(Trade) Podkolzin to Edmonton

10 hours ago, Beni said:

Would have been nice to see him to to a team that might actually give him some playing time. 

Best of luck to him. 

He'll get lots of playing time when Edmonton waives him and he gets claimed by the Sharks or Hawks. 

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

On 8/19/2024 at 11:05 AM, MeanSeanBean said:

I hate this take.

I've read through all, if not at least the majority of every post in this thread. Many people, myself included have expressed displeasure and disappointment over this trade and Podkolzin's development. A 4th round pick is minimal value for a former 10th overall pick, that is absolutely factual. Getting that type of value for someone who was selected over the likes of Boldy and Caufield is objectively disappointing.

But I don't think I've read anyone whos mind has been shifted due to this trade, declared the dream is over, they have lost all faith in management and the sky is falling. Equating any sense of disappointment or criticism to  catastrophizing is text book toxic positivity and quite frankly ridiculous.

Some fans need to learn to be more accepting of letting people vent about disappointment (within reason) without trying to shame them over it. We're all wasting time on a fucking fan forum for Petey sake, this is supposed to be the place we can rant about hockey.

Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk.

I see what you are saying, but you are not understanding what I am saying. I just mean that people jump on a managements decision based on a deal that was made moving a player that has had opportunity, but never earned a spot. There was no shaming. With the new moves, his chances became even smaller. They made a deal to move a player who does not currently hold a place on the roster (and a slim to chance to change that this summer) who is needing wavers to be sent down. They would have lost him for nothing. Maybe that was the best offer. I am just asking people to be patient and look at the big picture. In my opinion PA has made all the right decisions to this point. Maybe this is a small move needed to make something more relevant happen. We don’t know if that is the case or not. People have the right to be disappointed, but criticizing deals without knowing the facts gets old…… maybe he wasn’t developed properly, and yes, there were better draft options. Maybe criticize that instead of the fact he was traded before he got better? With the current team in place we would have never known because he wasn’t going to get playing time. Sorry if I hurt your feelings, but I am so tired of seeing people ready to jump off of a ledge over moves that actually do make sense in the long run. Maybe this was the best offer they got? We will never know. You have rights to opinions, but HE WAS NOT MAKING THIS CURRENT TEAM. May as well get something for him. 

Edited by Canucks2333

Is Podz really worse than Hamblin? I doubt it. Edm will at worst use him as a 13th forward when Kane is back. 

If they bring up Stecher as 7D and put Kane on LTIR and run with Hamblin and Podz as the 12th and 13th Forward, they have 1m in capspace and can start accruing without even going into LTIR as they'll all fit under the cap. It does give them a slight buffer though if they see that their D won't hold up and they can spend mid to late season to upgrade on D once Kane is back. They'll send down one of Podz or Hamblin to create another 775k-1m and and keep accruing until the deadline and then prob swing for the fences for a top4 Dman at the TDL. 

As much as we'd love to say they're screwed... They're really not. 

The only real risk is whether their D as is is good enough to get them into the playoffs.. Once they make their trades at the deadline, they'll become favorites once again. 

My hope is that they are so far out of the playoffs by Jan running guys like Emberton, Brown and Stecher as 5-7D.

An injury to Ekholm beginning of the season would be very nice. 

• Cheers 1

On 8/19/2024 at 11:05 AM, MeanSeanBean said:

I hate this take.

I've read through all, if not at least the majority of every post in this thread. Many people, myself included have expressed displeasure and disappointment over this trade and Podkolzin's development. A 4th round pick is minimal value for a former 10th overall pick, that is absolutely factual. Getting that type of value for someone who was selected over the likes of Boldy and Caufield is objectively disappointing.

But I don't think I've read anyone whos mind has been shifted due to this trade, declared the dream is over, they have lost all faith in management and the sky is falling. Equating any sense of disappointment or criticism to  catastrophizing is text book toxic positivity and quite frankly ridiculous.

Some fans need to learn to be more accepting of letting people vent about disappointment (within reason) without trying to shame them over it. We're all wasting time on a fucking fan forum for Petey sake, this is supposed to be the place we can rant about hockey.

Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk.

