(Trade) Podkolzin to Edmonton

22 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Yes. If Podkolzin benefits the Oilers I would have rather let him go for nothing to a team that is no threat to us. A 4th round pick does not hold a higher value to me then helping out the current front runner to exit victorious in the West Conference. I want the Canucks to win the cup. This trade as it stands does more to jeopardize that, however minimally, then increase our chances. It's entirely possible Podkolzin is a bust and the 4th rounder ends up being the best asset in the trade. But I think there is a higher chance that Podkolzin is a serviceable player for the Oilers and helps them more then the 4th rounder helps us.

There is some logic in your view but obviously management doesn't see it your way.

To be honest I'm super happy our management team is "ruthless", and makes decisions with all the emotion and sentimentality removed. It's about time and how a hockey team should be run imo. You have a dwindling asset you're not using, get something back, don't burn it into the ground and then get jack squat, like our old GM would. I really couldn't care less that it was Edmonton. He could just as easily get picked up on waivers if we traded him somewhere else.

Pods has had plenty of chances, I think it's a very low chance that he makes the Oilers team.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

This just forces people who were so emotionally invested in and attached to the player for so long to look in the mirror and admit the the fact that they may have been wrong and that the team no longer feels the same investment in that player. It's hard for some to accept and let go. 

That's unlikely to happen until they actually see Podz not do well in Edmonton.

Or, who knows, maybe Podz does do well in Edmonton, but no matter what, he's a project for Edmonton that may or may not pan out.

9 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

We’ve also had a very poor farm system up until recently.

So we can blame drafting but it’s not always that simple. I believe at least some of those players could have been NHLer with the proper coaching, trainers, systems, and progression plans in place.

It seems to me like a lot of our prospects were left lost in the woods trying to find their way. We also spent many years under Benning valuing older players in an attempt to squeak into the playoffs.

Our prospect development have been god awful forever outside of the goalie position. Outside of hoglander do we even have a non goalie that’s relevant in the nhl from the ahl? I’m just saying this coz I worry about lekkerimaki development in the ahl. The only draft picks that worked for Canucks so far non have spent time in the ahl. Canucks AHL is where most if not all prospect goes and rot. Remember all those prospect that we hyped up in the ahl? The madden the rathbone and prolly a whole list of others. They all disappeared.. karlsson is prolly trending that way. Hopefully raty will make it one day but not really holding out of him being much more than a fringe 3c/4c at best. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, tas said:

which wingers do you see being waived or traded instead of him?

Sure. But that's not the part I'm "concerned" about. I'm just wondering what "step 2" is. Again, moving Podz for a 4th isn't the problem. Indeed, it's largely inconsequential (good or bad directions). It's the lack of the a follow up move (so far) as to where my "concern" lies. I guess I'm just impatient to see the plan for that contract slot and flipping the 4th (and/or whatever else). Is that part of the plan to land us say Marcus Pettersson? Well then great! 

Stand alone, no other moves, this early, for just a 4th to a division rival.... Doesn't make a lot of sense on its own.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Moeknows said:

Unless this part of a bigger plan we got our pocket royally picked..basically an unproven 1st rounder with potential for a 4th rounder...C'mon who the F does THAT!!!

23 year old guy who has a lot of chances. Highly likely the Soilers waive Podz. He’s just not an NHLer. 

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 2

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Sure. But that's not the part I'm "concerned" about. I'm just wondering what "step 2" is. Again, moving Podz for a 4th isn't the problem. Indeed, it's largely inconsequential (good or bad directions). It's the lack of the a follow up move (so far) as to where my "concern" lies. I guess I'm just impatient to see the plan for that contract slot and flipping the 4th (and/or whatever else). Is that part of the plan to land us say Marcus Pettersson? Well then great! 

Stand alone, no other moves, this early, for just a 4th to a division rival.... Doesn't make a lot of sense on its own.

it still makes sense on its own because the team had too many forwards to start the season and somebody had to go one way or another. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, Moeknows said:

Unless this part of a bigger plan we got our pocket royally picked..basically an unproven 1st rounder with potential for a 4th rounder...C'mon who the F does THAT!!!

that's what happens when you shop at garage sales, you get a good deal. because if the stuff doesn't sell, the next stop is the garbage dump. 

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Obviously the coaches had a big say on moving Podz. That says a lot. If he was prepared to move on if he didn’t make the team in September then trading him was necessary. The roster is prepped for serious Cup play and better players are in place. Podz might still establish himself but not as a Canuck.

