[Report] Kate Pettersen no longer with Canucks

Jaimito

43 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Bland 'reporting' of company factoids, from a company paid presenter.

Not a big loss, at all.

She seemed like an ok gal, but the role is one I don't feel had any use at all.

Thing is, some people enjoy the behind the scenes takes and seeing players in a different light/as human beings. 

The role is one that "connects" people to their team...the Canucks used to do family fairs and carnivals back in the day for that very purpose. A lighter side of things and off ice glimpse into events, etc. I guess it's not for everyone but personally I love it.

How did you feel about Dan Murphy doing some of this stuff?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • MillerTime 1

24 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

Thing is, some people enjoy the behind the scenes takes and seeing players in a different light/as human beings. 

The role is one that "connects" people to their team...the Canucks used to do family fairs and carnivals back in the day for that very purpose. A lighter side of things and off ice glimpse into events, etc. I guess it's not for everyone but personally I love it.

Not a Murph fan.-or his drunken abusive cop friend.

Not a fan of company's passing off communications spokespeople as 'reporters' at all.

She seemed like a really nice girl but her rinkside questions after games always seemed cringeworthy to me. How do you guys feel as a group was asked every interview.  Good luck to her in her new adventures

• Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Who is his friend? 

Vancouver cop, Dan and a few guys were pubbing it up on Granville st., when they left the bar his inebriated cop buddy thought he was in proper form to 

act in his legal capacity as a law enforcement guy. Sidewalk altercation, arrests and into court it eventually went.

Whole thing ended up in court, with Dan mostly saying " I'd had too much to drink so my memory is not reliable'.-- which is likely true.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

On 8/16/2024 at 6:36 PM, Jaimito said:

Finally lost a Pettersen. 

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/turnover-the-name-of-the-game-in-the-vancouver-canucks-business-of-late

Turnover the name of the game in the Vancouver Canucks' business of late

Kate Pettersen is out as the team's official video reporter, one of a handful of notable personnel moves this summer for the Vancouver Canucks.

Author of the article:

Patrick Johnston

Published Aug 16, 2024 

There once was a time when people worked for the Vancouver Canucks for years and years.

Players, coaches and GMs come and go, but in the business end of things, stability was once the name of the game.

But for almost five years now, churn behind the scenes seems to have become a standard thing.

This summer is no exception. On Friday, the Canucks announced the hiring of some new performance personnel, and a couple of new scouts, but a number of notable behind-the-scenes names have left the team as well.

On Friday, the Canucks hired three new therapists — Chris Trivieri, Curtis Bell, and Gerry Ramogida — to replace physio Josh Termeer and chiropractor Erik Yuill. They will continue to under Alex Trinca and Roman Kaszczij.

And two new scouts, Patrick Leblond and Luca Caputi, have been hired.

The departures, though, do stand out. In June, for instance, there was the departure of vice-president of communications Loring Phinney after only nine months on the job. 

A cheery, upbeat person, with years of experience as a communications and public relations professional, Phinney was a solid choice to fill the shoes of the equally well-regarded Chris Brumwell, who was dumped more than a year before Phinney was hired.

But for whatever reason, Phinney came to decide the job wasn’t for him, so he left.

The team’s visual look is going to be different too.

This week, we learn that Kate Pettersen, also hired a year ago to be the team’s in-house on-camera reporter, is also gone. The @CanucksReporter account created for her on X, formerly known as Twitter, at the time of her hiring hasn’t been active since late May and shows no sign of Pettersen anymore. It’s been “locked” for some time, meaning new followers must be approved by the person controlling the account.

She hasn’t commented herself on the change — she still has Canucks photos in the banner of her own X account, although there is no longer any written mention of the Canucks on her account — but multiple sources have confirmed she is no longer working for the team. Her departure isn’t that surprising, given she was hired last summer to provide wall-to-wall coverage of the team — she travelled to all games, filed multiple reports daily to social media, as well as doing post-game interviews that would air on Sportsnet — and she did so … right up until the second round of the playoffs, when she was curiously not sent to Edmonton to cover the team, instead being sent to a low-key public watch party in a Vancouver park.

Also gone from the team’s content department is longtime videographer Paul Albi, who shot much of the Canucks’ best ice-level video footage over the years. He was first hired in January 2014 and was a big reason why the Canucks’ videos — especially the behind the scenes and the ice-level action footage — looked the way they did.

Two others in the content department also left the department this summer.

Further, there is another surprising executive level departure — chief revenue officer Terry Kalna is understood to be on his way out.

Kalna was scooped up from the Pittsburgh Penguins only two years ago to head up the Canucks’ partnerships, sponsorship and sales strategies.

Several sources expressed surprise about his departure, which is said to be “to spend more time with family.”

The Canucks haven’t necessarily been quick to fill executive gaps in the last few years. Beyond them taking more than a year to replace Brumwell, the team was without a full-time chief legal officer for two years, hiring Catherine Chow in January, filling a role that became empty when chairman Francesco Aquilini fired Chris Gear in December 2021, shortly after firing former general manager Jim Benning as well. Gear’s former deputy Chris Beardsmore had filled the role on an interim basis until August 2023, when he resigned. He joined Gear and another former Canucks colleague, James Douglas, at Blackfin Sports Group a month later.

So basically the people who decided to shut down CBC are now gone? Good. No regerts. (sic)

• Like 1

Thinking back, i watched maybe two of her video clips in all of the season. Maybe another 10 flew by while I was not paying attention on my screens, but when the forums were ditched, i really stopped going to the official website all together. I think they may regret their choices but who knows, they are allowed to run their business the way they want. But who wouldn't want 50,000 accounts to 'blast' to whenever you wanted to hawk something?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 8/17/2024 at 10:04 AM, -dlc- said:

Dan Murphy was great. He did the role well. He was underrated in terms of humour and seemed to be more engaging.

On 8/17/2024 at 10:49 AM, Bell said:

She seemed like a really nice girl but her rinkside questions after games always seemed cringeworthy to me. How do you guys feel as a group was asked every interview.  Good luck to her in her new adventures

Yeah. Maybe I'm biased, but yeah, cringeworthy is a good description for this. She just seemed so awkward. Maybe that's the difference between Murphy (a seasoned media reporter) versus Pettersen.

On 8/17/2024 at 8:09 AM, -dlc- said:

I'm sad to hear this, I thought she was excellent. I felt like she had a natural talent for bantering back/forth with the players and seemed to do a good job. Is Hannah maybe coming back? Liked her too.

I really liked Hannah. Much more natural fit than Kate, IMO.

• Cheers 2

My question's more why the Province is stating this as if the turnover's a bad thing compared with before? The article seems almost bitter even though the article also stated it could have been her just wanting to be with family more.

A little unwarranted shade is it not?

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1