(Trade) Podkolzin to Edmonton

12 minutes ago, XxNaslundxX said:

there is not even 1 semi decent prospect around the league that was available?

Id accept a 6th from carolina/florida over a 4th from edmonton.

Our 10th overal pick shouldnt just be handed to a division rival. Thats just stupid. Even when yakupov sucked they wouldnt trade him for a 4th. 

We had 49/50 roster spots filled prior. We aren't hurting for roster depth imo and I think management would rather kick the can down the road by acquiring a pick instead. Now we have 48/50. Some flexibility on trades and signings down the road. But yeah, seeing him go for so little sucks. But it's better than getting nothing. Might have been scooped on waivers.

Excited for the season to get going. Canucks are going to be an even tougher team to play against next season with the additions of Sherwood, Heinen and DeBrusk.

Podz wasn't going to play a big part in the team's success. If they thought he would, they wouldn't have practically given him away. 

Honestly, not surprised and not concerned.

while he might have been developing to one day be a bottom 6 guy, the reality is, he has been underwhelming ever since he got drafted.  As a 10th overall, I have been waiting for him to show flashes, but all his WJHC showing have been underwhelming, except maybe his pre-draft one.  

Hasn’t prove he could crack the Canucks lineup, hasn’t prove he was too good for the AHL.  And if anyone in the NHL thought he had some kind of untapped potential, they would’ve swoop in.  The fact that no one but a divisional rival wanted to give up a 4th rounder, there is not a lot of belief in him out there.

Could prove us wrong but highly improbable.

For those saying the return is too low.  Consider this, Podz was drafted 5 years ago.  Nail Yakupov, former 1st overall was traded 4 years after his draft for a 3rd rounder and ECHL prospect.

This is management recognizing he won’t make the team and based on discussion he had around the league, other GMs probably figured they could snatch him for free on waivers in a few weeks.  So under those circumstances, I’d say it’s kinda good

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, timberz21 said:

while he might have been developing to one day be a bottom 6 guy, the reality is, he has been underwhelming ever since he got drafted.  As a 10th overall, I have been waiting for him to show flashes, but all his WJHC showing have been underwhelming, except maybe his pre-draft one.  

Hasn’t prove he could crack the Canucks lineup, hasn’t prove he was too good for the AHL.  And if anyone in the NHL thought he had some kind of untapped potential, they would’ve swoop in.  The fact that no one but a divisional rival wanted to give up a 4th rounder, there is not a lot of belief in him out there.

For those saying the return is too low.  Consider this, Podz was drafted 5 years ago.  Nail Yakupov, former 1st overall was traded 4 years after his draft for a 3rd rounder and ECHL prospect.

This is management recognizing he won’t make the team and based on discussion he had around the league, other GMs probably figured they could snatch him for free on waivers in a few weeks.  So under those circumstances, I’d say it’s kinda good

Wow you sound like a robot. 

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Western Red said:

The only remaining question I have is WHY DID WE AID THE OILERS?

Are we getting Kane at the deadline for free? WTF is this?

STL has their nuts in a vice and we just throw them a bone?

Did we aid the Coil? Seems I missed that, didn't know the season started already 😉

I think they added 1M to their already horseshit salary structure, for an enigmatic Russky dough head who may not even work out for them at all...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lemon Face said:

Again playing GM game?What Alvin has to do for you to endorse him????

Honestly though I’ve only been upset about OEL buyout, Big Z and now Podz. So I mean it’s been pretty good. And we played deadly last year so things are pretty positive in Canucks land. But when I see a move I don’t like, I’ll express it 

Pretty gutted about this - that's 3 top 10 picks this core should have had wasted 😕 

I was rooting for Podz as a pick, seemed like the kinda player who could be clutch for us in the playoffs and a real fan favorite.  

Sadly it really wasn't panning out that way. Watched him a few times this season in Abby and he either is like Jake levels of dumb or his heart just isn't in the game anymore. Clear that coach doesn't want any players who can't be relied on to stick to a structure and assignments and Podz just seemed all over the place whenever I saw him, and offensively he wasn't really that reliable either. 