It was the typical over aggressive Rutherford type moves this past season to pay a ransom for Lindholm then not keep the player. Clearly we have an impatient coach in Tocchet, have to give some offensive players like Kuz more of a leash imo. He had great chemistry and nearly 40g playing with EP, Kuz gets dealt and EP falls off drastically...coincedence or was that minor injury to EP the only reason for him to suck to end the season and playoffs?

Mikheyev should've been the F going to Calgary not Kuzmenko. Especially with the draft picks and highly touted RHD prospect Hunter B. that we also included. Then we pay to rid ourselves from Mik by including a 2nd rd pick in 2027(sure we got a 4th back but come on...)The team already knew Pod had no future as a Canuck, so why not send him to Chicago instead of that 2027 2nd rd pick? Fans would have been disappointed with Podkolzin going to Chicago I think too, but not nearly as upset as trading him to Edm a team you just lost too in the playoffs...

If Canucks wanted to clear some cap/roster space they should've walked away from Myers & just signed Desharnais. Could have signed Schultz/Barrie/Shattenkirk for 1m to fill the void on D. Also, why not waive PDG, Aman and let there be a competitive training cap for Podkolzin to show to the Canucks or 31 other NHL teams that he might be worth a taking a chance on!? I also would onsider moving P.Suter after all these F FA additions, clearing another 1.6m.

If we walked from away from Myers thats 3m in cap, trade Suter to a bottom feeder thats another 1.6m. Have Aman and PDG maybe Juulsen on waivers if they clear great for AHL depth thats another near 3m in cap room. Adds up to us being able to have kept Lindholm, I also would seriously consider moving 4.95m 3rd line winger Garland, either use him in a top 6 role with EP or JT or move on from that high salary...

Poor drafting, trading so many picks and lack of patient in prospect development is going to bite this team big time over the next few years all while we deal with larger OEL dead cap buyout and will also have to extend or trade: Demko, Hughes, Boeser in the next 3 years & JT Miller may start to slow down when nearing his mid 30s...it catches up too 99% of players, hoping JT can hold off father time for as long as possible, we will need him too!!!

• Confused 2

18 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Because traded him. Allvin and the coaching staff clearly didn’t believe Podz could win a roster spot. The trade is the evidence. Smart by Allvin to make a deal now. After camp, during cuts, Podz value would be even less. IMHAO we see the Coilers putting Podz on waivers come the season. 

harry potter book GIF

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

There is some logic in your view but obviously management doesn't see it your way.

To be honest I'm super happy our management team is "ruthless", and makes decisions with all the emotion and sentimentality removed. It's about time and how a hockey team should be run imo. You have a dwindling asset you're not using, get something back, don't burn it into the ground and then get jack squat, like our old GM would. I really couldn't care less that it was Edmonton. He could just as easily get picked up on waivers if we traded him somewhere else.

Pods has had plenty of chances, I think it's a very low chance that he makes the Oilers team.

Exactly this. Spot on and well said. We've needed that ruthlessness for decades and a management team that isn't afraid to make those uncomfortable decisions. Podz had 5-years with us. The team took a huge leap forward and his development wasn't accelerating at the same rate to keep pace. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, Viking said:

It was the typical over aggressive Rutherford type moves this past season to pay a ransom for Lindholm then not keep the player. Clearly we have an impatient coach in Tocchet, have to give some offensive players like Kuz more of a leash imo. He had great chemistry and nearly 40g playing with EP, Kuz gets dealt and EP falls off drastically...coincedence or was that minor injury to EP the only reason for him to suck to end the season and playoffs?

Mikheyev should've been the F going to Calgary not Kuzmenko. Especially with the draft picks and highly touted RHD prospect Hunter B. that we also included. Then we pay to rid ourselves from Mik by including a 2nd rd pick in 2027(sure we got a 4th back but come on...)The team already knew Pod had no future as a Canuck, so why not send him to Chicago instead of that 2027 2nd rd pick? Fans would have been disappointed with Podkolzin going to Chicago I think too, but not nearly as upset as trading him to Edm a team you just lost too in the playoffs...

If Canucks wanted to clear some cap/roster space they should've walked away from Myers & just signed Desharnais. Could have signed Schultz/Barrie/Shattenkirk for 1m to fill the void on D. Also, why not waive PDG, Aman and let there be a competitive training cap for Podkolzin to show to the Canucks or 31 other NHL teams that he might be worth a taking a chance on!? I also would onsider moving P.Suter after all these F FA additions, clearing another 1.6m.

