(Trade) Podkolzin to Edmonton

The unfortunate thing for Podkolzin was the horrendous concussion he suffered last season in Abbotsford. He was playing the best hockey of his career and it looked like he was finally putting it all together. Then BOOM. Overall, he missed 28 games last season and was mostly invisible in Abbotsford's three playoff games. I'm reasonably sure that his uninspiring performance down the stretch and into the playoffs sealed his fate. Vancouver went out and signed a number of forwards, which you wouldn't do if you thought you had a player in your organization that could make a difference. On a positive note, I'm glad they did it early enough for Podkolzin to adjust to the move. Much better than losing him on waivers the day before the season starts.

• Cheers 1

Just another in the long list of Benning screwball bad picks and decisions that ruined the franchise for a decade.  I still find it hard to believe some people actually supported old Jimbo despite his obvious inability to manage the team. 

18 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Just another in the long list of Benning screwball bad picks and decisions that ruined the franchise for a decade.  I still find it hard to believe some people actually supported old Jimbo despite his obvious inability to manage the team. 

Must he a horrible burden to not only be the only one who could see the truth in real time but to now have to point it out at every opportunity to those inferior intellects whose primary fault was that they loved their team, kept a positive attitude and hoped for the best.

I suppose your work will never be done in this market.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • ThereItIs 1

56 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Looks like JR has had enough of the Russians and cleaned them all out for good.   Our Love/hate affairs with the ruskies happens every decade or so.  Typical canucks script. 

Didn't JR/PA sign a few of themselves? 

57 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

I find the continued support almost as cringe to listen to as the people who are still crying about him 2 years after he’s been gone….. GET OVER IT! 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Jimbo did some bad things but he also did some good things. I'm not here to defend the guy or anything, but your inability to see any good a GM did is no different than the people who can't see anything bad that that same GM did.

Simply put, you're the same as the people who defend JB, just on the opposite side, but no different in mentality.

The reality is, what JB did was somewhere in between. He did some good things. He did some bad things. You can argue he did more bad than good and that I'd agree with, but to say he had an "obviously inability to manage the team" is just plain stupid. That being said, you were always the "sensationalist" type.

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Looks like JR has had enough of the Russians and cleaned them all out for good.   Our Love/hate affairs with the ruskies happens every decade or so.  Typical canucks script. 

Unless we have another Malkin...

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, The Lock said:

Jimbo did some bad things but he also did some good things. I'm not here to defend the guy or anything, but your inability to see any good a GM did is no different than the people who can't see anything bad that that same GM did.

Simply put, you're the same as the people who defend JB, just on the opposite side, but no different in mentality.

The reality is, what JB did was somewhere in between. He did some good things. He did some bad things. You can argue he did more bad than good and that I'd agree with, but to say he had an "obviously inability to manage the team" is just plain stupid. That being said, you were always the "sensationalist" type.

I mean, he did some really bad things. Whiffed on some 1st rounders when he should've hit on them, that's not okay for a professional GM. Juolevi was eh, but Virtanen was not a good pick when we had some other players that were available and on the board. Nylander was on there, and so was Ehlers. Benning passed on both. 

• Cheers 2

57 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I mean, he did some really bad things. Whiffed on some 1st rounders when he should've hit on them, that's not okay for a professional GM. Juolevi was eh, but Virtanen was not a good pick when we had some other players that were available and on the board. Nylander was on there, and so was Ehlers. Benning passed on both. 

I'm not discounting what he did bad. What I'm saying is he also did some good. We have Pettersson, Hughes, Boeser, etc from him and that's just one quick example without even thinking. So to say he was all bad is an outright lie.

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

Definitely whiffed on Juolevi, Virtanen, Eriksson/OEL. Hit on Boeser, EP, Hughes, Demko, hit on Miller trade. That is the core the PA/JR are building around.

1 hour ago, The Lock said:

I'm not discounting what he did bad. What I'm saying is he also did some good. We have Pettersson, Hughes, Boeser, etc from him and that's just one quick example without even thinking. So to say he was all bad is an outright lie.

Yeah, that's true. Still the worse GM in recent history, though. 

If he wasn't, I think he would've landed a job by now. 

• ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Yeah, that's true. Still the worse GM in recent history, though. 

If he wasn't, I think he would've landed a job by now. 

That speaks volumes.  JB put us thru a decade of hell that we're still digging out from.

Enough said!

7 hours ago, The Lock said:

Jim Benning was certainly not and never will be "an in between" GM.   He was a complete failure that hog tied this franchise and made fans suffer extreme pain and agony for years due to his incompetence and poor decision making causing us to miss or fail in the playoffs every year (mostly miss the playoffs).   Under JB not a single player developed in the AHL became an NHL regular, and the last player to do that was Chris Tanev who made his NHL debut back in 2011.  Benning gave away draft picks like flyers and traded young players too early. He did bring in 4 good players but what did they accomplish under his reign?

He should never be allowed within city limits - EVER - again!  He took over in 2014 and it was only this past year - 2024, we finally began to emerge out of the Decade of JB Darkness & Despair.  That's a decade off your and my life!

Edited by RU SERIOUS
  • Cheers 1

I hate to agree with such an extreme position, but Benning was a complete disaster.  
The best and almost only goods move he made was drafting Hughes, which was a complete no brainer, and Petey. 

The guy created the worst team since the 90s and we will be seeing the negative results for years. 

