(Trade) Podkolzin to Edmonton

7 hours ago, 4petesake said:

Which players are on  waivers before today when the decision to match has to be made? Yes they could have brought someone up but who, I don’t see any RWs ready to go and none are making much less than Podz. They’ve got Stefan James and Brady Stonehouse (21 &20) making $800k+.

If all it does is flesh out their roster why is Bowman making the last minute deal? 

For sure the heavy lifting was getting rid of Ceci’s contract but Bowman obviously sees Podz as part of the solution. He has more options this morning than yesterday imo.

I think if it's me GMing it's covering my ass because I'm running out of players to ice a team and money to fit under the cap and now I'm being forced to shop at the bottom of the barrel. The found a guy they identified that might be able to play some fill in hockey and currently has them fielding a roster ... possibly. If not he can be swapped out for something else.

I mean on the other hand they identified a guy who struggled mightily the last 2 years, had a serious head injury just last year, and has 9 points in two years. This is the answer to what was missing for the cup? In my opinion he's the best warm body they could dig up at less than $1.1 mil, in this timeframe. Likely because Allvin had been trying to dump him recently without success so they knew he was available. If he wasn't available there are plenty of other borderline AHL players they could have acquired.

On the other hand maybe Bowman's a genius and he scores 40 next year. 

• ThereItIs 3

3 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

i would gladly lose pdg for nothing then get a 4th rounder for podz if the reason to keep pdg over podz is u can get a 4th for podz and nothing for pdg.. considering the canucks haven't had a 4th round pick that turned into even a fringe player.. canucks have a grand total of 41 games out of the 4th rounders combined since the 90s that's 34 years of drafting. 

Even worse is having 3 high 1st round busts (Podz, Joulevi and Virtanen) within a 6 year period. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, steviewonder20 said:

Even worse is having 3 high 1st round busts (Podz, Joulevi and Virtanen) within a 6 year period. 

And 3 absolute home un dingers not to mention Demko in the 2nd. ill take that trade off. Nobody bats 100%

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

8 minutes ago, steviewonder20 said:

Thats true, but how many teams flubbed 3 high picks (5th, 6th and 10th) in a 6 year period?

Okay for argument sake... would you rather have say... Willy Nylander, Mathew Tkachuk, Matt Boldy or Petey, and Quinn.  So even with failure of Virtanen, Juolevi, and now Podz.... Maybe by shear dumb luck, I still prefer who we have. 

Benning struck out big time or hit massive homeruns... of course... with the caveat that Tkachuk was never going to stay here... and if we had picked Tkachuk he'd made us better right away and we'd wouldn't have had a chance at Hughes or maybe even Petey. 

I do get your point though, and doesn't excuse middling to poor drafting.  Benning was lucky that Detroit and Arizona had even worse scouting and drafting then he in 2018. 

Overall, it looks as if Hughes when all is said and done, may end up being the best player of the bunch... followed closely by Tkachuk, Petey and Nylander.  We couldn't have them all... 

6 hours ago, HKSR said:

Hogs put up 9 points in his 3rd year in 25 games.  Nothing exactly to write home about.  His 4th year he broke out and scored 24 goals.  Let's see what Podz does in his 4th year.

We will see but It ain't happening with us. Hoglander is lucky we didn't have a very strong team 2 years ago, and we were weaker on the wings last year, otherwise the same thing might have happened to him. 

Hoglander did have an amazing end to his season before last and really earned the coaches trust as well. Maybe it kept him around.

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, steviewonder20 said:

Thats true, but how many teams flubbed 3 high picks (5th, 6th and 10th) in a 6 year period?

Next pick after Pod. Soderstrom

Next pick after Virtanen Hayden Fleury

Only Juolevi was a complete miss. And hows MT working out for Calgary? He never wanted to play in Canada anyway. 

But to directly answer your question. lots. How many 1st overalls did EDM have? How many cups have they won? Hows Buffalo doing pretty sure they've been drafting top 10 for over 20 years now it feels like. Arizona who have they picked that was worth a damn? Philly Nolan Patrick, and a bunch of other scrubs, Florida had an awful run too. 

Honestly we pulled some pretty good players under JB especially if you include guys like Mccann, Forsling, Hoglander, Silovs, Tryamkin could have play'd too but chose russia.  

• ThereItIs 1

Everybody arguing about Podz and Hoglander productivity and the opportunities given to them remembers that they’re both wingers who were drafted the same year and had equal shots at making the lineup right? And Hogz earned his spot as a winger where Podz couldn’t… right? Am I taking crazy pills?