If we walked from away from Myers thats 3m in cap, trade Suter to a bottom feeder thats another 1.6m. Have Aman and PDG maybe Juulsen on waivers if they clear great for AHL depth thats another near 3m in cap room. Adds up to us being able to have kept Lindholm, I also would seriously consider moving 4.95m 3rd line winger Garland, either use him in a top 6 role with EP or JT or move on from that high salary...

Poor drafting, trading so many picks and lack of patient in prospect development is going to bite this team big time over the next few years all while we deal with larger OEL dead cap buyout and will also have to extend or trade: Demko, Hughes, Boeser in the next 3 years & JT Miller may start to slow down when nearing his mid 30s...it catches up too 99% of players, hoping JT can hold off father time for as long as possible, we will need him too!!!

While I completely disagree with the Myers part, I'm in general agreement.  There were far better options to create a roster spot.

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol so again which team in the last 10 years drafting in the top 10 had a worse rate? Edmonton drafted bad in terms of value but they are all nhl players. We drafted players that can’t even crack the nhl

Well, I'd look at Buffalo - hasn't exactly done much despite having more picks than us

Florida - yes, Florida who just won the cup but look at how many draft picks they had as well

Edmonton - similar team in terms of number of picks lately and similar in terms of drafting percentage

You have to realise too that a lot of our "unsuccess" is due to the fact that we haven't had a draft since 2018 where we've had a 1st, a 2nd, and a 3rd round pick. Since 2018, we've only drafted in the 1st round 3 times, the 2nd round 2 times, and the 3rd round 4 times. That's going to contribute a lot to not having a good draft record.

Compare that to the teams I mentioned above. Some teams like Buffalo have a lot more picks... but still have a bad record similar to us. Think about that.

• Vintage 1

38 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Would we lose him on waivers? A 4th 2 years from now is nice and all but it's hardly enough value that I'd lose any sleep on the very low chance of him being claimed during the flood of preseason waivers. 

Clearly this is about the contract slot, but for whom? I maintain it makes little sense to move him for barely more than nothing, unless you have a follow up move to use that contract slot for someone else. There has to be another move here.

Imo Sherwood, Heinen, Hogs, Suter, Blueger, and even Sprong are locks ahead of Vasily. Pods was not beating out Aman because Aman is a center. That left PDG, who is simply a better player right now, trusted by RT. Also my opinion but Pods was a massive longshot to make the team.

There was also that article he did in Russia apparently where he dissed his usage and development, and also questioned Kuz's treatment (I should read it first admittedly but just going off another's poster's comment here and spitballing). Maybe they said fine you know what go somewhere else then if you think that. We're fine with that. You're not that good.

Also, as for the contract slot my thoughts for awhile have been going towards getting rid of both Pods and PDG, and bringing up a Karlsson, Bains, Raty, Sassoon, or other to be the 13th guy. Then we can paper them down on off days and accrue cap space. Personally I think that's the best plan and this would be a step towards that. We're not losing anything except some middling experience with PDG in that scenario, which has been replaced by Sherwood anyway.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, The Lock said:

That's unlikely to happen until they actually see Podz not do well in Edmonton.

Or, who knows, maybe Podz does do well in Edmonton, but no matter what, he's a project for Edmonton that may or may not pan out.

Podz was a fan favourite and most fans really wanted him to make the team.  Regardless of what

management think of Podz game, there will be a lot of negative noise if Podz makes the Oilers and

gets to skate around with a cup this coming season.

There are a lot of 1st rounders in Podz draft class, who are underachieving and are no longer

waiver exempt.  I will be interested in what other teams will do with these circumstances.

Turcotte, Soderstrom, Thompson, Hienola, Poulen, Pelletier, Suzuki, to name a few.

I was hoping that management would put together a trade for another underachiever, like Krebs.

They would have to add something with Podz, but the return would be for a player that is NHL

ready, but still struggling to find his game.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

While I completely disagree with the Myers part, I'm in general agreement.  There were far better options to create a roster spot.

which forwards should they have removed from the NHL roster to make room for podkolzin?

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Viking said:

The answer to all your questions is simple: because we’d be a worse team. This was obviously the move that made sense to management and they’ve done well in righting the ship and moving on from mistakes. 

Also, don’t forget Tocc won the Jack Adams this year, so he’s obviously doing enough things right in other people’s opinion.

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

the best part of all of this is that it actually screws Edmonton over if they choose to match the offer sheets.

they pay a 3rd rounder and a 4th rounder to offload one serviceable player and bring in 2 that are unlikely to make their team all so they have the privilege of overpaying 2 middle of the road players in perpetuity, one of whom doesn't even want to be there and who they then won't be allowed to trade, upsetting their internal cap structure. 