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Well said!    Why he ever picked Jake "The Ripper" over Nylander will be a mystery no one will ever solve.   Ditto for Yo-Levi.   What was going on inside his brain to make such a pick with pretty well the entire London Knights team in the draft that year aside from many other good players and he ended up picking a goddam Fin.

• Cheers 1

Guys, if this were truly the case, we wouldn't have been able to recover from it at all. We wouldn't have been in the playoffs last year and instead would be rebuilding.

Again, I'm not saying Benning was a good GM and I agree that he was more bad than good. I just disagree with the extreme stance of him "not doing  anything good at all". You just have to look at where we are now and how quickly thing were able to be turned around using some of the pieces from the Benning era to see it wasn't entirely bad.

But I get fans will be fans and would often rather cry over spilled milk than look at anything from a balanced perspective. lol

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, D.B Cooper said:

I hate to agree with such an extreme position, but Benning was a complete disaster.  
The best and almost only goods move he made was drafting Hughes, which was a complete no brainer, and Petey. 

The guy created the worst team since the 90s and we will be seeing the negative results for years. 

JT Miller, and Brock Boeser says Hi. Explain on how Hughes and Petterssen if they were no brainers why we got both after 4 teams and 6 teams already picked other players? 

Benning was a disaster for managing players and the cap. But give him a little credit. (Despite some on here who are worshipping Judd Brackett.)

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

JT Miller, and Brock Boeser says Hi. Explain on how Hughes and Petterssen if they were no brainers why we got both after 4 teams and 6 teams already picked other players? 

Benning was a disaster for managing players and the cap. But give him a little credit. (Despite some on here who are worshipping Judd Brackett.)

I did give him a little credit, but all his negatives outweigh the little good he did.   
Benning stinks worse than a dog park garbage can. 

It’s shocking to see somebody try to defend someone who has such a horrible losing record with our club.   
We were a joke in the league with horrible contracts, a bottom of the standings team and no prospects coming.  
YEARS of this. 
Yeah he made 1-2 decent trades. 
Yes he made a couple good picks.  
But a couple here and there doesn’t excuse the mess of a franchise he created. 

7 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

I did give him a little credit, but all his negatives outweigh the little good he did.   
Benning stinks worse than a dog park garbage can. 

It’s shocking to see somebody try to defend someone who has such a horrible losing record with our club.   
We were a joke in the league with horrible contracts, a bottom of the standings team and no prospects coming.  
YEARS of this. 
Yeah he made 1-2 decent trades. 
Yes he made a couple good picks.  
But a couple here and there doesn’t excuse the mess of a franchise he created. 

We agree Benning sucks. Yet the core of this club is all Benning selections. Just let it go. And let's move forward, and learn from his mistakes. 

Fortunately the current executives, are understanding the value of cap flexibility. And are making sure the team isn't fixing holes by creating new ones. 

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Add Demko to the list.

Enough said about Benning, he’s done. But yes there is a current list of good Canuck players still here from his legacy.

God Bless

…and btw, I hope the Oilers try waiving Podz at some time early season and he gets picked off by NJD!! I want to wish him well, but not playing for the Coilers!

Edited by Bretzky
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

But it is okay. Draft picks whiff all the time. To expect anything else is daft. 

Daft I tell ya. 🤣 

Nylander had some serious question marks and Ehlers was always thought to be too small even though he had a high compete and played in all situations. He was my pick.

It's a shame he didn't draft better on those two picks but they were both highly ranked players. It happens all the time, like literally 50% or more. I did throw my remote at the TV when he passed on Tkachuk though.

Edit: It's funny to read some of the comments like we sucked for a decade, omg JB suczzzzz. Like how long have people been watching hockey? It as a pretty obvious path after 20 years of being one of the most wining franchise around.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

But it is okay. Draft picks whiff all the time. To expect anything else is daft. 

Daft I tell ya. 🤣 

Nylander had some serious question marks and Ehlers was always thought to be too small even though he had a high compete and played in all situations. He was my pick.

It's a shame he didn't draft better on those two picks but they were both highly ranked players. It happens all the time, like literally 50% or more. I did throw my remote at the TV when he passed on Tkachuk though.

Edit: It's funny to read some of the comments like we sucked for a decade, omg JB suczzzzz. Like how long have people been watching hockey? It as a pretty obvious path after 20 years of being one of the most wining franchise around.

As much as a lunkhead Jake Virtanen was. We got over 300 games from him.

- 1986 1st round 7th overall. Dan Woodley. 5 NHL games 

- 1989 1st round, 9th overall, Jason Herter, 1 NHL game

- 1992 1st round 21st overall, Libor Polasek, No NHL games

- 1996 1st round, 12th overall, Josh Holden, 60 NHL games

- 2000 1st round, 23rd overall, Nathan Smith, 26 NHL games 

- 2007 1st round, 25th overall, Patrick White, No NHL games 

- 2011 1st round,  29th overall, Nick Jensen, 31 NHL Games

The sad thing for Vancouver in its history over a 30 year span that's better than 23% rate of messing up first round picks. 

Brock Boeser is one of the best later round picks the team has had (Along with Kesler). 

Edited by Ghostsof1915
  • Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

Petey and boeser were good picks i wouldnt have made. I was leaning towards glass. 

Hughes was an obvious pick lol. I was cheering and laughing when detroit missed. 

Virtanen and juolevi were bone headed safe and feel good picks. I would have picked sergachev and nylander as the bpa

i get it when people say he hit big and thats why hes not a horrible gm. however me as a regular dude with zero hockey ops experience could have done just as good if not a bit better on the drafting front.