People do have the right to speak their opinions, as I did mine, yet for some reason you felt targeted. All I wanted to get across was people need to look at the big picture before reacting as they do. He wasn’t making the current roster and isn’t waiver eligible. What else did you expect them to do? There are many better players now in the minors that will get opportunity before him. Could they have gotten better? Maybe. Would you rather have lost him for nothing? That is what would have happened. What was meant by my post is, take a step back, look at why these moves happen. Don’t over react. If this made you feel attacked I apologize. That was not my intention. 

15 minutes ago, Canucks2333 said:

People do have the right to speak their opinions, as I did mine, yet for some reason you felt targeted. All I wanted to get across was people need to look at the big picture before reacting as they do. He wasn’t making the current roster and isn’t waiver eligible. What else did you expect them to do? There are many better players now in the minors that will get opportunity before him. Could they have gotten better? Maybe. Would you rather have lost him for nothing? That is what would have happened. What was meant by my post is, take a step back, look at why these moves happen. Don’t over react. If this made you feel attacked I apologize. That was not my intention. 

I just don't know if Podz is that much worse than guys like Aman, PDG etc. 

I would have preferred to let him compete for a spot this camp rather than trading him for a lottery ticket 4th round pick. 

I just don't see how a kid who played 79 games in the NHL as a 20 Yo putting up 26 pts and a +7 and 9th highest scorer on the team all of a sudden forgot to play hockey. 

Even then I loved that his hockey iq was high. He made the correct plays every single time. 

Is not like we were a bottom feeding team that year. I think we finished 10th in the west. 

• Cheers 1

I'm not sure if this has been addressed yet (I don't want to go back and read the whole thread) but it seems to me that Podkolzin never really recovered from that massive concussion he took in the minors.  Sure it sucks that we're only getting a 4th round pick for a promising young player but maybe that's all you get with damaged goods.  He never seemed to play with much intensity after getting called back up, kinda just going through the motions.  I wish him well but sometimes prospects, even good ones, don't pan out.  Or maybe his noggin took a floggin and he never recovered.  GCG!

• Cheers 2

48 minutes ago, Canucks2333 said:

I see what you are saying, but you are not understanding what I am saying. I just mean that people jump on a managements decision based on a deal that was made moving a player that has had opportunity, but never earned a spot. There was no shaming. With the new moves, his chances became even smaller. They made a deal to move a player who does not currently hold a place on the roster (and a slim to chance to change that this summer) who is needing wavers to be sent down. They would have lost him for nothing. Maybe that was the best offer. I am just asking people to be patient and look at the big picture. In my opinion PA has made all the right decisions to this point. Maybe this is a small move needed to make something more relevant happen. We don’t know if that is the case or not. People have the right to be disappointed, but criticizing deals without knowing the facts gets old…… maybe he wasn’t developed properly, and yes, there were better draft options. Maybe criticize that instead of the fact he was traded before he got better? With the current team in place we would have never known because he wasn’t going to get playing time. Sorry if I hurt your feelings, but I am so tired of seeing people ready to jump off of a ledge over moves that actually do make sense in the long run. Maybe this was the best offer they got? We will never know. You have rights to opinions, but HE WAS NOT MAKING THIS CURRENT TEAM. May as well get something for him. 

This is a reasonable take. He wasn't making this team. The team was leaping forward getting better and his development wasn't keeping pace. Guys were passing him in both ABBY AND THE BIG CLUB.

He had five years with us. It was time to move on and give him a fresh start. 

• Like 1

People need to understand that this team's floor and threshold for making the team is much higher than it was in 2019. That means we're getting better and becoming deeper. At the end of the day, it's putting our prospects to the test, forcing them to raise their games and reach higher to play to their potential. The standard is higher, which is what we need to be a top team.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Canucks2333 said:

Podz was a popular player in Vancouver and there are many fans who are disappointed by the trade. 

I don't think the workings of the trade or Podz inability to make the team makes in difference to their

disappointment.  Outside this forum, I think there are a lot of fans that are feeling this way.  It will pass

in time; especially if he fails to make the NHL.

The thing that bothers me the most, is the growing # of top draft picks that have not turned into

NHL players.  During all those years of horrible seasons, the Canucks failed at building a solid group

of prospects, by trading away draft pics and bypassing better selections at the drafts.  I know this

is due to past management, but it still burns just as strongly.

