(Trade) Podkolzin to Edmonton

1 hour ago, NoHeart said:

0G and 2A in 19 games is going to be hard to replace. 

But, but he did little things....that 700 other players do, and half the AHL as well :frantic:

1 hour ago, RWJC said:

Bad idea. Weaken the team based on hope? Cup contenders don’t pull shit like that. 

No shit, the stench of settling for mediocrity still lingers in this fan base, blinded in seeing that we're finally heading toward being the big dogs...

Not saying Podz deserves a high pick, but we couldn't squeeze anything more valuable out of them knowing the predicament the Oilers are currently in?

This, mixed with the Ceci trade, and now the Oilers can match Broberg and Holloway. The NHL just bent over for Edmonton once again, FML.

1 minute ago, Pure961089 said:

Canucks history with Russian players.

Starting with Larionov and Krutov. Larionov was great when we first got him and quickly jelled with Bure. He helped Bure win the Calder but in the 92-93 playoffs he made a mistake against the Oilers and turned the puck over at his Blueline.  Not sure of the details as to why he left, something about him not wanting the Canucks to pay a penalty for signing him? So he signs with the Redwings.  Can so eone explain that whole mess? He'd go on to win multiple cups with them.

We had several spectacular seasons with the Russian Rocket but it didn't take long before the media here ran him out of town.  Was he being blackmailed like fellow countryman Mogilny? Did they ask him if his family was in danger? No, they led with the most sensational headline.  "Bure, and his ties to the Russian Mob" such a delicious story is always worth the risk here in Vancouver because doom sells.  So him and shortly after Mogilny were gone. 

We had the Goldobin years and that helped Petey out in the beginning of his career.  Fast forward to Kuzmenko, (it's like the Canucks are cursed) a wonderful rookie season followed by disaster. 

Now Zadorov, Mikheyev and Podkolzin, an endless list of tragedy.  WTAF?  Can't we have a Russian star from start to finish life we've done a dozen times with Swedes?  Just 1?  Smh.

I thought my memory was faulty.

Larionov (one of my favourite players, and yes even more than Bure) played in Vancouver for 3 seasons. But had an issue with Sovintersport getting a cut of his contract. Larionov said "Nyet!" and went to play for a year in Switzerland to get out of paying Sovintersport. The Canucks in 1992 left Larionov exposed in waiver draft for San Jose. So they picked him up. (I wish they didn't) 

The bottom line. Podz was given every chance to stick. Maybe Green scared him into not making mistakes and that and the concussions played havoc on him. 

I wish him all the best. Because he seems a pretty solid guy and team-mate. Could you imagine the uproar on here if Podz had been claimed on waivers and we lost him for nothing? 

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

16 minutes ago, Guntrix said:

Not saying Podz deserves a high pick, but we couldn't squeeze anything more valuable out of them knowing the predicament the Oilers are currently in?

This, mixed with the Ceci trade, and now the Oilers can match Broberg and Holloway. The NHL just bent over for Edmonton once again, FML.

Well if they match both broberg and halloway they're still over the cap. I guess their hope is Kane on LTIR

Even than I'm positive the Oilers didn't want to spend 7M per season for 2 seasons for these 2 guys with Bouchard and Draisatl needing a new contract

Not ideal for Oilers 

19 minutes ago, Guntrix said:

To be honest, thinking about it, a 4th round pick is better than him getting claimed on waivers. This year, he would have had to go through waivers to get through to the minors and we really don't have the space for him on the team.

This also would have nothing to do with the predicament Edmonton's in. What actual benefit would Edmonton acquiring Podkolzin have towards their predicament? They need to get rid of money. Taking on a contract, that might not even make their team, doesn't exactly do that. My guess is this happens even if those offer sheets didn't happen.

You always have seemed to be the kind of person to not want to see a player walk for nothing. This would be your wish come true.

Edited by The Lock
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

Canucks history with Russian players.

Starting with Larionov and Krutov. Larionov was great when we first got him and quickly jelled with Bure. He helped Bure win the Calder but in the 92-93 playoffs he made a mistake against the Oilers and turned the puck over at his Blueline.  Not sure of the details as to why he left, something about him not wanting the Canucks to pay a penalty or a fine to Russia for signing him? So he signs with the Redwings.  Can someone explain better than me that whole mess? He'd go on to win multiple cups with them.

