(Trade) Podkolzin to Edmonton

I kept an eye and rooting for this kid since 2019. 
he has more upside than Suter, Blueger, Amà, Karlson, PdG… but Allvin choose to get rid of another Russian for absolutely nothing. 
meh 

Edited by DexM94
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

4 minutes ago, DexM94 said:

I kept an œil and rooting for this kid since 2019. 
he has more upside than Suter, Blueger, Amà, Karlson, PdG… but Allvin choose to get rid of another Russian for absolutely nothing. 

Where did Podz fit into our lineup? 

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Where did Podz fit into our lineup? 

I would have keep him as a 13th if he failed to break the roster at camp.. We were already cap compliant. 
first guy to replace a winger when injuries occur. 
tell me why we keep Aman or PdG. Even Suter had his chance on top 6 for a long time… 
i wanted to see a DeBrusk Petey Podz line. 
The guy cost us 1M… fir the next two years. A bargain. And we keep Suter at 1.6…

Edited by DexM94
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, DexM94 said:

I would have keep him as a 13th if he failed to break the roster at camp.. We were already cap compliant. 
tell me why we keep Aman or PdG. Even Suter had his chance on top 6 for a long time… 
The guy cost us 1M… fir the next two years. A bargain. And we keep Suter at 1.6…

Suter is a centre who can play to six wing when needed. Allvin (coaches too) must believe there’s no spot for Podz to win. 

• Cheers 1

People need to be patient. In the past couple of months there has been nothing but praise for our front office and what they have done. There is either something in the works, or they do not feel he can crack the lineup in the near future. Either way, wait a week and see if there is something coming. As always... the SKY IS FALLING IN VANCOUVER!!! Who was he replacing in the lineup? I wouldn't have him in the lineup as it is right now.

Maybe the $1 million is about to be used for something that will help us this year.

Edited by Canucks2333
  • Confused 1
  • Cheers 4

6 hours ago, aGENT said:

Clear cap? Waiving him would clear just as much cap. Contract spot? Sure! For who? Kind of my point. On its own, it's a bit of a question mark. There needs to be a follow up move on this to make much sense.

I suppose it positions us for a pto. Maybe Shultz?

I like Podz and was hoping he’d find his groove. But no huge loss here at the end of the day.

I actually have no issue with this, even if my initial reaction was WTF. I got over it in less than a minute

🙂

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

7 hours ago, Sneakystink said:

I agree but he had loads of potential and it just didn't show up. I think it was a good calculated move to just get something out of it

He was 22yo just 2 months ago.  If he is 25yo now I'd agree, but this is a bit too soon to be making that conclusion.  We could have said the same about Hoglander after his first 3 years of NHL hockey too.

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

Huh? I suppose waiver ineligible had a lot to do with it. But for a fourth would rather see where he fits in at camp. Oh well. Seems like a great guy but has yet to carve out his niche. Not even close really. He doesn't do any one thing above average really and that may be his downfall. 

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, CaptainQuin said:

Just heard on Sportsnet 650 that FO tried to trade him last trade deadline and no takers , nobody wanted pods .. sorry folks get over it 

If nobody wanted him, then there would be a strong argument that waiving him at the end of summer when there's like 20 to 30 other players on waivers would have likely meant he would have cleared and we could continue to see how he develops.  He was 22yo just 2 months ago.  People talk like he's already 25yo.

42 minutes ago, DexM94 said:

I rooted for Podz too but, hard to say he fit after not fitting the last 2 years.

I think the motivation behind this move is to free up the clutter up front to give guys an opportunity that have been stepping up. Sooner than later Bains, Raty, Lek, Sasson will deserve a shot.

Plus I'm sure the canucks weren't going go accept a 4th if his value was higher. I have a feeling they've had him on the trade block for a while but maybe this is what the league thinks of him. He hasn't really excelled in any one aspect of the game

And on a side note, Aman has a lot of upside. His games not flashy but he could become a Teddy Blueger type. His development has been evident.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, HKSR said:

If nobody wanted him, then there would be a strong argument that waiving him at the end of summer when there's like 20 to 30 other players on waivers would have likely meant he would have cleared and we could continue to see how he develops.  He was 22yo just 2 months ago.  People talk like he's already 25yo.

Most likely the front office knows a little something more than us on why they don't think he'll develop. 

On paper he should have more value but, he doesn't appereantly.

