(Trade) Podkolzin to Edmonton

2 minutes ago, RomanPer said:

Finally. Wanted to see this putin lover gone for a while. Really don't care what the return was. And before you ask "why do you assume he's putin lover?" - I don't assume, I know. He openly supports the war in Ukraine (within the team locker room) and calls Ukrainians "khokhols" (which is a derogatory term for Ukrainians in russian language).

Well that's pretty damning if true.

1 minute ago, RomanPer said:

Finally. Wanted to see this putin lover gone for a while. Really don't care what the return was. And before you ask "why do you assume he's putin lover?" - I don't assume, I know. He openly supports the war in Ukraine (within the team locker room) and calls Ukrainians "khokhols" (which is a derogatory term for Ukrainians in russian language).

Man... I can only imagine the conversations that might have taken place between Podz and Zadorov... hopefully with Zadorov putting him in his place.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol so again which team in the last 10 years drafting in the top 10 had a worse rate? Edmonton drafted bad in terms of value but they are all nhl players. We drafted players that can’t even crack the nhl

Look at the Oilers draft position in those picks & compare that to the Canucks.  Many 1st overall picks.  Even a bad drafter like Mike Gillis might find a gem with that many chances 🤣

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Again, I'm not particularly concerned with them moving Podz, I'm just waiting/wondering what the follow up move is.

This early, to a division rival (in a major cap crunch no less), for almost nothing, with no other follow up moves doesn't make a lot of sense on its own

Does the 4th get flipped to dump Poolman? Do we use that cap (and the contract slots) and something else to add Marcus Pettersson? Great! I'll need to see those moves before fully judging this one though. That's my point.

You never know honestly. With this management team, I'd be surprised if we kept the 4th rounder. That being said, maybe it's not necessarily for a follow-up trade as it is to have a sweetener for later? Only time will tell.

Just now, The Lock said:

You never know honestly. With this management team, I'd be surprised if we kept the 4th rounder. That being said, maybe it's not necessarily for a follow-up trade as it is to have a sweetener for later? Only time will tell.

That "sweetener" would be... for a follow up trade, no?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RomanPer said:

The relief he expressed for being away from Russia combined with a vocal support for Russia... Perhaps the fear he has been exuding is fear.

Just now, aGENT said:

That "sweetener" would be... for a follow up trade, no?

I guess that depends on whether or not you think a "follow up trade" is time sensitive. I'm talking more from an assumption that a follow up trade would mean a trade before the start of the season.

If you're referring to a follow up trade also including any trade that happens during the season, then we're in agreement and just thinking differently about our definitions.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Man... I can only imagine the conversations that might have taken place between Podz and Zadorov... hopefully with Zadorov putting him in his place.

Yeah, I can't see him talking that way in the Vancouver dressing room.  He would have been shut down

pretty quickly by the leaders and more seasoned players.

Maybe in Abby, but if this is true, it gives the Abby players a bad look if they allowed him to talk

that way. 

4 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I guess that depends on whether or not you think a "follow up trade" is time sensitive. I'm talking more from an assumption that a follow up trade would mean a trade before the start of the season.

If you're referring to a follow up trade also including any trade that happens during the season, then we're in agreement and just thinking differently about our definitions.

Gathering resources for future moves you hope to make as apposed to acquiring a piece needed for an immediate trade.

For all we know management has been on the phones all summer seeing what moves can be made now in an attempt to bolster their future bargaining power, at whatever point in the season it may be needed.

1 minute ago, higgyfan said:

Yeah, I can't see him talking that way in the Vancouver dressing room.  He would have been shut down

Maybe in Abby, but if this is true, it gives the Abby players a bad look if they allowed him to talk

that way. 

You can try to discourage and or outright disagree with and denounce the position someone takes, doesn't mean you have a legal or positional authority to stop someone if the comments are a general feeling or belief.

He could have disparaged Ukrainians without actually saying he wants them murdered, he could support Russian without saying he support unjust acts, it would make for a very uncomfortable setting if true and doesn't directly mean the players in either locker room where not doing what they could to push against it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

that way. 

