(Trade) Podkolzin to Edmonton

Only in Vancouver would people give a crap about a useless bust like Vasily Podkolzin. You don’t think they called around the league? This guy has shown absolutely nothing so you get nothing in return. Good riddance. 

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

4 minutes ago, gwarrior said:

I guess the writing was on the wall for Podz. Bringing in Sprong probably didn't help his case. But my biggest issue is trading him in the division. Are you telling me NOBODY in the east would take a chance on him for a 4th rounder?

Teams in the east would be. "Who?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Is the ex a young power fwd that could still visit your house and lay big hits on your new partner on a regular? 

If they got into a new, long distance relationship, sure. Wont have to see him as much. 

Anyway, not worried...at all.

Just think its one of Alvins few , dumb moves.

And I simplify it to being neither good nor bad, rather one of PA's necessary moves...

And IMHO, Podz was NOT a "young power forward", he was a neutered, trending downward tweener, who hasn't put it all together in spite of several opportunities.

Podz was quickly becoming like that box of Graham Wafer crumbs that you've been looking at in the recesses of the pantry for years, and you've finally decided that it is not going to be used, so off to the dirt pile with it...(in this case, the dirt pile is the Coilers)

Edited by Sophomore Jinx
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Honestly I do not know if Pods would work out. I think some of us are putting a lot of faith in him because we all want him to be become something more based on his draft position, plus our love for the guy like Kuzmenko. A 4th round pick is not the best but it is probably his value now.

HOWEVER, why Edmonton? None of the other 30 teams are interested? Seems like Edmonton is collecting former high round picks to make their prospect pool look better than it is.  

It seems like there has been to be something more as well, but this could just be us freeing up a space for someone from the farm jumping up..

2 minutes ago, NoHeart said:

Only in Vancouver would people give a crap about a useless bust like Vasily Podkolzin. You don’t think they called around the league? This guy has shown absolutely nothing so you get nothing in return. Good riddance. 

Maybe I’m guessing here but I’d think people in different cities are also passionate about their teams

Edited by Devron
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Wing said:

Honestly I do not know if Pods would work out. I think some of us are putting a lot of faith in him because we all want him to be become something more based on his draft position, plus our love for the guy like Kuzmenko. A 4th round pick is not the best but it is probably his value now.

HOWEVER, why Edmonton? None of the other 30 teams are interested? Seems like Edmonton is collecting former high round picks to make their prospect pool look better than it is.  

It seems like there has been to be something more as well, but this could just be us freeing up a space for someone from the farm jumping up..

I would imagine that maybe Edmonton was not their first call but close to their last…the market spoke and said “4th rounder”

19 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Pretty sure a team can’t trade a player after matching an offer sheet for one year.

But nobody has matched or signed that offer sheet ?

The offer can be there , but he can be offered another ? Y/ N?

.. and it doesn't have to be the same value?

IF (hypothetically )  the Podz deal was for a 4th and the ability to talk to Broberg and his Camp while he sits on the Offer sheet ..

that’s possible ? Isn’t it ?

Just now, Sophomore Jinx said:

And I simplify it to being neither good nor bad, rather one of PA's necessary moves...

And IMHO, Podz was NOT a "young power forward", he was a neutered, trending downward tweener, who hasn't put it all together in spite of several opportunities.

Podz was quickly becoming like that box of Graham Wafer crumbs that you've been looking at in the recesses of the pantry for years, and you've finally decided that it is not going to be used, so off to the dirt pile with it...(in this case, the dirt pile is the Coilers)

Oh, I hope you realise that me calling it 'dumb' is just my opinion.

I am not a professional hockey executive. 

I assume EDM, doesn't share you opinion though. Unless they were in the market for a neutered tweener on a slide. Strange strategy but it is edm, they are known for daft things. 

10 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

One thing I see mentioned is how we are helping out Edm. I guess I just don’t get it how this player helps them out. He looked terrible n the Canucks last year.

Um.. because clearly Edmonton wants him and thinks he is worth giving some time. Or are you of the opinion that the cap strapped oilers did the canucks a favor by giving a 4th for a 10th overall that just turned 23 two months ago and has at times looked good in both the AHL and NHL and KHL. 

A 4th is nothing. They would have been better off not giving Edm a POTENTIAL win and just losing him on waivers to someone else. But I find it hard to believe there isn't a single team in the league outside the division that would not have taken a flyer on a 23yr old 10th OA for a 4th, 5th or prospect exchange. 

Its a bad move unless it is directly linked to some other secret maneuver.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, Wing said:

Edmonton is doing nothing other than looking for a cheaper roster player that can replace Holloway. Nothing more. They are desperate and need this.

1 minute ago, SilentSam said:

IF (hypothetically )  the Podz deal was for a 4th and the ability to talk to Broberg and his Camp while he sits on the Offer sheet ..

I don't think that is possible. Only options are (1) match, back to Edmonton and no trading for 1 year or (2) onto Sy Louis.... could always negotiate with St Louis.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, gwarrior said:

I guess the writing was on the wall for Podz. Bringing in Sprong probably didn't help his case. But my biggest issue is trading him in the division. Are you telling me NOBODY in the east would take a chance on him for a 4th rounder?

You have to think Edmonton is making this trade to help make a decision on the Broberg/Holloway offer sheets. Rule #1 - never help the oil. Rule #2 - if you break rule #1 you better be bending them over. A 4th seems like a return you might have got elsewhere.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Teams in the east would be. "Who?"

Anybody with a 4th rounder willing to take a chance? I think my biggest worry is he finds chemistry with mcdumpster baby or whine-saitl and he comes back to haunt us.......... alot.

2 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Oh, I hope you realise that me calling it 'dumb' is just my opinion.

I am not a professional hockey executive. 

I assume EDM, doesn't share you opinion though. Unless they were in the market for a neutered tweener on a slide. Strange strategy but it is edm, they are known for daft things. 

Opinions are great, that's why we're here.

And the Coil are fooked right now, so MY opinion is that absolutely they will take a flyer on a "neutered tweener on a slide"

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

You have to think Edmonton is making this trade to help make a decision on the Broberg/Holloway offer sheets. Rule #1 - never help the oil. Rule #2 - if you break rule #1 you better be bending them over. A 4th seems like a return you might have got elsewhere.

This trade make it look like they've made a decision on Holloway. But yeah, I think they could have got a 4th for him outside the division.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, rmok said:

Um.. because clearly Edmonton wants him and thinks he is worth giving some time. Or are you of the opinion that the cap strapped oilers did the canucks a favor by giving a 4th for a 10th overall that just turned 23 two months ago and has at times looked good in both the AHL and NHL and KHL. 

A 4th is nothing. They would have been better off not giving Edm a POTENTIAL win and just losing him on waivers to someone else. But I find it hard to believe there isn't a single team in the league outside the division that would not have taken a flyer on a 23yr old 10th OA for a 4th, 5th or prospect exchange. 

Its a bad move unless it is directly linked to some other secret maneuver.

How did Jake Virtanen work out for them? Listen this happens every year in hockey, one team wants to find a cheap player that needs a change… once in a while it does work out

9 minutes ago, NoHeart said:

We created about 30 pages of discussion in 2 hours when we acquired Emersen Etem. It's what we do. 😆

Edited by nuckin_futz
  • Haha 2
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

No.  They Oilers have to match and keep him for a year or let him go.  And he can't be traded before the decision is announced. 

• Cheers 1