Posting from the beach in Spain. Was happily taking a break from hockey but here we go.

its a shame it didn’t work out for Vasili in Vancouver. I don’t think he was making the roster this year or next year sadly. 

Maybe there’s another move in the works but I’m fine with FO just letting the guy try to compete for a nhl roster spot somewhere else 

• Sad 1
  • Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Rekker said:

Huh? I suppose waiver ineligible had a lot to do with it. But for a fourth would rather see where he fits in at camp. Oh well. Seems like a great guy but has yet to carve out his niche. Not even close really. He doesn't do any one thing above average really and that may be his downfall. 

I'm more just disappointed that Podz couldn't make the next step more than anything. Edm will be worse thanks to st Louis so I don't really care about that part.

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, kettlevalley said:

I understand the asset management part.  Trade him for a pic rather then lose him on waivers.  

What I don't get is the desire to bring in so many UFA players that internally developed players get traded rather then play for the team that drafted and developed them.  I just cannot grasp why they do that.  And as a fan who prefers to watch our young guys develop and succeed, things like this trade reduced my enjoyment watching the team.  

Canucks are trying to win but I understand your take. Hometown hero will always be my preference as well.

Sherwood, Heinen, and Sprong are better hockey players than Vasili. I’d rather carry Aman or Karlsson as the 13th guy. 

Petey, Hughes, Boeser, Demko are all Canucks draft picks. That’s 4/5 of the Canucks core. 

Hes been surpassed and pushed down the depth chart. 

• Vintage 1

23 minutes ago, bh90 said:

I rooted for Podz too but, hard to say he fit after not fitting the last 2 years.

I think the motivation behind this move is to free up the clutter up front to give guys an opportunity that have been stepping up. Sooner than later Bains, Raty, Lek, Sasson will deserve a shot.

Plus I'm sure the canucks weren't going go accept a 4th if his value was higher. I have a feeling they've had him on the trade block for a while but maybe this is what the league thinks of him. He hasn't really excelled in any one aspect of the game

And on a side note, Aman has a lot of upside. His games not flashy but he could become a Teddy Blueger type. His development has been evident.

Podz was our 1st round pick. Not Aman, 

you just signed him for a really good price some months ago… there was no rush at all to trade him, especially for nothing. 

• ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, DexM94 said:

Podz was our 1st round pick. Not Aman, 

you just signed him for a really good price some months ago… there was no rush at all to trade him, especially for nothing. 

Yep and the worst part about this is that Edmonton can take on the 3rd round pick as compensation for Holloway. We essentially helped out our division rival big time and let them keep Broberg. Ceci is kind of a meh player who cost too much, but SJ also helped him out too.

Division rivals sure came together to help Edmonton for zero reason.

• Vintage 1

Obviously the coaches had a big say on moving Podz. That says a lot. If he was prepared to move on if he didn’t make the team in September then trading him was necessary. The roster is prepped for serious Cup play and better players are in place. Podz might still establish himself but not as a Canuck.

7 hours ago, aGENT said:

Clear cap? Waiving him would clear just as much cap. Contract spot? Sure! For who? Kind of my point. On its own, it's a bit of a question mark. There needs to be a follow up move on this to make much sense.

how is losing him on waivers for nothing better than getting a pick for him?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, tas said:

how is losing him on waivers for nothing better than getting a pick for him?

The argument would be that losing him on waivers likely doesn't help out our division rivals at all.  If we are trying to compete in the playoffs, the last thing we should be doing is providing a team like the Oilers more flexibility given how badly they were backed into a corner.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, HKSR said:

The argument would be that losing him on waivers likely doesn't help out our division rivals at all.  If we are trying to compete in the playoffs, the last thing we should be doing is providing a team like the Oilers more flexibility given how badly they were backed into a corner.

Yeah. There's a lot of factors involved and we helped a DIVISION rival (who competed against us in the playoffs!) out of their cap space jam while being unable to shed cap on our own.

The 4th round pick of 2026 is extremely low and this allows the Oilers to walk away from Holloway for a 3rd round pick (2025) while saving $1.29 million in cap space. After trading Ceci, which SJ coughed up a prospect for cap space, Edmonton can now keep Broberg for a while.

Bowman is gonna look like a genius just because two GMs made two bonehead decisions.

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, HKSR said:

letting the oilers have a player that isn't good enough for our team isn't really helping them out. 

I'll take the pick all day. 

• Like 2
  • ThereItIs 1