(Trade) Podkolzin to Edmonton

Just now, tas said:

letting the oilers have a player that isn't good enough for our team isn't really helping them out. 

I'll take the pick all day. 

They can let Holloway walk away and save more cap space than what we saved when we unloaded the pick. It's a crappy trade for us.

1 minute ago, tas said:

your o is kind of objectively wrong though right?

No. He's not wrong. The compensatory pick that the Oilers get is a higher pick than what the Canucks receive from this trade. This hurts the Canucks as we are helping a division rival who NEEDS to shed cap space and they give us a crappy 4th round pick from 2026. 2026. Think about that for a moment.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Canucks2333 said:

People need to be patient. In the past couple of months there has been nothing but praise for our front office and what they have done. There is either something in the works, or they do not feel he can crack the lineup in the near future. Either way, wait a week and see if there is something coming. As always... the SKY IS FALLING IN VANCOUVER!!! Who was he replacing in the lineup? I wouldn't have him in the lineup as it is right now.

Maybe the $1 million is about to be used for something that will help us this year.

I hate this take.

I've read through all, if not at least the majority of every post in this thread. Many people, myself included have expressed displeasure and disappointment over this trade and Podkolzin's development. A 4th round pick is minimal value for a former 10th overall pick, that is absolutely factual. Getting that type of value for someone who was selected over the likes of Boldy and Caufield is objectively disappointing.

But I don't think I've read anyone whos mind has been shifted due to this trade, declared the dream is over, they have lost all faith in management and the sky is falling. Equating any sense of disappointment or criticism to  catastrophizing is text book toxic positivity and quite frankly ridiculous.

Some fans need to learn to be more accepting of letting people vent about disappointment (within reason) without trying to shame them over it. We're all wasting time on a fucking fan forum for Petey sake, this is supposed to be the place we can rant about hockey.

Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, PureQuickness said:

They can let Holloway walk away and save more cap space than what we saved when we unloaded the pick. It's a crappy trade for us.

they turned a player they were going to lose on waivers into an asset. 

2 minutes ago, PureQuickness said:

No. He's not wrong. The compensatory pick that the Oilers get is a higher pick than what the Canucks receive from this trade. This hurts the Canucks as we are helping a division rival who NEEDS to shed cap space and they give us a crappy 4th round pick from 2026. 2026. Think about that for a moment.

I don't care about any of that. the canucks turned a player they were going to lose for nothing in a month and a half into an asset when they haven't been able to up to this point. 

Edited by tas

1 minute ago, tas said:

I don't care about any of that. the canucks turned a player they were going to lose for nothing in a month and a half into an asset when they haven't been able to up to this point. 

6 minutes ago, tas said:

your o is kind of objectively wrong though right?

Subjectively 

• Cheers 1

Just now, tas said:

So why did we help the Oilers? We need to save cap and they end up saving more cap than us. On top of the 3rd round compensatory pick, the Ceci trade allows them to match Broberg. They'll need more space obviously to re-sign their other players, but they're no longer as screwed as they were in the first place.

We didn't screw over anybody.

7 minutes ago, tas said:

letting the oilers have a player that isn't good enough for our team isn't really helping them out. 

I'll take the pick all day. 

I'd agree with you if said player was a 25yo or 26yo vet.  We gave up on a potential powerforward when he was literally just 22yo a couple months ago.  If we gave up Hoglander after his first 3 attempts in the NHL for a 4th round pick because he wasn't good enough for our team at 22yo, how happy would we be after his performance this past season?

All I'm saying is it seems a bit early in Podz career to have just given up on him.  If he was 25yo, I could better rationalize it.

12 minutes ago, PureQuickness said:

The 4th round pick of 2026 is extremely low and this allows the Oilers to walk away from Holloway for a 3rd round pick (2025) while saving $1.29 million in cap space.

I'd take Holloway over Pods all day long. If this is the Oilers game plan, I think they are not better getting better.

Just now, Don Brodka Jr said:

Just don't understand why you help out Edmonton.. Trade him somewhere else for a 5th Rd if you have too! Fuck Edmonton! 

Doesn't a good GM try for the best deal they can? 

What saddens me is that it is quite possible a 4th rounder might have truly been the best offer. It wasn't like Podz was dominating in the AHL or in his time in the NHL. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Rekker said:

I'd take Holloway over Pods all day long. If this is the Oilers game plan, I think they are not better getting better.

Silly because they get a higher pick than us AND save more cap space.

This is a division rival who is looking to be a playoff contender,  not Buffalo.

Just now, Don Brodka Jr said:

Just don't understand why you help out Edmonton.. Trade him somewhere else for a 5th Rd if you have too! Fuck Edmonton! 

