[Report] Kate Pettersen no longer with Canucks

Jaimito

Finally lost a Pettersen. 

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/turnover-the-name-of-the-game-in-the-vancouver-canucks-business-of-late

Turnover the name of the game in the Vancouver Canucks' business of late

Kate Pettersen is out as the team's official video reporter, one of a handful of notable personnel moves this summer for the Vancouver Canucks.

Author of the article:

Patrick Johnston

Published Aug 16, 2024 

There once was a time when people worked for the Vancouver Canucks for years and years.

Players, coaches and GMs come and go, but in the business end of things, stability was once the name of the game.

But for almost five years now, churn behind the scenes seems to have become a standard thing.

This summer is no exception. On Friday, the Canucks announced the hiring of some new performance personnel, and a couple of new scouts, but a number of notable behind-the-scenes names have left the team as well.

On Friday, the Canucks hired three new therapists — Chris Trivieri, Curtis Bell, and Gerry Ramogida — to replace physio Josh Termeer and chiropractor Erik Yuill. They will continue to under Alex Trinca and Roman Kaszczij.

And two new scouts, Patrick Leblond and Luca Caputi, have been hired.

The departures, though, do stand out. In June, for instance, there was the departure of vice-president of communications Loring Phinney after only nine months on the job. 

A cheery, upbeat person, with years of experience as a communications and public relations professional, Phinney was a solid choice to fill the shoes of the equally well-regarded Chris Brumwell, who was dumped more than a year before Phinney was hired.

But for whatever reason, Phinney came to decide the job wasn’t for him, so he left.

The team’s visual look is going to be different too.

This week, we learn that Kate Pettersen, also hired a year ago to be the team’s in-house on-camera reporter, is also gone. The @CanucksReporter account created for her on X, formerly known as Twitter, at the time of her hiring hasn’t been active since late May and shows no sign of Pettersen anymore. It’s been “locked” for some time, meaning new followers must be approved by the person controlling the account.

She hasn’t commented herself on the change — she still has Canucks photos in the banner of her own X account, although there is no longer any written mention of the Canucks on her account — but multiple sources have confirmed she is no longer working for the team. Her departure isn’t that surprising, given she was hired last summer to provide wall-to-wall coverage of the team — she travelled to all games, filed multiple reports daily to social media, as well as doing post-game interviews that would air on Sportsnet — and she did so … right up until the second round of the playoffs, when she was curiously not sent to Edmonton to cover the team, instead being sent to a low-key public watch party in a Vancouver park.

Also gone from the team’s content department is longtime videographer Paul Albi, who shot much of the Canucks’ best ice-level video footage over the years. He was first hired in January 2014 and was a big reason why the Canucks’ videos — especially the behind the scenes and the ice-level action footage — looked the way they did.

Two others in the content department also left the department this summer.

Further, there is another surprising executive level departure — chief revenue officer Terry Kalna is understood to be on his way out.

Kalna was scooped up from the Pittsburgh Penguins only two years ago to head up the Canucks’ partnerships, sponsorship and sales strategies.

Several sources expressed surprise about his departure, which is said to be “to spend more time with family.”

The Canucks haven’t necessarily been quick to fill executive gaps in the last few years. Beyond them taking more than a year to replace Brumwell, the team was without a full-time chief legal officer for two years, hiring Catherine Chow in January, filling a role that became empty when chairman Francesco Aquilini fired Chris Gear in December 2021, shortly after firing former general manager Jim Benning as well. Gear’s former deputy Chris Beardsmore had filled the role on an interim basis until August 2023, when he resigned. He joined Gear and another former Canucks colleague, James Douglas, at Blackfin Sports Group a month later.

Edited by Jaimito
  • Upvote 2

For the first half of this last season, Kate was great. Didn't mind it at all. Possibly over the year the interviews grew to similar to each other and the creativity

faded. Thought the players, at times, didn't know what to say.

Sounds like head office is getting in people they have wanted for a while and getting them in know. 

• Cheers 1

All I saw on her Instagram account was her golfing and in Nashville. 

Good presenter and a pretty face, there was seemingly something lacking in her work. 

Not sure how much lead she was allowed to have in her defence. 

Edited by Ghostsof1915
  • Cheers 4

Pettersen was pretty bland as a reporter. Nothing about her screamed like she was interesting. I don't know. There hasn't been anyone lately that would make an interviewer. These positions are probably easy to fill and don't pay enough to attract top talent.

48 minutes ago, PureQuickness said:

Pettersen was pretty bland as a reporter. Nothing about her screamed like she was interesting. I don't know. There hasn't been anyone lately that would make an interviewer. These positions are probably easy to fill and don't pay enough to attract top talent.

I thought she was great, and she made our huge team look HUGE. I remember one time she interviewed Garlund and realized, oh, skates.

I think she did the same job for other teams before (Nashville one of them, so maybe something happened in Nash), so maybe not a true CANUCK fan and maybe that shines through a bit?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, EastCoastExpress said:

I thought she was great, and she made our huge team look HUGE. I remember one time she interviewed Garlund and realized, oh, skates.

I think she did the same job for other teams before (Nashville one of them, so maybe something happened in Nash), so maybe not a true CANUCK fan and maybe that shines through a bit?

Yeah, I liked how she handled the Garland interview. Definitely one of her high points. I won't say she's been terrible. I think the one before her was pretty bad - the guy.

• Cheers 2

I never like to hear that somebody doesn't have a job anymore. When she started I though she came across as someone who has partied all night and hasn't been to bed yet, but as the season wore on, she improved. Wonder who will replace her. Lindsey Horsting, maybe?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Bland 'reporting' of company factoids, from a company paid presenter.

Not a big loss, at all.

She seemed like an ok gal, but the role is one I don't feel had any use at all.

We liked her. The fans can be too hard on the colour folks imo. 

I thought she did better interviews with the older players. Maybe she scared the young guys.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

The pre and post game player comments need to be there. Someone will have to be appointed to do the majority of this vital role.

Gaud! Please don't leave us with whatever the HNIC dudes have to say at 1am or later their time...

I'm sure someone else will be appointed. Still plenty of time.

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1