(Trade) Podkolzin to Edmonton

I can respect that RT and management may have a finger on the Podz pulse enough to say that he won't be achieving what they want from him and moving on allows the team to improve by exploring other options.  I would have thought he'd be worth more than a fourth, but that's business perhaps.  BUT, what I can't understand at all is how they help Edmonton out of this jam......unless there's an understanding between the two clubs that will come to fruition later.  So I wait patiently until the start of the season hoping that there's more to this story.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, German Canuck said:

Why are some guys are saying we help the oilers?

If Podz is their Holloway replacement they are worse than last year.

Podz is a lifetime AHL player or KHL bound.

He cant score he cant play defense and had several concussions.

To get something for him instead of losing him for nothing is a good trade.

To a division rival?

It doesnt matter

Some typical canucks fans:

Lose him for nothing

Why ??????

Get something for him

Why?????

And complain that the canucks trade some draftpicks.

This is Shinkaruk trade or 2.0 

Helping the Oil get out of a jam here with the offer sheets is concerning.  

I was so upset the day that we picked him over Boldy, but at the time I’d hoped that our former management knew something that I didn’t. 

This stings. 

Also I remember Brian Burke gushing about Podz because he was built like a man, and of course the draft before Burke was crapping on Hughes because he was small. Lol! For such a smart guy Burke definitely had his blatant biases. 

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

My condolences

Are you gonna change your username brother ?

Hogs and ??????

Hell no!  Still like the guy... still rooting for him.  A names just a name. 

26 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

If it makes you feel better .... I think you can change your user name to "Hogs and Josh" and it would still sound cool

lol!  yah really rolls off the tongue hey?! 

22 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I'm sorry for your loss. Pods is floundering though, it's sink or swim time for him.

Username change?

Ha. Exact same thoughts.

Hogs and Sprong?

gawdzukes!  eewwww you nasty! 

• Huggy Bear 1
  • ThereItIs 1

14 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

I can respect that RT and management may have a finger on the Podz pulse enough to say that he won't be achieving what they want from him and moving on allows the team to improve by exploring other options.  I would have thought he'd be worth more than a fourth, but that's business perhaps.  BUT, what I can't understand at all is how they help Edmonton out of this jam......unless there's an understanding between the two clubs that will come to fruition later.  So I wait patiently until the start of the season hoping that there's more to this story.

I do think there's more to his story... that will come to light and actually make some fucking sense sooner than later. 

• Cheers 1

If it's true that Podz was talking to the media about how his career is being mishandled and how Kuz didn't get a fair shake, well, you can't have any of those elements in the team.  Teams win by keeping the unity in the room and working out the differences behind closed doors.

Interesting how the quick build-up of Russian players is quickly reversing itself. Not sure if there's a story there, but all three guys seemed decent and it's too bad it didn't work out.

JR and PA have earned our patience and respect.  Let's see what happens here....

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Explain why they help the Oilers?

• Like 3

Looks like Podz was going to be waiver wire fodder so Allvin got the best return he could. Oilers would be way down the waiver order and Podz would be selected well before they had a chance for a claim. Benning, the moran, paid a second rounder in these situation. Was it Vey? 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

Not only that, but he finished 240th in AHL scoring last season. He's not going to become a full-time player in Edmonton. I think he might end up in Bakersfield. Here's everything I know about Bakersfield:

What about the butcher Ben Richards?

• Haha 2

55 minutes ago, German Canuck said:

Explain why they help the Oilers?

They just acquired a near bottom salary player who will help reduce the cap.  They could have done that with many players, but the Canucks gave them a young-ish player who has the ability to outperform his contract.  Podz isn't working out so far, but some players click later than others.  His ceiling is possibly higher than others.

Quite simply, any trade with the Oilers this week is helping them because they are primarily focused on getting past these offer sheets.  It would be silly to think that the Canucks haven't helped them in some way given the timing.

Getting a fourth rounder back.....essentially little value from an NHL perspective whereas Podz has NHL experience where he's shown at times that he can stay up in the big leagues.

What did we gain?  Minimal cap relief is about it....which needs to be a part of a bigger plan to pay off.  Otherwise this trade was stupid as Podz was at least depth with a young player who understood the systems.  New players have to learn them.

19 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Looks like Podz was going to be waiver wire fodder so Allvin got the best return he could. Oilers would be way down the waiver order and Podz would be selected well before they had a chance for a claim. Benning, the moran, paid a second rounder in these situation. Was it Vey? 

If this is truly the best they could get before the waiver wire, fair enough.

35 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

They just acquired a near bottom salary player who will help reduce the cap.  They could have done that with many players, but the Canucks gave them a young-ish player who has the ability to outperform his contract.  Podz isn't working out so far, but some players click later than others.  His ceiling is possibly higher than others.

