 

From the age of 16 until my mid forties I did what many would call some crazy shit.

My nickname used to be crazy dave. 

The first person I saw die was playing football in the under 17 team, for my local team Monbulk.

A kid I had grown up with, Greg Anderson. 

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/110957998

Since then, I have seen people die skiing, Mountain Biking and car crashes.

I was very angry and upset when i was told I was adopted, made some bad decisions after I left school.

Got involved in a " gang" of like minded guys.

We did some really crazy shit.

Fighting racist skinheads, bikers and bouncers. 

Probably the craziest thing we did, was driving these really fast cars, GT Falcons, Holden Torana's , off our heads on drugs and alcohol. 

I am amazed that only a few of us died.

I am very lucky that with the help of a few people I managed to turn my life around.

As it says in the video, skiing was the catalyst, but it was the people at Mt. Hotham that helped changed my life. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

😶

I am not ashamed of anything I have done apart from driving under the influence of drugs and alcohol when I was young and stupid.

It's not so much shame, but acknowledging that I was risking other people's lives. 

One has to own ones mistakes.

The only real way to not keep making the same mistakes is to admit to yourself and others that you have made mistakes.

That's the first step on the path to not making that same mistake again. 

• Like 2
  • Huggy Bear 1