We had several spectacular seasons with the Russian Rocket but it didn't take long before the media here ran him out of town.  Was he being blackmailed like fellow countryman Mogilny? Did they ask him if his family was in danger? No, they led with the most sensational headline.  "Bure, and his ties to the Russian Mob" such a delicious story is always worth the risk here in Vancouver because doom sells.  So him and shortly after Mogilny were gone. 

We had the Goldobin years and that helped Petey out in the beginning of his career.  Fast forward to Kuzmenko, (it's like the Canucks are cursed) a wonderful rookie season followed by disaster. 

Now Zadorov, Mikheyev and Podkolzin, an endless list of tragedy.  WTAF?  Can't we have a Russian star from start to finish like we've done a dozen times with Swedes?  Just 1?  Smh. THe Canucks Luck with Russian players is Shakespearian.  Like a Greek tragedy.

Bure was signed to a contract in CDN$ and he thought it was US$.  I mean, that's what agents are for but apparently, Bure never trusted Canucks management after that and once he was able, he moved on.  

Just now, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Like Bo being traded...this is a profoundly sad trade for me. Tracked Podz even before we drafted him.

Sigh...I know it's for the best of everyone but I still don't like it.

That's the problem when it comes to attachment of players. Become too attached and, if they don't succeed, it hurts more.

1 hour ago, RWMc1 said:

Podkolzin has never been the same since he took a beating by a bruin player a while back. He was also knocked right out by a brutal headshot while playing in Russia. He then had another concussion in Abby. Add our newly added depth and the writing was on the wall. No need to crap on him though.

He was taken off in a stretcher playing for Abbotsford 9 months ago and it was apparently horrible with Pods twitching on the ice. He wasn't the same after that. 

Edited by Pure961089

4 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Bure was signed to a contract in CDN$ and he thought it was US$.  I mean, that's what agents are for but apparently, Bure never trusted Canucks management after that and once he was able, he moved on.  

Why were the Canucks management at the time so underhanded?  What a cheap way to save a few bucks nevermind the millions he would generate from the fans. 

23 minutes ago, Guntrix said:

I expect that since they moved Ceci and traded for Podz, they keep Broberg and let Holloway go 

They're still effed when Kane gets off LTIR.  Maybe he's going to sit until the playoffs 😅

1 minute ago, Pure961089 said:

Why were the Canucks management at the time so underhanded?  What a cheap way to save a few bucks nevermind the millions he would generate from the fans. 

Never understood it myself

3 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

The Griffiths were in over their heads owning the Canucks and Grizzlies.

They had to be cheap because they were running out of money.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, grumpyone said:

The Habs love podkolzin and really like ceci. You'll see both packaged with a 3rd round pick to montreal for future considerations. Oilers will match both broberg and holloway.

Ceci just got moved to San Jose. 

I hoped for the best for Podz, I've been rooting for him since they drafted him but I have full confidence in managements decision. They see the player day in and day out, they evaluate talent for a living and know more about the player than anyone here. Obviously they though he was the most expendable guy on the team so they moved him. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Out:

Holloway

Ceci

In:

Podz

Broberg with more minutes 

Edmonton's arguably worse now, certainly not better if they lose Holloway which seems like they will, just curious why Canucks value the 1 mill in cap in order to "help" edm 

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

The Griffiths were in over their heads owning the Canucks and Grizzlies.

They had to be cheap because they were running out of money.

Combination of the 94 NHL lockout at the same time as building the new stadium downtown and the Grizzlies addition (1st season 95) that conspired to force Arthur Griffiths to sell in 97.  It was all the same period.  I felt sorry for AG at the time.  It might have worked if not for the lockout but he was over levered for sure.  I suspect the new stadium was a contingency for the NBA franchise.

• Cheers 1

A few years ago looked like Podz will finally crack the roster as he was scoring and hitting and playing hard and you can see him improving a lot. Until he was hit hard I forget which team we played against and he stood up for himself and fought that tough guy that hit him and resulted a huge black eye from the fight and a few weeks later he was sent to our farm team and from that point on he never got a chance to come back. I didn't understand why and didn't make any sense at all why he was sent to our farm by coach Tochett.  And we literally gave him away to the Oilers for free because it will be a high 4th pick. I guess our management is not a fan of Russian players lately!!! One of the worst trade ever from Alvin. 

Edited by RolexSub
  • Thanks 2