(Trade) Podkolzin to Edmonton

Just now, JeremyCuddles said:

Funny thing is, Podz could be their Joshua. Not in terms of play, but in terms of finally clicking. We'll see what happens. It wouldn't be so scary if we sent him East. Sending him to Edmonton is where it gets frightening. The odds of him clicking is low, but it's not zero imo.

But it’s objectively not much higher than 10 either 

Podkolzin has never been the same since he took a beating by a bruin player a while back. He was also knocked right out by a brutal headshot while playing in Russia. He then had another concussion in Abby. Add our newly added depth and the writing was on the wall. No need to crap on him though.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

I mean it’s a 4th or for free on waivers. They obviously don’t think he sticks on the depth chart. We have a decent forward group. 

Pods with his concussions and lack of showing last couple seasons severely devalued himself. 

it is what it is. Y’all can think leadership effed up, but I don’t think I’d have given him a spot that someone else is occupying. 

3 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Funny thing is, Podz could be their Joshua. Not in terms of play, but in terms of finally clicking. We'll see what happens. It wouldn't be so scary if we sent him East. Sending him to Edmonton is where it gets frightening. The odds of him clicking is low, but it's not zero imo.

Very true. Joshua was a few years older 

17 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

I always thought the trade rule went both ways, logically it should 

Truthfully, I am not 100% sure but logic would dictate that St Louis paid the monies, bought the asset and they should be able to do whatever the hell they want afterwards. What if Bro-Job turned into a giant turd of a d-man, should St Louis be prohibited from jettisoning him into the sun for 1 year AND forced to carry a deadweight on their cap? 

As usual, someone more knowledgeable will come along soon enough to wax eloquently on their vast knowledge on the ins and outs of the business of NHL trades, cap, offer sheets, etc. 

Edited by Rocket-68
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, JeremyCuddles said:

I'd contend that both teams know where they stand after that series(if both are healthy, it's close). So then it might come down to whose summer additions are more impressive. I like what PA & JR did there.

Now they're basically tossing Benning's remaining junk overboard, & it might even facilitate a better deal over these next coupla days.

5 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

But it’s objectively not much higher than 10 either 

Still better odds than a 4th rounder is my guess. But yeah. We had no place for him anyway. Especially after we added Sprong. I was pretty high on him, so I think that might be inflating my worries about him breaking out for them.

• Cheers 1

47 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

You can only live off of 10th overall pick for so long. Draft +5/6 nah you’re just a replacement player/plug by now 

that is the problem fans and GMs have no patience...Forsling sure looks good, McCann is a goal scoring NHLer. Thats right tho we got Gudbranson and Clendenning in return helped us so much!

• Confused 1

28 minutes ago, SuchaNuxtalgia said:

Must be a follow-up deal in store?...

EDM: Kulak

Van: Poolman, (Juulsen, Woo or Brisebois..take 1)

Then Edmonchuk might swing another deal like this for Ceci, perhaps out east. Their D should be a mess this season.

edit: Intent would be for EDM to keep Broberg. Podz would likely fill Holloway's slot

Hard pass, help them even more no thanks

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

Podkolzin to replace Holloway is still a downgrade for Edmonton and they’re still in cap hell. 

How can you be so sure of that without seeing Podkolzin play a single shift with the Coilers...can you predict the future, lets split the lotto max jackpot just send me the winning numbers in a PM!

7 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

.. nah,  it’s still gonna hurt .

Saying his floor is Mark Stone tells me what kind of person that person is (ie. the gross over-exaggerator)

That being said, I'm a little baffled of this trade but maybe there's more to this than we realise at the same time.

• Cheers 2

11 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

.. nah,  it’s still gonna hurt .

Just now, The Lock said:

Saying his floor is Mark Stone tells me what kind of person that person is (ie. the gross over-exaggerator)

That being said, I'm a little baffled of this trade but maybe there's more to this than we realise at the same time.

That, plus if "elite defense" was his calling card, I definitely didn't see it while he was playing for us.  At least not for most of his time during the regular season in the NHL and definitely not consistently.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Yeah was gonna say the same. I hate the trade but wtf is that guy smoking 🤣

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Task said:

I hate this. Been rooting for Podz. We have very few prospects to root for anymore 

There is a team just down the road called the Abbotsford Canucks, perhaps you have heard of them. Are some gems (hopefully) on that squad to root for plus a couple more perculating away on other teams. 

Edited by Rocket-68

11 minutes ago, Viking said:

How can you be so sure of that without seeing Podkolzin play a single shift with the Coilers...can you predict the future, lets split the lotto max jackpot just send me the winning numbers in a PM!

Reminder.You are not employed by hockey team.Aqua man i am staring at you.You dont know the reason why he is traded,and traded to Edmonton?To say that GM who won on every level,dont understand concept of trading with rival GM is idiotic at finest. Are you AntonyG burner account maybe????When you learn reasons for this trade in next week or so,be my guest and shit as much you want.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

That, plus if "elite defense" was his calling card, I definitely didn't see it while he was playing for us.  At least not for most of his time during the regular season in the NHL and definitely not consistently.

All I ever noticed was a player scared to make a mistake, always tentative, late to the play. When he did have time and space it was like he was trying to calculate how to make sure he didn't turn the puck over? I swear he could have a clear shot on net form the circle and pass it to the corner boards so a teammate could go tie it up.

In moments where he could drop the shoulder and drive the net he would hesitate just long enough for the D-man to have time to angle him off, or hassle him enough that it would turn into a chip on net not a true chance.

Edited by Supreme17

Cap is King.

We can pivot off Podkolzin and look for a PMD. 

Always liked Podz, wish him the best. I just hope he doesn’t end up injuring any of our guys. Would have preferred him dealt almost anywhere else.

Canucks history with Russian players.

Starting with Larionov and Krutov. Larionov was great when we first got him and quickly jelled with Bure. He helped Bure win the Calder but in the 92-93 playoffs he made a mistake against the Oilers and turned the puck over at his Blueline.  Not sure of the details as to why he left, something about him not wanting the Canucks to pay a penalty or a fine to Russia for signing him? So he signs with the Redwings.  Can someone explain better than me that whole mess? He'd go on to win multiple cups with them.

We had several spectacular seasons with the Russian Rocket but it didn't take long before the media here ran him out of town.  Was he being blackmailed like fellow countryman Mogilny? Did they ask him if his family was in danger? No, they led with the most sensational headline.  "Bure, and his ties to the Russian Mob" such a delicious story is always worth the risk here in Vancouver because doom sells.  So him and shortly after Mogilny were gone. 

We had the Goldobin years and that helped Petey out in the beginning of his career.  Fast forward to Kuzmenko, (it's like the Canucks are cursed) a wonderful rookie season followed by disaster. 

Now Zadorov, Mikheyev and Podkolzin, an endless list of tragedy.  WTAF?  Can't we have a Russian star from start to finish like we've done a dozen times with Swedes?  Just 1?  Smh. THe Canucks Luck with Russian players is Shakespearian.  Like a Greek tragedy.

Edited by Pure961089