Well, we've seen most Russian players keep quiet about the whole situation publicly, so most likely any conversation like that would have to be in private. I'm not really talking about it being a locker room conversation so much as I am a potential 1-to-1 conversation, maybe at dinner or something.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

Sorry, 23.  My mistake, but it doesn't change anything.

It does, because at 23 he is now waiver eligibile. Which means, we can't send him to Abottsford without going through waivers, and if he is on waiver, one of San Jose, Chicago, Anaheim or Columbus might put a claim on him and we would lose him for nothing. As of now, we got a draft pick back and that's good asset management. If we lose him for nothing, I am sure a lot of people here would complain why we didn't trade him for a pick before camp.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, Supreme17 said:

Gathering resources for future moves you hope to make as apposed to acquiring a piece needed for an immediate trade.

For all we know management has been on the phones all summer seeing what moves can be made now in an attempt to bolster their future bargaining power, at whatever point in the season it may be needed.

Yeah. That's a better way to describe the difference and what I'm thinking a "follow up trade" would be or would not be. Basically, what you said in terms of acquiring a piece needed for an immediate trade, that immediate trade would be what I would describe as the follow up trade. 🙂

At this point, with the number of trades this management team gets done, I expect Allvin probably goes to bed with 5 phones at all times just in case a deal comes along. lol

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Well, we've seen most Russian players keep quiet about the whole situation publicly, so most likely any conversation like that would have to be in private. I'm not really talking about it being a locker room conversation so much as I am a potential 1-to-1 conversation, maybe at dinner or something.

Support Russia and you're screwed as an international pro. Support Ukraine and you're screwed at home. They indeed better keep quiet.

Politics aside I think acquiring a half-shit pick is better than letting another team do a Vancouver and steal a bust for free, for the desperate hope that it works out.

• Cheers 3

25 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

I keep seeing the argument that this doesn’t help the Oilers but I don’t agree with this. Whether they’re better than last year can be debated and they still have to worry about what to do when Kane comes off LTIR but for now they found a way to keep both Broberg and Holloway if they choose. That helps them and their fans are surprised Bowman was able to pull it off.

IMG_1729.jpeg

You got only one goalie on your depth chart and Kane has a sports hernia the injury is 6-12 week recovery time he could be back for game 1 of the season, no this def hurts the oilers they are paying 4.5-5 million more than they wanted to for the kids gotta add in 

Kane 5.125

Pickard 1.0

they got a lot of work to still do, Kane doesn’t strike me as the kind of player that will wanna fake an injury all season for playoffs he seems like he wants to play 

1 hour ago, The Lock said:

Because he was not going to be here by October given how many good players we have on this team. We're actually a good team now and in a similar siatuation to 12-15 years ago when it was hard for rookies like Grabner to make the team.

Also, I honestly have yet to see his game fully translate to the NHL. After that 1st season, he struggled and hasn't really shown much outside of the AHL. Don't get me wrong. He's changed his game to hopefully get a spot in the NHL as a bottom 6, but he still has yet to fully crack the NHL. He's an unknown and that's the issue since we're in a situation where it's expected that we have a good team this year. If we base things on what a player was like 3 or 4 years ago, that's the very definition of living in the past. If anything, he's shown he's not that same player and it's unfortunate, but it's the reality.

This is it exactly. You should theoretically give your high picks a good chance, and maybe more leash than others. However it's also dependent on your team goals. Currently we're absolutely loaded with wingers who are better than Pods while simultaneously the team being in a very completive situation. Unfortunately, we don't have the luxury of babying him along at this point. Timing not good for Pods, team comes first.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, tas said:

he's not going to make the team out of camp this year, he's not waiver exempt, there have been no better offers. the option is lose him for nothing on waivers or get what you can for him now. 

If all we could get was a 4th round pick from a division rival that has their backs against the wall due to cap hit, there is arguably a very good chance that Podkolzin would have cleared waivers if we waived him late in the summer along with the other 31 teams waiving guys to demote as well.  There's usually 20 or 30 or even more guys on waivers at the same time in a single day when teams are gearing up and finalizing their rosters.  

