(Trade) Podkolzin to Edmonton

4 hours ago, XxNaslundxX said:

Would we have been allowed to send podz to the minors before the regular season started and avoid putting him on waivers? I do this in nhl franchise mode. Or is it different irl?

He would need to pass through waivers. Best chance would be to time it when lots of GMs are waiving players for the regular season roster. He'd proudly still get claimed though. 

He's really not a risky project. He will be a bottom 6 in this league for years to come. Only question is, will he ever hit his upside potential and that is dwindling... 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I didn't see it that way. Even as a rookie, I always saw Podz make the right safe play. Just 3 seasons ago, I thought he had the 2nd highest hockey IQ on this team after Petey. Never gambled, took what was there was always on the better side of the matchup.. Most of the time, the matchup was a stalemate but if a scoring chance was created, his line would usually be the one creating that chance rather than the opposing line. 

Decent skater who plays slow. That’s an iq issue. He processes too slow. He gets waived by the Coilers. We stole a fourth. 

3 hours ago, Mrwipeout said:

Well, i thought he had potential remembering his first year here. Im guessing patience ran out due to lack of evolution and they wanted to make space. 4th is not good value though. 

Hard to grow as a prospect when the organization keeps on signing 3rd line grinders or fringe 20 goal scorers over you. Or when you are called up you are given 8-9 minutes a game and told to play responsible defensive hockey. Not saying which side is wrong here, but just stating the facts. 

• Cheers 2

Had a few days to digest it and still don’t like this deal. 
I can accept that the best we could get was a 4th, not willing to accept that a 4th and helping Edmonton out was reasonable. 
A 4th is about 10% chance of getting a NHL player and that says nothing about quality, I don’t think helping Edmonton out is worth a 4th. 
Could we not have got a 5th or 6th from a rebuilding team like Chicago or SJ?  
Maybe PA sees a player that can’t adjust and thinks if anything he holds Edmonton back as a 4th liner who doesn’t PK or PP. 

Edmonton looks significantly worse to me at least for playoffs. Their D is thinner, they are smaller and slower up front.  Skinner and Arvidson may help them outscore their issues in the regular season but if they can’t find some way to get Kane back in that foreword lineup is a mess and will get pushed around especially when the refs put away the whistles in the last 2 rounds. Their PK has taken a big hit too. If the Knob coaching bump falters they could be middling. 

Edited by DrJockitch

1 hour ago, Drakrami said:

Hard to grow as a prospect when the organization keeps on signing 3rd line grinders or fringe 20 goal scorers over you. Or when you are called up you are given 8-9 minutes a game and told to play responsible defensive hockey. Not saying which side is wrong here, but just stating the facts. 

Considering he got a lot of time with Tocchet and has had multiple opportunities in the NHL, I don't think that completely applies to Podz. We definitely did bring in some extra middle/bottom six hours this offseason, but I think in past seasons he had opportunity in the roster to put his stamp on things if he had shown the ability to do more than just be reliable defensively. 

I don't think Podkolzin was ever obviously out of his depth like one sees with some prospects or call ups, but he never differentiated himself either.

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Hope the fourth round pick turns out for us. Would a third have been better, a bigger chance of success?  Who knows?  None the less, we should have

got at least that for a player that has played NHL hockey well at times. If I had to guess, the Canucks want to bring in their new young, highly rated

players and let them have at it in Abbotsford. No room for Podkolzin..

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

Decent skater who plays slow. That’s an iq issue. He processes too slow. He gets waived by the Coilers. We stole a fourth. 

Ima saving this quote for mid season. Coach is old school and sees our window is the next 2 seasons. No kids, no Commies and especially no Commie kids for Tocc.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, DrJockitch said:

I can accept that the best we could get was a 4th, not willing to accept that a 4th and helping Edmonton out was reasonable. 
A 4th is about 10% chance of getting a NHL player and that says nothing about quality, I don’t think helping Edmonton out is worth a 4th. 
Maybe PA sees a player that can’t adjust and thinks if anything he holds Edmonton back as a 4th liner who doesn’t PK or PP. 

Edmonton looks significantly worse to me at least for playoffs. Their D is thinner, they are smaller and slower up front.  Skinner and Arvidson may help them outscore their issues in the regular season but if they can’t find some way to get Kane back in that foreword lineup is a mess and will get pushed around especially when the refs put away the whistles in the last 2 rounds. Their PK has taken a big hit too. If the Knob coaching bump falters they could be middling. 

How, exactly does trading Podz to the Coilers help them? It’s highly likely the Soilers waive Podz. We pretty much stole a fourth round pick. 

Honestly. I think it was Green that broke him. Every mistake he made he got benched. The guy was playing scared. The shock of going to another team, might give him the focus he needs. The concussions derailed any progression he made. I wish him the best of luck. But sadly it was the right player, wrong draft pick used to pick him. 

The more I think about this, the more I wish Podz put in the work that was required. Instead, he's the family guy, enjoying his pro hockey off-ice lifestyle in NA. We never hear about Podz going beast-mode in the gym or working his ass off to make the team next year. I think he seemed perfectly happy in Abby out of the spotlight and that's not what you want from a former #10 overall pick. 

3 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

The more I think about this, the more I wish Podz put in the work that was required. Instead, he's the family guy, enjoying his pro hockey off-ice lifestyle in NA. We never hear about Podz going beast-mode in the gym or working his ass off to make the team next year. I think he seemed perfectly happy in Abby out of the spotlight and that's not what you want from a former #10 overall pick. 

Work ethic was never the issue for Podz.

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/nils-hoglander-and-vasily-podkolzin-tips-for-their-every-day-extra-work

Head coach Rick Tocchet likes to see some of his younger players putting in the extra work before practice and did not want to compare Podkolzin to his former teammate Jaromir Jagr, but Tocchet certainly appreciates Podkolzin’s work ethic.