Yup, I'd agree here. My current stance on how this played out is, I would have rather given Pod a chance to see if he could suprise at training camp then acquire a 4th from the Oilers. If he couldn't crack the team, waive him and let him walk to Columbus or some other bottom feeder for free. Hell, who knows, maybe you slip him through waivers and we maintain depth and give him another chance to develop. Fuck the Oilers, and fuck helping them in anyway. I would rather have forgone the 4th round pick over helping them giving the Oilers, even a small chance, at seeing the upside that Podkolzin could still have. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Yup, I'd agree here. My current stance on how this played out is, I would have rather given Pod a chance to see if he could suprise at training camp then acquire a 4th from the Oilers. If he couldn't crack the team, waive him and let him walk to Columbus or some other bottom feeder for free. Hell, who knows, maybe you slip him through waivers and we maintain depth and give him another chance to develop. Fuck the Oilers, and fuck helping them in anyway. I would rather have forgone the 4th round pick over helping them giving the Oilers, even a small chance, at seeing the upside that Podkolzin could still have. 

Exactly.  So tired of people writing off Podkolzin when he was literally 22yo just 2 months ago.  He's still very young.  If we did that with Hoglander, he would have been potting 20+ goals with another team this past season.

Virtanen is not a good comparable either.  He was nearly 25yo when the Canucks dumped him.

3 minutes ago, tas said:

While I hate the trade, I would have to think this management team knows more. 

Like you said, maybe they looked at the current roster and realized there is no way for Podz to make it. They must have been tracking his development a lot more closely than we have. Maybe that injury last year really changed his trajectory. 

The main thing I don't like is, I don't want our team having part in helping oilers solve any of their problems even if it's just a little bit. For instance, Podz at 1m can be buried without a cap hit. If he can outperform any of their bottom 6 guys, we've made them a better team. If he can't, he'll get waived. 

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, PureQuickness said:

So why did we help the Oilers? We need to save cap and they end up saving more cap than us. On top of the 3rd round compensatory pick, the Ceci trade allows them to match Broberg. They'll need more space obviously to re-sign their other players, but they're no longer as screwed as they were in the first place.

We didn't screw over anybody.

its not about the cap, it's about turning a player you were going to inevitably lose for nothing into something. let the oilers worry about the oilers. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I'd agree with you if said player was a 25yo or 26yo vet.  We gave up on a potential powerforward when he was literally just 22yo a couple months ago.  If we gave up Hoglander after his first 3 attempts in the NHL for a 4th round pick because he wasn't good enough for our team at 22yo, how happy would we be after his performance this past season?

All I'm saying is it seems a bit early in Podz career to have just given up on him.  If he was 25yo, I could better rationalize it.

he's not going to make the team out of camp this year, he's not waiver exempt, there have been no better offers. the option is lose him for nothing on waivers or get what you can for him now. 

4 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

While I hate the trade, I would have to think this management team knows more. 

Like you said, maybe they looked at the current roster and realized there is no way for Podz to make it. They must have been tracking his development a lot more closely than we have. Maybe that injury last year really changed his trajectory. 

The main thing I don't like is, I don't want our team having part in helping oilers solve any of their problems even if it's just a little bit. For instance, Podz at 1m can be buried without a cap hit. If he can outperform any of their bottom 6 guys, we've made them a better team. If he can't, he'll get waived. 

exactly, and they'll be the ones losing the player for nothing while we got their 4th rounded for him. 

3 minutes ago, tas said:

objectively, since the canucks literally just got a 4th in exchange for him. its a fact. 

Again, subjectively. This is purely your opinion as of right now, this is not objective. You can't say this is trade is factually a net positive for the Canucks. The 4th could be another Gardner or Kunz and Podkolzin could be a serviceable bottom 6 forward on a rival team. That would make this a bad trade. Therefore, it's not objectively a good trade. 

I think a lot of fans here over-values Podkolzin.

He hasn't shown progress (in fact, shown a lot of regression) since his rookie season. Unfortunate development path for him, I think he could've been a more established NHLer by now if he came over the North American immediately after he got drafted instead of playing very little minutes in the KHL in Russia.

When he finally arrived here, he had a decent rookie season but in reality, he likely would've been better to spend some time in the AHL for some seasoning. Unfortunately, at the time, it was before this current management regime and our farm system was still a disaster from the Jim Benning era.

By the time he finally got some AHL development time over the last 2 seasons, I think we've missed out on the best window/opportunity for his development.

A lot of our fans still saw him as a top 10 pick in the draft, but that's not his value at this point of his career. The season before last, we picked up Vitali Kravtsov (9th OA pick from 2018 draft) from the Rangers for Lockwood + 7th round pick. Podkolzin is also waiver exempt, which means if we want to send him down to the AHL, he must go through waivers and he likely won't make it through and we would've lost him for nothing.

At this point of his career, GMs see him as a player who can be an effective bottom 6 players who brings energy to the team. These players are a dime in a dozen, but Podkolzin's value remains because he was a former top 10 pick hence he still have some trade value, and we can get a draft pick in return.

I wish Podkolzin the best as he appears to be a great person with a great attitude and I hope he can carve out an NHL career. However, I don't believe he would not be a player who moves the needle either way.

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1