Edited by GrammaInTheTub
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Hammertime said:

And 3 absolute home un dingers not to mention Demko in the 2nd. I’ll take that trade off. Nobody bats 100%

Petey and Hughes were our saving grace but for a team that was rebuilding/retooling on the fly/insert whatever dumbass thing Benning called during his reign of error, busting on 3 top 10 picks was absolutely brutal. 

And only Hoglander and Demko to show for our non 1st rounders. Just brutal.

• Vintage 2

6 hours ago, steviewonder20 said:

And the rub is Virtanen almost made the par bar for 6th overalls, and likely would have had he played 400 games, and Podz isn't far off either making his par line from not being a bust, and Podz needs 1.5 seasons to surpass his bust line.   It's not what you hope for, that's for sure.   OJ was the one that was so obvious the crowd itself reacted. 

• Vintage 1

7 hours ago, Hogs and Podz said:

So according to Friedman, he has a sense that there may be more to come after Podz trade.  'A sense' from people he's spoken to, closer to the source.... doesn't want to start a rumor... he's just sayin'.  32 thoughts.  

That guy just throws out bones with no substance and you just fell for it, again. 

6 hours ago, steviewonder20 said:

Funny 85% of CDC worshipped Benning the drafting god for 8 years. Pettersson and Hughes is decent though. So hes good at drafting, but no where great. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Drakrami said:

That guy just throws out bones with no substance and you just fell for it, again. 

Funny 85% of CDC worshipped Benning the drafting god for 8 years. Pettersson and Hughes is decent though. So hes good at drafting, but no where great. 

Fact is he failed miserably with his asset management.   His signings  weren't terrible aside from LE's (Ferland and Poolman honourable mentions).

McAaan, Forsling, Gaudette, Brock, Demko, EP, QHs and Hogs and Gadjovich, Silovs...JV was close to surpassing the bust line, and going on to have a Torres like career but just never put the package together.   Not sure if i'm missing anyone else, typically GMa are looking to add one roster player per draft regardless of where they pick, and hoping for two.   11 (12) is the count ... and he drafted high six times.    The franchise as a whole, has failed miserably at finding anything past the second round since Edler that truly counts, and well 5th rounder Gustav Forsling was that guy.   That's pretty pathetic.    He did hit home runs with Brock, Demko, EP and QHs, and with trading a first for JT Miller.   That was in essence, his draft pick that year.    Adding JT Miller to the mix, things go from probably a little above average (won't truly know for another decade), to pretty darn good.   Too bad we didn't keep Forsling.   Him and Slavin best defensive D's in the league right now, and QHs is borderline generational.   Demko an oft injured but top five goalie now, EP a franchise center with some upside.   Teams doing a lot better then Buffalo.   Who also drafted high over the same span. 

It's also why the team is now about to do some good things.     One can cry about the JB era, and we absolutely needed a finisher...But he did provide Allvin with a solid foundation and nucleus to work with. 

There is a similarity in MG and Allvin.   MG's core was drafted/built by Nonis and Burke (Luongo/Bertuzzi- JT Miller).   Allvin has made one core move, Horvat for Hronek (looks like aces on paper, JB failed to draft and keep a RHD).  

Also there are a few guys in the weeds like Brisbois and Woo.   But every team has those.  

There was a period of time, 3-4 years, where JB did appear to be batting well above average so can't blame the CDC for feeling that way.   I've seen it go both ways, people expecting second rounders to work out more frequently than they actually do.    And slotting in guys Gaunce as a 1000 game slam dunk, and "Hockey God" as a future 30/30 top six guy.    Reality is it doesn't really matter what JB was and wasn't.   The core is all his aside from Horvat who wasn't his to begin with (although was developed under his tenure), who became a 3-4 year younger RHD.

Lekkermaki, Willander and Hronek are the current brass'es hopeful future core.   Just like JB, i'm sure some things will work out, some won't.    Is anyone going to hold Allvin accountable for not drafting anyone?   Context for sure, he's traded away a first already.   Took MG awhile to go there.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

7 hours ago, Hogs and Podz said:

Okay for argument sake... would you rather have say... Willy Nylander, Mathew Tkachuk, Matt Boldy or Petey, and Quinn.  So even with failure of Virtanen, Juolevi, and now Podz.... Maybe by shear dumb luck, I still prefer who we have. 

Benning struck out big time or hit massive homeruns... of course... with the caveat that Tkachuk was never going to stay here... and if we had picked Tkachuk he'd made us better right away and we'd wouldn't have had a chance at Hughes or maybe even Petey. 

I do get your point though, and doesn't excuse middling to poor drafting.  Benning was lucky that Detroit and Arizona had even worse scouting and drafting then he in 2018. 

