most memorable

smithers joe

i have a silly one, but near the beginning of playing organized baseball, i was mostly a bench sitter. we had 3 extra players and i was one of them.. i rarely played more than an inning. one game the other team had just 9 players, then one kid got hurt. their coach came over to see if they could borrow a player. i jumped up and said, i'll go. our coach said yeh, take pratte. i went 2 for 2 at the plate, drove in the winning run and made a game saving catch in the outfield. the only reason it was memorable was from then on i started every game and usually was the first batter in the order. if that hadn't happened, i'ld probably be still sitting on the bench. it also helped set the direction of my life.

• Like 3
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, smithers joe said:

i have a silly one, but near the beginning of playing organized baseball, i was mostly a bench sitter. we had 3 extra players and i was one of them.. i rarely played more than an inning. one game the other team had just 9 players, then one kid got hurt. their coach came over to see if they could borrow a player. i jumped up and said, i'll go. our coach said yeh, take pratte. i went 2 for 2 at the plate, drove in the winning run and made a game saving catch in the outfield. the only reason it was memorable was from then on i started every game and usually was the first batter in the order. if that hadn't happened, i'ld probably be still sitting on the bench. it also helped set the direction of my life.

You just needed a shot to prove yourself, Joe. Taught that coach a few things, didn't ya?  😉

That's awesome. 

6 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

You just needed a shot to prove yourself, Joe. Taught that coach a few things, didn't ya?  😉

That's awesome. 

i might be out to lunch but i've always believed that baseball teaches, youths about life. i use to give all my players a copy of john wooden's pyramid of success. i'ld love to go back and see how each boy made it through life. did my teaching help them at all?

• Huggy Bear 1