(Trade) Podkolzin to Edmonton

5 hours ago, HKSR said:

A 4th from SJS or CHI would have been better than EDM.  Podkolzin in the playoffs might be a real pain in the ass to play against.

They probably would have preferred that too, but they might not have been interested, knowing that he would need to be waived and a potential free pick up. 

5 hours ago, VforVasili said:

Maybe I will just go back to Chucky’s Head to avoid poisoning another player with my support. 

Some of my past “favs”

Matt Cooke

Bertuzzi

Kassian

Virtanen

Time to put an end to that haha. 

With your handle, do we also hold you responsible for Vaive's too-short stint here, and for Linden Vey's signing?

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Snoop Hogg said:

Predictions for next guy jettisoned? 

I say it’s Nils Aman. 

Pretty boring player. If I were to guess I’d say he ends up a AHL/NHL journeymen. I predict lots of waivers in his career. Solid enough to fill a role with injuries. Not good enough to be an nhl Regular 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, canucks curse said:

funny.... that was the knock on him in his draft year, but yet we took him ahead of boldy and caulfield 

I don't remember mental being a con with him around the draft. I can understand people being worried about his offensive upside since he's never really produced significantly, but not that he would get in his own way by overthinking things.

31 minutes ago, Grandmaster said:

This. 

We need to move on. Pods was not going to make our line up. 

I’m sure they tried to get more. They got what they could and the Oilers were probably the only team that offered anything.

At least we now sit at around 3.5M in Cap space with Poolman’s 2.5M LTIR. This means that at around the time of the TDL, it would equate to an 8-9M player that could come our way later. That could turn us from contenders to favourites. 

LTIR doesn’t accrue that way.

This is a trade for the sake of making a trade. Vancouver gains nothing out of this trade. A 4th is a joke. We don't really gain any cap space, but we free up a contract.

While every team is just about ready to screw over Edmonton, we bend over and help out Edmonton.

Not a good move by management at all.

• Confused 1
  • Cheers 3

Just now, PureQuickness said:

This is a trade for the sake of making a trade. Vancouver gains nothing out of this trade. A 4th is a joke. We don't really gain any cap space, but we free up a contract.

While every team is just about ready to screw over Edmonton, we bend over and help out Edmonton.

IMG_1560.gif

• Haha 3

15 minutes ago, Conscience said:

Thanks benning, guy never showed any offense at any level, you dont draft a guy that high because of his motor

Wasn’t Brackett pushing for Boldy too?

Man I swear we would have done better with him as the GM…

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

4 minutes ago, PureQuickness said:

My guess is they flip that 4th for another Lafferty type.

Seems to be their MO.

• ThereItIs 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

My guess is they flip that 4th for another Lafferty type.

Seems to be their MO.

Lafferty played great and ended being a total dud. Podkolzin was given up way too early and the return is poor, especially coming from Edmonton that is tight up on the cap.

Allvin for all the good things he's done has taken a big minus for this trade.

6 hours ago, Johnny said:

Not concerned about losing Podkolzin, but seeing as this looks like their Holloway replacement it should have at least been a 3rd, but because lf desparation could have been squeezed to a 2nd or a 3rd and 5th

Yep - and the weird thing is that we help out Edmonton. Allvin has lost a lot of credibility as a GM with this trade alone. Edmonton was SCREWED by their own mistakes and we bail them out.

1 minute ago, Snoop Hogg said:

I don’t see why we’d do that when we have plenty of bottom 6 forwards already.

We need to upgrade the Center position though.

As long as we’ve got PDG and Aman potentially making the roster theres room for upgrades.

5 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Well, Podz recently did an interview in Russian mentioning his development trajectory, the challenges, his playing time and how he needs more trust and playing time to take his game to new heights. He also recently talked to the media about why Kuz was traded and how Kuz got a fresh start.

He was well aware of his situation and the challenges he faced. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he, himself, actually wanted a fresh start. 

Good take...

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

We need to upgrade the Center position though.

As long as we’ve got PDG and Aman potentially making the roster theres room for upgrades.

Not if Blueger and Suter are slotted where they belong. 

5 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Well, Podz recently did an interview in Russian mentioning his development trajectory, the challenges, his playing time and how he needs more trust and playing time to take his game to new heights. He also recently talked to the media about why Kuz was traded and how Kuz got a fresh start.

He was well aware of his situation and the challenges he faced. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he, himself, actually wanted a fresh start. 

Well, our 'luck' with Russian players continues to dwindle.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

It's that finishing line that's really been the difference. He was always working hard and being responsible, even being involved in the offensive end of things, but really had trouble connecting to score or help others score.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, PureQuickness said:

Yep - and the weird thing is that we help out Edmonton. Allvin has lost a lot of credibility as a GM with this trade alone. Edmonton was SCREWED by their own mistakes and we bail them out.

Lol, we didn't help them out at all. There lots of other $1 mil players that will be available. Better ones in fact during pre-season and I bet he doesn't even play in the NHL much, if at all this year.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I remember that 2019 draft like yesterday. Fans were shocked that we took a Russian but also very excited.

Sucks that this is ultimately what it led to. Add another poor pick to Benning’s tenure.

As for the trade I don’t wanna overreact cause I know we tend to hype our players too much. I just don’t understand trading in the division for a mid round pick. No one else was willing to offer a 4th?

The odds of Podz becoming a serviceable middle 6 winger are much higher than hitting on a 4th round pick. So why help Edmonton, and more specific ally Bowman out? If Podz figures his game out there it’s gonna come back to bite us.

If this is a precursor to another trade it makes sense. In a vacuum this looks like PA and Rutherford were just too eager to make a trade. I get you don’t wanna lose him to waivers but I don’t see how you couldn’t move him for someone like Soderstrom. At least you get another project player of similar draft position in a position of need.

Just a strange move to me.

You'd like to think PA tried all avenues before this...

If they had lost him to waivers folks would have lost their collective minds thinking we should have traded him for a 1st, 2nd or some stud project...

This is the reality...