(Trade) Podkolzin to Edmonton

Just now, qwijjibo said:

So trade him for another disappointing player that likely wouldn't make a top tier club but would probably be claimed on waivers anyway? 

Absolutely. At least it’s something. Or give him another chance in training camp. I would have preferred waivers to this 1000%

• Cheers 1

Just now, Devron said:

I would not be doing Edmonton any fkin favours and that is exactly what this is. A deal with the devil 

Is it though? Do you really see Podkolzin as an impact player worthy of all this angst? I'm not even convinced he's an NHL player at this point 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, qwijjibo said:

Is it though? Do you really see Podkolzin as an impact player worthy of all this angst? I'm not even convinced he's an NHL player at this point 

Middle six forward absolutely 

It's dumb.

If he succeeds in Edm, which is unlikely the way he is trending, then he will be in our division on our biggest rival.

Last thing I want to see is him bloom in Edm and spend seasons blowing up Canucks with decent hits.

Not worth the risk for a 4th. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Devron said:

Then he should have been traded for another player in a similar situation. Instead they traded him to our biggest rival and a team we have to pass to win the cup. This is a failed move. I don’t care what anyone says 

That is why I said poison pill, he is a good player with slow feet and no real defence, so maybe he is intended to take a roster spot on Edmonton seemingly Holloways, making Edmonton easier to pass in the playoffs? 

I am just speculating, but it wouldn't be a big stretch to see we have a book on Podz now that we can 3xploit.

• Like 1

Not surprised at this at all, as I've said very recently, he wasn't bringing very much (zero offense) other than skating around trying not to fuck up, and trying to please the coach, instead of just going for it and showcasing himself...he doesn't seem to have the mental toughness nor the hockey IQ to figure things out...and whether he is a "bust" or not, only time will tell, but he is certainly trending that way, and was never going to be a regular here

And with this bold move things didn't get easier now for the likes of Hogz, if anything IMO, his leash is even tighter now, and he might be the next domino to fall...

Edited by Sophomore Jinx

1 minute ago, qwijjibo said:

So trade him for another disappointing player that likely wouldn't make a top tier club but would probably be claimed on waivers anyway? 

And we’ve actually had some success with these mid-round picks. Not bonafide HOF’ers mind you, but good, serviceable players. 

2 minutes ago, Provost said:

There almost has to be another move coming at some point.  We just get farther from the cap so if we put Poolman on LTIR we won't get his full cap hit as overage relief.  They had it worked to within $15k of the ceiling so would have been able to put Poolman on LTIR and gotten to exceed the cap by almost his entire salary whenever they wanted to replace him in season.

We are at 191k below the cap, so it's still pretty good 

Edited by Bob Long
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, bishopshodan said:

It's dumb.

If he succeeds in Edm, which is unlikely the way he is trending, then he will be in our division on our biggest rival.

Last thing I want to see is him bloom in Edm and spend seasons blowing up Canucks with decent hits.

Not worth the risk for a 4th. 

Exactly. Obviously there’s a chance we got a 4th round pick for nothing. But why even risk that to a division rival. Dumb 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

ok fine still.. why are we trading to edmonton? there's 0 interest in the league for a young power forward with upside?

Maybe it was Ottawa's 4th they were really after, and Edmonton had it. Maybe they feel it will end up in the range where there is some one they are hoping to draft.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Provost said:

There almost has to be another move coming at some point.  We just get farther from the cap so if we put Poolman on LTIR we won't get his full cap hit as overage relief.  They had it worked to within $15k of the ceiling so would have been able to put Poolman on LTIR and gotten to exceed the cap by almost his entire salary whenever they wanted to replace him in season.

May not this week, but Alvin will no doubt address it as pre-season get's going.

1 minute ago, Snoop Hogg said:

And we’ve actually had some success with these mid-round picks. Not bonafide HOF’ers mind you, but good, serviceable players. 

Yup. Or that pick could be used as part of a package.  It's a tangible asset in return for a player they didn't see making the club 

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 3

Just now, qwijjibo said:

And the management team who sees him day in and dsy out, who has a very good idea of what he is as a player, would rather take the 4th round pick.  An asset to be used rather than a player who doesn't fit into the plans and could be lost for nothing 

Why do we even bother discussing things then?

Edm must think somehing of him though, so theres that. 

I remember that 2019 draft like yesterday. Fans were shocked that we took a Russian but also very excited.

Sucks that this is ultimately what it led to. Add another poor pick to Benning’s tenure.

As for the trade I don’t wanna overreact cause I know we tend to hype our players too much. I just don’t understand trading in the division for a mid round pick. No one else was willing to offer a 4th?

The odds of Podz becoming a serviceable middle 6 winger are much higher than hitting on a 4th round pick. So why help Edmonton, and more specific ally Bowman out? If Podz figures his game out there it’s gonna come back to bite us.

If this is a precursor to another trade it makes sense. In a vacuum this looks like PA and Rutherford were just too eager to make a trade. I get you don’t wanna lose him to waivers but I don’t see how you couldn’t move him for someone like Soderstrom. At least you get another project player of similar draft position in a position of need.

Just a strange move to me.

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1