(Trade) Podkolzin to Edmonton

3 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

Better than a third. Especially to a division rival. There’s gotta be another trade coming to make this make sense for me.

I love the guy, but he hasn’t done enough to warrant a much higher draft pick. I’m not happy about this, but more because of what team he got sent to. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 2

Just now, Iron Fist said:

WHYYY?   i dunno about the return. but why the oilers

Considering it's Ottawa's 4th it's likely the highest pick offered and I imagine they aren't worried about him coming back to bite them in the ass 

I expected him to be dealt after training camp when he failed to make the team. Don't see the upside that some people here do. Don't mind this trade at all, he was a failed pick. The last time he's put up good offensive numbers, in any league, is back in 2017. 

• ThereItIs 1

Seems like a crappy return, but we signed guys who beat him out and he and Hoglander can't be waived this year or be lost for nothing.  I had posted a while back that one of them wouldn't likely be on the roster by the time the season started, not enough roster spots and they won't develop in the press box.  I had thought Hoglander would be the one going as he would actually have some value with his production and low cap hit.

I would have thought they could trade him as a sweetener for Poolman's contract to a team that isn't going to be at the cap ceiling for basically nothing in return and we end up better off.  Karlsson came in and looked like he could be surpassing Podkolzin, so the loss itself isn't a big deal.

I personally basically hold no value in 4th round picks or later as they almost never pan out.  You can get equivalent or better prospects direct from Europe of unsigned college free agents.

Debrusk-Petterson-Hoglander
Heinen-Miller-Boeser
Joshua-Suter-Garland
Sherwood-Blueger-Sprong
PDG

Edited by Provost
  • Like 1

$1,000,000

Vasily Podkolzin signed a 2 year , $2,000,000 contract with the Vancouver Canucks, including $2,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $1,000,000. In 2024-25, Podkolzin will earn a base salary of $1,000,000, while carrying a cap hit of $1,000,000.   

every dime.
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Joe King said:

Do we have any left in our system. We don't seem to have a lot of luck with Russian players lasting in our organization.

Yeah, we have at least one and I can’t spell his name. It’s my Iranian tobacco accent. Sorry. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

Yikes… his value sure went down a lot more than most thought.

Well he is slow of foot for a modern top 6 and not defensive minded enough for a modern bottom six and he isn't an enforcer or or or.. he is a good hockey player and I liked him but I guess it was obvious he wouldn't make the big club and we would lose him on waivers. 

After that, it is up to the interest generated to determine the return. 

Market just said he is worth a 4th. 

Hard to argue with market price on a time limited commodity.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, HuggyCareBear said:

Podkolzin was a "meh" player. 

If it were for a 3rd and to another team, I'd actually be perfectly ok with it. 

The only reason it's bad is because he's gone to the oilers and its for a 4th. 

IMG_1487.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Well, Podz recently did an interview in Russian mentioning his development trajectory, the challenges, his playing time and how he needs more trust and playing time to take his game to new heights. He also recently talked to the media about why Kuz was traded and how Kuz got a fresh start.

He was well aware of his situation and the challenges he faced. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he, himself, actually wanted a fresh start. 

Then he should have been traded for another player in a similar situation. Instead they traded him to our biggest rival and a team we have to pass to win the cup. This is a failed move. I don’t care what anyone says 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • ThereItIs 1

Just now, Devron said:

Then he should have been traded for another player in a similar situation. Instead they traded him to our biggest rival and a team we have to pass to win the cup. This is a failed move. I don’t care what anyone says 

So trade him for another disappointing player that likely wouldn't make a top tier club but would probably be claimed on waivers anyway? 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

4 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:
$1,000,000

Vasily Podkolzin signed a 2 year , $2,000,000 contract with the Vancouver Canucks, including $2,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $1,000,000. In 2024-25, Podkolzin will earn a base salary of $1,000,000, while carrying a cap hit of $1,000,000.   

every dime.

There almost has to be another move coming at some point.  We just get farther from the cap so if we put Poolman on LTIR we won't get his full cap hit as overage relief.  They had it worked to within $15k of the ceiling so would have been able to put Poolman on LTIR and gotten to exceed the cap by almost his entire salary whenever they wanted to replace him in season.