most memorable

smithers joe

6 hours ago, smithers joe said:

i was around from the beginning too. kurtenbach and schmautz and back when the canucks were in the whl and pchl. some posters on here remember the whl canucks. dunnybrooks against the new west minster royals at queens park. at 86 i remember the old 6 team league and gordie howe's rookie year.

i remember jackie robinson breaking the color barrier and the great battles between the yankees and the brooklyn dodgers. when your my age, you'll remember events that others never did. these events never die if someone remembers them. cheers.

I was too young and oblivious until around 78/79. Before then I was shooting pucks at my moms fridge yelling "Shoes cores!" Hehe. Kurtenbach coached my brother and his friends in the summer in Lake Cowichan though and 5 of those kids got drafted! 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

I bet you did.

Maybe some kids didn't have a father figure who took time for them. You may have provided some of that.

Maybe some kids needed structure in their life - dependability. You likely provided that.

Maybe some kids felt like they had a full count in life and you stepped in and they hit a home run.

Coaches can be much more than teachers of the sport. They show up. They devote their time. They listen (or at least the good ones do).

I bet you did.

thanks or those words, good lady/ friend. i nothing to look forward too, so i look back and try to remember what my life was all about. the wins, the loses and the break evens. funny how when you get old, you remember somethings but not others.

• Huggy Bear 2
  • MillerTime 1

2 hours ago, smithers joe said:

i might be out to lunch but i've always believed that baseball teaches, youths about life. i use to give all my players a copy of john wooden's pyramid of success. i'ld love to go back and see how each boy made it through life. did my teaching help them at all?

Remember me telling you about my oldest friend who coached the junior footy teams here in Monbulk for years ?

Most of those kids have told him that he was a huge influence on their lives.

A friend of mine and I had a Ski and snowboard shop at Mt. Hotham.

The Freezer.

He was a 4 time Aussie Boardercross champ and raced on the world cup circuit.

I was a big mountain skier who had some support from Arnette, Quicksilver and Dynastar, then Salomon.

The " Grommies " surf slang for kids, hung out at our shop and used to ride with us and our friends. 

We used to teach them about skiing and boarding, more importantly about life. 

We had this one kid who worked for us, Dizzy.

Wonderful young kid, at the end of his second season, he thanked my friend and I for teaching him about being a good person.

To treat others the way he wants to be treated. 

That was a very rewarding moment in my life.

I have no doubt Joe that you made the same impact on the kids you coached.

• Like 1