Overall, it looks as if Hughes when all is said and done, may end up being the best player of the bunch... followed closely by Tkachuk, Petey and Nylander.  We couldn't have them all... 

who knows if we drafted nylander tkachuk boldy we might have drafted later and could have picked up a bouchard dobson instead of hughes and middlestadt necas suzuki norris thomas etc one of the centers after EP. might not be as high ceiling as ep and hughes.. but possibly a way deeper team if we had 4 or 5 instead of 2 

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

who knows if we drafted nylander tkachuk boldy we might have drafted later and could have picked up a bouchard dobson instead of hughes and middlestadt necas suzuki norris thomas etc one of the centers after EP. might not be as high ceiling as ep and hughes.. but possibly a way deeper team if we had 4 or 5 instead of 2 

True.   MT is at least on par with EP as well.   Still you need star power to succeed in this league.   The 82 team made it on character and a lot of good players, none great.   94 and 2011 teams had the star power too.   QHs and EP flexed a bit in the bubble, not as much their second crack at it.    I get what you're saying, the tricky thing is cap too.    JT Miller is one of those draft picks as well.   

52 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Fact is he failed miserably with his asset management.   His signings  weren't terrible aside from LE's (Ferland and Poolman honourable mentions).

McAaan, Forsling, Gaudette, Brock, Demko, EP, QHs and Hogs and Gadjovich, Silovs...JV was close to surpassing the bust line, and going on to have a Torres like career but just never put the package together.   Not sure if i'm missing anyone else, typically GMa are looking to add one roster player per draft regardless of where they pick, and hoping for two.   11 (12) is the count ... and he drafted high six times.    The franchise as a whole, has failed miserably at finding anything past the second round since Edler that truly counts, and well 5th rounder Gustav Forsling was that guy.   That's pretty pathetic.    He did hit home runs with Brock, Demko, EP and QHs, and with trading a first for JT Miller.   That was in essence, his draft pick that year.    Adding JT Miller to the mix, things go from probably a little above average (won't truly know for another decade), to pretty darn good.   Too bad we didn't keep Forsling.   Him and Slavin best defensive D's in the league right now, and QHs is borderline generational.   Demko an oft injured but top five goalie now, EP a franchise center with some upside.   Teams doing a lot better then Buffalo.   Who also drafted high over the same span. 

It's also why the team is now about to do some good things.     One can cry about the JB era, and we absolutely needed a finisher...But he did provide Allvin with a solid foundation and nucleus to work with. 

There is a similarity in MG and Allvin.   MG's core was drafted/built by Nonis and Burke (Luongo/Bertuzzi- JT Miller).   Allvin has made one core move, Horvat for Hronek (looks like aces on paper, JB failed to draft and keep a RHD).  

Also there are a few guys in the weeds like Brisbois and Woo.   But every team has those.  

There was a period of time, 3-4 years, where JB did appear to be batting well above average so can't blame the CDC for feeling that way.   I've seen it go both ways, people expecting second rounders to work out more frequently than they actually do.    And slotting in guys Gaunce as a 1000 game slam dunk, and "Hockey God" as a future 30/30 top six guy.    Reality is it doesn't really matter what JB was and wasn't.   The core is all his aside from Horvat who wasn't his to begin with (although was developed under his tenure), who became a 3-4 year younger RHD.

Lekkermaki, Willander and Hronek are the current brass'es hopeful future core.   Just like JB, i'm sure some things will work out, some won't.    Is anyone going to hold Allvin accountable for not drafting anyone?   Context for sure, he's traded away a first already.   Took MG awhile to go there.  

Good post. Benning was both really good and also horrendous. Both things can be true at the same time. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Lemon Face said:

Cmon.People would say,he couldn't got even late pick for 10 overall.You cant make happy everybody.Something is better then nothing.I am not scared of Edmonton.

Not scared...but more of a fuck them thing for me 😄 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

Not scared...but more of a fuck them thing for me 😄 

I guess it could have been worse, at least it's not Calgary.

I'm bummed Podz couldn't make the jump here, but otoh I like a management group with big brass ones, that try to get the most they can in assets.

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Hogs and Podz said:

So according to Friedman, he has a sense that there may be more to come after Podz trade.  'A sense' from people he's spoken to, closer to the source.... doesn't want to start a rumor... he's just sayin'.  32 thoughts.  

Fingers crossed. After letting this trade percolate for a bit I've come to the conclusion... I still fucking hate it. But this management has given me no reason to doubt them yet, so I'll trust this is part of a bigger picture. Hopefully we see a defensemen coming in.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1