Quite simply, any trade with the Oilers this week is helping them because they are primarily focused on getting past these offer sheets.  It would be silly to think that the Canucks haven't helped them in some way given the timing.

Getting a fourth rounder back.....essentially little value from an NHL perspective whereas Podz has NHL experience where he's shown at times that he can stay up in the big leagues.

What did we gain?  Minimal cap relief is about it....which needs to be a part of a bigger plan to pay off.  Otherwise this trade was stupid as Podz was at least depth with a young player who understood the systems.  New players have to learn them.

The Sharks help them to free up cap space but the canucks didnt help the Oilers for now.

Podkolzin didnt do anything in the KHL, AHL and NHL.

He had several concussions and is maybe a waver wire for the Oilers too.

His ceiling at the moment is KHL bound and give the Oilers an AHL or at best a bottom 6 player isnt helping them.

Like i said

If the canucks made the deal for Ceci then yes, they helped the Oilers but not with the Podkolzin deal.

Edited by German Canuck
  • Cheers 1

11 hours ago, Tecumseh said:

I blame Jim Benning. The guy can wasted all those high end draft picks all these years.... what a total disaster... good riddance JB!!

Yes thats true

But if i look at the current roster i see it that way and more positive.

Hronek instead of Juolevi

Miller instead of Virtanen 

Raty instead of Podkolzin

THERE YOU GO..I SAID WAY BACK IN THE OLD FORUM..PICK NEWHOOK OVER PODZ..BUT YA NEWHOOK IS OK BUT ALSO BEEN NOT WHAT I THOUGHT BUT AS FAR AS THE RUSSIAN POSZ THATS IT FOR THE RUSSIAN EXPERIMENT..KEEP GOING FOR HARD NOSE WHL STYLE KIDS...

Said one of Hogs or Podz would be traded this summer after we acquired Sprong.    Oh how he mighty have fallen (10th overall for a fourth rounder, OTTs so a middling)... only thing I don't get is why EDM.   Wouldn't want Podz to work out and bite us in the ass.   Of course Podz would get picked up on waivers. 

34 minutes ago, HOCKEYGOD77 said:

THERE YOU GO..I SAID WAY BACK IN THE OLD FORUM..PICK NEWHOOK OVER PODZ..BUT YA NEWHOOK IS OK BUT ALSO BEEN NOT WHAT I THOUGHT BUT AS FAR AS THE RUSSIAN POSZ THATS IT FOR THE RUSSIAN EXPERIMENT..KEEP GOING FOR HARD NOSE WHL STYLE KIDS...

Culls should have picked Newhook.

I understand the asset management part.  Trade him for a pic rather then lose him on waivers.  

What I don't get is the desire to bring in so many UFA players that internally developed players get traded rather then play for the team that drafted and developed them.  I just cannot grasp why they do that.  And as a fan who prefers to watch our young guys develop and succeed, things like this trade reduced my enjoyment watching the team.  

• Cheers 1

People thinking Vancouver is helping Edmonton really had an inflated opinion on Podkolzin. 

Not saying he won't make it as an NHL guy but this seems like a typical trade when an organization wants to move on from a prospect and another team willing to pay market value to take a chance on him.

I don't think it's helping Edmonton but more of a case both teams needing something from each other.

Then again Podkolzin could become Edmonton's new Zack Kassian (and I doubt this team is crying over losing Kassian)

Edited by iinatcc
  • Vintage 1

16 minutes ago, kettlevalley said:

I understand the asset management part.  Trade him for a pic rather then lose him on waivers.  

What I don't get is the desire to bring in so many UFA players that internally developed players get traded rather then play for the team that drafted and developed them.  I just cannot grasp why they do that.  And as a fan who prefers to watch our young guys develop and succeed, things like this trade reduced my enjoyment watching the team.  

Think of it this way ... Canucks failed to develop Podkolzin only to benefit from the organizations that failed to develop Dakota Joshua 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Podz needs to clear waivers. 

2 hours ago, Hogs and Podz said:

I do think there's more to his story... that will come to light and actually make some fucking sense sooner than later. 

Podz needs to clear waivers.   Adding Sprong, the team had to make a decision on someone, and like Allvins other trades, wasn't waiting.    EDM kind of blows, suppose it was the only GM who had much interested.    Yes it could come back and bite us, the same way any team picking him up on waivers would.  

• Vintage 3

41 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Podz needs to clear waivers.   Adding Sprong, the team had to make a decision on someone, and like Allvins other trades, wasn't waiting.    EDM kind of blows, suppose it was the only GM who had much interested.    Yes it could come back and bite us, the same way any team picking him up on waivers would.

I wouldn't mind entirely if we ended up with a semi-friendly recurring trading partner in the division like we had in Calgary in the mid-80s to early 90s...  Paul Reinhart, Dana Murzyn, Ron Stern, Craig Coxe, Steve Bozek, Brian Bradley etc.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Like 1