I'm glad the hockey minds who know things I have no idea about (nor really care about) have explained why this makes sense.

OK, I get it.

But I still think we'll be sorry. I don't think we've seen Podz blossom into what he probably will. I hope I'm wrong. 

It takes some players more time to develop/learn the game here. Especially with language barriers. I just hate that it was a small sample size, that's all. The "what could be" stuff has bit us in the past.

But....I get it. There was a reason and I'll accept it. Just HATE that it's the Oilers.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

The thing that bothers me the most, is the growing # of top draft picks that have not turned into

NHL players. 

It's not good. Imagine the depth and assets the organization would of had if Jake, OJ, Pods worked out. You can throw a lot of second round picks into the failed mix as well. Ugg.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Fingers crossed. After letting this trade percolate for a bit I've come to the conclusion... I still fucking hate it. But this management has given me no reason to doubt them yet, so I'll trust this is part of a bigger picture. Hopefully we see a defensemen coming in.

Haha, yeah it's a tough situation considering all the angst here. Now people are getting me worried. 🤒 😄 I was of the conclusion he was already gone based on the landscape and the competition he was against. Simply 15th on the depth chart for me. He has been extremely underwhelming in his last 2 seasons.

But damn, that would just suck if he actually suddenly put it together in Edmonton. Like really suck lol. I'm with management though and I get the pure logic of the decision. They probably asked RT too and he said he'd rather have and would play PDG ahead of him. One thing I've noticed in the last decade or so run is that if I was coaching I would usually prefer to side with the younger homegrown prospect. I think a lot us here on CFF would. However NHL coaches generally don't give a crap about development in comparison to winning.

The thing that sucks is I don't want to cheer against Pods so I'll keep an open mind. I hope he just completely bombs in Edmonton, gets waived and then resurrects a career a couple years down the road which justifies our actions.

Unless we somehow get a young impact cost controlled dman I'm comfortable with what we've got for now. I would like to trade Poolman's contract, along with PDG and then bring up a player not subject to waivers so we can accrue cap.

12 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

We will see but It ain't happening with us. Hoglander is lucky we didn't have a very strong team 2 years ago, and we were weaker on the wings last year, otherwise the same thing might have happened to him. 

Hoglander did have an amazing end to his season before last and really earned the coaches trust as well. Maybe it kept him around.

This is a really good point. Like I mentioned above, our floor for making tne team is higher than it was only two years ago. He's been able to keep pace as the team improves. 

Goes to show how timing also plays a role. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

17 hours ago, Nucker67 said:

I think some are considering Podkolzin as a #10 overall pick who was going to be a star. Unfortunately, there are a lot of former top 10 picks that have been busts. It happens to many teams, if not all of them. It's too bad, I had high hopes for Podz too. He wasn't good enough to crack the Canucks lineup, but Lekkerimaki will be. Good times ahead.

I'm expecting another trade, Canucks are gonna kick some butt next season. 

When you posted this yesterday, I looked up the #10 picks from years past past out of curiosity. It does put things into perspective. It happens to many teams. Stings even more after Juolevi and Virt.

Like others have said, I just wish we had've dealt him to another team. It would be a bit easier to digest. 

25 minutes ago, Rocket-68 said:

With respect to the sudden departure of Podkolzin, actually, to be sincerely honest in my humble opinion, without being judgmental and of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, and without lies to the actual truth, with my clear open mind and clean heart, expressing what ever is embedded inside me for a long time which I didn't say because I was nervous. But today by gathering all the courage and motivation, I just want to say that I actually feel and think that I have absolutely nothing to say. Thank you! Further bulletins as events warrant.

image.jpeg.912ee9fdba215b660a9866896ecf1d3d.jpeg

GO CANUCKS GO!

Those traps 

• chaos 1

38 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

I'm glad the hockey minds who know things I have no idea about (nor really care about) have explained why this makes sense.

OK, I get it.

But I still think we'll be sorry. I don't think we've seen Podz blossom into what he probably will. I hope I'm wrong. 

It takes some players more time to develop/learn the game here. Especially with language barriers. I just hate that it was a small sample size, that's all. The "what could be" stuff has bit us in the past.

But....I get it. There was a reason and I'll accept it. Just HATE that it's the Oilers.