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Grankåda said:

Support Russia and you're screwed as an international pro. Support Ukraine and you're screwed at home. They indeed better keep quiet.

Politics aside I think acquiring a half-shit pick is better than letting another team do a Vancouver and steal a bust for free, for the desperate hope that it works out.

Yeah, it hurts seeing him go; he was 1 of our only 1st round picks over the past 6 years after all; but there definately comes a point where you have to make that decision if trying to hand him a roster spot could actually hurt your team.

I can only imagine this forum if we had drafted Pouliot and traded him in a similar manner. I'm sure we'd have fans going "but what if Pouliot turns it around???" lol

Edited by The Lock
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, HKSR said:

If all we could get was a 4th round pick from a division rival that has their backs against the wall due to cap hit, there is arguably a very good chance that Podkolzin would have cleared waivers if we waived him late in the summer along with the other 31 teams waiving guys to demote as well.  There's usually 20 or 30 or even more guys on waivers at the same time in a single day when teams are gearing up and finalizing their rosters.  

I'd rather take the asset now then *hope* I don't lose the player for nothing. 

regardless, the writing seemed on the wall for podkolzin when the team brought in a metric shit tonne of wingers this offseason. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Would we lose him on waivers? A 4th 2 years from now is nice and all but it's hardly enough value that I'd lose any sleep on the very low chance of him being claimed during the flood of preseason waivers. 

Clearly this is about the contract slot, but for whom? I maintain it makes little sense to move him for barely more than nothing, unless you have a follow up move to use that contract slot for someone else. There has to be another move here.

I do personally think someone would have claimed him on waivers, but I agree there was a chance with the flood that opens when the first batch of waivers happen he might have passed through. I don't love the trade and wished Podz got 1 more year.

As you said (and I agree) it was more about the contract spot and management thinking he'd not grow to be anything more then a bottom 6 guy. 

Gotta be a Dman as the next body coming in and maybe leave a spot unfilled in case a move in-season becomes available. I wonder if they'll look to make a trade for a Dman or something simpler like taking a chance on the remaining unsigned guys.

33 minutes ago, RomanPer said:

Good riddance then. 4th round pick or nothing at all, whatever. We can't have this stuff in the locker room. He is still entitled to his opinions, but using derogatory ethnic terms is Racist and absolutely unacceptable. 

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Captain insano said:

You got only one goalie on your depth chart and Kane has a sports hernia the injury is 6-12 week recovery time he could be back for game 1 of the season, no this def hurts the oilers they are paying 4.5-5 million more than they wanted to for the kids gotta add in 

Kane 5.125

Pickard 1.0

they got a lot of work to still do, Kane doesn’t strike me as the kind of player that will wanna fake an injury all season for playoffs he seems like he wants to play 

The depth chart isn’t mine but it does have 2 goalies - Skinner @ 2.6 & Pickard @ 1 M = 3.6

For sure they have more to deal with but Bowman managed to kick the can down the road and keep both offer-sheeted guys if he chooses. 

7 minutes ago, tas said:

I'd rather take the asset now then *hope* I don't lose the player for nothing. 

regardless, the writing seemed on the wall for podkolzin when the team brought in a metric shit tonne of wingers this offseason. 

I think what I and other posters here are upset with is that he is still a very young player.  22yo as of 2 months ago.  There's still plenty of time for him to develop.  If we did the same with Hoglander last year because he had 3 mediocre seasons in the NHL, would we not be kicking ourselves now?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tas said:

objectively, since the canucks literally just got a 4th in exchange for him. its a fact. 

Subjectively, Allvin somehow just gave EDM the missing link to a cup of you believe some of this stuff. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

I think what I and other posters here are upset with is that he is still a very young player.  22yo as of 2 months ago.  There's still plenty of time for him to develop.  If we did the same with Hoglander last year because he had 3 mediocre seasons in the NHL, would we not be kicking ourselves now?

not really.

and there's no room to develop players in the NHL when you're trying to win championships, and the ahl obviously isn't getting him there. 

all the same people who are pissed about this trade would be way more pissed in october if he got plucked off waivers.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1