That being said I find it odd that they make this trade now before he's even had a chance at camp. Can only mean one of the following I think : 

1. There's another trade incoming - possibly with EDM - or they badly need the cap space to close another deal probably for a D. 

2. Podz is returning to Russia or some other personal issues are causing him to step away from Hockey for the foreseeable future. Maybe concussion related ? EDM can wait this out and bury him in LTIR maybe - wouldn't make a ton of sense from them, but their position is super complicated right now, so hard to fathom what they are planning other than the obvious with Holloway. Still kinda a dumb move to think that someone they are only trading a 4th for can step into their cup contending team. 

3. Could be he has some locker room issues but no one ever spoke of him in anything but a positive light. 

Dunno - there's more to come tho, I guarantee it. How much cap space does this give us now with LTIR ?

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Sophomore Jinx said:

Opinions are great, that's why we're here.

And the Coil are fooked right now, so MY opinion is that absolutely they will take a flyer on a "neutered tweener on a slide"

Respect, sorry for grinding your gears.

That said. EDM knocked us out, they are the team I want to be better than more than any other in our division.

I dont understand this move. He's young. He's still got time to be the guy we dreamed about, but now for them. 

However, I think Alvin has been great so far.  Therefore I am not too concerned. 

• Cheers 1

The Habs love podkolzin and really like ceci. You'll see both packaged with a 3rd round pick to montreal for future considerations. Oilers will match both broberg and holloway.

4 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

he also mentioned in an interview that he needed more consistent playing time and for mgmt to possibly place more faith in him. Given that RT went to bat for him multiple times since last camp (where Podz looked totally lost) I think Nux mgmt surmised the onus isn’t on them to provide him further opportunities and that he was expected to step up and never really showed he could consistently. It’s too bad about the concussion issue he had because he was looking good prior to and did pick it up afterwards. Unfortunately just has not shown enough and never realized his potential with this org. 

• Cheers 2

Yea,

Podz represents a year of suffering,

Years of early mornings or suffering snow storms on satellite. WJC

Years of watching him in MHL/KHL

Years on Canucks/Abby

We're allowed to ask all questions and sniff around fellas.

Edited by Western Red
  • Cheers 3

Just now, bishopshodan said:

Respect, sorry for grinding your gears.

That said. EDM knocked us out, they are the team I want to be better than more than any other in our division.

I dont understand this move. He's young. He's still got time to be the guy we dreamed about, but now for them. 

However, I think Alvin has been great so far.  Therefore I am not too concerned. 

All good, we're just passionate fans, and as I said I am not concerned about what Podz or any other ex Canuck does once they're gone, I just look on the flip side and dream about our own new acquisitions, like Heinen, DeBrusk, Sprong, and that pesky S.O.B. Sherwood, and what they will do for us, rather than lose sleep over the recent departure...coz IMO there will be great surprises in that lot.

Cheers.

• Cheers 2

Not surprised he was moved because he’s the 13th forward on the team right now who at best is a bottom 6 guy who hasn’t shown the ability to kill penalties nor excel at particular part of the game so the writing was on the wall for him 

little surprised they only got a 4th but that clearly was the best offer from other teams as they saw him as a possible waiver wire pick up during training camp 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Devron said:

Honestly though I’ve only been upset about OEL buyout, Big Z and now Podz. So I mean it’s been pretty good. And we played deadly last year so things are pretty positive in Canucks land. But when I see a move I don’t like, I’ll express it 

I am just worried for your blood presser.Nothing else😇

• Like 1

Podz reminds me a little of Brendan Gaunce.

First round draft choices that were good kids that work hard but had that deer in the headlights look when the got the puck in the slot.

I was pulling for both of them but when you handle the puck like a live grenade too often it's only a matter of time before someone takes your spot.

Edited by Craig Coxe
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Wiener 1

4 minutes ago, grumpyone said:

The Habs love podkolzin and really like ceci. You'll see both packaged with a 3rd round pick to montreal for future considerations. Oilers will match both broberg and holloway.

That better happen awful fast!