“Podzy craves it. You almost need to kick that guy off the ice,” said Tocchet. “He has to find the balance because he will stay out there all day. I’m not comparing [Podkolzin] to Jagr, but in his early years, you had to kick him off the ice because it was actually too much. We have to make sure Podzy doesn’t get too much information because he is at his best when his mind can be free.”

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

11 minutes ago, boziffous said:

Exactly. Podz worked hard and is a decent skater. His problems come from playing too slow. And that’s because of slow processing. He has low hockey iq. He isn’t an NHLer and never will be. 

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

I still don't get why we trade Podkolzin instead of PdG or Aman.

carreer in Van : 
Podkolzin 23y 137gp 18g 17a 35pts, 0.26ppg   <-- our 1st round pick. with a 0.33ppg in his rookie year. 

PdG 30y 81gp 11g 11a 22Pts, 0.27ppg
Aman 24y 111gp 7g 16a 23Pts 0.21ppg

now tell me why we don't got rid of one of those 2, and not held on our new 2 years re signed 1st round pick, even as a 13th forward, ready to step in, allowing him to continue to grow. (he's 23 by only two months).

something fishy, all our 4 russians players within one year...
hope we do something with Kudryavtsev, who seems very promising. 

it was a great offseason, i wanted some canadians on the team and i always wanted DeBrusk since his first trade rumors in Boston, but Podz was my favorite "project", even if i saw him struggled. I always liked his attitude. we need skills AND good spirit on this team.

well... 

Edited by DexM94
  • Cheers 1

The more I think about this, I believe that the Canucks felt that he wasn't ready and wouldn't make the team. They would likely have lost him for nothing on waivers so they made a safe decision to get at least an asset back for him before camp.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, DexM94 said:

I still don't get why we trade Podkolzin instead of PdG or Aman.

carreer in Van : 
Podkolzin 23y 137gp 18g 17a 35pts, 0.26ppg   <-- our 1st round pick. with a 0.33ppg in his rookie year. 

PdG 30y 81gp 11g 11a 22Pts, 0.27ppg
Aman 24y 111gp 7g 16a 23Pts 0.21ppg

now tell me why we don't got rid of one of those 2, and not held on our new 2 years re signed 1st round pick, even as a 13th forward, ready to step in, allowing him to continue to grow. (he's 23 by only two months).

something fishy, all our 4 russians players within one year...
hope we do something with Kudryavtsev, who seems very promising. 

it was a great offseason, i wanted some canadians on the team and i always wanted DeBrusk since his first trade rumors in Boston, but Podz was my favorite "project", even if i saw him struggled. I always liked his attitude. we need skills AND good spirit on this team.

well... 

because nobody came asking for those other players. 

plus, aman is a center and the canucks need centers. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

17 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

It's very true what you say about moving goalposts. One day he's given free reign to make mistakes and grow, play with Petey and Miller from time to time. Then demoted for his own good, then told to work on stuff, all while some other players seemingly get chances he doesn't. Then some bad teams, time to work on your game after a disaster team, a bad injury, a whole slew of new guys, then huge team success, lack of progression, then gone. That's part of becoming an NHL pro though too.

He's a really great guy but I think he has some growing up to do. Who knows how accurate the IKEA tweet is but it makes it seem like this was kind of a surprise to him. It really shouldn't have been. So many of us already had him going out out the door. Certainly he should have seen how tough it was going to be to make it, along with his waiver status, and tenure with the team, he was on very shaky ground.

I think getting married and having a baby and now traded should do that, it just depends if he can turn it on, (I remember us being surprised when after drafting him that the Russians were playing him low minutes at the bottom of their lineup)

Canucks didn't have a spot for him and want to win now, I think they will flip that 4th sometime this year to shore up a position they will need help in as the year progresses, (they don't need to use it right away in case of injuries as well)

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, tas said:

because nobody came asking for those other players. 

plus, aman is a center and the canucks need centers. 

you give up on one of our 1st round pick to keep a guy who never breaks the 20pts plateau just because he's a C ? 
and if noboby came asking, why don't you let them go through waiver if they're not attractives ? 

Edited by DexM94

Just now, DexM94 said:

you give up on one of our 1st round pick to keep a guy who never breaks the 20pts plateau just beacuase he's a C ? 
and if noboby came asking, why don't you let them go through waiver if they're not attractives ? 

because you need extra centers and because getting a 4th round pick in exchange for a player that wasn't going to make the team was more appealing. 

being a first round pick 5 years ago doesn't carry much weight at this point. he didn't make it. he was given lots of opportunity. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

3 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

10% chance in the rest of the league maybe.. 0% in Vancouver in the last 30+ years. We had a combine total of 41 games out of 4th rounders in 30+ years of drafting. That have got to be a record no other team is even close to matching right? Even Vegas have 138 games out of their 4th rounder lol.. I still would have preferred to keep podz over pdg on the roster. I wouldn’t bat an eye if we lose pdg to waivers 

• Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

10% chance in the rest of the league maybe.. 0% in Vancouver in the last 30+ years. We had a combine total of 41 games out of 4th rounders in 30+ years of drafting. That have got to be a record no other team is even close to matching right? Even Vegas have 138 games out of their 4th rounder lol.. I still would have preferred to keep podz over pdg on the roster. I wouldn’t bat an eye if we lose pdg to waivers 

Oddly enough, we seemed to have better luck with 5th rounders (*TWO* in recent history has won a Cup albeit one of them in a depth role but the other played a major role on the Panthers blue line).  Maybe we should've traded down those 4th rounders.😜  And Kevin Bieska was also a 5th round pick 

• Haha 1