• Cheers 1

You youngins might not know this but back in 1995 there was a Montreal Canadians player named John LeClair.  He put up modest numbers but was never able to find consistency in his game, he was young though and had a lot of talent with room to grow.  The Canadians didn't have the patients to develop him even though he scored 2 overtime game winning goals in the 1993 Stanley Cup playoffs and would be a big part of their Cup win. Despite that he was traded to the Flyers.

He would join a line with Eric Lindros and Renberg and together those 3 would form one of the most dominant lines in NHL history. the Legendary line was called  The Legion of Doom.

He would especially torment the Canadians for the rest of his career. Dominating the Canadians with 4 point games and hat-tricks.  He made the Canadians PAY. And there wasn't a day that past where the Canadians didn't dearly regret trading him.  Against the Canadians after they traded him he recorded 30 goals, 18 assists for 48 points in 33 games as a Flyer.

Is Podkolzin going to be our John LeClair?  Probably not, I really hope not. Saying that however the possibility is there.

Edited by Pure961089

1 hour ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Yes. If Podkolzin benefits the Oilers I would have rather let him go for nothing to a team that is no threat to us. A 4th round pick does not hold a higher value to me then helping out the current front runner to exit victorious in the West Conference. I want the Canucks to win the cup. This trade as it stands does more to jeopardize that, however minimally, then increase our chances. It's entirely possible Podkolzin is a bust and the 4th rounder ends up being the best asset in the trade. But I think there is a higher chance that Podkolzin is a serviceable player for the Oilers and helps them more then the 4th rounder helps us.

I keep seeing the argument that this doesn’t help the Oilers but I don’t agree with this. Whether they’re better than last year can be debated and they still have to worry about what to do when Kane comes off LTIR but for now they found a way to keep both Broberg and Holloway if they choose. That helps them and their fans are surprised Bowman was able to pull it off.

IMG_1729.jpeg

Just now, higgyfan said:

Podz was a fan favourite and most fans really wanted him to make the team.  Regardless of what

management think of Podz game, there will be a lot of negative noise if Podz makes the Oilers and

gets to skate around with a cup this coming season.

There are a lot of 1st rounders in Podz draft class, who are underachieving and are no longer

waiver exempt.  I will be interested in what other teams will do with these circumstances.

Turcotte, Soderstrom, Thompson, Hienola, Poulen, Pelletier, Suzuki, to name a few.

I was hoping that management would put together a trade for another underachiever, like Krebs.

They would have to add something with Podz, but the return would be for a player that is NHL

ready, but still struggling to find his game.

Yeah, that draft class so far has seemed pretty weak compared with other draft classes, which is interesting because I feel like I remember at the time people saying it was fairly strong.

That being said, these players could turn things around and, as you said, it will be interesting to see what happens to some of these players.

Finally. Wanted to see this putin lover gone for a while. Really don't care what the return was. And before you ask "why do you assume he's putin lover?" - I don't assume, I know. He openly supports the war in Ukraine (within the team locker room) and calls Ukrainians "khokhols" (which is a derogatory term for Ukrainians in russian language).

• Thanks 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Imo Sherwood, Heinen, Hogs, Suter, Blueger, and even Sprong are locks ahead of Vasily. Pods was not beating out Aman because Aman is a center. That left PDG, who is simply a better player right now, trusted by RT. Also my opinion but Pods was a massive longshot to make the team.

There was also that article he did in Russia apparently where he dissed his usage and development, and also questioned Kuz's treatment (I should read it first admittedly but just going off another's poster's comment here and spitballing). Maybe they said fine you know what go somewhere else then if you think that. We're fine with that. You're not that good.

Also, as for the contract slot my thoughts for awhile have been going towards getting rid of both Pods and PDG, and bringing up a Karlsson, Bains, Raty, Sassoon, or other to be the 13th guy. Then we can paper them down on off days and accrue cap space. Personally I think that's the best plan and this would be a step towards that. We're not losing anything except some middling experience with PDG in that scenario, which has been replaced by Sherwood anyway.

Again, I'm not particularly concerned with them moving Podz, I'm just waiting/wondering what the follow up move is.

This early, to a division rival (in a major cap crunch no less), for almost nothing, with no other follow up moves doesn't make a lot of sense on its own

Does the 4th get flipped to dump Poolman? Do we use that cap (and the contract slots) and something else to add Marcus Pettersson? Great! I'll need to see those moves before fully judging this one though. That's my point.

• ThereItIs 2