Perfectly stated Deb.... if Podz was known to have character issues or too small or low motor or low hockey iq, then I'd be fine with this trade but everything we've heard about Podz over the last 5 years, non of those flaws were brought to our attention.  So yah, I'm uneasy with this trade.  Though I understand business is business, this could very easily come back to bite us in a season or two.  Though I hate to say it, Edmonton took a really good gamble on Podz, for essentially zero risk and pennies on the dollar to aquire. 

50 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

OK, I get it.

I hate the Oilers so much I would have taken the Waivers option if Podz didn’t make the team. As a passionate fan I stand by that 

• ThereItIs 1

17 hours ago, Lemon Face said:

98% vs 2%.there is some logic there.dont you think?

Normally when a trade is announced it makes some sense to people. You don't usually have the significant majority thinking it's a bad trade. Of course it may make sense later if / when management explains it or another trade happens where Podz is replaced.

2 hours ago, Canucks2333 said:

Good post and description. Obviously all the minds involved in the decision looked at it and all concluded he simply wasn't a strong candidate to add something useful to the team. I get that he might have looked better in camp but we also should trust this management to make these decisions after their pro scouting record to date. I mean it's a tough decision, but it's been made. Lots of hockey players simply don't perform as expected and every one of them has an expiry date. This one was pulled off the shelf after what I'm sure was very careful deliberation by those in charge.

1 hour ago, CanucksJay said:

I would have preferred to let him compete for a spot this camp rather than trading him for a lottery ticket 4th round pick. 

I just don't see how a kid who played 79 games in the NHL as a 20 Yo putting up 26 pts and a +7 and 9th highest scorer on the team all of a sudden forgot to play hockey. 

Even then I loved that his hockey iq was high. He made the correct plays every single time. 

Is not like we were a bottom feeding team that year. I think we finished 10th in the west. 

Aman is a center and also a important and good PKer. He is far more valuable then Pods. He becomes the 4th line center if any of Petey, Miller, Blueger, or Suter gets injured, or Suter moves to the wing for any reason. He's not going anywhere unless we bring in another center. PDG definitely outperformed Pods last year and added value to the team. Pods added nothing. PDG is not overly great in my mind but it seems the coaching staff think he's noticeably better than Pods.

I have no problem with the fourth round pick at all, That's what a completely stalled prospect is worth. Actually, we probably did better than we should have. He's not worth much of anything right now. I love that this management cares enough to move the team forward unlike Benning who was content to just let assets walk away. We need every little edge we can get and we should by hyper vigilant imo. Winning the Cup is extremely tough, as are these decisions.

I don't know either but it has looked like he forgot how to play hockey. His one decent season was years ago and he's done nothing at all in the last 2 years. When he did play he was just there. A passenger who accomplished nothing, although to his credit played well enough positionally and defensively to not get caved in.

1 hour ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

This is a reasonable take. He wasn't making this team. The team was leaping forward getting better and his development wasn't keeping pace. Guys were passing him in both ABBY AND THE BIG CLUB.

He had five years with us. It was time to move on and give him a fresh start. 

Exactly Doc! There were multiple players passing him and he didn't factor into our planning. You can only give him so much time before you have to move on.

Like you mentioned some players simply need a fresh start. I think that is often the impetus which ultimately kicks a lot of them in the ass and pushes them to figure it out. One thing people should consider is that those coaches/FO see them every day at practice, know their routine, training, communications, ect. Most of us really don't see any of that.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

Did you watch him at all last year? Huge regression. Only 2 pts in 17 games or something... Zero goals. 

He is just like Jake Virtanen. Has all the pieces to be an elite player, but none of the pieces fit together. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

It's definitely a what have you done for me lately sort of deal with tweeners.  Look at Linden Vey, Adam Gaudette etc.   Or JV.    Podkolzin didn't manage what they did ... Goldobin with EP...

20 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

Did you watch him at all last year? Huge regression. Only 2 pts in 17 games or something... Zero goals. 

He is just like Jake Virtanen. Has all the pieces to be an elite player, but none of the pieces fit together. 

JV had a higher ceiling and better tools.   Podz appeared to have a better floor, a guy capable of carving out a career as a bottom six specialist.